Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Naelyan posted:

My girlfriend (also a chef) has been at her m-f 9-5 for about two months now. You'll get used to it.

Also she cooks me dinner all the time now and that's awesome. Got her a kitchenaid pasta attachment for Christmas and I get fresh pasta like 4 times a week.

FYI - Eating to much gluten can make your body build up an immune response to it. Make sure you're also eating healthy amounts of fruits, vegetables, and meats.

Gluten allergies are a thing, but it's becoming more common since gluten is so prevalent in lots of fast food and in almost everyone's diet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p6CK_QlagWA#t=134

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SlayVus posted:

FYI - Eating to much gluten can make your body build up an immune response to it. Make sure you're also eating healthy amounts of fruits, vegetables, and meats.

Gluten allergies are a thing, but it's becoming more common since gluten is so prevalent in lots of fast food and in almost everyone's diet.

it's me i'm ~gluten sensitive~

wait did you just randomly decide to tell a bunch of chefs what to eat, unprompted, after someone mentioned that their partner makes them pasta and that the gesture was appreciated?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 8, 2014

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SlayVus posted:

It's prevalent in fast food? You don't say!

Do you know what gluten is? It's a protein composite found in foods made from wheat and related grains. It's what gives dough elasticity and bread any kind of structure other than "flat and dense". Developing gluten from glutenin and gliadin is the reason you knead dough. Yeah, it's prevalent in fast food, to the degree that bread is prevalent in fast food, but it's not the bread that makes fast food bad for you. Perhaps I should avoid water, too, since it too is common in fast food meals, being a major ingredient in soft drinks.

A thread full of people who work in the food industry isn't exactly the best place to go all "gluten is evil" because chances are we actually know what it is.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Well, yesterday, I had my "interview" at mega Italian chain. The FOH manager didn't even ask questions. She sent me on a tour of the kitchen with another server. Then after that she asked me what I thought and told me to come back Saturday to meet the GM. So, I guess I have to do that and he makes the final call. But the FOH manager wrote down "very nice, think she'll be good" as a note on my application.

If the GM gives the go ahead I'll start next week. I wonder what he's gonna ask me, if anything.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

it's me i'm ~gluten sensitive~

wait did you just randomly decide to tell a bunch of chefs what to eat, unprompted, after someone mentioned that their partner makes them pasta and that the gesture was appreciated?

That poster is also the author of a thread about his mother's disaster of a restaurant in BFC (it's really loving sad, and why people who have no industry experience should STOP loving TRYING TO OPEN BARS AND RESTAURANTS WHEN THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING and she dragged the whole family and their financial security with them) so I'd take it with a huge grain of salt.

Also, LOL gluten sensitivity.

On a different note: Just took over a bar position attached to a restaurant, we don't have much interaction with the kitchen other than lineup (bar is more of a draw, at least this time of the year) and Chef is sorta famous, was on Top Chef and seems to have the ego to match. This should be interesting...

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

I really like this post. Very informative and helpful. +1

edit: seriously though, could you tell me more about evilgluten? I don't really know what it does. I don't eat any fruits or vegetables because i saw a video on youtube that told me to just eat bacon and cheese (and I really like this guy, he agrees with my beef strips, string cheese and pork rinds diet) and i feel like knowing about gluten would probably help when i go in to work every day at a pretty successful bakery, thanks in advance

e2: oh man that guy just told me about the best food to avoid gluten, layer some meat, cheese, and mayonnaise and then roll it up!

e3: if i avoid gluten in fast food, can i keep eating kfc every day? i didn't learn how to cook chicken at chef school and i really like a bucket of chicken for dinner

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 8, 2014

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Chef is sorta famous, was on Top Chef and seems to have the ego to match. This should be interesting...

Good luck with that, my chef was just on Top Chef Masters and has been insufferable since.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, he's by all means a good chef, but in my limited interactions with him he seems to really be shooting for stereotypical I AM GOD persona. I've worked with many chefs with Michelin stars and Beard awards, but no one really felt the need to be ego-maniacal during line-up. Then again, I just moved from ten years in Oakland/SF to wine country to take care of my mom for a while and it's a very different vibe up here. Pretty stuffy and behind the times, a lot less experimental, places actually want female bartenders to wear ties and button ups and take out noserings and stupid poo poo like that. Oh well, do whatcha gotta do when mom's got cancer.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SlayVus posted:

:getout:

Slow week at work, still managed to get put on for 6 days and work 60 hours. "Interviewing" for the sous position this week. I'm definitely getting this promotion.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

SlayVus posted:

allergy: an overreaction of the immune system to a previously encountered, ordinarily harmless substance, resulting in skin rash, swelling of mucous membranes, sneezing or wheezing, or other abnormal conditions.

Pretty sure there's no such thing as a gluten allergy. There are people who are gluten sensitive or intolerant though.

I, for one, invite you to :getin: GBS. Either you'll learn something or you'll continue to say naive things and we'll all have a laugh.

Serious though, we're chill guys and gals. If you want niceness head over to the general questions thread. Last time I looked there was a rule against being mean to noobs there.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

brick cow posted:

Serious though, we're chill guys and gals. If you want niceness head over to the general questions thread. Last time I looked there was a rule against being mean to noobs there.

We're usually pretty nice to people in this thread too.

but no one has answered my kfc question yet

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Yeah, he's by all means a good chef, but in my limited interactions with him he seems to really be shooting for stereotypical I AM GOD persona.
My condolences on the cancer and also on your moms health.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I didn't think you where serious, or are still kidding but.

You should be eating popeye's your own homemade fried chicken (it is easy I promise).

afaik gluten is created when yeast reacts with flour/water. There is not gluten in things that don't use yeast.
Fried chicken is dredged in flour but it should not contain gluten.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Naelyan posted:

We're usually pretty nice to people in this thread too.

but no one has answered my kfc question yet

There's flour in the breading- so maybe the act of chewing produces gluten? And if you're not getting a kfc biscuit to dip in their "mashed potatoes and gravy" then you are living your life incorrectly.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

copen posted:

afaik gluten is created when yeast reacts with flour/water. There is not gluten in things that don't use yeast.

Yeast doesn't create gluten. There is gluten in things that don't have yeast.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
oh that is right, I am dumb the gluten has to already be there. Anyways just eat gluten and live with whatever health problems, cause life is not worth living without it.

or make your own fried chicken with gluten free flour

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I'll never forget the time I watched my "supervisor" carefully re-toast a hamburger bun in the broiler because he was concerned that the flat-top was contaminated with gluten from other foods and the order said "GLUTEN FREE".

Then I watched it get plated in front of the sous chef, fly right past the other sous chef into the server's hands who promptly said "what the gently caress, seriously?" and threw the whole thing in the trash. Some of my favorite coworkers have been servers who used to cook.

Either way it didn't matter because the hamburger patties almost certainly contained some form of gluten as a binder, the guest probably had no loving idea what gluten even was or why they might have an intolerance to it, and apparently nobody but me and the server knew that BREAD = PROBABLY GLUTEN MAYBE CHECK THE BOX.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Running the kitchen on my own today, just sent these out, thought they looked good

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

They do look good, although I kinda pity your servers if they have to deliver 'em like that. :D

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are those veggie burgers? The meat ratio seems really low. They look pretty though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There is a decent amount of meat on them, I think they are not showing because of the angle

Also I served them myself because my servers complained, haha

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
As you would have guessed we were not very busy today!

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

copen posted:

I didn't think you where serious, or are still kidding but.

You should be eating popeye's your own homemade fried chicken (it is easy I promise).

brick cow posted:

There's flour in the breading- so maybe the act of chewing produces gluten? And if you're not getting a kfc biscuit to dip in their "mashed potatoes and gravy" then you are living your life incorrectly.

I don't even know what to say right now. No, I was not being serious. I just typed up a couple paragraphs trying to explain what happened here and instead I'm just going to shake my head at my computer for the next 15 minutes and feel kinda sad.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
The chewing thing was farce but I stand by the gravy with kfc biscuits. The combo of the two is one of the tastiest things mis-labeled as food that I have ever eaten.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

bowmore posted:

As you would have guessed we were not very busy today!

The transition from the build-up to NYE and all that craziness to this loving 2 or 3 week graveyard is gonna be rough. A slow restaurant is one of the most bleak places I can think of.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I think I am going to leave my job and just work in a half-ok cafe somewhere I can just mindlessly pull shots of espresso endlessly and maybe make a batch of caramel to use for people's precious caramel soy lattes.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I think I am going to leave my job and just work in a half-ok cafe somewhere I can just mindlessly pull shots of espresso endlessly and maybe make a batch of caramel to use for people's precious caramel soy lattes.
So basically where I work.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bad day, Fuzzy?

For.reference on slow, I turned the ovens off at 2am today. I hate January business.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

For.reference on slow, I turned the ovens off at 2am today. I hate January business.

My ovens still don't get turned off until 5 or 6am.

I just don't go in until midnight now. :(

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Quiet days are good days to clean and experiment with new dishes I think.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Naelyan posted:

My ovens still don't get turned off until 5 or 6am.

I just don't go in until midnight now. :(

I bake midnight to four, clean while stuff cools, then box and deliver until 8. Gonna deep clean something tonight.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Liquid Communism posted:

Bad day, Fuzzy?

Since we closed this location and I notified all the staff they were jobless my job has been to work alone in an empty and shut down restaurant to inventory and either sell or relocate to another location every item in the restaurant as well as auditing all of the orders and sales and and and and... Basically sitting in a dark restaurant (if I turn the lights on people start knocking and asking if we decided to re-open) staring at excel sheets. I'm supposed to be relocated to another restaurant or to the "about to be finished" central kitchen that they're going to start preparing in-chain their own versions of a lot of our sysco/U.S. Food's products inside of. But that's "Not until February at least". Empty restaurants really really are the bleakest thing.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

I bake midnight to four, clean while stuff cools, then box and deliver until 8. Gonna deep clean something tonight.

My three still ovens are loving spotless. It's hard to clean the convection with stuff in it all night though. :(

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Empty restaurants really really are the bleakest thing.

Oh poo poo that's soul crushing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Okay, at a goon's suggestion, I'm going to repost this here. All of this is well-known and discussed in the beer thread, but for people not in Philly, you might not be aware of this and will probably find the trainwreck entertaining.

There's this guy named Matt Swartz. Matt likes to run restaurants but he's not that good at it. He opened a place in Emmaus called Tap & Table, and used the money from that to open a place in East Falls called Fork and Barrel. Then he used the money from that to open a place in Philly proper, called the Farmer's Cabinet. Then he opened another place called Boilermaker's. His standard operating procedure is basically to loot one place to fund the opening of the next place and then just...not pay people. Not his employees, not his suppliers. Did I mention he once served a term in Federal prison for fraud?

At each step along the way, he consistently stiffed and screwed everyone who worked for him. The entire staff at Fork and Barrel showed up for work one day to find that it was just closed. No warning. No back pay. Just new locks on the doors and a closed sign in the window. A friend of mine had managed there, and he'd been regularly stiffing her, and she was going to quit and he said "Don't, I'm sorry, I'll make it up to you, I'm opening this new place in the city and you'll get to run it, big raise, etc," so she was already gone by the time that happened. But the new place in the city, Farmer's Cabinet? I showed up one week after it opened, asked if my friend was there, and was told "Oh....she doesn't work here anymore." So she took this job to manage this new restaurant and get it ready to open and he was already *not paying her* before the place even opened, so she walked. At one point, the entire kitchen staff walked out because of being stiffed. At another, the entire front-of-the-house staff did the same. The best was when his *beer wholesaler* sent a truck and a couple of drivers around to confiscate every keg of beer he hadn't sold yet because he was *stiffing his supplier.*

I want to emphasize that. It's a bar. He's in the business of selling booze, at enormous markups. In fact, his beer selection was basically the rarest, hardest-to-find stuff, obscure Italian and Norwegian craft brewers, not necessarily because it was the best beer but because he could charge $10 for an 8-ounce pour. And he decides to stop paying the people who supply him with beer. The wholesaler takes his unsold product back, and Swartz *walks into the wholesaler's place* and physically threatens him, they have to call the cops to get him to leave.

He enticed a great local brewer, a guy named Terry Hawbaker, to leave his digs at a place called Bullfrog, and move to Farmer's Cabinet and brew beer for them, and Terry got set up with a contract brewer down in Virginia (Terry eventually got pissed and left, probably because he wasn't being paid). At one point, what FC was going was renting a panel truck, sending it down to the VA brewery, loading up the kegs and just driving them back into PA. This is...really, really illegal. The Virginia TTB raids the brewery and dumps all of FC's beer down the drain, Prohibition-style.

Well, recently, all the remaining shoes dropped. FC's liquor license expired in October. Usually, you get a renewal lickety-split, you have a temporary permit you put up in your window while you wait for them to process the new license. Unless you're a nuisance bar and have underage drinking and drunks making a mess in the streets and so forth, but for a fancy-rear end Center City restaurant it's pretty much a formality.

Unless you have $30,000 in unpaid employment taxes. Then the state's not going to renew your license. And if what you do then, instead of paying those back taxes, is to take your temporary permit from last year, forge *new dates* on it, and put that up in your window, well, then what happens is that the state raids your establishment and arrests you and confiscates all your booze. And then it hits you with a $100,000 fine for selling liquor without a license. Plus an additional fine for each customer in your place at the time of the raid. Plus $2 for every ounce of beer or wine and $4 for every ounce of booze they confiscate. Then all your booze gets destroyed. And, oh yeah, you get charged with a couple of felonies, including forgery.

He actually kept the place *open* after that for a couple of weeks as a BYO, but then closed it because nobody's going to go there for the food. And the very latest is that he's gone back to the state and paid his back taxes and application fees and now has a renewed license so the place is re-opening. But that ain't gonna make the fines and criminal charges go away. Couldn't happen to a nicer fuckhead.

ObMugShot:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Naelyan posted:

My three still ovens are loving spotless. It's hard to clean the convection with stuff in it all night though. :(

My convections are terrible right now. Someone spilled something in them, and I can never get them cool enough to actually clean at night. I ended up getting out the brass brushes and detailing the stovetops, then finding the air compressor and blowing out all the radiators on the freezers.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

A couple months ago we picked up an incredible FOH manager. Affable, level-headed, earnest...not to mention he's the sort to dive in and do things that need doing instead of watching them not get done for five minutes then bitching at at servers for not doing it. Polite to all staff, front and back, and absolutely fantastic about keeping BOH in the loop.

So they send him to GM one of the satellite locations while we get stuck with little miss I-only-check-messages-once-a-week. Who, incidentally, bought a guest's meal after he asked what the gently caress was wrong with me (The server had rung it in wrong, I just dropped it off).

I don't get this industry.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'm on day 4? Of a 7-8 day closure while maintenance tasks care of some poo poo that's needed done for awhile. The whole crew is on this break.
It's nice to have the time off but I was bored to death of it yesterday and I'm going to feel it in the wallet this month.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
When is it time to walk? When your owner bitches and moans about not being able to find a PS4 for his son, after the third time your paycheck bounced this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

FrancoFish posted:

When is it time to walk? When your owner bitches and moans about not being able to find a PS4 for his son, after the third time your paycheck bounced this month.

That isn't just time to walk, it's time to make sure the owner can't.

(For legal purposes I am not advocating that you shatter his kneecaps with a six ounce ball peen hammer, no matter how satisfying or justified it would be.)

I am however advocating that you contact your state labor board right loving now, determine if repeatedly bounced paychecks are considered constructive dismissal, and if you can walk and soak his dumb rear end for unemployment for it.

• Locked thread