Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Greater than 50% on deep passes is really impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dexo posted:

At least Manziel is used to a terrible O-Line albeit not against NFL talent.

The A&M OLine isn't terrible. It gave him tons of time and has produced the #2 draft pick last year and a ~Top 5 pick this year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

At least Manziel is used to a terrible O-Line albeit not against NFL talent.

What? He had Joeckel and Matthews bookending him in his freshman year. He had a great O-line which was part of the reason for his success and crazy rear end plays.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

No way Manziel drops out of the first round. Unless he like shows up drunk to his interviews.

What if he "oversleeps" and misses the interviews altogether?

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

bewbies posted:

I think I'd be on board with the Chefs trading into the 20s to take Manziel. He would be a great fit for that offense. He almost certainly won't be there but still.

He still wouldn't have anyone to throw to.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Manziel is used to improvising when protection breaks down but he also will take off and leave the pocket when it's still intact so figuring out the best balance there will probably be key for whomever is coaching him up.

Ozu posted:

Greater than 50% on deep passes is really impressive.

His ball placement is above average and he knows how to use his receivers to their fullest (sup Mike Evans)

Dexo posted:

No way Manziel drops out of the first round. Unless he like shows up drunk to his interviews.

This is not out of the realm of possibilities tbh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Alex Smith is a playoff quarterback.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Declan MacManus posted:

I was about to say this exact thing, actually. Not that I think it will happen but I wouldn't be shocked by it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

What? He had Joeckel and Matthews bookending him in his freshman year. He had a great O-line which was part of the reason for his success and crazy rear end plays.

It must seem that way because he is constantly operating in a state of chaos.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

Manziel is used to improvising when protection breaks down but he also will take off and leave the pocket when it's still intact so figuring out the best balance there will probably be key for whomever is coaching him up.

Ok, here's the deal with Manziel and why he's such a hard prospect to predict:

Manziel, for all intents and purposes, is a superb player. One of the best I've ever seen. He's got incredible awareness, incredible elusiveness, and just... I dunno... gets football. He has a good throwing motion and when he sets his feet his accuracy and velocity is decent enough. He has a NFL arm.

Now the part I can't get past is why he's so special. What he does is not football smart, in a sense. I keep bringing it up but he had that one play in the bowl game where he hurdled a collapsing pile and threw across his body for a completion. It looked fantastic and was an incredible play, but if you look at the play again, his pocket didn't actually collapse. The DTs rushing him fell flat on their face and the DE's had the edge sealed against them. He had another two seconds in the pocket, but he chose to jump the guys and make a poor decision throw across his body that happened to work out. I see this stuff constantly with Manziel. He makes superb plays that are a micro-second away from turning into a disaster.

Pundits can knock him for his size, and I agree with it, but I think what makes him so special is what makes him so risky of a pick. I just don't see him being able to throw across his body in the NFL. He doesn't have the arm for it. I don't see him being able to rely on a Mike Evans at the next level. It's not because he won't have an elite #1, but he throws against college CBs that don't play at the point of the reception. They all seem to go for the pick or the swat in front of Evans instead of going after his hands. Those floaters that he drops in just don't come in fast enough.

I want Manziel to do well because I want to watch that guy play for a long while, but I just can't safely say that he'll be a bust or a success. I can't say if he's going top 5 or top 50. He's just so tough to predict.

Dexo posted:

It must seem that way because he is constantly operating in a state of chaos.

Exactly, he creates that chaos more often than not. Can't blame the O-line for the pocket collapsing if Manziel is sprinting around switching directions every second.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

LiquidFriend posted:

They've got the 23rd pick, so they wouldn't even have to trade up. :)

This hadn't even occurred to me. welp

We sign Maclin and Kelce turns out to be anything decent we have the makings of a semi-viable offense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It looks like Maclin is staying in Phila, if you go by press statements.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

euphronius posted:

And Alex Smith is getting extended in KC if you go by Jason Cole's story today. I wonder how much that's going to cost.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

excidium posted:

I wonder how much that's going to cost.

My soul.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Whether we agree with it or not (and I certainly don't because I think it's dumb as poo poo), we can't disregard that teams might dock Manziel on their draft board for "character issues" based on his career at A&M. I don't think Manziel has 'character issues' that in any way impact how he plays quarterback, but it's going to be a thing and his interviews with teams are going to be over-scrutinized. I don't know how getting thrown out of a party makes one college kid any different from any other college kid, but some teams will say "NOT A LEADER" and rate him as a 2nd day pick.

It seems like a distant memory now when he was doing the "I didn't get caught" celebrations in his first game back and everyone was getting sanctimonious about it, but that poo poo will get dredged back up during this whole process.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 8, 2014

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

Kerry Collins still went top 5.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Quest For Glory II posted:

It seems like a distant memory now when he was doing the "I didn't get caught" celebrations in his first game back and everyone was getting sanctimonious about it, but that poo poo will get dredged back up during this whole process.

I would want the titans to draft him based on that alone. And hire sumlin or somebody not lovely

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Titans have had a lot of success with guys who like to make it rain

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Intruder posted:

Vince young owned and I'm pissed we lost both him and Fisher.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Intruder posted:

So they should draft Storm Johnson?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Is there any chance the Rams say gently caress Sam Bradford and get Manziel? I guess technically the Rams are a NFC football team.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PrinceRandom posted:

Is there any chance the Rams say gently caress Sam Bradford and get Manziel? I guess technically the Rams are a NFC football team.
Lotta dead money if they did that, and Jeff Fisher's in too deep to start over now -- he might not get another season. If they stay where they are they probably take Matthews. I expect them to move though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's possible. They get a pretty hefty cap savings (~$10.5m with just ~$7m in dead money holy poo poo Sam Bradford's cap number for 2014 is ~$17.5m) for cutting him

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just don't think Fisher wants to lose his job because he drafted and started a rookie QB and they go 5-11 or whatever. There are personal interests that will keep them from drafting QB unless Fisher gets a long term vote of confidence. He was pretty quick to name Bradford the 2014 starter, the same way Chip Kelly said Foles was his guy next year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Bradford weren't so mediocre I'd be more inclined to agree with you. Eating up 15% of your total cap space with a bottom third of the league starting QB though?

Though I suppose he was having a pretty decent year before he got hurt

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's agonizing with Bradford because you can see the progress but it's the slowest progress I've ever seen a QB make. He's never taken a step backward, it's just been small steps forward each year. This year you could see he was taking a bigger step, minimizing the turnovers, his TD% was way up, his rating was up, in spite of his circumstances. But then the injury.

Also the Rams have been as bad at drafting receivers as the Philadelphia Eagles were 10 years ago. Austin Pettis, Brian Quick, and Chris Givens are a joke.

On top of that they thought letting Brian Schottenheimer run the offense was a good idea. And as far as I know I haven't heard of him being fired yet. So... yeah, just imagine Brian Schottenheimer developing one of the rookie QBs.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

It was more of a joke. I fully expect them to trade down and take a Tackle.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

bewbies posted:

I think I'd be on board with the Chefs trading into the 20s to take Manziel. He would be a great fit for that offense. He almost certainly won't be there but still.

Well we would have to see his risotto first....

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Though if they do take him, I'm quite open to being the only Rams fan on the forum.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

In which jeffersonlives agrees with Rich Cimini...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/34399/broadway-johnny-jets-should-be-so-lucky

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I'd like to see him on the Jets. I thought Smith would be more watchable but their offense was still boring as hell this year.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Where is GB going to go? They need help at OL, TE (Finley's limp body will haunt me), S...boy!

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

euphronius posted:

I'd prefer that the Eagles kept Maclin. As cool as it'd be for Maclin to come back, I've got a feeling his knees are about shot and I'd prefer to remember him as a cool rear end dude that played at MU and not a FA bust. :unsmith:

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
What's a likely pick for the Jaguars going in? They're loving terrible.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

droey posted:

What's a likely pick for the Jaguars going in? They're loving terrible.

Probably Bortles. Gabbert to Bortles. Not a quarterbacky succession of names at all

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jaguars will end up getting Clowney when the Rams trade out of their pick and QBs go #1 and #2.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

Jaguars will end up getting Clowney when the Rams trade out of their pick and QBs go #1 and #2.

I think the Jags would be smart to take Clowney, run the Henne train into the ground, and try for the top QB next year.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
If Clowney's there at 3rd, they'll almost certainly take him over reaching for a QB. If he's gone for whatever reason, they might take a shot on Bortles or JFF (assuming Bridgewater isn't getting past the top 2) but I imagine the general preference would be to trade down for as many picks as someone's willing to throw.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Doltos posted:

I think the Jags would be smart to take Clowney, run the Henne train into the ground, and try for the top QB next year.

There will be a pretty high profile QB prospect coming out of close by school that year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

Me too. By that point they'll also have some idea of who MJD's successor will be and they can maybe start building a nucleus for long term (theoretical) success.

• Locked thread