Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I once got Operation Rotting Paramour. Yuck.

I've been adjusting to Classic fairly successfully, and I found one important mistake I've been making: keep your soldiers close enough that they can help when an alien pack gets uncovered. Especially early when you only have four guys. Ideally you want to overwhelm the aliens as soon as you see them, before they have a chance to go on over watch or shoot back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

BurningStone posted:

I've been adjusting to Classic fairly successfully, and I found one important mistake I've been making: keep your soldiers close enough that they can help when an alien pack gets uncovered. Especially early when you only have four guys. Ideally you want to overwhelm the aliens as soon as you see them, before they have a chance to go on over watch or shoot back
Seconding this. On classic it instantly becomes top priority to snuff out any alien groups you come across that turn because if you don't you know they're gonna ruin you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BurningStone posted:

I started playing on Classic and am shamelessly reloading auto-saves while trying to learn this (I may try an Ironman game later, but at this point I'm still learning mechanics). This and the differences between destructible and non-destructible terrain. Train walls, trees, those aren't actually cover at all! The game is shamelessly lying!

The other thing I'm learning is to put my squad-sight sniper on Overwatch *before* I send the scout forward, so he'll have a chance to shoot the enemy before it takes cover.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 8, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Feeble posted:

Seconding this. On classic it instantly becomes top priority to snuff out any alien groups you come across that turn because if you don't you know they're gonna ruin you.

Also because on Normal only 5 aliens can actually be engaged in contact with you at once, the rest will wander off into the fog if possible, and there's a 1 in 3 chance of an alien rolling the die and just doing nothing on its turn. Also every time you miss you get hidden points added to your counter that makes your soldiers shots more likely, even though it doesn't change the displayed percentage.

Normal goes way too far in helping you under the surface and skewing expectations, AI and basic math.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The other thing I'm learning is to put my squad-sight sniper on Overwatch *before* I send the scout forward, so he'll have a chance to shoot the enemy before it takes cover.

Don't do this, overwatch penalty is .70 which will quickly overtake low cover penalties. By the time you hit oppertunist the difference between it and high cover becomes negligible, on top of that Squadsight overwatch can't crit in EW. That's all ignoring that you can use explosives to eliminate any cover penalties on a shot. And after all that, even in the borderline cases where the overwatch penalty would be less than any other situation, being able to choose who your sniper shoots at is probably still more valuable.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If a nation has been in red panic for over two months and still hasn't dropped out, what does that mean? I'm about 50% sure that the EXALT base is in that country (France) and the not-dropping-out thing is weird.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

If a nation has been in red panic for over two months and still hasn't dropped out, what does that mean? I'm about 50% sure that the EXALT base is in that country (France) and the not-dropping-out thing is weird.

There's a chance to lose a panic point per month in a country with a sattelite, so it's probably losing the point, then getting it back right as the new month starts up.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There's a chance to lose a panic point per month in a country with a sattelite, so it's probably losing the point, then getting it back right as the new month starts up.
It doesn't have a satellite. The base is in Germany and the other European nations dropped out early, so I focused on other continents and left France hanging in the wind.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Did you do any UFO assaults there? Terror missions somewhere in Europe? Anything like that? Those are the only things I can think of that would lower the panic rating, and the EXALT base would probably bring it back up before too long.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

If a nation has been in red panic for over two months and still hasn't dropped out, what does that mean?
Could be the RNG took pity on you. Looking at the .ini files, a country without a sattelite, or sattelites in the same continent has 50% chance of leaving when it's at fully panic. Each difficulty also has a max number of countires that can leave per month (3 on Classic).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mutons should overwatch on discovery. :colbert:

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I got EU when it first came out and was pretty disappointed with it, especially since I was an avid player of the original X-Com. But EW seems to add enough to the game that it's fun but challenging, as opposed to just infuriating like EU was. I did play with some of the Second Wave options, and I'm on the fence about one in particular : The variable damage one. I like that it means you don't know exactly what's going to happen, but it seems like it really, really nerfs the more powerful weapons. I've had alloy cannons do no more than 3 damage all mission, but a light plasma rifle crits for over 10. I think in my next play through I'll turn that off.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The only Second Wave option I've been playing with is the Aiming Angles one. It feels like it makes the cover act more "realistically."

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I've been playing with everything except "Hidden Potential" and "Save Scum." I'll definitely be changing that on my next run through. Training Roulette is nice, even though it sometimes gives undesired results, but it makes each soldier feel unique, as opposed to two Assault Majors being almost identical.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
XCOM: Enemy Within Multiplayer Points Balance Update

Edit: This is pretty serious.

Huge Lurker Mod nerf.
Huge Muton Buff
MEC Nerf
Drone Buff
Sectoid Commander Buff
Psi Guardian Buff
Chitin Nerf
Floater buff
Thin Man buff

These changes make for a very Sectoid Commander friendly environment. Sectoid Commander/Psi Guardian teams were already very strong. Now they are even better. They are balanced out by cheap soldiers with explosives but NOT by Lurkers which were only barely keeping them in check. Bastion Gene Mod regen teams are probably very viable metagame picks now.

Mutons and Heavy Floaters are really strong units now. Mutons have better stats for cost than equivalent soldier builds.

MECs took a hit, but MEC/Drone spam teams are probably unaffected.

Lurker Spam is dead. No longer cost effective except on super soldier teams (and those always suck).

Thin Men and Floaters may be economical harassment units now.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 8, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pagan posted:

I've been playing with everything except "Hidden Potential" and "Save Scum." I'll definitely be changing that on my next run through. Training Roulette is nice, even though it sometimes gives undesired results, but it makes each soldier feel unique, as opposed to two Assault Majors being almost identical.

Now that i've used training roulette once, i'll use it all the time except for gimmick runs. It'll stop me min maxing.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Pagan posted:

I got EU when it first came out and was pretty disappointed with it, especially since I was an avid player of the original X-Com. But EW seems to add enough to the game that it's fun but challenging, as opposed to just infuriating like EU was. I did play with some of the Second Wave options, and I'm on the fence about one in particular : The variable damage one. I like that it means you don't know exactly what's going to happen, but it seems like it really, really nerfs the more powerful weapons. I've had alloy cannons do no more than 3 damage all mission, but a light plasma rifle crits for over 10. I think in my next play through I'll turn that off.

Can't you change some of the second wave options at any time? You might be able to turn off variable damage without starting a new game. I could be completely wrong, but you might give it a shot.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Pohl posted:

Can't you change some of the second wave options at any time? You might be able to turn off variable damage without starting a new game. I could be completely wrong, but you might give it a shot.

I think you're right, but I also am having a relatively easy time of it at Normal difficulty. I think I'll turn off variable damage when I start a Classic game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That option just sounds lame and strategy-destroying. It's annoying enough to me when an assault rifle does 2 damage, the idea of a sniper rifle randomly doing 1 just sounds infuriating.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Gestalt Intellect posted:

That option just sounds lame and strategy-destroying. It's annoying enough to me when an assault rifle does 2 damage, the idea of a sniper rifle randomly doing 1 just sounds infuriating.

It is very frustrating when it happens, yes. But it also struck me as kind of realistic.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Pagan posted:

It is very frustrating when it happens, yes. But it also struck me as kind of realistic.

Good thing XCOM isn't a simulation, then :v:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Goddammit, my Classic Ironman game is going pretty well on the battlefield; but my Geoscape is a nightmare and I'm going to lose the game because of it. :eng99:
I got behind in my satellite push and it cost me, I'm broke and countries are fleeing like crazy. Screw it, I'm just going to restart right now. The current game is completely hopeless. Argh.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Pagan posted:

I think you're right, but I also am having a relatively easy time of it at Normal difficulty. I think I'll turn off variable damage when I start a Classic game.
Yes, this is a good idea. I started my first ever classic difficulty playthrough with it on and there are just too many time where I would desperately need a shot to kill an enemy right loving now and it would always be those times when the game decided to make my attack do one damage. If it's going to be your first time playing classic definitely keep that off, moving from normal to classic is a huge step up already.

Speaking of classic I'm currently working through gangplank on classic and due to corcumstances I'm doing it with a six man team of 3 rookies, a sniper and 2 assaults, none of whom are higher than a lieutenant. It's incredibly tough and I'm only making progress by saving after every few successful turns. I think I'm going to just barely make it through by the skin of my teeth and oh look a cyber disc :suicide:

Also, thin men can go gently caress themselves on classic, I swear to god every other shot they make connects and every third shot that connects is a crit. I've already resigned my self to losing at least 1-2 of the rookies by mission end :smith:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Pohl posted:

Goddammit, my Classic Ironman game is going pretty well on the battlefield; but my Geoscape is a nightmare and I'm going to lose the game because of it. :eng99:
I got behind in my satellite push and it cost me, I'm broke and countries are fleeing like crazy. Screw it, I'm just going to restart right now. The current game is completely hopeless. Argh.

Don't give up. The most difficult part is Month 2, when you're struggling to balance Satellites with increasing enemy difficulty, and where you are now. It's OK to lose 7 countries, but it isn't over until its over. If you had a good start that your battlefield is strong, the Geoscape is where it is supposed to be, and it should be pushing you to finish the story objectives.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Aw Xcom, you shouldn't have! It's not even my birthday! :allears:

But, well, if you insist!

Thanks to that ridiculous shredder I managed to take out everything in one turn, that felt great. I started giggling like a little kid once they all moved into the same place and praying that I still had a rocket. Turns out, I did!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's a fitting nickname.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Kiggles posted:

Don't give up. The most difficult part is Month 2, when you're struggling to balance Satellites with increasing enemy difficulty, and where you are now. It's OK to lose 7 countries, but it isn't over until its over. If you had a good start that your battlefield is strong, the Geoscape is where it is supposed to be, and it should be pushing you to finish the story objectives.

It was month 3 and I already lost 6 counties. Totally hosed; would be the correct terminology I think. I had just gotten my first mec, increased my squad size, and deep pockets, too. Oh well, I already deleted that game and ended up squad wiping the meld tutorial. Haha. Jesus.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Can somebody explain how they use their Snapshot snipers to me? I don't seem to be getting the idea. I understand that it's been made closer to Squadsight in EW. I can see how it combines well with In The Zone and the ghost skin upgrade. But if you've got those two already, you don't need Squadsight or Snapshot to chew through aliens (and you're probably into the easy part of the game).

Squadsight lets snipers, right from the early days, control line of sight, which is vital, especially on high difficulty levels where you can't let enemies shoot at you. I don't understand why you'd bring a Snapshot sniper instead of another class, just dropping the sniper entirely.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

You run up to some lovely half cover because that's all that you can reach, take your shot with a -10 aim penalty, and then when you hit the thin man for only 3 damage your guy dies on the counter attack.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Snapshot snipers are a good idea if half your squaddies turn out to be sniper class and you want to do something with the extras. Grapple or jumpy legs let them make frequent high ground trick shots via drat Good Ground. I think I prefer rifle assaults to be honest.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 9, 2014

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BurningStone posted:

Squadsight lets snipers, right from the early days, control line of sight, which is vital, especially on high difficulty levels where you can't let enemies shoot at you. I don't understand why you'd bring a Snapshot sniper instead of another class, just dropping the sniper entirely.

The benefit to snapshot is that it takes the sniper's weapon and effectively removes the downside to it(The aim penalty doesn't hurt nearly as much as it would another class). Snapshot is the ability to reliably crit with a 3-4-5 weapon without closing to close quarters(Heavies aren't exactly reliable shots). On top of that a snapshot sniper is more likely to get flanking shots, making headshot criticals almost guaranteed without wasting an explosive.

Squadsight lets you take safe, but often weaker shots.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Snapshot is ok for terror missions where you have to move fast, and squadsights can't consistently get a good line of sight. Low profile lets them cheese mimetic skin to flank easily, and then that synergizes fantastically with ITZ for mad kill-chains. I keep a snapshotter around to push for meld with mimetic skin/low profile and terror missions, pretty much.

The biggest reason I started switching to snapshotters was becausen I realized my squadsight sniper was always rushing for meld and serving as a dedicated scout anyway (Snipers are the best scouts imo), which kind of negates the benefit of squadsight.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Squad sight is better in EU when you can combine it since it still has criticals and you can combine it with In The Zone for some absurd kill chaining if you remove cover from whoever you're shooting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I captured some alien grenades. If I use them once will they get used up, or are they renewed every match like other grenades?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

I captured some alien grenades. If I use them once will they get used up, or are they renewed every match like other grenades?

Renewed every mission.

It's exactly like having scopes or reaper rounds or what have you.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They function exactly like regular grenades, except with 2 more damage. If you don't equip them there is a foundry upgrade that allows you to produce infinite alien grenades removing the sole reason to continue using frags

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

They function exactly like regular grenades, except with 2 more damage. If you don't equip them there is a foundry upgrade that allows you to produce infinite alien grenades removing the sole reason to continue using frags

The best thing about that is your mecs get extra damage on their grenades once you finish the foundry project.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

SeaTard posted:

The best thing about that is your mecs get extra damage on their grenades once you finish the foundry project.

Never mind, Mecs don't get a load out and I know this.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 9, 2014

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Meow Tse-tung posted:

(Snipers are the best scouts imo)

:psyduck: What.

I mean, you've got supports who have an ability that lets them move farther, assaults who can dash and shoot/capture, MECs/SHIVs which are fast moving tanks which don't need cover. And the unit which always has a downside to combat after a move is your ideal scout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

AirborneNinja posted:

:psyduck: What.

I mean, you've got supports who have an ability that lets them move farther, assaults who can dash and shoot/capture, MECs/SHIVs which are fast moving tanks which don't need cover. And the unit which always has a downside to combat after a move is your ideal scout?

To be fair, a Sniper with low-profile and mimetic skin is pretty much the greatest scout you can ask for. Not being able to shoot doesn't matter to a low-profile-mimetic-sniper because he can totally chill a turn and hunker down while the rest of the squad gets ready to swarm.

• Locked thread