Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's right, Optimus suicides over killing imaginary bean men.

Seeing the pictures in context, it's not as dumb as I was lead to believe. After all, the bean men are screaming for their lives.
Secondly as a giant robot, Optimus definition of life I guess expands to other electronic beings. Even scrubs in computer games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

It's probably been said before, but whoever writes the Transformers wiki needs to be put in charge of Wikipedia. They've got the right attitude.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
From Marvel Adventures: The Avengers #3. Earth's mightiest heroes watch WW2 footage of Captain America in action.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Secondly as a giant robot, Optimus definition of life I guess expands to other electronic beings. Even scrubs in computer games.
Good answer! Good answer!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

From Marvel Adventures: The Avengers #3. Earth's mightiest heroes watch WW2 footage of Captain America in action.

1) I wish Todd Nuack had drawn those pages. He would have been contractually obliged to sneak in a Tom Servo and Crow cameo in.

2) Did Storm just steal Warbird's costume?

Awesome panels otherwise.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It looks to me like she stole Ms Marvel's...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

It's probably been said before, but whoever writes the Transformers wiki needs to be put in charge of Wikipedia. They've got the right attitude.

That'd be webcartoonist David Wilis. Not that he writes everything in the TF wiki, just huge swathes of it, and he was largely responsible for its initial tone.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Elfface posted:

It looks to me like she stole Ms Marvel's...

Actually, I think it was Binary's.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Practical Demon posted:

Actually, I think it was Binary's.

What are you talking about? That's Carol Danvers' old costume.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Clearly the real victim here is Rogue, as Storm is stealing her gimmick.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

What are you talking about? That's Carol Danvers' old costume.

As far as I see it, when I think of Ms Marvel, I see her in the red costume.
When I hear Captain Marvel I think of her in her current outfit.
When I hear Binary or Warbird, I see the Black costume with the Samus Aran symbol. And sometimes the outfit with the Hockey Pads.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

The Question IRL posted:

Seeing the pictures in context, it's not as dumb as I was lead to believe. After all, the bean men are screaming for their lives. Secondly as a giant robot, Optimus definition of life I guess expands to other electronic beings. Even scrubs in computer games.
No, it's pretty dumb + it's a bad comic. I don't remember if the blonde kid knows about the cheat code, but even if he doesn't there's at least someone should ask the valid question how Megatron could reverse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

As far as I see it, when I think of Ms Marvel, I see her in the red costume.
When I hear Captain Marvel I think of her in her current outfit.
When I hear Binary or Warbird, I see the Black costume with the Samus Aran symbol. And sometimes the outfit with the Hockey Pads.

Ms Marvel red costume?

Captain Marvel?

Warbird?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Schneider Heim posted:

Wait, why is Storm wearing Carol's old Warbird bikini? That's what I get for not refreshing :doh:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cap onstage almost looks like he trying to do a 'Liefeld chest' pose.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
From Wonder Woman #9:

Context: Orion's been giving Diana and all the women around her poo poo, and this is how she finally shuts him up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought it was Guy Gardner :shobon:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I thought it was Maxwell Lord :haw:

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Not only should that be posted in the Badass thread, but probably also the This Character in Panel(s) thread as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

I thought it was Guy Gardner :shobon:

Fun Fact: That was actually going to happen somewhere around the time of Emerald Twilight. Editorial lined things up to put Guy and Diana together until John Byrne took over WW and squashed the whole thing.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Knormal posted:

Well if we're going into extended media even the coloring books got pretty dark.

Transformers: The Autobot Smasher #1, sadly never collected in a TPB.

He got better, thanks to Ratchet's body massage skills.

I had this as a kid. Thanks for the nostalgia.

Transformers also had an issue where two robots went around as pretenders and one of them had the chance to have sex but didn't.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I had this as a kid. Thanks for the nostalgia.

Transformers also had an issue where two robots went around as pretenders and one of them had the chance to have sex but didn't.

The robot, Cloudburst, is the one on the left.

The Transformers (Marvel US) #53

edit: This one is from #80, where a mind-controlling mutant makes a robot man fantasize about robot women.

That robot, by the way, must have one of the greatest Transformers toys ever:

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Marvel does not loving forgive dragons.

Sterling Morris knows how to handle that poo poo though

The Marvel Family #70

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 9, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That 'yaaaaay' just slays me. And the dragon too I guess.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's... deeply dark and disturbing. What the hell.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Who the gently caress goes yaaay while killing dragons? Anyways here's a funny moment from Cataclysm #3. As you may know, Galactus is in the Ultimate universe and is about toe destroy the Earth. Ultimate Spidey and Evil Reed Richards end up traveling to 616 to find information on how to stop Galactus. They manage to find it (in the Baxter building) but Valeria catches them in the act and activates the building's defense mechanisms/herbies. Miles attempts to escape:

And there's you're Spider-Men reunion :lol:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Short of Transformers: Action Masters*, Pretenders are the worst gimmick. The toys are lame, the gimmick is dumb and the way they were introduced in the comic makes no sense. The one interesting thing about them - how the personalities of the Pretender shell and robot sometimes differed - was never touched upon in the comic.

*"Action Masters" are Transformers that don't transform. It hinged entirely on that people would buy "Optimus Prime" et.c. that didn't transform just based on brand recognition.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Who the gently caress goes yaaay while killing dragons? Anyways here's a funny moment from Cataclysm #3. As you may know, Galactus is in the Ultimate universe and is about toe destroy the Earth. Ultimate Spidey and Evil Reed Richards end up traveling to 616 to find information on how to stop Galactus. They manage to find it (in the Baxter building) but Valeria catches them in the act and activates the building's defense mechanisms/herbies. Miles attempts to escape:

And there's you're Spider-Men reunion :lol:

The best part of all that is Spock's costume is a giant gently caress you to Ben Reilly and Miles by basically combining their costumes into one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

The best part of all that is Spock's costume is a giant gently caress you to Ben Reilly and Miles by basically combining their costumes into one.

No, it's the unused Alex Ross-designed film costume.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

No, it's the unused Alex Ross-designed film costume.

Which is funny because it kind of implies that the Ross design is so off the mark that it only works on a supervillain.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
You have a weird definition of super villain.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Senor Candle posted:

Doctor Octopus doesn't fit the bill?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Marvel, getting better about queer characters:

Young Avengers 15.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Short of Transformers: Action Masters*, Pretenders are the worst gimmick.

Yeah, I'm not sure why somebody thought disguising a robot as a 30' tall human was a useful idea in any sense. Well, save to romance giant alien warrior women on the planet of Femax, thanks, Transformers comic (#53).

Some guy called Jim Lee did the cover, I hear he's the co-publisher of DC Comics, now.

:doh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

The guy murdered Peter and stole his body and is now pretending to be him.

That's not a super villain?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Cabbit posted:

Marvel, getting better about queer characters:

Young Avengers 15.

I'm kind of confused, why did the one character suddenly kick a pane of glass?

The joke about the Kree Exploratory vessel is pretty fantastic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

robziel posted:

I'm kind of confused, why did the one character suddenly kick a pane of glass?

The joke about the Kree Exploratory vessel is pretty fantastic.

Her powers involve traveling between dimensions and that's how she accesses them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, two panels was all it took to remind me why it ended when it did. YA really was a story that either hit with you or never would.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rhyno posted:

Her powers involve traveling between dimensions and that's how she accesses them.

To be more specific, a giant white star appears and she shatters it to create a portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Telling someone they're wrong about their orientation is kinda lovely, if I'm reading that right.

• Locked thread