Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

The ER-1 doesn't have a flutter function though, does it? Because that is one fantastic feature.

That's right. They added flutter only recently to the iElectribe App.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

FLX posted:

Wow! I didn't know Werkbench "werked" like that! I guess I'll check it out as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pg1EIkCbVc&t=58s

I am a little late to the party on this but that Alesis iO dock like the one used in this video is pretty cool looking. There is no way in hell I would ever pay what they are asking for it though since it is basically useless if I buy a new iPad.

I have been looking for something for plugging my guitar and maybe my koassilator, but the cables you find seem to use the port so you can't charge or they use the 1/8" jack which seems limited.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

JHVH-1 posted:

I have been looking for something for plugging my guitar and maybe my koassilator, but the cables you find seem to use the port so you can't charge or they use the 1/8" jack which seems limited.

Do you need to charge all the time? The iPads have astonishingly good battery life even if you're running multiple music apps simultaneously.

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos
This might be slightly off-topic but is there an iOS multitrack recorder that has cross-compatibility with Android? A recorder without multitracking would suffice but I'd like to be able to send drum tracks to my guitar player, who is on Android. I understand that this would be an infinitely easier idea to carry out with two computers, but unfortunately, he doesn't own one.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Do you need to charge all the time? The iPads have astonishingly good battery life even if you're running multiple music apps simultaneously.

I guess not, but if you are in the middle of using it and your battery is low you either have to stop playing or risk running out of juice.

EDIT: I keep forgetting I own a Zoom H4N. I really should just get a USB adapter for my iOS devices and plug that in. Since it works as a USB audio interface that would work right?

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 22, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If i get the Thor app what options does it have for exporting stuff other than to reason (which I don't have)?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just got an iPad air, where are my best options for both a USB connection (can you use multiple?) and a 1/8" connection? I'm still looking over the options in the OP, both my wife and I are musical, and her old Mac mini is just too old to run more than 3 tracks simultaneously. I run Logic 9 on a Mac Pro, and have a Presonus Firestudio, but we'd really love something on-the-go.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I, uh, went a little nuts

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I, uh, went a little nuts

Now get Garageband and Audiobus.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I already have Garageband (it's free how could I not) and I'm saving Audiobus for the next time I've got some disposable cash (when I will also purchase the TNR-i and tenor-e apps at an exorbitant price and maybe the iKaossilator if I get a little frisky).

Touchpad synthesis is totally the way to go you guys :allears:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

how do i learn how to use all this crazy new fangled poo poo? im old as hell and don't know how to use any of this stuff properly and i want someone to hold my hand like a baby through some of it.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

nrr posted:

how do i learn how to use all this crazy new fangled poo poo? im old as hell and don't know how to use any of this stuff properly and i want someone to hold my hand like a baby through some of it.

Turn knobs bash on keyboard picture.

Jean Michel Jarre must be weeping knowing that all his hard work can be imitated by toddlers. My 20 month old nephew knows how to make patches in animoog ferchrissake.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
But really, is there a nice resource online or a dude that does step by steps for music productions on youtube or something with the help of these ios apps?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Odddzy posted:

But really, is there a nice resource online or a dude that does step by steps for music productions on youtube or something with the help of these ios apps?

DAW apps and the like are going to each be different in their functions, menus, and workflows; a guide to using one will largely not help in learning a different one; so hopping on youtube or google and searching for tutorials specific to that software is your best bet (try search terms like "garageband tutorial, etc), but for general synthesis questions, almost all synths work the same way (subtractive synthesis) and for those, you can start with the beginning of our own Laserjet 4P's "how do I maek noiz" megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2974992

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

I will also purchase the TNR-i and tenor-e apps
I don't think you'll need TNR-i if you buy TNR-e.

nrr posted:

Laserjet 4P's thread is an incredible resource! I've learned my synth basics there and it gave me a great start into a new hobby addiction. What do you want to do? There are tons of different Apps and things to do with them. Sample & loop audio, sequence instruments, build sounds, etc.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Alright,

Spoke to you guys a few pages back about recording some guitar/bass tracks into an iPad. Looks like I need the Apogee Jam device to interface with my iPad. I will also need to purchase Beat Maker 2 (or slum it with Garage Band?) to actually track the instrument. What I am not sure about is Audiobus and why I need it. Is it more or less an app that would, say, allow an iPad amp modeler to work with and record into Beat Maker 2? Basically if my amp doesn't have an Audio Out I'd have to record guitar into the iPad clean or use whatever effects Beat Maker 2 may or may not have included, and Audiobus would be a work around in allowing an iPad modeler app to work with Beat Maker 2?

If I have a solid modeling amp and can record into the iPad to Beat Maker 2 I wouldn't need Audiobus?

ed

And if I can't run my amp direct into Apogee Jam I could just mic the amp with a mic that has a 1/4 jack, yes?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 30, 2013

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Audiobus allows you to rout signal flow through your apps from one to another and thus use them together. Otherwise you're basically stuck using one at a time.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Is GarageBand generally considered to be "slumming it" ? I'm not seeing what beat maker offers over it when it comes to recording guitar.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

massive spider posted:

Is GarageBand generally considered to be "slumming it" ? I'm not seeing what beat maker offers over it when it comes to recording guitar.

If I can multitrack and mix with Garage band then that will do what I want.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So what are my options for audio or MIDI on an iPad Air? I only have the Camera Kit as of now.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I posted this in the Games Rocksmith thread, but I figured it's worth posting here, too. If you have one of the Rocksmith usb cable things, and one of the iPad camera connector usb adapters, you can use those two accessories to record audio into your iPad. I was all set to go out and by one of those $100 adapters, glad I tried all this stuff I already had sitting around first.

The rocksmith cable is about $30, though I couldn't say how the sound quality compared to the other options out there. It sounded great when I played my guitar through GarageBand and out of my nice sound system, anyways.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

So what are my options for audio or MIDI on an iPad Air? I only have the Camera Kit as of now.

Most class compliant MIDI USB controllers/keyboards should work. You might have to power them externally or with a powered USB hub though. Same with Audio Interfaces. Many interfaces also advertise iPad compatibility.

What exactly are you looking for?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Well I have an old H4 (+an SM58) that I'd like to use for recording vocals, a FastTrack Pro, an MAudio MIDI interface, an Axiom.

Through some combination, I'd ideally like to have vox effects through an iPod, while running MIDI-controlled apps through the iPad, and, if possible, chain the iPad's clock through to a drum machine. Failing that, I'd be happy tracking separately with vocal effects, then a MIDI-controlled app.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm looking to record some very lo-fi black metal on my iPad, but I really don't know where to start as far as DAWs go. For just sketching stuff out, I've been using Garage Band and DM1. I'm actually pretty pleased with Garageband for getting some nice gross hi-gain/reverbed guitar tones, but it's really not the most elegant solution for getting an organic feel to the drums or for mastering, (It would be nice to export to Logic for that, but I don't own a Mac and I'm not looking to buy one as a solution).

Before I start buying a bunch of apps I might not need, what would be the most useful for:

-recording/sequencing guitar input via audiobus
-producing/sequencing drum tracks with a semi-realistic to realistic drum sound (Are there any apps that have MIDI drums with editable sound? MIDI isn't necessary, but the flexibility would be nice)
-mixing/mastering audio (right now I'm fudging a lot of stuff running DM1 drums and vocals through guitar amps in Garageband for a lo-fi sound, but I'm sure there's a better approach)

edit: vvv thanks dude

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 5, 2014

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

dude ranch posted:

Before I start buying a bunch of apps I might not need, what would be the most useful for:

-recording/sequencing guitar input via audiobus
-producing/sequencing drum tracks with a semi-realistic to realistic drum sound (Are there any apps that have MIDI drums with editable sound? MIDI isn't necessary, but the flexibility would be nice)
-mixing/mastering audio (right now I'm fudging a lot of stuff running DM1 drums and vocals through guitar amps in Garageband for a lo-fi sound, but I'm sure there's a better approach)

For recording and sequencing, any of the main iOS DAWs would be suitable. Cubasis, BeatMaker 2, Auria, etc. They all have their own pros and cons.

Realistic drum tracks are best accomplished with BeatMaker 2. It has the best drum sampler of any iOS app, and its sequencer is pretty drat good too. Importing a high quality set of rock drum samples would be necessary.

That said, Cubasis can handle MIDI drum sequencing, too, it's just not as configurable as BM2. Auria doesn't do MIDI sequencing as of now.

As for mastering, the two best apps are Master Record and Audio Mastering, by the same developer. Master Record in particular can give your tracks a bit of old analogue sound.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Question: as an AudioBus user, is it safe to upgrade my iPod touch 5th gen to iOS7? I heard a recommendation not to update until about 7.1, and I want to make sure that still holds.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Update: I just picked up an iRig Pro, which does MIDI in and mic in simultaneously. Kneads my fits.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Update: I just picked up an iRig Pro, which does MIDI in and mic in simultaneously. Kneads my fits.

Is that the main difference between the iRig and iRig Pro? The midi stuff?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I believe so yeah. Well, that's the difference between the iRig Pro and the HD. The regular iRig goes through the headphone jack which can cause all sorts of problems

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
What's the consensus on Lemur? I've been eyeing it for a long time, but there are like no ratings and no reviews on the app store. Which is odd for a $50 app that is reportedly the best way to control Ableton, hands down.

Has anybody tried it with Live? I'm considering pulling the trigger because it's 50% off right now but have no idea what I'd be purchasing really. I already own Touchable and the newest updates really improved the app, though I don't use it that often. Is the upgrade to Lemur worth it?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, the one I got does Lightning too, for all your Air and Mini needs.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

bad day posted:

What's the consensus on Lemur? I've been eyeing it for a long time, but there are like no ratings and no reviews on the app store. Which is odd for a $50 app that is reportedly the best way to control Ableton, hands down.

Has anybody tried it with Live? I'm considering pulling the trigger because it's 50% off right now but have no idea what I'd be purchasing really. I already own Touchable and the newest updates really improved the app, though I don't use it that often. Is the upgrade to Lemur worth it?

Lemur is pretty great. You can do very simple things very quickly - creating some standard midi buttons and faders, poo poo like that. However, anything beyond that gets into scripting. The documentation, to me at least, reads like a medical textbook. Usually I'd just pop to YouTube to find some tutorials but those are also limited as the price keeps a lot of people away. You can dig into old Jazz Mutant forums (the company that originally made the hardware Lemur) but thats like jumping into a time machine to the dark ages of the internet. The best way to learn it is to download pre-created layouts (http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/) and reverse engineer them.

The learning curve is incredibly steep but if you can get your head around it, Lemur is awesome. Plus you look cool dicking with it. https://vimeo.com/4092372

Dubspot has one of the better overviews of the setup and basic fader control. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouTLi5SmMuw

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Is there any way to get iMPC and iMPC in Tabletop to talk to each other, i.e. use the same sounds library or do I have to manually transfer the libs with iTunes?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Is there any way to get iMPC and iMPC in Tabletop to talk to each other, i.e. use the same sounds library or do I have to manually transfer the libs with iTunes?

Manually transfer. Tabletop is a closed app and won't communicate with other apps, including the standalone versions of "Tabletop ready" apps.

Tabletop actually has the entire iMPC app built right into it. Tabletop just checks to see if you have the standalone iMPC app installed, and if you do, it lets you use the version included within Tabletop. This is why they don't share the same files.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah I understand, but for whatever reason, the Tabletop version of iMPC is more finicky than the standalone one with AudioCopy.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I bought DM1 in hopes of getting some good acoustic sounding drumkits for rock type stuff, but there's really only a couple that are useable. The rest are suited for electronic.

Are there any other apps that are compatible with Audiobus/Garage Band, that have good sounding acoustic kits?

Also, Garageband seems to do everything I need it to do, but I got some iTunes credit and was wondering if Nano Studio, FL Studio, Beatmaker 2, or any other multitrack app is better than GarageBand, while still being user friendly.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 13, 2014

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

I bought DM1 in hopes of getting some good acoustic sounding drumkits for rock type stuff, but there's really only a couple that are useable. The rest are suited for electronic.

Are there any other apps that are compatible with Audiobus/Garage Band, that have good sounding acoustic kits?

Also, Garageband seems to do everything I need it to do, but I got some iTunes credit and was wondering if Nano Studio, FL Studio, Beatmaker 2, or any other multitrack app is better than GarageBand, while still being user friendly.

You could always download some acoustic drum samples and use them in DM1 by importing them into the app via iTunes.

As for multitrack apps, Cubasis gets a lot of positive word due to its features and user friendliness. I use BeatMaker 2, but many people find its user interface finicky. I've been using it since it was released years ago, though, so I get along with it just fine.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Thanks for the idea. I'll import drum samples into DM1 and see what kind of beats I can get. Cubasis looks good, but i'm just on an iphone right now.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I bought 76 Synthesizer a while back for the heck of it and really dug the visual side of it as well as the sound, but kinda missed some features that would've made it more usable. I decided to shoot the developer guy an email and ask if he was still updating the synth and if I could expect to see the kinds of things I was missing, but since he didn't answer right away I kinda forgot about it... But now, a couple of weeks later he answered with a lengthy email, apologizing for the long delay, thanking me for the interest and support and giving detailed answers to all my questions. To top it off he added me to the list of people who'll get to test out the promo version of his new, very ambitious iPad synth that he's close to finishing!

What a cool dude, excited to see what that new synth'll be all about :)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is there an app that's similar to the drum machine that's built into Amplitube? I like being able to adjust the tempo and fills instead of messing with recorded drum tracks.

• Locked thread