Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of pro wrestling video games, what is the general consensus on the early SmackDown! games (say...before it switched over to SmackDown vs. Raw)? I remember really liking them when I was younger, and I still play a game of Here Comes the Pain whenever I travel to my parents home. The controls were really simple up until probably Here Comes the Pain too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

I loved in No Mercy how the 3D was made to be the most devastating move ever. It had something ridiculous like "SS" damage or something, and it sounded like a nuke hit whenever it was pulled off.

It actually has a damage rating of "—" which apparently means no damage.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

TL posted:

I love No Mercy, but I'd KILL for a new game using the Day of Reckoning engine.

I really wanted to like those games but the collision detection really gets on my nerve. I mean if I knock someone out of a headlock we shouldn't be all on the mat for three days.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The animations in No Mercy were also really great. They started off kinda odd in WCW vs NWO World Tour, but they got much better over every game, and the ones that were new to No Mercy were excellent. Nowadays the new animations are much more consistently good, but there was a long time last decade where move animations looked like garbage in every single game.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
No Mercy (and all N64 games) fall strongly into the 'you had to be there' category. If you were not there, tough. Live with the plebeian experiences of your lesser generations.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

crankdatbatman posted:

Speaking of pro wrestling video games, what is the general consensus on the early SmackDown! games (say...before it switched over to SmackDown vs. Raw)? I remember really liking them when I was younger, and I still play a game of Here Comes the Pain whenever I travel to my parents home. The controls were really simple up until probably Here Comes the Pain too.

I really like Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role, but I'm a bit biased as it's the only wrestling game I've played thoroughly, and it's what got me into wrestling in the first place. I have no clue how good it's considered compared to other wrestling games though.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Funktastic posted:

I really like Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role, but I'm a bit biased as it's the only wrestling game I've played thoroughly, and it's what got me into wrestling in the first place. I have no clue how good it's considered compared to other wrestling games though.

Was that the one that had the never ending career mode? I remember playing as the Hurricane and leaving to make movies in Hollywood before returning and turning heel for no reason at all.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AfterFather posted:

Was that the one that had the never ending career mode? I remember playing as the Hurricane and leaving to make movies in Hollywood before returning and turning heel for no reason at all.

Pretty sure it isn't. Hurricane isn't in the game.

Edit: Though season mode is never ending as far as I know. At least, I've never actually gotten to the end.

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer

crankdatbatman posted:

My fifth console generation of choice was PlayStation, so I grew up on SmackDown! and Know Your Role, and I thought they were awesome. The original's season mode was very simplistic (one show per month) and there wasn't much logical progression in the "story" outside of any randomly-assigned relationships between other wrestlers. The season mode in KYR was a loving chore, every match HAD to have a progression bar to determine which person won. There's also, like, hundreds of story points that could be made, but I always ever encountered the same 20 cutscenes. Thanks, KYR, for making me wait through 45 seconds of loading screens to witness Mankind adjusting wristbands that he doesn't have, but the CAW improved greatly over the original's template choices. Not to mention it was also the first WWE game to feature the Cell, which was a huge deal for me back then.

That being said, the gameplay was fast and chaotic, which is the defining trait I liked about the game. My friend came over with his N64 and No Mercy with an expansion pack, and it still felt like controlling a slug slowly bodyslamming another slug. I could never get into it.

End result: KYR is choice, avoid the season mode, play multiplayer.

TheWorstAmy fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 9, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

crankdatbatman posted:

Here Comes The Pain was fantastic (Goldberg vs Lesnar all day, every day), but that series went downhill REALLY fast.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If World Tour were never released, I never would have started watching Nitro.

Edit: I should clarify: Wrestling in general, starting with Nitro.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 9, 2014

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
The moveset customization was absolutely incredible too. Every single attack your wrestler did you could set.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I preferred the ponderousness of No Mercy over the arcade-y speed of Smackdown. It gave the character models a feeling of weight and mass despite there being no physics engine to speak of, which made move impacts really satisfying (the sound design helped too). Most modern games made on Unreal Engine 3 don't have that kind of weight. By contrast, in Smackdown you could awkwardly launch opponents over the top rope in any number of ludicrous and glitchy-looking ways. If you hit a ground attack on an opponent while they were getting up they would jerkily slam back on the mat as though they'd just been hit with a powerbomb and bounce halfway across the ring. It was terrible.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You guys are lucky, I grew up with War Zone and my parents wouldn't buy me more wrestling games because they didn't like the language. (Thanks Stone Cold!)

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

At least you weren't saddled with the digitized novelty act that was WWF In Your House.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

My first PS1 game I played when I got it for Christmas was War Zone. God I tried with that game. I quickly switched to Spyro. Then Attitude was a step up at least.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

crankdatbatman posted:

The first two games are fun but the really manic and twitchy pace is kind of a turnoff because moves don't feel like they have weight at times but as pick-up-and-play titles they are still somewhat fun.

Just Bring It was mediocre back then and is skippable now with Shut Your Mouth and especially Here Comes the Pain (the latter the best of the pre-SVR titles) being huge freaking improvements. Here Comes the Pain is a blast to play because it found a way to have the energy of the SmackDown titles but making the moves feel like they hurt.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

My first one was WCW Mayhem, and my CAW used Dean Malenko's theme music.

Then my second was one of the Legends of Wrestling games (I THINK it was the second one) and my CAW had Warrior's theme. I still remember that I'd spend entire matches just Polish hammering guys.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Here Comes the Pain is really the only Smackdown game you want from the entirety of the PS2 era. Shut Your Mouth is almost as good, Just Bring It was essentially a PSX game ported to PS2. Smackdown 2006 is well-liked. I honestly don't remember if the first SvR was any good and Just Bring It was my first game in the series, though I've played some of the older ones where you can wrestle as Paul Bearer in a backstage brawl.

HCTP was either very competitive or far better for gameplay than every other Smackdown until maybe this year, and this year still has flaws. That's ten loving years of mediocrity.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just Bring It was awesome solely for the fact you could have 8-Man Battle Royals. They switched it to 6-Man Battle Royals from Shut Your Mouth onwards as far as I know.

Also WWF Attitude was my first wrestling game and the one that got me into wrestling in general. It was a pile of poo poo looking back on it but I enjoyed it.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
The hours me and my cousins spent on Warzone and Attitude was obscene. I have found memories of the hardcore matches in Warzone when the table would generate. Just once a match mind! Then hitting a sweet British Bulldog running powerslam through it. Also the only game ever that allows you to hit superkicks to the back of the head.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

MisterGBH posted:

The hours me and my cousins spent on Warzone and Attitude was obscene. I have found memories of the hardcore matches in Warzone when the table would generate. Just once a match mind! Then hitting a sweet British Bulldog running powerslam through it. Also the only game ever that allows you to hit superkicks to the back of the head.

I played Warzone way too much. I think I made more CAWs in this game than any. However, given that you didn't have to assign individual moves, it went a lot faster.
Attitude was weird. It had a pretty solid roster and I appreciate some of the work they put into the entrances, even if they looked a bit funny in execution.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Glamorama26 posted:

I feel like Joe Gagne, who does a youtube series over the history of wrestling games, should sue.

He's involved with the project too I believe.

God, War Zone was so bad I can't believe I played it so much (especially since I owned World Tour as well). Just empty lovely arenas with lifeless models and awful commentary. The particularly awful CAW taunts when you hit people with foreign objects are burned into my brain forever. "Oh yeah. OHHHHHHH YEAH"

I miss the "weighty" nature of the AKI games as well. Once you beat the crap out of someone, you could tell. They moved sluggishly and held their heads/legs when they went across the ring, and when you knocked them down you got that incredibly satisfying KO animation where they struggle to sit up and then fall back down. These days you can powerbomb a guy through 30 tables, wear all his limbs down to red, and he'll still only stay down for 0.5 seconds while you're trying to climb a ladder. You could beat people down enough that you could legitimately win ladder matches in No Mercy. In modern games I just cheese it from the beginning and go for the belt instantly since there's no hope of keeping the guys down.

Tato fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 9, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Day of Reckoning was frigging great. I remember playing as Shawn Michaels and recreating the "Rock comes off the ropes for a People's Elbow and runs into a superkick" spot. You could do stuff like that, it was amazing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

AkumaHokoru posted:

The moveset customization was absolutely incredible too. Every single attack your wrestler did you could set.

Drove me crazy that you couldn't edit wrestler's movesets though. Angle started using the Ankle Lock, just let me give it to him!

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

MisterGBH posted:

This was basically me and my friends with WWF RAW on the SNES. The battle for obtaining the chairs and bucket never got old.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Smoking Crow posted:

You guys are lucky, I grew up with War Zone and my parents wouldn't buy me more wrestling games because they didn't like the language. (Thanks Stone Cold!)

Thanks for making me feel old. All of my wrestling video game memories are from the NES and Gameboy.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Tato posted:

He's involved with the project too I believe.

God, War Zone was so bad I can't believe I played it so much (especially since I owned World Tour as well). Just empty lovely arenas with lifeless models and awful commentary. The particularly awful CAW taunts when you hit people with foreign objects are burned into my brain forever. "Oh yeah. OHHHHHHH YEAH"

PLAY-ER ONE! PLAY-ER ONE! PLAY-ER ONE!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Tato posted:

"T-BONE.... it's what's for dinner!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If you take everything good away from War Zone and Attitude you get the ECW games.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

bradzilla posted:

PLAY-ER ONE! PLAY-ER ONE! PLAY-ER ONE!

This is still the greatest chant in a game ever. We had a player one chat going at a local show once.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
As if I hadn't already shown that I'm old, here's WWF Wrestlefest!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

bobkatt013 posted:

If you take everything good away from War Zone and Attitude you get the ECW games.

Didn't the ECW games have that match where the ring is surrounded by lava or fire or something?

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I like how Jake Roberts and Ted DiBiase are almost in lifelike detail, everyone else is a cartoon (especially Warrior), and Hulk Hogan who is... supposed to look intense... but just looks insane.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

Didn't the ECW games have that match where the ring is surrounded by lava or fire or something?

Yes it had inferno matches, and they were stupid.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ted appears to be masturbating, and Jake looks like he wants to eat the snake and then he's like "just kidding!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Mr. Perfect looks like he's saying "'DERP DERP DERP!' That's my impression of you!"

Also, quite a few pages back, everyone was talking about some of their favorite announcer/commentator calls of all time. I was recently watching TLC II from WrestleMania X7 and there was this gem from JR...

"Lita is jerking Edge off!

...that ladder!"

It takes him a good three to five seconds to realize what he's said and add the last two words. I'm surprised Heyman didn't lose it.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Funny you say that, because I was thinking that Warrior's was doing the :fap: motion. Looking at Hogan's it really does make you wonder how he was ever a babyface.

Edit: Something that just came to mind: my memory's hazy on this, but has Gene Oakerlund ever introduced himself as Mean Gene, or was that what everybody else called him? And where did the name come from (I assume simply because it rhymed)?

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 9, 2014

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Can someone explain the La Parka / L.A. Park thing to me? How did the new La Parka take over the gimmick when the other guy was still wrestling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Ted appears to be masturbating

Goddamn it now they ALL look like they're jerking off

Thanks, Halloween Jack!