Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It's a shame, too, because there was a bug that let you dupe items incredibly easy in Disgaea 4. It wouldn't solve all of the game's postgame problems (I decided the Land of Carnage is so hilariously impossible to access that it's just not worth the effort), but it's a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Wow, the final boss of Disgaea D2 seems legitimately hard compared to the final boss of all the other games. Is there a good way to defeat him without just cheese levelling my guys into the stratosphere (which I kind of hate doing to finish off final bosses in these games), because there doesn't seem to be a good way around him stealing 3% of my dudes stats as they get closer to him or whatever.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

goldjas posted:

Wow, the final boss of Disgaea D2 seems legitimately hard compared to the final boss of all the other games. Is there a good way to defeat him without just cheese levelling my guys into the stratosphere (which I kind of hate doing to finish off final bosses in these games), because there doesn't seem to be a good way around him stealing 3% of my dudes stats as they get closer to him or whatever.

It's more a mechanic to discourage you from stacking up an enormous crew directly around him.

Also, it's not a permanent thing - if you had a bunch of dudes around him who die, it'll go back to its normal stats. It also really helps to have one dude who is your most powerful, keep him relatively far away, and make sure he doesn't die.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Weren't people complaining that the best way to beat that boss was to send your guys after him 1 by 1 like the bad guys in a movie?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Weren't people complaining that the best way to beat that boss was to send your guys after him 1 by 1 like the bad guys in a movie?

I think I did with 1 really strong guy, 1 insanely beefy guy, and a healer. I made sure to spread my guys so that the boss could hit either the beefy guy or my power hitter, but not both. Took some finesse, and paying a lot of attention to his attack range / pattern.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I had a leveled-up Armor Knight with the Defender Evility. I had her sit around by the base panel defending while a healer kept her topped up. I spread out a couple casters and people using long-distance attacks in a circle around the boss so it could only hit about one unit at a time, which the Armor Knight would tank. The combo bonus is helpful if you can get several attacks in at once.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I used the old "sacrifice one guy at the end of each turn lifting the boss so he never gets a chance to attack" trick.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
I've been reading up on D3 postgame stuff a bit and noticed Majin's Violence evility mentioned a lot. I've been wondering if it's something I'll need, period, to do all the postgame stuff, or more of a "get this if you want to break damage records" thing? (Better to know that now than figure out that I need to do a NG+ somewhere halfway through)

Oh and that D4 postgame stuff is indeed really, really dumb. Hopefully it gets fixed somehow for Vita release.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I never bothered picking up Violence, honestly. It obviously helps, especially since the experience penalty doesn't outright halve the experience bonuses from Geo Panels and Statisticians IIRC, but it's not too hard to do good damage since skill boosting is so broken. I actually ended up one-shotting Baal without even trying with the Rank 39 gun I leveled to get the Rank 40. I think I had some cloned weapon mastery innocents on it, but still.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Does Zetta in D4 really not gain any weapon skill exp :psyduck:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's a bug, one of the patches fixes it I think, but you don't want to patch D4 so yeah. Don't use him I guess.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's a bug, one of the patches fixes it I think, but you don't want to patch D4 so yeah. Don't use him I guess.

Why don't we want to patch d4?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Kharmakazy posted:

Why don't we want to patch d4?

It removes a bug that makes duping easy, which means drastically speeding up an otherwise obscenely long and frustrating reset-loop grind.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
I decided to pick D3 on the Vita and the one change I like the most is the innocent storage. So much easier to manage them now. Also is duping with the PPS faster on the Vita version or have I just been really lucky?

bigmandan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 24, 2013

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013
Just grabbed D2 off of the PSN, at what point should I reincarnate my guys? Cause I reincarnated my Red Skull into a Crystal Skull at lvl 20, and it's so tough to get him back up, and now he misses all the time, so now I'm somewhat leery of reincarnating.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Do you mean Disgaea 2, or Disgaea D2? Because you shouldn't be promoting in the latter game at all since Promotion does the same thing for maingame purposes. In any case, you can use tower attacks to feed kills to underleveled units, and fix hit problems with glasses.

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Do you mean Disgaea 2, or Disgaea D2? Because you shouldn't be promoting in the latter game at all since Promotion does the same thing for maingame purposes. In any case, you can use tower attacks to feed kills to underleveled units, and fix hit problems with glasses.

I meant Disgaea 2 cursed Memories, so will glasses improve a Red Skulls hit rate with Magic though? Also, Tower attacking, what's that all about? I'm starting Chapter 9 I think, and I haven't seen anything about tower attacking. Also, is there a way to see what level a character really is? I mean after I reincarnate one, he becomes level one but not really right?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Glasses boost HIT, which is the stat you need to hit with stuff besides status ailments. It normally doesn't matter much against non-fist enemies, but since weapons besides guns and bows don't boost it, so it's the stat you miss the most when releveling post-reincarnating. If you lift an ally unit up, you can attack with both of those units, and each gets experience even if one of them whiffs completely. It's not mentioned in the tutorial, but a lot of important poo poo is honestly glossed over unless you read the ingame Help section. Even if you got all the way to Baal in Disgaea 1 I'd advise flipping though it for some of the changes.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

SageSepthAtWork posted:

I meant Disgaea 2 cursed Memories, so will glasses improve a Red Skulls hit rate with Magic though? Also, Tower attacking, what's that all about? I'm starting Chapter 9 I think, and I haven't seen anything about tower attacking. Also, is there a way to see what level a character really is? I mean after I reincarnate one, he becomes level one but not really right?

Adding to what LC said;

Every level you gain gives you roughly half of your base stats; so a level 3 has double their level 1 stats, level 5 has triple, etc. One character might have three times the base stats of another, which means he'd be roughly equivalent at creation to the other character's level 5; but he's still level 1. The only way to see 'what level a character really is' is to just look at their stats and judge.

As for reincarnation, I would advise to reincarnate as soon as you have strong enough equipment and a reasonable method to get them back up to speed quickly. If you can't get them back up to where they were fairly fast, there isn't much point. I'd also add don't bother reincarnating unless you're at least double the levels of your last reincarnation, but that's just a recommendation. Exception with that is for story characters which I think get the +5% aptitude bonus for each reincarnation up to 5, not 100% sure if that's there in D2 though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'll add that it's also not much worth reincarnating if you can't do it at a decent tier, unless it's really really early on before you've made any progress on weapon levels. Losing your weapon levels means learning skills even slower, and losing skill experience isn't so important except for mages, whose range and area of effect options rely on their spells.

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

I'll add that it's also not much worth reincarnating if you can't do it at a decent tier, unless it's really really early on before you've made any progress on weapon levels. Losing your weapon levels means learning skills even slower, and losing skill experience isn't so important except for mages, whose range and area of effect options rely on their spells.

Yeah this was the biggest thing I've noticed, the smaller range. So lemme ask you guys this, if I put like 7 dudes in a "tower" they all get xp? Also does the range increase? I'd check but I'm at work. Also, lemme ask you this, when you get bonus XP from a map, everyone gets that right? But they all have to be on the board or just everyone gets it?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Seven people in a tower does increase the range, and they all get experience, but I'm pretty sure the tower experience is divided evenly, so it's best to just have a strong unit pick up the one you're trying to level. The bonus experience is allocated to everyone on the field, yeah.

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Seven people in a tower does increase the range, and they all get experience, but I'm pretty sure the tower experience is divided evenly, so it's best to just have a strong unit pick up the one you're trying to level. The bonus experience is allocated to everyone on the field, yeah.

Alright cool, thanks guys, I appreciate it

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Bit of trivia - looks like Rutile's innate evility is a bit bugged (in a good way): while grinding her up on poor, poor shrooms on 7-3 I noticed that her stats increase when adjacent to them, even though it is supposed to work only for adjacent allies.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Do you have to get the P Flonzor Body part from killing the Meowkins and not Disciplining them? Because if so :suicide:

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
I just found out in D3 Vita you can max out an item, regardless of rarity, just by killing the item god over and over again. You have to save up a lot of gency exits though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bigmandan posted:

I just found out in D3 Vita you can max out an item, regardless of rarity, just by killing the item god over and over again. You have to save up a lot of gency exits though.

Wait, what? So you.. kill the Item God, Gency out without clearing the stage, then repeat?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Didn't 4 have the same thing in it?

Also, hit the post-game of Disgaea D2. Power-leveling like a fool.

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013

Sonata Mused posted:

Didn't 4 have the same thing in it?

Also, hit the post-game of Disgaea D2. Power-leveling like a fool.

I just started doing the same thing, hey question, How come I can't access Dark World, none of the switches are where they belong? I reincarned everyone and am moving them back through the story, but I would've rather just gone through Dark World.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Are you referring to Disgaea 2's Dark World? If you actually went back and did another cycle through the game (as in re-doing everything from scratch), you will have to re-unlock everything again.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
FYI, the Rasberyl DLC is currently free on PSN.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Kris xK posted:

FYI, the Rasberyl DLC is currently free on PSN.

Thanks for the heads up, Ill grab this after work.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Put about 10 hours into D2 so far and this is the best (mechanically) Disgaea game ever, in my opinion. Being able to switch masters and pupils on the fly, promotion without reincarnation for generics, the entire monster mount system, the cheat shop, and being able to pay your way out of Dark Assembly bills are all amazing, among others. However, I do have one question. About how long should it take for the Demon Dojo to level up? I'm mid Chapter 4 and have done probably 200 floors of Item Sea and some tutorial-map grinding. It says it will level up after some battles, when can I expect that?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

projecthalaxy posted:

About how long should it take for the Demon Dojo to level up? I'm mid Chapter 4 and have done probably 200 floors of Item Sea and some tutorial-map grinding. It says it will level up after some battles, when can I expect that?

I got my first training class level-up in the Dojo after I finished the main story. I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 map clears with a person out? Either way, if you have someone in, say, Kata Practice (the Atk one, right?) and they are deployed on the map when the map is cleared, that counts as one point towards leveling up the Dojo class. Just keep deploying the people who are in the class you want to level up. As the Dojo classes level up, you can fit more people in them, and the classes will consequently level up more quickly. :)

Edited to try to be more clear.

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 9, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So Dimension 2 is pretty well received, yeah? I got really soured on Disgaea 3, and never even attempted 4.

Just make me a Phantom Brave 2 please.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Harlock posted:

So Dimension 2 is pretty well received, yeah? I got really soured on Disgaea 3, and never even attempted 4.

Just make me a Phantom Brave 2 please.

I didn't enjoy 3 much either but thought 4 was excellent. As for Dimension 2 the gameplay is great and more user friendly than before but so far (I think I'm about halfway through) the story and characters aren't as much fun as Disgaea 4 or the original.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm mid Chapter 4 and have done probably 200 floors of Item Sea and some tutorial-map grinding. It says it will level up after some battles, when can I expect that?

Clearing item sea floors by hitting the exit will not count for levelling up dojo bonuses. I'm not sure whether actually clearing all the enemies does or not, but if you're rushing floors that won't get you anywhere dojo-wise.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thanks, I guess I'll keep plugging away. Also the random name generator for this is pretty great and I think the name field got bigger, so my two main generics are Professor Judo Chop the Skull and Impossibly Tuesday the Warrior.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

A tip for those of you playing D2: Casters are pretty much the best in the game, I've found. The leveling maps later also seem to favor casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Sonata Mused posted:

A tip for those of you playing D2: Casters are pretty much the best in the game, I've found. The leveling maps later also seem to favor casters.

Star Magic is extremely difficult to compete with, simply because it gets range, area of effect, and you don't have to sweat resistances at all. Comedy options include teaching Petta "Magic Boost" and parking her next to your caster, and/or putting the Evility "Corpse Devourer" on your caster. :)

There are a few useful skills outside of magic, though. There's a Spear skill that hits five or six tiles in a straight line, which you can't do with any magic spell, and Dimension Slash hits a unique area... but for the most part, casters are very very good.

• Locked thread