Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Boris Galerkin posted:

Throwing a stick (or half of one) of butter into the chili as it's cooking: stupid or delicious?

worse than a can of beans (but only just barely)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Those short rib nachos look sooooo good

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

mindphlux posted:

worse than a can of beans (but only just barely)

What is wrong with beans in chili?

Answer: absolutely nothing. :colbert:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ignoring the end result with the nachos

God made chili. God made nachos. It follows logically* that chili on nachos is simply meant to be.

* Logic applies only to foodstuffs deemed acceptable by Choadmaster. Logic does not apply to beans. Logic does not endorse the existence of any deity. Logic not valid in AK, HI or US Territories.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 5, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Crazyeyes posted:

What is wrong with beans in chili?

Answer: absolutely nothing. :colbert:

well I mean you just have to pick the chili out of the beans, but other than that I guess nothing much...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

^^^ Why waste your time? The dog won't care!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Choadmaster posted:

God made chili. God made nachos. It follows logically* that chili on nachos is simply meant to be.

* Logic applies only to foodstuffs deemed acceptable by Choadmaster. Logic does apply to beans. Logic does not endorse the existence of any deity. Logic not valid in AK, HI or US Territories.

Oh trust me, I would eat those nachos in a heartbeat. I just wanted to add disclaimers in case people got in arms about me posting a recipe that wasn't exclusively about chili.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm about to start on my first real chili, previous attempts were just ground beef and beans, basically. I'll be basing this on beef ribs, but
a) I also have some ground pork. Y/N?
b) There's half a can of chipotles in adobo sauce from another experiment in the fridge. Not sure how long it's been, maybe a month? They look and smell ok. The label doesn't say anything and I'm retarded. Y/N?

I enjoyed the previous ground beef attempts, but I'm really looking forward to the texture in this :)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm about to start on my first real chili, previous attempts were just ground beef and beans, basically. I'll be basing this on beef ribs, but
a) I also have some ground pork. Y/N?
b) There's half a can of chipotles in adobo sauce from another experiment in the fridge. Not sure how long it's been, maybe a month? They look and smell ok. The label doesn't say anything and I'm retarded. Y/N?

I enjoyed the previous ground beef attempts, but I'm really looking forward to the texture in this :)

Don't mix ground and whole meat, it's weird. Pork and beef, yes. Whole and ground, no.

The chillies are fine.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Made chili using the america's test kitchen slow cooker recipe for the Eagles game. Eagles lost, brought out the whiskey, forgot to turn slow cooker off. Never again...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Scientastic posted:

Don't mix ground and whole meat, it's weird. Pork and beef, yes. Whole and ground, no.

The chillies are fine.

I actually really like some ground meat in with chili sometimes. It helps add some thickness and body. It completely breaks down by the time that the whole chunks are tender enough.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scientastic posted:

The chillies are fine.

I like mixing shredded meat with sausage, personally.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Maybe I'm crazy, but I wouldn't want to eat anything that has been opened and then sat in the fridge for a month. Chipotles in adobo are like $1, just buy a new can.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Choadmaster posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I wouldn't want to eat anything that has been opened and then sat in the fridge for a month. Chipotles in adobo are like $1, just buy a new can.

yeah man I loving hate pickles, and wine, and butter, and bacon, and rice, and soysauce, and hotsauce, and eggs, and mustard, and cheese, and steak, and pork, and ketchup, and butter, and ham, and jam, and kimchi, and mayonnaise, and chipoltes in adobo.

gently caress that poo poo christ

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I like to put cans of chipotlobo in the blender and then have a super awesome sauce for whenever and it never goes bad

Honestly it's better than most hot sauces

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Choadmaster posted:

They're usually not 1 dollar at all, actually, maybe if you live in Mexico or wherever.

And like phlux said, seriously, poo poo keeps in the fridge much longer than people think. If it's bad, it'll have mold or smell and taste wierd. If something still tastes good it's highly unlikely that it's gone bad already.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My chipotle in adobo started tasting weird after about 3 or 4 days in the fridge and I tossed the remainder on day 6.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Alternatively you can just freeze the stuff after you open the can. Plus that way you can shave off bits of adobo goodness as required. In my case the stuff never lasts long enough for it to matter. How much are you guys putting in a batch? Last time I did half a can in a 5 lb batch (4 lbs beef, 1 lb breakfast sausage) and I could probably have doubled that and been okay.

Also my wife and I had a funny conversation. She decided last night, after years of me making chili without beans, that she preferred it the other way. In her words, "yours is just meat."

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Alternatively you can just freeze the stuff after you open the can. Plus that way you can shave off bits of adobo goodness as required. In my case the stuff never lasts long enough for it to matter. How much are you guys putting in a batch? Last time I did half a can in a 5 lb batch (4 lbs beef, 1 lb breakfast sausage) and I could probably have doubled that and been okay.

Also my wife and I had a funny conversation. She decided last night, after years of me making chili without beans, that she preferred it the other way. In her words, "yours is just meat."

Sever.

But seriously I usually use two to three chipotles' worth for 4 lbs of meat (plus powder/paste and fresh chilies). It tastes too smokey for me if you put the whole can in, but whatever works for your taste.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

yeah man I loving hate pickles, and wine, and butter, and bacon, and rice, and soysauce, and hotsauce, and eggs, and mustard, and cheese, and steak, and pork, and ketchup, and butter, and ham, and jam, and kimchi, and mayonnaise, and chipoltes in adobo.

You drink open wine after a month?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah I'm with bunnielab on this one.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I made chili on Sunday and decided to start off by making a dark roux, like I normally would for a gumbo, to cook my veggies in before adding the rest of the ingredients.

It ended up adding a real nice nutty undertone to the whole chili and I plan on doing this from now on.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A can of chipotles in adobo is like five bucks here. I'm not really cheap enough to eat actually spoiled food, but it's just a pain in the rear end to procure since probably like two Mexican live around here.

Anyway, I'm not dead yet, so here's what the result looks like:

The ribs taste great, but separating the meat from the bone/other crap was annoying, and I also suspect that they're not very cost effective as these inedible parts made up like 40% of it.

While there are no beans in this, I did blend a few tomatoes to create some bulk for the sauce. Is the more traditional approach to only use a shitload of (less than crazy spicy) chilis instead? I used a few jalapenos, a habanero, the above mentioned chipotles, a bunch of unidentified tiny chilis and a homegrown pepper. But that made up a relatively tiny amount, and would make everything ridiculously spicy if I added any more of these.

As nice as this is, I don't see myself just eating it from a bowl unless it was a bit more liquid perhaps. I was making a pizza today and dropped some of this on a quarter for a test, that turned out pretty awesome.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you need a base of mild chiles to provide bulk and moisture.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

You drink open wine after a month?

yeah dude, I use both mirin and sake for cooking that is like 8-12 months old. I drink wine that is 3-5 years old. I have a bottle of open port that I opened like last may, poo poo still tastes great. ditto for a sauternes

I had some red wine I had open too long and it started to vinegar - I tossed some mother in it, and now I'm still drinking/using it in salad dressings and poo poo

poo poo keeps

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Martello posted:

They're usually not 1 dollar at all, actually, maybe if you live in Mexico or wherever.
Thank goodness for meat processing plants and the Mexicans who staff them creating demand, because I live in northern Missouri and can buy three different brands of chipotles in adobo at Wal-Mart for a maximum price of like $1.50.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Moe_Rahn posted:

Thank goodness for meat processing plants and the Mexicans who staff them creating demand, because I live in northern Missouri and can buy three different brands of chipotles in adobo at Wal-Mart for a maximum price of like $1.50.

Ditto except Oregon and WinCo. They also sell lots of dried chiles, so I tossed together some homemade chili powder, and along with the canned chipotle tip from page 1, it made my lazy crock pot chili (tons of 93 or 99 ground turkey, some beans, and tomato sauce if I remember) much better. Good poo poo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a difference in flavor between toasting my dried chiles and then blending it into a powder vs toasting them and then boiling them in water and then blending it like when I'd make enchiladas?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

mindphlux posted:

Yes, I was clearly referring to well-known condiments and other items full of preservatives (vinegar/sugar/salt/alcohol), or items undergoing a careful aging or curing process (I pray that's what you meant with the pork and steak), and not untested items for which the preservative factor (canning) has been removed.

:jerkbag:

Voted Alligator
Apr 13, 2005
shpoods

quote:

Ingredients
Chipotle Peppers, Water, Tomato Paste, Jalapeno Peppers, Vinegar, Spices, Salt, Sugar, Safflower Oil, Onions and Garlic Oil

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a difference in flavor between toasting my dried chiles and then blending it into a powder vs toasting them and then boiling them in water and then blending it like when I'd make enchiladas?

I have done both in different batches of the same chili recipe and the only difference I've noticed is that making powder is a lot more work. I didn't even boil them, I just let the dried chilies soak in warm water. Bonus of using the leftover chili water to cook rice later.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The main reason to make chili powder is so you have chili powder sitting around. It's a nice seasoning! But if you just want it for a batch of chili the paste will do the trick, since that's essentially what the chili powder turns into once it gets into the pot.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kenning posted:

The main reason to make chili powder is so you have chili powder sitting around. It's a nice seasoning! But if you just want it for a batch of chili the paste will do the trick, since that's essentially what the chili powder turns into once it gets into the pot.

You can also use chili paste to cook with! After all, you see a lot of ginger/garlic/chile pastes used in Asian cooking - why not sub a fresh chile paste for a dried reconstituted chile paste?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm bummed that the local candy store owned by a chile head was sold and no longer sells dried peppers. The lady had a bunch of them at decent prices and the sad selection I can find in my county are mostly marked up way too high. :smith:

But, luckily, my mother-in-law sent me a giant sack of milder peppers that make decent base that I can doctor up with other chilis I find reasonably priced. But it is running low. Any decent webstores with bulk dried chilis worth ordering? Or should I nag my wife's mother to send me another jumbo sack she can just buy cheaper than dirt on the side of the road?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm bummed that the local candy store owned by a chile head was sold and no longer sells dried peppers. The lady had a bunch of them at decent prices and the sad selection I can find in my county are mostly marked up way too high. :smith:

But, luckily, my mother-in-law sent me a giant sack of milder peppers that make decent base that I can doctor up with other chilis I find reasonably priced. But it is running low. Any decent webstores with bulk dried chilis worth ordering? Or should I nag my wife's mother to send me another jumbo sack she can just buy cheaper than dirt on the side of the road?

http://www.penderys.com/

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

The Lord Bude posted:

I PM'd it to you.

If you could PM it to me as well or just post it in the thread I'd really appreciate it. I'd love to have a good vindaloo recipe.

I currently have some chili on the stove using a couple pounds of chuck roast and a pound of venison with habanero, two dried indian peppers I can't identify, dried moritas, unsweetened bakers chocolate and chipotles in adobo and beans. This time I added coriander and a touch of cinnamon in addition to my cumin. I haven't made chili in over a month and I am way more excited than is probably reasonable to eat this tonight.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I've received so many PMs for my vindaloo recipe now that I'm just going to post it here. Consider it Goan style Chilli. If anyone gets their knickers in a knot over a vindaloo in the chilli thread I'll consider editing it out.

Vindaloo:

Vindaloo is properly made with pork, but you could do it with lamb or chicken if you wanted to. I use metric measurements for 1cup/1tablespoon/1teaspoon, you'll need to convert them.

Step 1: Blend the following ingredients in a blender or food processor to form a smooth paste. This paste can either be added to the pot during cooking, or you can marinate your meat in it first, then toss it in.

-small bunch coriander (cilantro)
-1 head of garlic (keep 4 cloves reserved for later, and use proper purple garlic, not that white poo poo that comes from china)
- piece of ginger, roughly thumb sized
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- half a teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons mustard seed oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (you can use jaggery to be more authentic (and also less healthy))
- 6 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar (strictly speaking, coconut vinegar is more Authentic, but I struggle to find it)
2 fresh birdseye chillis

Step 2: dry roast the following in a frypan, and then grind to a powder in a mortar and pestle

-2 teaspoons black peppercorns
-5 cloves
-2 teaspoons corriander seeds
-2 teaspoons cumin seeds
-1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
-2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
-20 dried kashmiri chillies

Step 3: Cooking the curry

Ingredients

-4 medium red onions, finely diced
-4 cloves garlic, minced (the ones left over from step 1)
-1kg diced pork shoulder (optional: marinade overnight in paste from step 1)
-5 fresh birdseye chillies, finely diced
-thumb sized piece of ginger, minced
(optional) 1 tin diced tomatoes (as I mentioned earlier, strictly speaking, it isn't a traditional ingredient, but as with making --chilli some people like to add it for extra umami goodness.) If you do decide to add tomatoes, be sure to pick a brand that has been imported from italy, these are guaranteed not to have added firming agents.
-1 cinnamon stick
-4 bay leaves
-1 small bunch coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
-mustard seed oil
-finger's width slice from a stick of butter

Cover the bottom of a large pot with mustard seed oil, and add in the butter. Once it gets hot, add in the spice powder from step 2, the cinnamon stick, and the bay leaves, and let it fry for a minute or so.

toss in the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli, and saute for a good 10 mins or so.(Indian cooking calls for onions to be browned further than you might typically brown them for)

add in the meat, and once it's browned pour in the remaining marinade (or if you didn't use the paste as a marinade, add it now). Add the tomatoes if you chose to use them, and a cup of water (or vegetable stock if you prefer)

Simmer gently for 3 hours, stirring periodically so that nothing catches on the bottom of the pot. add a touch of water if the sauce gets too thick, or keep the lid off to reduce the sauce down if it's too runny. Once you take it off the heat, stir the chopped coriander through. Serve with rice, naan and a good dollop of greek yoghurt.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Thanks, that sounds good. I'll have to try it next time a friend swing by for a movie night.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

Thanks, that sounds good. I'll have to try it next time a friend swing by for a movie night.

Bonus comedy option: Deny them beverages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

That would be for the best. The last time I made chili when he came by for a movie night, he wound up trashed on cold mulled cider with rum and spent an hour on my roof with an air rifle plinking a can across the yard. And then tried to get me to watch some anime about a Roman bath.