Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Limbaugh is one if the cleverest conmen to ever live and I don't believe for a second that he buys into half the poo poo he says, he just knows exactly what to say to keep his base listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So Rush and others have been talking about the 50th anniversary of the 'War on Poverty' and how its been a complete failure. I don't understand, I thought everyone had a fridge now so that meant no one was poor? :confused:

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Limbaugh is one if the cleverest conmen to ever live and I don't believe for a second that he buys into half the poo poo he says, he just knows exactly what to say to keep his base listening.

Yeah, I really have to agree with this. I think that Beck is a good example of what happens when a talking head really starts to believe the crap he spews. He eventually makes everyone uncomfortable and drops in popularity a LOT. Rush has managed to survive for years, with multiple divorces, an addiction to painkillers, a sex tourist scandal, and plenty of stupid statements. Anyone that can get through all of that and still get people to listen to his claims of moral superiority is a drat genius, no matter how stupid his audience is.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The Nozzle posted:

So Rush and others have been talking about the 50th anniversary of the 'War on Poverty' and how its been a complete failure. I don't understand, I thought everyone had a fridge now so that meant no one was poor? :confused:

I don't know why they're complaining, it's been about as successful as the war on drugs.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

A Winner is Jew posted:

I don't know why they're complaining, it's been about as successful as the war on drugs.

This is not true, and is a dangerous angle to approach the issue from. If you said that line to a conservative they'd probably throw some libertarian bullshit in there claiming they disagree with the war on drugs -or- say, "oh, so you agree that we should cut off those lazy moochers, then?"

The War on Poverty was wildly successful until Reagan decided to run his campaign on gutting it so that blacks couldn't get ahead using those same government services whites had been using. Despite those cuts even, the poverty programs still deliver huge dividends to GDP, tax revenue, and preventing people from starving.

On the subject of the War on Drugs, I'll borrow what somebody else in another thread. The War on Drugs has been successful in its intended purpose, locking up lots of black people and filling the coffers of the private prison industry. The scheduling for crack cocaine versus powdered cocaine pretty clearly shows the intentions from the beginning.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ErIog posted:

This is not true, and is a dangerous angle to approach the issue from. If you said that line to a conservative they'd probably throw some libertarian bullshit in there claiming they disagree with the war on drugs -or- say, "oh, so you agree that we should cut off those lazy moochers, then?"

The War on Poverty was wildly successful until Reagan decided to run his campaign on gutting it so that blacks couldn't get ahead using those same government services whites had been using. Despite those cuts even, the poverty programs still deliver huge dividends to GDP, tax revenue, and preventing people from starving.

On the subject of the War on Drugs, I'll borrow what somebody else in another thread. The War on Drugs has been successful in its intended purpose, locking up lots of black people and filling the coffers of the private prison industry. The scheduling for crack cocaine versus powdered cocaine pretty clearly shows the intentions from the beginning.

I'm not disagreeing with you on any of this, I was just making a joke about how the war on drugs has been a complete and total failure except with regards to locking up minorities for use as slave labor, and thanks to 30 years of conservative's trotting out the "welfare queen" mantra (which was true) in order to sell gutting the program to voters the war on poverty has also been a failure.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Roxors posted:

Yeah, I really have to agree with this. I think that Beck is a good example of what happens when a talking head really starts to believe the crap he spews. He eventually makes everyone uncomfortable and drops in popularity a LOT. Rush has managed to survive for years, with multiple divorces, an addiction to painkillers, a sex tourist scandal, and plenty of stupid statements. Anyone that can get through all of that and still get people to listen to his claims of moral superiority is a drat genius, no matter how stupid his audience is.

Yes, despite everything he's ever done, said, written, or spawned, he has a few listeners. He has a thinking problem. He does not have a marketing problem. I believe his listener numbers are as much of a figment of his imagination as his ability to apply logic to current events. I think he is on so many stations because he gives his show away for free. Again, his business managers, agents, promoters, are probably on a genius level, but he's pretty close to a Dennis Rodman level of mental acuity.

If Limbaugh was a genius, how could you possibly tell?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Limbaugh is the greatest broadcaster in history, without question. I need to track down this old public access interview from the mid-80s where he absolutely breaks it all down.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Swan Oat posted:

The hatred is exclusively about her politics. Remember, MOOchelle Obama is a disgusting hambeast to these people. If Lena Dunham were a conservative, you wouldn't see any such comments on Breitbart. I would bet that, in this counterfactual, whenever some shithead like Ed Schultz inevitably criticized her appearance, Breitbart commenters would be writing love poems to her.

Edit: the ghetto wookiee continues to play while the economy freezes

Not even. Conservatives have mocked Meghan McCain over her body and appearance, and she's on their team.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Infomaniac posted:

Yes, despite everything he's ever done, said, written, or spawned, he has a few listeners. He has a thinking problem. He does not have a marketing problem. I believe his listener numbers are as much of a figment of his imagination as his ability to apply logic to current events. I think he is on so many stations because he gives his show away for free. Again, his business managers, agents, promoters, are probably on a genius level, but he's pretty close to a Dennis Rodman level of mental acuity.

So he is just making up all of these listeners and none of these advertisers that have made him a millionaire have bothered to check or what?

Chantilly Say posted:

Not even. Conservatives have mocked Meghan McCain over her body and appearance, and she's on their team.

Only because she thinks gays are people and rightfully calls out the rear end backward way Republicans scream about abortion but don't support better sex ed that would lower unplanned pregnancy rates. She's clearly a RINO like her RINO dad.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

So he is just making up all of these listeners and none of these advertisers that have made him a millionaire have bothered to check or what?

Yes, actually.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rush-limbaughs-audience-may-be-so-much-smaller-than-you-think-2012-3

Advertising metrics and data were basically complete crapshoots until the advent of the "click on the microphone, and type in 'RUSH' to get your sweet discount!" There's an old saying in the ad business, "I know half of my ad budget is worthless, but the trouble is that I can't figure out which half."

Radio ratings are also only recently becoming something that can be tracked somewhat accurately. The old way of doing it was a self-selected sample of people self-reporting what they listen to on the radio during the week. These were pretty much bullshit, but they were the state of the art for a long time. They were useful for being able to gauge audience size and engagement relative to other shows in a time slot, but very difficult to draw any accurate picture of audience size. When they recently switched to accurate digital tracking using wearable devices around 2006, the radio numbers for everyone everywhere suddenly went in the toilet since it turned out, shockingly, that self-reported data is loving worthless.

Rush, also, only has a very small handful of direct advertisers on his program. The syndication business model is traditionally mostly about selling the show itself to stations so that they can use it as content filler between their locally-sold ad breaks.

So in this situation where the numbers have been complete fantasy up until very recently, the goldmine was not typically in the directly-sold advertising itself, and the ads during the show are sold piecemeal by the syndicating radio stations themselves... yeah, you can pretty much just make up your aggregate audience numbers without anyone really caring that much because the business itself is so fragmented.

The national audience size doesn't matter very much to Joe's Furniture Store buying time on the local AM station, and the big national advertisers buy ad time in bulk across the country without any real regard for the programming in the slot. This started to bite some of the national brands in the rear end when people started complaining about certain companies supporting Rush Limbaugh when their ads were run during his show. So now a lot of those big national ad buys come with riders that say like, "4 times an hour except during Rush..."

That's how come Rush gets to claim he reaches 30 million people with no one bothering to care very much or check. He has a "humongous audience" in the same way Donald Trump is "obscenely rich." It's just a part of their brand that people buy into.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 9, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So I watch Fox News for about 30 minutes 1 day a month, and here is tonight's recap:

Civil war amongst women?
Sherman's book SLAMS Obama administration
Erick, son of Erick, made an appearance
And I could only take about a minute of O'Reilly's dumb smug mug as he entered the No Spin Zone

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh god, what was "civil war amongst women" about?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Infomaniac posted:

This is crazy. I would kill for Rush's rhetorical skills. His brain and mouth connect a lot better than mine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lycus posted:

Oh god, what was "civil war amongst women" about?

No idea, the ad spot had two white ladies so I'm guessing it was some sort of pissing match about how liberal women are setting back humankind by centuries or some poo poo. It was on Greta Van Susteren.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Limbaugh is the greatest broadcaster in history, without question. I need to track down this old public access interview from the mid-80s where he absolutely breaks it all down.

Seriously, a lot of people on the left like to think the guy is an idiot because he has bad opinions, but he's an absolute master of his craft and not at all stupid, just wrong* and disingenuous.

*- wrong for America as a whole, but right for his personal situation, which is all he actually cares about.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

SedanChair posted:

I'd love to see this. Someone told me about it years ago.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007

Aliquid posted:

This is crazy. I would kill for Rush's rhetorical skills. His brain and mouth connect a lot better than mine.

The last time I listened, he was talking very slowly and it was almost all intro and outro. He made what could be described as a claim just about once per segment-- and read newspaper text into the microphone for much of his air time. His rhetoric was not particularly dense. It was much less dense than Hannity, for example, who makes like ten assertions of fact almost every sentence.

maybe it was an off day.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ErIog posted:

rating stuff

Huh. That's actually really interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Not seen this posted yet, but here's a fascinating excerpt from Gabriel Sherman's piece on Roger Ailes. Spoiler: Ailes is a paranoid, blustering piece of poo poo.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Phone posted:

No idea, the ad spot had two white ladies so I'm guessing it was some sort of pissing match about how liberal women are setting back humankind by centuries or some poo poo. It was on Greta Van Susteren.

It was almost surely based on that recent book about how women need husbands and they found some token liberal to argue with the writer. It's a pretty common filler segment that's been running recently because loving nothing is going on right now.

Rush chat. He was just in the right place at the right time and isn't even all that good by modern standards. Plenty of right wing personalities put on more entertaining and provocative shows these days but Rush basically has tenure at this point. I doubt he'd be that popular of he just came on the scene today.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 9, 2014

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELRmgJw8muw

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

SedanChair posted:

He and Howard Stern really made radio actually "matter" in the 90's.

It's very fascinating to read their life stories, because up until a certain point they read kind of similar. Both are using similiar strategies as well, as evidenced by that clip.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Rush chat. He was just in the right place at the right time and isn't even all that good by modern standards. Plenty of right wing personalities put on more entertaining and provocative shows these days but Rush basically has tenure at this point. I doubt he'd be that popular of he just came on the scene today.

People inevitably say this every time he comes up and all it tells me is you don't listen to Rush much and you definitely don't listen to his competition. I've been listening to this bullshit on a near daily basis for decades, and no, he really is still the best person out there still. Every other show is just a pale parody of Limbaugh.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Yes, awesome.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mandals posted:

Not seen this posted yet, but here's a fascinating excerpt from Gabriel Sherman's piece on Roger Ailes. Spoiler: Ailes is a paranoid, blustering piece of poo poo.

What a miserable sack of poo poo that man is. The story years ago about him installing bombproof glass on his office windows at Fox to protect him from the gays makes perfect sense now; he's completely loving insane.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007

People inevitably say this every time he comes up and all it tells me is you don't listen to Rush much and you definitely don't listen to his competition. I've been listening to this bullshit on a near daily basis for decades, and no, he really is still the best person out there still. Every other show is just a pale parody of Limbaugh.

I'll give this to Limbaugh: he has the longest running Improvised Political Fan Fiction show on U.S. radio.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Lycus posted:

Bill O'Reilly of yesterday: People are becoming are becoming addicted to these telephone machines. No one writes letters anymore! We are witnessing the impending death of our culture.

What's crazy, is that he went from Marijuana legalization to "Teens text!" like it's connected. (I only saw the Daily Show segment)

I...ummm....wtf! Like that black dude he had on, "I don't even know what to say"... :psyduck:

edit: Complaining about teens texting is worthy of another :psyduck:. I bet he sends at least 30+ texts a day himself.

Damonic fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 9, 2014

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Mandals posted:

This part is amazing

quote:

Ailes used the opening. After thanking the board and the citizens for their turnout, he had a lecture about American history to deliver. “George Washington said, ‘A violation of my land is a violation of my being,’ ” he intoned. “That is in our core for 230 years.” Ailes loved to quote Washington, but this saying does not appear in any archive of Washington’s writings or speeches.

To see a small county newspaper transformed into a vindictive media machine just solely based on petty concerns and paranoia kind of shakes me to the very core.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The weirdest part is the allegation that he wanted to write "sexes me" into a producer's contract--for an extra 100 bucks a week.

"Girl you want that hot benjamin? I know you are a hotshot TV producer, but still. Climb all over this mountain of jiggly, leaking Harkonnen flesh, you want to."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

The weirdest part is the allegation that he wanted to write "sexes me" into a producer's contract--for an extra 100 bucks a week.

"Girl you want that hot benjamin? I know you are a hotshot TV producer, but still. Climb all over this mountain of jiggly, leaking Harkonnen flesh, you want to."

I'd be more insulted by Ailes' lowballing than anything else. $100/week for sex on tap ain't poo poo.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'd be more insulted by Ailes' lowballing than anything else. $100/week for sex on tap ain't poo poo.

It was the 80s though, figuring it was like 1985 that's like 12k a year in today's money.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I assume the real pressure there was, "I want to have a career and the only path is through this disgusting piece of poo poo's penis" while the $100 was just a tip. I'm sure I exhibit views that aren't 100% tolerant of whatever all the time without noticing it, but I could never understand the psychopaths who force/compel/pressure subordinates to have sex. There's a certain level of, "This person is a human being" that's either there or not. Ailes obviously doesn't have that.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

I assume the real pressure there was, "I want to have a career and the only path is through this disgusting piece of poo poo's penis" while the $100 was just a tip. I'm sure I exhibit views that aren't 100% tolerant of whatever all the time without noticing it, but I could never understand the psychopaths who force/compel/pressure subordinates to have sex.

Good, the less you know about the restaurant industry, the better.
Ailes lowballed because the difference between what he paid and what she wanted counts as his rape dividend. Pre-tax, pure gravy. Oh my god stop posting now, agar.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

There's a certain level of, "This person is a human being" that's either there or not. Ailes obviously doesn't have that.

Reading that nymag piece, it sounds like Ailes feels that way about rather a lot of people.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Worked in the restaurant industry several times in my life when I was younger, you don't possess any special knowledge, heh. My point was, he wasn't paying $100 for sex, he was dangling the career for sex and the $100 was his pittance tossed to the plebe. The more you learn about how high-level business world psychopaths think as you get older, the more you'll understand why Ailes did this. Every deal with the hoi polloi is about driving people down as low as they can get and then, if you fancy one of them (as in this case), tossing a bone back while you extort them further.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mandals posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, if they posted this to drum up interest in the book, they succeeded. That was horrifying to read about, let alone what the people involved must have felt about it.

As for the "$100 for sex' thing being talked about, ReindeerF has the right idea on this: Ailes didn't pay her for sex, he tossed her a bonus for doing something to keep her job and credibility.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
How exactly is it legal to write "I pay you for sex" in a contract in the US anyway? Seems like it'd be the kind of contract you'd love to have him draw up so you could sue for tons.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Curious how the right would be covering the Christie bridge email revelations, I checked NRO's The Corner, one of the few conservative blogs I still dare to read. I picked an entry from around the height of the afternoon's chatter, entitled "Christie's Statement on Bridge Closure Revelations." Since most of The Corner's posts about this affair, including this one, seem to be unsurprisingly noncommittal and vague (predominantly of the "how Christie should handle the media" variety) I dipped into the comments.

Most recent comment, first one I see:
"How many people died because of this? Because I've been told that four Americans in Banghazi is no big deal. The hundreds of Mexicans who died because of Fast and Furious also don't count."

From what I've read, Fox News pretty much delegated "coverage" of the whole Christie thing to Shepard Smith, who after a minute and a half of condensing it for his viewers and suggesting it was mainly a local tabloid story, added that if they wanted to know the details they could always check Google.
http://thecontributor.com/media/fox-news-covers-chris-christies-bridge-scandal-six-hours-after-news-breaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Worked in the restaurant industry several times in my life when I was younger, you don't possess any special knowledge, heh. My point was, he wasn't paying $100 for sex, he was dangling the career for sex and the $100 was his pittance tossed to the plebe. The more you learn about how high-level business world psychopaths think as you get older, the more you'll understand why Ailes did this. Every deal with the hoi polloi is about driving people down as low as they can get and then, if you fancy one of them (as in this case), tossing a bone back while you extort them further.

Agreed.

Here's the John Birch Society's current headquarters. I got a laugh out of it, don't know why. Check it out next time you're at the Culver's restaurant in Appleton, WI. If you think about it long enough, no D.C. office dungeon fits the JBS quite like these digs do.