Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Okay so I get this now, thanks for straightening this out everyone since I was pretty confused by all this. Okay, it IS good he gets money for charity.
But that doesn't excuse the fact he's a godawful Youtuber. We're agreed on that. It's just that DSP is godawfully worse somehow and we all got every reason under the sun listed above. Seriously though, what's the deal with Markiplier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

OK, I thought the claim was that most of his income goes to charity. No, I'm not going to do in-depth research about PewDiePie's financial statements.

So, couple things:

1. His initial 10k to WWF (which is the big one his fans point to) is prize money from winning a "King of the Web" contest. He didn't up and decide to just give away 10k of his revenue. The clean water thing, though? Who knows - that could've easily have been from his revenue stream.

2. The one thing about charity is - again, I don't know if this is true in Sweden - that you get tax breaks from it. It might be financially smarter to give away the 10k and take it as a tax break on your other normal income rather than take the lump sum after taxes. I am not saying that's why he did this since no one can really know that except he and his accountant. But I will say that acts of philanthropy like this don't automatically mean they came from the goodness of one's heart.

All that said, I don't think he's a bad person, I think he's just ridiculously childish about certain things. Who could blame him? He's actually rewarded for that. And again, the thing about the "I'm sorry" video is "Look, I'm not in it for money - I gave money to charity" and then he keeps ads running on his apology video. I mean, that's kind of a ridiculous oversight to make.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FinalGamer posted:

Okay so I get this now, thanks for straightening this out everyone since I was pretty confused by all this. Okay, it IS good he gets money for charity.
But that doesn't excuse the fact he's a godawful Youtuber. We're agreed on that. It's just that DSP is godawfully worse somehow and we all got every reason under the sun listed above. Seriously though, what's the deal with Markiplier?

Now DSP on the other hand, is... I don't even know. I don't mean this as an insult, but the nicest way I can put it is that Pewdiepie does ... ill-advised things. He doesn't think stuff through (see, again, running ads on the apology video) and he's a guy in his 20s. When we called out Pewdiepie on his weird rape thing, I think he was against doing anything about it at first, because it would seem like "we won" before finally conceding it.

DSP is ridiculously not self-aware, and at his age (early 30s, I think) it's almost sad. His whole persona is based on King of Hate and yelling at the games, the fans, etc. Then when people don't actually like it, he figures he needs something (like a rebranding) but instead tries a Twitter hashtag called #dspositive and nothing else. He's just really bad at what he does, and rather than examine why that is, he goes with what worked for him in the past: pumping out content at a ridiculous rate.

edit: Markiplier strikes me as a "monkey see, monkey do" kind of LPer which you see a lot of. But he has good capture equipment and some video editing knowledge. He basically apes the Pewdiepie method, with less of a strange accent.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

What's Khad been up to these days? Last I remember his Thief LP's got gas chambered and he moved on to releasing videos on his own website. Did he ever end up jumping onto the monitizing trend?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He got separated from his dog and thus no one wanted to watch his videos anymore

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

What's Khad been up to these days? Last I remember his Thief LP's got gas chambered and he moved on to releasing videos on his own website. Did he ever end up jumping onto the monitizing trend?

It looks like he's still doing stuff, which is kind of surprising to me. The last time I looked at his site was after his "triumphant" return and its failure seemed to really bum him out to the point where he was considering not doing LP's anymore, if I remember correctly.
He also seems to be working on some sort of SCP Foundation fan-game.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Slowbeef posted:

Now DSP on the other hand, is... I don't even know. I don't mean this as an insult, but the nicest way I can put it is that Pewdiepie does ... ill-advised things. He doesn't think stuff through (see, again, running ads on the apology video) and he's a guy in his 20s. When we called out Pewdiepie on his weird rape thing, I think he was against doing anything about it at first, because it would seem like "we won" before finally conceding it.

DSP is ridiculously not self-aware, and at his age (early 30s, I think) it's almost sad. His whole persona is based on King of Hate and yelling at the games, the fans, etc. Then when people don't actually like it, he figures he needs something (like a rebranding) but instead tries a Twitter hashtag called #dspositive and nothing else. He's just really bad at what he does, and rather than examine why that is, he goes with what worked for him in the past: pumping out content at a ridiculous rate.

edit: Markiplier strikes me as a "monkey see, monkey do" kind of LPer which you see a lot of. But he has good capture equipment and some video editing knowledge. He basically apes the Pewdiepie method, with less of a strange accent.
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah I'm seeing that too, PewDiePie is...stupid but young, doesn't excuse him but doesn't give him as much hate as the other people do that are even sadder cases.

Now...jesus DSP is in his 30s?! Awwwwww that-aaaaawwwww that's just pathetically bad. Awww I can't handle this, I wanna move on now.

Slowbeef, are there any Let's Players out there that you love at all? Like any you just really like for some reason, and I'm not talking about BillyMC or so unless you wanna bring him up because well, he's Billy!
But yanno, anyone in more recent times that caught your attention or so that you loved?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Well since Raocow doesn't post here anymore, I guess he counts as offsite, and I love him to bits.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FinalGamer posted:

Slowbeef, are there any Let's Players out there that you love at all? Like any you just really like for some reason, and I'm not talking about BillyMC or so unless you wanna bring him up because well, he's Billy!

Does it count if I've had them on Retsutalk?

One thing about Northernlion is he seems like a natural. Even stuff like those videos where all he does is open Hearthstone packs? I was sort of stunned when I watched one and he seemed to have relevant commentary throughout! That seems like a video destined for cheap content: a.k.a. "There couldn't possibly be much to say about this, but it's a video game thing I did so I guess I'll post" but somehow, he actually did talk about what he was doing an interesting way the whole time!

I also gave him grief for his 600+ (really) BoI videos, but again, each time, he actually seems to have poo poo to say about his current run, run-time evaluations of how he's doing, etc. I was beyond skeptical that any could keep that up for that long, but he seems like he's actually doing it, so...

DoctorWhat posted:

Well since Raocow doesn't post here anymore, I guess he counts as offsite, and I love him to bits.

Let me tell you a story about raocow.

Once long ago, I ran a multi-round Neo Geo contest - you picked the game, people voted on which LP they liked best, etc. raocow chose Samurai Showdown 2 and did his usual shtick. He won the round.

This was when he was popular here... so he PMed me and told me that he felt like the 2nd place person was really good, and that he only won because of his popularity. With that in mind, he wanted to withdraw. And he did this privately, mind. Didn't make a big public display on the forums, didn't make a show of it, nothing. He just felt it was the right thing to do.

raocow's stuff isn't really for me (but it's definitely on the watchable spectrum), but that was really impressive. I told him to stay in the contest - I think he lost the next round, though I don't recall.

Great guy.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

FinalGamer posted:

Now...jesus DSP is in his 30s?! Awwwwww that-aaaaawwwww that's just pathetically bad. Awww I can't handle this, I wanna move on now.

No, gently caress you, I'm driving this depression train into the station now:

Wikitubia entry on DSP posted:

DarksydePhil was laid off from his former job (presumably a desk-job at Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation which is part of UTC) in 2010.

I mentioned this exact line early in this thread but it is worth repeating: Phil is not only a real adult, but he once had a real adult job. There was one major layoff at the company in 2010, which hit 200 people across the world, 1% of the staff of the Sikorsky branch of UTC.

If that was the layoff that saw DSP become a YouTube superstar he must have either been redundant or noticeably bad at his job.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Slowbeef posted:

2. The one thing about charity is - again, I don't know if this is true in Sweden - that you get tax breaks from it. It might be financially smarter to give away the 10k and take it as a tax break on your other normal income rather than take the lump sum after taxes. I am not saying that's why he did this since no one can really know that except he and his accountant. But I will say that acts of philanthropy like this don't automatically mean they came from the goodness of one's heart.

Per this, there is no tax advantages to donating to charity vs. not doing so in Sweden - you pay the same amount in income tax anyway. Bearing in mind that Swedish tax rates in are high (when you look at the quality of public services in the nordic nations, rightly so!), he keeps a lot less of his money than some people perhaps think.

Last I heard, he's based in the UK now. HMRC state that as a higher earner on personal income tax, you can claim some tax back if you make a gift aid donation to a charity (gift aid is a thing that allows charities to claim back taxes on donations from any UK taxpayer - it helps the charity, not the donator. Although the state get less money from a person, donating to a charity through giftaid would not reduce your tax ball - in fact, they'll ask you to pay the shortfall if you donate to a charity and the tax bill on the donation is more that your annual income tax liability). However, it seems as this is only on gifts of land, buildings or shares to charities, and I can't imagine that he'd have bought any of those just to get out of paying a little bit of tax.

Based on that, it looks like he gave for positive reasons, and that he did not gain financially out of it :unsmith:

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 8, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Per a European Court of Justice ruling made in 2009 any charitable donation made within the EU borders, including cross border givings, to a NGO capable of providing a valid charitable status must be treated as constituting a basis for tax deduction. Though based on Sweden's tax laws the maximum deduction per person i less than 1000 dollars.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 8, 2014

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

FinalGamer posted:

I know how you feel, I showed one This is how you DON'T play MGS2 to a friend of mine. He thought Phil was fourteen.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Is it weird that the vocal tic I hone in on more than any other about DSP is "yes"? Forget the hyena laugh, the insulting imitation of his fans' suggestions, ruining the gravitas of cutscenes by singing to the nonexistent tune of a background choir and whatever else, something about him just going "I'm stating what just happened in the game and that means that I am not at fault, yes" drives me to breaking point. Is he doing it to reinforce his own opinion to himself? It comes off like he has to actively remind himself that the game is just bullshit and that, say, the fifth fight in Shadow of the Colossus (the bird) is bad because you fall off if you're not holding on.

Speaking of SotC, if you haven't watched the video, he got lost. On the way to the first colossus.

And the comparison between DSP and PDP always ends up reminding me of Yahtzee's comment about Capcom re: Resident Evil 5's racism. PDP doesn't come off as a genuinely bad person, at worst he's just kind of an idiot. DSP is a bad person [i]and[/] an idiot.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

I didn't know that about Raocow but it actually makes me appreciate his videos even more. Nice guy.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
Just chiming in one more time on Phil before I move on to better things (read: anything else). First, I find PDP annoying, but harmless. I mean, the guy clearly panders towards a younger audience than I fall into so, that may be the part that makes it so that I just don't get it. He does some stupid stuff, but we all do. The worst thing is that he's annoying, I don't even think he's a bad person or tries to use Charity to say he's good or anything. I don't know what he is doing with his money, and, quite bluntly, don't much care.

Phil, on the other hand, is the B^Uckley of Youtube. Everything he touches is bad. It almost seems like he could be a parody of what he does because he does it so much. He isn't nice to anyone, nevermind his fans. Any criticism is taken as terrible. He actively works to keep everything focused on him. He's hypocritical about his views of his videos as intellectual property and other people making commentary. And the worst part is, some rumors have it that PandaLee was underage when they started dating, even putting Phil in the Buckley boat of pedophilia rumors.

This started as kind of stream of consciousness, but, poo poo, Phil really is to LPs what Buckley is to Web comics, it is disturbing.

As for his gimmick (or just personality) of "it's not my fault", he claims that its because it was a big hit at arcades when he was like 12 and would lose, and blame the control stick, whatever, but the man has not grown up. He will never improve because his response to everything is never to analyze how he can fix something, because he is never the one at fault. And, bringing it back to PDP, at least he stopped yelling rape like it was a joke. He made a very small, very minor improvement for the wrong reason, but he made the change. Phil's biggest change is that he is playing Nintendo games for the internet "again" (I use quotes because I am fairly sure he never stopped) because the focus is supposed to be the games. I'm sure he will follow through with that, but its not improvement, he claims he is good enough.

On someone that I know will be divisive, but I really enjoy, there are some videos related to games, not usually LPs, but there are some, from Broteam which I really enjoy, though they have not done anything in a while, though, that could be because Broteam Pill has kind of taken it to his own channel rather than Machinima. Probably not everyone's cup of team, but I really enjoy them and would recommend giving it a shot at least.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Slowbeef posted:

Let me tell you a story about raocow.
Wow...what a super nice guy. :)

Also yeah I had not much on Northernlion and I dunno who he was, but I was curious to hear the awesome interview he had with the creator of Binding of Isaac and I loved it! He seemed a cool guy, both of them, and I liked Northernlion a lot. It's just the many videos that kinda scare me from getting into him.

Do you have any vids you personally recommend from Northernlion? And I'm...yeah I really need to catch up on Retsutalk sometime.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I appreciate PDP's charity work because even though he's an unfunny and obnoxious douchebag, at least he puts SOME of his ill-gotten gains to worthwhile causes. I may not care for his screechy tirades but at least, deep down, there's something he's willing to use his fame for in a positive light. Plus (and correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen anything from him other than a few happy wheels videos) he seems to be a generally positive person and doesn't insult the entire world, especially his fanbase.

Holon
Dec 4, 2013

Time and time again...

Roar posted:

I appreciate PDP's charity work because even though he's an unfunny and obnoxious douchebag, at least he puts SOME of his ill-gotten gains to worthwhile causes. I may not care for his screechy tirades but at least, deep down, there's something he's willing to use his fame for in a positive light. Plus (and correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen anything from him other than a few happy wheels videos) he seems to be a generally positive person and doesn't insult the entire world, especially his fanbase.

He insulted a good portion of the world with his Rape shouting and poo poo. I can't tell if your last remark was sarcastic or not but he tends to just be offensive at times. He's never really an rear end in a top hat about it, more like a little kid who learned that a word gets a reaction from his fans, and apparently, at least for a time (I'm not sure if he gave up on shouting rape) the word is rape, and his legions of zomb- I mean fans, defend that aspect of him.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
It's more like someone who uses the word human being or something equally offensive. Someone who calls someone a fag when he thinks they're losers or something is immature and pretty terrible, but it's less terrible (???) then someone who legit calls a homosexual person that. They're both pretty awful but one is more awful than the other I guess.

I dunno I guess what I'm trying to say is DSP is a really awful human being and PDP is like you said, a really immature and annoying kid.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Wikitubia entry on DSP posted:

DarksydePhil was laid off from his former job (presumably a desk-job at Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation which is part of UTC) in 2010.

Why do they call it an aircraft company? Sikorsky makes helicopters, not aircraft! Helicopters don't have wings! That's stupid! WHY ISN'T MY DESK A HELICOPTER?

...I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
an aircraft is something that flies hth

Holon
Dec 4, 2013

Time and time again...
My argument about calling someone names as either of these persons do is that its just not right. It's like calling someone retarded as an insult, it's like sixth grade level right there. If you are looking for something to call someone to insult them and all you come up with is "retard" or "human being" you really have no business insulting them. For instance if you were going to properly insult either of the two, you'd call PDP Childish and Immature, and you'd call DSP a Crybaby and an rear end (douchebag, dick, whatever).

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Roar posted:

I dunno I guess what I'm trying to say is DSP is a really awful human being and PDP is like you said, a really immature and annoying kid.

I'm not going to cast PDP in even that much of a positive light, though. He does pander to kids - I mean little kids - with his sort of weird non-sequitir crap but still goes with "suck my black dick" kinda humor when the chips are down. He's also vain as hell, and if he's cornered, he will change his story to make himself look better. "Adults React to Pewdiepie" was "pretty funny [he'll admit]" until he got poo poo for his comment about money; then it was "childish" which is that smarmy sort of "I want everyone to like me!" kind of weaseling.

Also, his Heayy Rain videos, he actually does root for the rapists. I'm serious: In Madison's intro, masked guys throw her on a bed and he says "Now we're talking!" This was after "it's rapin' time!" I mean there's ignorance, and there's holy poo poo, you really have no loving clue what you're saying.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Suck my black dick is something I would think was funny when i was a kid, are you sure you're not just old slowbeef?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Livingtrope posted:

Suck my black dick is something I would think was funny when i was a kid, are you sure you're not just old slowbeef?

I am old and thinking about it more, he does title his videos "TOILET FULL OF PERIOD" and such, so I might be wrong there... but I wouldn't let a first-grader watch Pewdiepie.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

This is one of two times I've seen this come up in the thread since the DSP hate train got back on the rails.

I am utterly failing to understand how that changes anything at all about PDP or how I'm supposed to feel about PDP. The fact that he feels the need to tell people he gives money to charity actually makes me dislike him more for trying to use that as a way to dismiss criticism against him that he is just doing things for money.

I guess the idea is that even if he's an rear end in a top hat, he is a potentially productive one. It doesn't mean you necessarily have to like him, but just maybe the world is a better place in part because of his existence. If he donates money to charity it does technically mean that there are fewer dying children or whatever in the world because of him. Even if he's still incredibly annoying to listen to and you can make a strong argument for him being a terrible human being.

DSP lacks that redeeming quality.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I guess the idea is that even if he's an rear end in a top hat, he is a potentially productive one. It doesn't mean you necessarily have to like him, but just maybe the world is a better place in part because of his existence. If he donates money to charity it does technically mean that there are fewer dying children or whatever in the world because of him. Even if he's still incredibly annoying to listen to and you can make a strong argument for him being a terrible human being.

I disagree with this, but it's probably getting too serious, so I will bring up one other funny thing: here's a good reason to watch your videos before publishing.

PDP decided to LP a browser game. He alt-tabbed over at one point and ... whoops, "Big tittied teen gives blowjob" and some other porn stuff was in his downloads.

DSP sorta did this same thing... except it was a movie thumbnail on his hard drive... of his girlfriend. I forget the details but apparently it was a sexy video she'd made of herself for him and well, it's in a Let's Play now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

I disagree with this, but it's probably getting too serious, so I will bring up one other funny thing: here's a good reason to watch your videos before publishing.

PDP decided to LP a browser game. He alt-tabbed over at one point and ... whoops, "Big tittied teen gives blowjob" and some other porn stuff was in his downloads.

DSP sorta did this same thing... except it was a movie thumbnail on his hard drive... of his girlfriend. I forget the details but apparently it was a sexy video she'd made of herself for him and well, it's in a Let's Play now.

I get the stuff about PDP just not knowing better, but he can be pretty unpleasant sometimes, I'd struggle to excuse that on grounds of ignorance/positive feedback loops and the like, but yeah, probably best not to go into that.

Also, :psyduck: seriously?

Actually, it occurs to me that I'm more confused how he can possibly manage to get a. a girlfriend and b. her to make sexy videos for him.

That's one thing that confuses me a lot, really. How do youtube celebrities have personal lives? I mean, youtube stardom is kind of getting really personal in the public eye, without the benefit of a media crew like actual celebrities have. It's really weird that people can have personal lives when the depth of their madness are recorded forever on the internet. I'm pretty sure nobody would want to sleep with me if I had hundreds of videos of me swearing at videogames on youtube while pulling faces in my webcam. Like anyone would want to sleep with you anyway!

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 9, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Slowbeef posted:

I bet it was a fake planted video.

:siren: MYREALGIRLFRIENDBLOWSME.avi :siren:

I wouldn't be surprised if his girlfriend is just part of his shtick because he is such an unpleasant person to be with.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Roar posted:

I bet it was a fake planted video.

:siren: MYREALGIRLFRIENDBLOWSME.avi :siren:

I wouldn't be surprised if his girlfriend is just part of his shtick because he is such an unpleasant person to be with.

that's way too complicated for DSP to think of/do

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, I don't think it's an act, even if it was at one point. The only explanation is that there are enough horrible people that two were able to find each other. Anyone willing to watch her videos to find out if she's as bad?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Slowbeef posted:

That'll be something fun to bring up if they ever apply for a job involving video editing.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

MooCowlian posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's an act, even if it was at one point. The only explanation is that there are enough horrible people that two were able to find each other. Anyone willing to watch her videos to find out if she's as bad?

She's pretty much exactly what you'd expect. Same shtick with gender adjustments.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Slowbeef posted:

...okay yeah that's PRETTY loving terrible, editing is one thing but when you're catering to a fanbase of kids or younger audience, that's pretty irresponsible poo poo. gently caress this.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Roar posted:

No, he does have a girlfriend, she's about nineteen. From what I hear even Phil's hardcore fan hates her guts.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If PDP had a browser that had "Girl gets Raped" in another tab, I honestly don't know if that would be an accident for him or if that would be something he would think is a joke, because for all the good and bad you could say about him, I really don't think he understands rape.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm guessing they were streaming when doing something like that, because if they were recording and accidentally put that in the recording then why didn't they edit it out? Do they not care if something like that is in their video? Did they not look back through their footage? Or is every second they don't record something a waste of a second when they could be making more MONEY.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I'm guessing they were streaming when doing something like that, because if they were recording and accidentally put that in the recording then why didn't they edit it out? Do they not care if something like that is in their video? Did they not look back through their footage? Or is every second they don't record something a waste of a second when they could be making more MONEY.

i'm sure it's them not bothering to edit it. definitely so in dsp's case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

DSP seems to just plug his camera in and upload, so it's understandable, if not really acceptable, that it got through. PDP seems to edit to put stupid subtitles for his screaming and cut out the non screaming sections. That's got to have been some sort of joke to him, right?

• Locked thread