Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

MG Freedom does come with a basic stand, so your Strike RM is safe.

Cool. That's pretty much the only Kira Suit I don't own. I'm gonna replace my Infinite Justice once it isn't 80 dollars anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Bimmi posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of HG 2.0. What would that even entail?

What's weird about it? Old HGs are outdated and don't even compare to modern ones. Remake them so they do.

Part 1 mostly done, my camera died before I could take pictures of the denubbing process and I need to cover some safety stuff. I'll finish it tomorrow.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 8, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The "2.0" thing was tripping me up I guess. To me it implies a kit that is not just better-looking but significantly more advanced in design and construction, and that's kind of exclusively an MG thing. Newer HGs are better than they were 10 years ago, but the line as a whole doesn't really do quantum leaps.

Remakes are a given, and they've already done a couple, but they're still just HGs and nothing special in and of themselves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

What's weird about it? Old HGs are outdated and don't even compare to modern ones. Remake them so they do.

Isn't that the point of the HG All Gundam Project though? Oh and from a look at Gundam Guy, there's a new RG coming sometime in early 2014 - A "deactivated" variant of the Strike Freedom :effort:. Come to think about it, I could probably use Amazing Psychic PowersTM and predict a TRANS-AM Exia RG sometime around July/August.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

You want Bandai's sticker-laziness at it's finest? Look at MG(Yes, MASTER GRADE) Strike Rouge's Ootori Pack. I don't ever intend to even buy that hideous piece of poo poo, and it still offends me.

Ah yes, the 0o Raiser for CE. Yes, that is one ridiculously oversized backpack. It overwhelms anything smaller than the Ex-S you try to put it on.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isn't that the point of the HG All Gundam Project though? Oh and from a look at Gundam Guy, there's a new RG coming sometime in early 2014 - A "deactivated" variant of the Strike Freedom :effort:. Come to think about it, I could probably use Amazing Psychic PowersTM and predict a TRANS-AM Exia RG sometime around July/August.

They made power down versions of the other CE RGs as web exclusives or other limited releases so that's not really a surprise. And yes, Trans-Am AD RGs is probably inevitable too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isn't that the point of the HG All Gundam Project though?

No. All Gundam's goals are to a) standardize the polycaps used in all future HG Gundams, b) give designs that don't have a HG one, and c) get some advertising going for Bandai's inventory of old HG lead Gundams. Nothing has been said about remaking the old kits as of yet.

As an aside, I'm honestly amazed how many people didn't understand what the point of All Gundam was. I guess Bandai really screwed up the explanation.

Bimmi posted:

To me it implies a kit that is not just better-looking but significantly more advanced in design and construction, and that's kind of exclusively an MG thing.

Not really sure how you could look at this and say with a straight face that HG hasn't advanced as much as MG has. Modern HGs feature standardized polycaps, AB connections, much greater parts separation, better engineering, better stickers, and generally look much nicer out of the box compared to their older brethren. That is pretty much the exact same leap in quality between MG Gundam 1.0 and 2.0.

EDIT: V I could get into another argument with you, but by now I've figured out that you're way too stubborn to ever admit that you could be wrong.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 8, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Better proportions, slightly better parts separation, but still basically the same style of kit. You're not going to see a great deal of advancement in that line compared to MG because there's simply less there to work with.

You have to pick and choose among the earliest HGUC entries to find the ones that really suffer compared to the current stuff (a lot of HGs old and new are saddled with lovely styling but that's beside the point) Compare an old MG to a newer one and it's almost a completely different animal.

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: V I could get into another argument with you, but by now I've figured out that you're way too stubborn to ever admit that you could be wrong.

You're adorable.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 8, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's hoping for baseball build parts

This is the best show ever

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fauxtool posted:

here's hoping for baseball build parts

This is the best show ever

The bat is in one of the accessory sets, along with some of the other weird pieces we see, like the scissor shield.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Watch them release the baseball cap set as a web exclusive. :unsmigghh:

I've pretty much stopped work on the 00 custom to get this guide out. I've finished planning it out, so I'll just edit this post whenever I finish a new part.

quote:

Part 0: Introduction
Part 1: Getting Started
Part 2: Buying Your First Kit
Part 3: Understanding The Manual
Part 4: Touching Up Your First Kit
Part 5: Topcoating
Part 6: Modding
Part 7: Know Your Paint
Part 8: Handpainting
Part 9: Airbrushing
Part 10: Display
Part 11: Conclusion

The lighting in my dorm is terrible so taking pictures is a complete pain. :argh:

EDIT: If you want to add something, just comment on it and I'll throw it in. Remember that the purpose of this guide is to get new people started though, not to confuse them with tons of "it's normally like this but in case X it's like Y".

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 11, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Reposting this because it made me laugh, and who couldn't use a good laugh nowadays?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Watch them release the baseball cap set as a web exclusive. :unsmigghh:

I've pretty much stopped work on the 00 custom to get this guide out. I've finished planning it out, so I'll just edit this post whenever I finish a new part.

The lighting in my dorm is terrible so taking pictures is a complete pain. :argh:

EDIT: If you want to add something, just comment on it and I'll throw it in. Remember that the purpose of this guide is to get new people started though, not to confuse them with tons of "it's normally like this but in case X it's like Y".

I suggest explicitly mentioning that the 1/144 HG, 1/100 MG, and 1/60 PG kits are significantly different sizes when built in part 2.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Bimmi posted:

Reposting this because it made me laugh, and who couldn't use a good laugh nowadays?

The Acguy ones are funny but the colony drop is goddamn hilarious.

"Mommy, why is the sky falling?"

"Some nerd needs something to hold up his tablet."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bimmi posted:

Does the Z'gok come with a tiny other-side-of-the-claw

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Phy posted:

Does the Z'gok come with a tiny other-side-of-the-claw

Wouldn't be hard to make one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Everyday, this has become my mantra. I wake, clothe, and take my iPhone. I bend down and whisper to the Acguy. "Thank, you Akahana."

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Hey, there, um... There wouldn't happen to be a G-Fortress MG kit, would there? Maybe as an accessory pack for the RX-78-2 v3.0?

EDIT: Also I kinda really want the colony drop one.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

The Muffinlord posted:

Hey, there, um... There wouldn't happen to be a G-Fortress MG kit, would there? Maybe as an accessory pack for the RX-78-2 v3.0?

EDIT: Also I kinda really want the colony drop one.

You mean The G-Fighter? It's only compatible with the 2.0 as far as I know.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It would work with G-Sky Easy mode since the 3.0 has the exact same core fighter as the 2.0!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Yeah! That dumb thing. I was just wondering how much extra crap I can put on this kit before it's structurally unstable. So far the only real weak points are the shoulder armor and the hip skirts, which both have a lot of pieces that don't really snap but rather push into each other, and the ball joints on the hip skirts are kinda loose at times. Having them like that means you can pretty much pose the legs any way you'd want legs to pose, but it doesn't take a lot of force for them to just pop out.

Also, speaking of core fighters, I was thrilled that the 3.0 still has a full core block system. For some reason when I'd heard that it had a full internal frame, I was worried that somehow they hadn't figured out how to manage that with the core block, but damned if they hadn't. Bandai's got some really goddamn smart people working on really silly problems for expensive fragile action figures and I'm really glad they do.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The 3.0 can work with the G-Fighter, you just have to do a single modification.

The 3.0 is obviously the same size as the 2.0, so you can slot it into the G-Armor just fine. The issue is the holes on the back; the 3.0 uses the same bazooka/rifle as the 2.0, so that means the skirt hole is identical, but the shield is different so you probably have to remove the leftmost peg. Though I'd try it out anyways just to see if it works.

Meanwhile G-Sky and G-Bull just connect to the Core Fighter, and as mentioned the 3.0 shares the 2.0's.

Midjack posted:

I suggest explicitly mentioning that the 1/144 HG, 1/100 MG, and 1/60 PG kits are significantly different sizes when built in part 2.

Wouldn't that be obvious just from reading the first post though? I mean if I'm understanding how this is going to work, Mecha Gojira will post the guide at the bottom of the OP or something.

EDIT: You could probably get the FA Gundam parts to fit on the 3.0 too, though they'd need a lot more work to attach. Well except for the gimmicky taped on stuff anyways.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 9, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Wouldn't that be obvious just from reading the first post though? I mean if I'm understanding how this is going to work, Mecha Gojira will post the guide at the bottom of the OP or something.
It is if you're coming from this thread, but if someone gets emailed/tweeted/otherwise receives the link in a vacuum and goes to your guide never having heard of SA they won't have that context.

Not a real big deal either way. So far, so good from here! :cheers:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
edit: I'm bad at reading.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 9, 2014

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I'm not one of the top ten posters in this thread.

And yeah, I'm hoping this is the year I finally finish a kit too. Not just bang one together in a weekend and throw it on the shelf either (I'm the guy who doesn't even panel line). I mean every step from washing the sprues to detailing and final topcoat.

Though I'm imagining that I'll probably end up frustrated due to my inexperience and lack of patience by the end of it and just go back to buying pre-painted action figures again like the last couple projects. But I'm trying to stay positive, dammit.

Also, Bimmi, I think I remember reading something about that too. Figured they'd do something for the Gundam 35th anniversary.

That sounds great! Usually this is the tipping point to start the next level of building; soon you'll be painting everything you can get your hands on, your house will start smelling on thinner, your buddies will start noticing your horrible nail colors and doubt your sexuality...

And after that you'll be thinking about modifying, scratchbuilding, scribing panel lines, dioramas, etc etc etc...:ohdear:

Seriously, I'd advise you to take it easy and take your time in building the kit. The tip is not to get burnt out and If you really get stuck, don't be afraid to cheat. Nobody is going to look inside that hard to see hole and notice you haven't cleaned that seamline or didn't paint that small piece. Just go at your own pace and enjoy the hobby and building process.

The final part of seeing that kit built up all painted and topcoated is the best part of the process. Seeing all that hard work pay off is really addicting and you'll be building your next kit in a heartbeat.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bimmi posted:

Where can I get one of these? :ohdear:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Wish I knew (note: I do not even own a tablet)

That colony-drop stand is just so out there it's hilarious. Easily the most tasteless piece of Gundam merch I've ever seen and I kind of love it.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 9, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bimmi posted:

Why would you an RX-78-2 posed in the middle of tossing the Gallop off a cliff? iPhones aren't exactly great at surviving falls, you know! :goonsay:

I may have been reading The Origin Vol.4

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I was looking at some of my older kits, and man, my Char's Zaku has some really nasty nubs on it. It looks like I wasn't really bothering with that one. I dunno what I did with this one years ago, some of the nubs are poking up like a milimeter or two in height. Maybe my younger self just snipped them off with my clippers!

I have to urge to start filing them down, but I've already topcoated it. I suppose I could file it down and topcoat it again.

Actually filing down nubs is so much better than hacking them off with an x-acto.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Can anyone recommend a decent dual action airbrush and compressor? also any tips on what sorts of paints to pick up?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

slightpirate posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent dual action airbrush and compressor? also any tips on what sorts of paints to pick up?

http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Hp-Air-Brush-Gun/dp/B000BQ8BUO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384992152&sr=8-3&keywords=IWATA+HP-C

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-AIRBRUS...+air+compressor

These seem to be the ones that come up whenever this question is asked. I have an iwata with a siphon bottle, but I haven't had the chance to get a compressor yet.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

slightpirate posted:

Do you mean acrylic, enamel, or whatever, or do you mean brands of paint?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

slightpirate posted:

Iwata is good, I've also liked using aztec airbrushes. compressors are generally what you can find cheap, I've had mine for like a decade, I got some off brand model.

For paints, Tamiya acrylics are what I use, their widely available and come in quite a few colors. Also airbrush really well.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I thought nothing could be worse than masking.

I was wrong. :suicide:

Also for paints, Vallejo is one of the best acrylics, Testors Model Masters is like the only real enamel choice (though if you're airbrushing you do not want to use enamels), and for lacquers Mr. Color is The Gunpla paint. Alclad is also really, really great for metallics.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Good luck with that putty dude. Jesus I dread the day I decide I want to try it

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlitzBlast posted:

I thought nothing could be worse than masking.

I was wrong. :suicide:

Also for paints, Vallejo is one of the best acrylics, Testors Model Masters is like the only real enamel choice (though if you're airbrushing you do not want to use enamels), and for lacquers Mr. Color is The Gunpla paint. Alclad is also really, really great for metallics.

what are you trying to do there?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Filling in holes. On the left in both pictures you can see the original piece, and on the right is how it looked after an hour of messing with putty. Oh, turns out that you're not supposed to try and fill in the whole thing at once like I did, so all of my troubles were soley due to my own stupidity. :downs:

Also, Mecha Gojira, with part 4 done the guide has everything a new builder would actually need to know to assemble a kit covered. You could probably make the new thread now, or after I finish the topcoat section.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pla plate would have been a better solution there. It also appears you're using epoxy putty, which has fairly limited and specific uses as a cosmetic material IMO. Polyester putty is much easier to sand flat and is probably the better choice for anything that doesn't require the sheer structural strength of epoxy.

And yes, applying too much putty at once is bad. I've seen the solvents and heat from curing literally warp and melt parts before, which is definitely the sort of thing that will ruin your day.

edit: VVV yup, pretty much that. Geezers like me used to call it "sheet plastic" but I try to stay hep to the lingo.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 10, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

Pla plate would have been a better solution there. It also appears you're using epoxy putty, which has fairly limited and specific uses as a cosmetic material IMO. Polyester putty is much easier to sand flat and is probably a better material for anything that doesn't require the sheer structural strength of epoxy.

And yes, applying too much putty at once is bad. I've seen the solvents and heat from curing literally warp and melt parts before, which is definitely the sort of thing that will ruin your day.

pla plate is probably the same thing, but I fill large gaps like that with plasticard and small amounts of putty.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
VVV I like Milliput for certain things but it's kind of a bitch to carve and especially to sand. Great for figure kits and scratchbuildiing, though.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I actually did use plaplate, you can see the remains of the plastic cement in the right picture. Cutting out and welding on numerous pieces would probably have been even less fun (though I realized shortly afterwards that for the hilt I could have welded on plaplate at the top and bottom and just filled in the middle with putty), and for the other part, due to the way the kit is constructed, using plaplate would have been incredibly difficult.

Also Milliput for life. :colbert:

• Locked thread