Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Ah no, I wasn't clear. It's a description of the situation, a description of why it drives people to laughter. Something grandeur macabre I dunno.

L'esprit de l'escalier. Wait, no it'll come to me later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm about to leave the company I work for. I work at home, don't go into the office (no plans to do so until I leave), but I want to do a 2 week notice. I know standard convention calls for a written notice, but would email be ok in this situation? This is not a job that they're really going to miss me being gone. It's a call center if that explains it. I'd just rather not burn any bridges anymore, I've done that in my life with too many other jobs.

It sounds like the call center is OK with being paperless, so I would say it's OK to send a resignation letter via e-mail. But it would probably also be a good idea to call your boss to confirm that they know that you're leaving. Just because there might be so many e-mail messages they have to read that your resignation letter might get lost in the shuffle.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 9, 2014

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!
Where did the ullillia thread in games go? I can't find it anymore.

Edit Nevermind, it's in the gas chamber.

MrDutch fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 9, 2014

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Do identical twins have "identical" metabolisms? I feel like I've never seen an identical twin and his obese brother.

There is more to your buildup than genetic makeup. There is an extra factor called epigenetics, these are additions to your DNA that can make some places impossible to read. It is the reason why, say, your brain cell and muscle cells can share (mostly) the same DNA but still are completely different.

Epigenetics is also infuenced by external factors. Research is still relatively new on this (it is immensely complex) but there are hints that epigenetics on the brain in particular is responsible for differences in identical twin personalities and the like. Likewise, diseases like metabolism disorders can be the end result of a complex chain of events that epigenetically make one twin distinct from the other. These small cumulative differences are also the reason why even identical twins usually don't look exactly alike.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Ah no, I wasn't clear. It's a description of the situation, a description of why it drives people to laughter. Something grandeur macabre I dunno.

Grand Guignol?

syscall girl posted:

L'esprit de l'escalier. Wait, no it'll come to me later.

I get it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

What is the difference between gifcam and gooncam as programs for creating gifs?

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Tell me how to get a goddamn bird out of my house. I have a huge unopenable and uncoverable window in a vaulted ceiling which the bird would rather keep scrabbling against than actually go through an open window or door. It is in the main body of the house. I am trying to lure it into a smaller room with fewer windows but it would rather just keep banging against the big window. I have cats that are going crazy.

This is actually the forth bird that was in my house from yesterday. I got two out and one died/got killed. I swear this one fell from the big window and landed in front of the open door and instead chose to fly back up to the window. I don't want to keep the door open too long because more birds can apparently just fly in.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

There is more to your buildup than genetic makeup. There is an extra factor called epigenetics, these are additions to your DNA that can make some places impossible to read. It is the reason why, say, your brain cell and muscle cells can share (mostly) the same DNA but still are completely different.

Epigenetics is also infuenced by external factors. Research is still relatively new on this (it is immensely complex) but there are hints that epigenetics on the brain in particular is responsible for differences in identical twin personalities and the like. Likewise, diseases like metabolism disorders can be the end result of a complex chain of events that epigenetically make one twin distinct from the other. These small cumulative differences are also the reason why even identical twins usually don't look exactly alike.

Also, a person's metabolism is affected by way more than just genes. Diet and exercise will both have huge impacts on how quick someone's metabolism is. Simple example, eating a lot of fiber not only makes you poop more, but it slows your body's absorption of sugar (iirc).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BobKnob posted:

Tell me how to get a goddamn bird out of my house. I have a huge unopenable and uncoverable window in a vaulted ceiling which the bird would rather keep scrabbling against than actually go through an open window or door. It is in the main body of the house. I am trying to lure it into a smaller room with fewer windows but it would rather just keep banging against the big window. I have cats that are going crazy.

This is actually the forth bird that was in my house from yesterday. I got two out and one died/got killed. I swear this one fell from the big window and landed in front of the open door and instead chose to fly back up to the window. I don't want to keep the door open too long because more birds can apparently just fly in.

There are a few options that you might be able to make use of. The easiest would be to call animal control. They should be able to get the bird out of your house without hurting the bird or your house and they might even be able to tell you how to prevent this in the future.

But if you want some free options:

How tall is your vaulted ceiling? Is it so tall that you can't get on a step stool and use a broom or something similar (soft) to shoo the bird out of that area? Of course, you might injure the bird doing this. If you are less concerned for the well being of the animal, you could try tossing a nerf ball at it to get it out of there. Again, I'm not advocating aiming for or hitting the bird directly - Just try and scare it away.

I guess the next option would be some sort of cat jetpack, but I haven't seen one of those in years.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

BobKnob posted:

Make your house as dark as possible, then open the doors to outside. They'll go towards the light.

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm about to leave the company I work for. I work at home, don't go into the office (no plans to do so until I leave), but I want to do a 2 week notice. I know standard convention calls for a written notice, but would email be ok in this situation? This is not a job that they're really going to miss me being gone. It's a call center if that explains it. I'd just rather not burn any bridges anymore, I've done that in my life with too many other jobs.

I'd give them a week's notice, max. As another poster mentioned, they can just fire you after you give your notice. It's not a law that you have to give 2 weeks notice, it's just a courtesy. Also, your employer can in most states reduce your pay to minimum wage after you put in your notice. So you can do the right thing and give your two week's notice, and still end up fired or with a tiny final paycheck and it's totally legal! Assuming you're in America Greatest Country On Earth, that is.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Is there a more effective way to stop junk mail from coming to my house than to call each one individually and scream at them?
I spent 40 minutes one day calling the numbers on the various ads and offers I get, and most people who answered the phones didn't even know how to take me off the list.

This conversation happened:
"Hi, I get your ad every week. How do I get removed from the mailing list?"
"No problem sir, I will take care of it."
"Don't you need my info?"
"Oh, uh, yeah.....sure."

Needless to say I still get their ad.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I have a Google account that's set up through their apps feature (a custom domain). The person in my organization who manages it is an idiot and let the domain expire, where it was then immediately swooped up by some Chinese bot. I still have control over my individual account, however I'm not certain what the ramifications are now that somebody else may have control over the bigger picture. I have many things tied to this account; basically every Google service, many of which won't let me migrate to a different account so I fear that I'm stuck. Should I be worried or is there anything I could do?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Baldbeard posted:

Is there a more effective way to stop junk mail from coming to my house than to call each one individually and scream at them?
I spent 40 minutes one day calling the numbers on the various ads and offers I get, and most people who answered the phones didn't even know how to take me off the list.

"Oh, uh, yeah.....sure."

If you have an iOS device, the app paper karma works wonders for this kind of thing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Baldbeard posted:

"Oh, uh, yeah.....sure."

I'm not sure whether or not it works outside of Seattle yet, but there's Catalog Choice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Douche4Sale posted:

If you have an iOS device, the app paper karma works wonders for this kind of thing.

They also have an Android version. However, it doesn't work so well for those damned extended auto warranties.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

41pounds.org is another option. I know a few folks who have used them with some success. Basically you pay them a relatively small fee to contact junk mail senders for you.

e:

hooah posted:

They also have an Android version. However, it doesn't work so well for those damned extended auto warranties.

You'll probably never be able to stop those. All those companies are barely a step above scammers, so there's no way they'll ever remove you from their mailing list.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Geokinesis posted:

What is the difference between gifcam and gooncam as programs for creating gifs?

I prefer Gooncam.

It seems to makes better quality gifs at a lower file size, and has the option within the program to upload directly to Imgur.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Farecoal posted:

I'm trying to order contact lenses based off the prescription my optometrist gave me a few days ago, specifically Biofinity Toric lenses. However, when I go to order them from here or here, I can't choose the right CYL or axis. On the prescription, the CYL for my left eye is supposed to be 1.00, the axis for my right eye 105, and the axis for my left eye 075, but none of those are available options. What gives?

Also, I can't choose the right power for my left eye either (-6.25)

Make sure the prescription you were given is specifically for contacts. I learned at my last optomotrist visit that prescriptions for glasses and contacts are slightly different, since glasses sit further away from the eye.
I think most toric contacts start at 1.50 cyl. Both my eyes are astigmatic but because my left eye is less so, there's not a toric lens for it

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
How do I download a Silverlight video to my computer through Chrome?

edit: found out that flashgot in firefox works (through a 3+ year old message board thread found through google). gently caress Silverlight up the rear end.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 9, 2014

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.
Suspicious Juilliard story conclusion: I talked to a nice woman in their Communications department. She said that "Chang" was the person's first name, they and their sister did indeed both attend Juilliard, and they were both far from being the youngest two ever to have been admitted.

According to the woman I talked to, one old guy who now teaches there claims he was admitted when he was 3. She didn't relate this story to me like she believed it.

It seems weirder to me somehow that people who are actually affiliated with the institution would make up secondary lies connected to it (like, as opposed to some wannabe completely inventing the whole story).

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Can ayahuasca be used to kickstart getting off of nicotine like it's used to help with other drug addictions like heroin?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Pirate Captain posted:

You can even use zero instead of urandom (dd if=/dev/zero) to wipe with all zeroes, which will run 3 or 4 time faster and for practical purposes be just as secure.

This worked like a charm and only took about an hour or so. Thanks!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Dudebro posted:

Can ayahuasca be used to kickstart getting off of nicotine like it's used to help with other drug addictions like heroin?

There's never really been that much systematic investigation of this stuff, but the Wikipedia page for Ibogaine has a citation on nicotine addiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibogaine#Treatment_for_various_addictions

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Xandu posted:

There's never really been that much systematic investigation of this stuff, but the Wikipedia page for Ibogaine has a citation on nicotine addiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibogaine#Treatment_for_various_addictions

poo poo, that's what I meant, thanks. Ibogaine was mentioned in Homeland recently and I saw a Vice doc on it with a guy who went to Mexico (or was it Vice TV?). I think ayahuasca is used for intense spiritual journeys.

Xali
Feb 6, 2006

Would be great if someone could help me find a thread -or threads, if there are more, about interior design something along the lines of "PYF apartment/house", PYF goon house or just stuff about original design ideas. Have been looking but cant find anything.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Edit: Whoops, wrong thread

Doctor Bishop fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 11, 2014

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Why do I see so many people misspell "lose" as "loose?" I can understand it happening every once in a while but it seems like I see it all the time. Does loose mean lose? I must know.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

N. Senada posted:

Why do I see so many people misspell "lose" as "loose?" I can understand it happening every once in a while but it seems like I see it all the time. Does loose mean lose? I must know.

It's a frequent misspelling. "Loose" as a verb means "to set loose" or "unbind"; it doesn't mean "to lose".

"Loose weigh" is one I see all the time. "I weight 150 pounds, but I want to loose some weigh." :smithicide:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It probably has something to do with the fact that the vowel sound in lose usually comes from a double O in English, whereas when you have a single vowel followed by a silent E it's usually a long vowel.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

stubblyhead posted:

It probably has something to do with the fact that the vowel sound in lose usually comes from a double O in English, whereas when you have a single vowel followed by a silent E it's usually a long vowel.

English is just stupid sometimes. Consider "rose" vs "lose". I can understand where the confusion comes from, certainly I remember being taught all about double-o in phonics.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FeloniousDrunk posted:

English is just stupid sometimes.

This is the most important takeaway here.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

FeloniousDrunk posted:

English is just stupid sometimes. Consider "rose" vs "lose". I can understand where the confusion comes from, certainly I remember being taught all about double-o in phonics.

It's that English took a poo poo load of loan words from other languages, but never standardized spelling, so every word is spelled by the logic of its linguistic origin.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

N. Senada posted:

For the same reason that people often write "I've got a stuffy noose," except it's the other way around.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

I prefer Gooncam.

It seems to makes better quality gifs at a lower file size, and has the option within the program to upload directly to Imgur.

Do you have a link? I haven't noticed one about for it.

kiriana
Mar 8, 2011
Can anyone tell me the current "fad" for 7-10 yr old girls in France? I am a Girl Scout troop leader in the States, and we are doing a project on France to educate other Girl Scouts about the country. I would love to know what those girls are "into". Thank you!

Sweet Calamity
Feb 15, 2008
Take nothing from nothing and you'll have nothing left.
I have a kind of strange question that I may not get an answer to. At my apartment we have a bunch of DVDs without cases that various people have given us or left behind. Is there anywhere my roommate and I could sell those online besides eBay? I can't imagine there's anywhere local to sell them, but if so we live in NC in the Charlotte/Pineville area.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sweet Calamity posted:

I have a kind of strange question that I may not get an answer to. At my apartment we have a bunch of DVDs without cases that various people have given us or left behind. Is there anywhere my roommate and I could sell those online besides eBay? I can't imagine there's anywhere local to sell them, but if so we live in NC in the Charlotte/Pineville area.

A lot of them might be worth barely anything. Try seeing if you can donate them to a local library system, lots of them are fine with taking uncased DVDs so long as they're in playable condition.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Pawn shop will probably give you $1 each for them.

Sweet Calamity
Feb 15, 2008
Take nothing from nothing and you'll have nothing left.

Install Windows posted:

A lot of them might be worth barely anything. Try seeing if you can donate them to a local library system, lots of them are fine with taking uncased DVDs so long as they're in playable condition.

Thanks, I figured as much but I thought I'd ask for my roommate anyways. We'll probably end up donating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Does this style of collar have a specific name?