Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sing this Corrosion
Dec 27, 2007

THINK OF THEM AS LITTLE HORSES
I just installed the latest nightly of CM11 on my galaxy s3, and I've got a weird problem - whenever I set the phone flat on the table, it makes a noise, like a notification but it's a different sound. Is this something normal?
I had cm11 on it before but it was based on 4.2 rather than 4.4, I think. None of my apps have changed, so I'm fairly sure it isn't one of them, and I've turned off all of the ones that seemed like they might be doing it, to no avail.

Does anyone know how to turn this stupid feature off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

THF13 posted:

Start from official stock 4.2.2 camera update

Consensus is that if I already installed the OTA, I'm boned until someone devises a true root method for 4.4, right?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I've been running CM11 nightlies on my Sprint SG3 with pretty good results thus far (battery life is comparable to 10.2 RC), but I recently had a few reboots that I wasn't too happy about and wanted to revert to the latest M2 snapshot build. Can I wipe cache/dalvik and dirty flash over it? I am really not interested in re-installing everything...

Also, is there some sort of radio flash I can do to fix the drat auto-connect to the wifi hotspots? Ever since I flashed CM10.2 my phone will not auto-connect to wifi APs when in range, I need to cycle airplane mode to have it recognize them.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

bam thwok posted:

Consensus is that if I already installed the OTA, I'm boned until someone devises a true root method for 4.4, right?
For the Maxx/Ultra/Mini yes, the Moto X can roll back to the 4.2.2 update though.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

THF13 posted:

For the Maxx/Ultra/Mini yes, the Moto X can roll back to the 4.2.2 update though.

I'm not quite ready to root my MAXX, is there something I can do to prevent the OTA before I go ahead with root?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

NewcastleBrown posted:

I'm not quite ready to root my MAXX, is there something I can do to prevent the OTA before I go ahead with root?

The only way I know how to stop the OTA check actually requires root (freeze MotorolaOTA 1.0 and Updater 1.0 with titanium backup). When you get the OTA it will ask you if you want to install it, it won't just apply it automatically at least.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone running CM 11 tried using ART yet? I can't tell if their warning is legitimate or just meant to cover their asses. While I was on stock KK on my Nexus 4, I ran ART without encountering any problematic programs, so that much should be fine.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

hooah posted:

Anyone running CM 11 tried using ART yet? I can't tell if their warning is legitimate or just meant to cover their asses. While I was on stock KK on my Nexus 4, I ran ART without encountering any problematic programs, so that much should be fine.

I've been using CM11 M2 (and PA GApps) with ART for a few days now on my Nexus 5 and haven't noticed any problems at all.

tray
Nov 24, 2006

nice to meet you!
Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a Nexus 5 ROM. I used carbon on my Galaxy Nexus but I don't think they've released anything for the nexus 5 yet. I'm using a CM 11 nightly and its pretty cool but the camera isn't the stock kit kat one and there's a couple other weird things about it. Love the phone though, excited to see where the Android scene goes from here, a lot of really cool stuff is happening.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tray posted:

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a Nexus 5 ROM. I used carbon on my Galaxy Nexus but I don't think they've released anything for the nexus 5 yet. I'm using a CM 11 nightly and its pretty cool but the camera isn't the stock kit kat one and there's a couple other weird things about it. Love the phone though, excited to see where the Android scene goes from here, a lot of really cool stuff is happening.
You know you can flash the stock Nexus 5 Photosphere camera, right?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

tray posted:

Cataclysm. Stock but adds a bunch of useful features.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

grack posted:

Cataclysm. Stock but adds a bunch of useful features.
This looks nice. Does it have a Quick Settings tile for screen timeout (preferably configurable to 30s/2m/5m)?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have a Samsung galaxy s4 stock that I want to install kitkat on to try out. How do I backup my phone in case I want to restore to stock and then how do I download kitkat when I'm on a rogers phone? I'm trying to Google it but it's really sketchy.

tray
Nov 24, 2006

nice to meet you!
Thanks guys. The photosphere camera, I can just flash that like any other zip right? When I get home I'm gonna download cataclysm.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tray posted:

Thanks guys. The photosphere camera, I can just flash that like any other zip right? When I get home I'm gonna download cataclysm.
Yep. It's located here. Be sure to download the correct version from January 2nd.

tray
Nov 24, 2006

nice to meet you!
Cool thanks. Is that dialer that's on that page the special kit kat dialer that searches nearby businesses? Looks like that's missing from this ROM too

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tray posted:

Cool thanks. Is that dialer that's on that page the special kit kat dialer that searches nearby businesses? Looks like that's missing from this ROM too
That breaks in CM.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

LastInLine posted:

That breaks in CM.

I installed the Google Dialer from PA GApps on my Nexus 5 running CM 11 M2 and it works fine. PA GApps also gave me the photosphere/hdr+ camera.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm using the Nexus 5 kitkat dialer in CM on my Nexus 5 without issues.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
If you're using the Dialer addon, make sure that your ROM is completely setup otherwise before flashing it, or you'll get force closes. If you follow that instruction, which is listed on the PA GApps post, you shouldn't have problems.

If you use the dialer on a phone that IS NOT the Nexus 5, there ARE problems and your mileage may very.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I'm running CM 10.2 on my Sprint S4 and I was wanting to jump on KitKat. Should I just install CM11+GAPPS right over? Samsung released 2 updates since I rooted and went the CM way, should I be installing those firmware/modem bits ripped from the official updates that get posted on XDA? It always seemed dangerous but I can't help thinking it may speed things up a little (I've noticed that my gf's completely stock S4 seems to get better network speeds on 3G and LTE). Getting any info in what exactly individual firmware/modem updates do from XDA is a laughable effort so I was hoping for a helpful goon on the topic.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

So I've just decided I want to root my note 2. I went to look through the thread and it's 422 pages long at this point. I have reached page 100 without much information.

Now, I have never rooted an android before. Is there a guide here in this thread on how to root my note 2? The impression I get is that it's kind of complicated, to say the least.

EDIT: I've just realized that was a lot of words without much useful information.

I'm running a sprint SPH-L900 stock updated to android 4.3.

Edit 2: I've run Odin and got supersu installed, but Knox seems to be proving hard to get around.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 11, 2014

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So had a problem with my usb cables, got some new ones from amazon today. Got TWRP installed and installed Cromi-X installed and it booted up just fine.

Restarted a few hours later and now I'm stuck at the loading screen. I an unsure what to do.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 11, 2014

tray
Nov 24, 2006

nice to meet you!
Downloading Cataclysm now. Looks like Gapps is packaged with it? Never seen that before unless it was stock, its kind of cool.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tray posted:

Downloading Cataclysm now. Looks like Gapps is packaged with it? Never seen that before unless it was stock, its kind of cool.
Would you mind reporting back on my question here:

LastInLine posted:

This looks nice. Does it have a Quick Settings tile for screen timeout (preferably configurable to 30s/2m/5m)?
?

tray
Nov 24, 2006

nice to meet you!

LastInLine posted:

Would you mind reporting back on my question here:
?

Yeah it's flashing now, I'll edit this post in 15 minutes

edit; theres a "Screen Suspend" toggle but it only lets you switch between automatic and always on.

tray fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 11, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tray posted:

Yeah it's flashing now, I'll edit this post in 15 minutes

edit; theres a "Screen Suspend" toggle but it only lets you switch between automatic and always on.
Thanks.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
I flashed CM 11 M1 to my nexus 5 back in december. I see they now have M2 but I can't find the download link for Nexus 5. Am I going crazy?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Spekkio posted:

I flashed CM 11 M1 to my nexus 5 back in december. I see they now have M2 but I can't find the download link for Nexus 5. Am I going crazy?
Yes, you are.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

Thanks. I was filtering to 'all' and searching 'nexus 5'.. Didn't think to search 'hammerhead'.

Next question - do i need to wipe my phone if upgrading from M1 to M2?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Spekkio posted:

Thanks. I was filtering to 'all' and searching 'nexus 5'.. Didn't think to search 'hammerhead'.

Next question - do i need to wipe my phone if upgrading from M1 to M2?
No, just flash right over top. You might want to make a backup in recovery first but it likely won't be necessary.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just so I'm clear:

If I'm about to flash a new nightly of AOKP, all I have to do is wipe Dalvik and Cache, right? (And to be safe, make a full backup.)

It won't erase any app data, and I won't have to re-flash G-Apps, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just so I'm clear:

If I'm about to flash a new nightly of AOKP, all I have to do is wipe Dalvik and Cache, right? (And to be safe, make a full backup.)

It won't erase any app data, and I won't have to re-flash G-Apps, right?
Assuming it's just like CM you don't have to wipe anything, just flash right over. The Dalvik and cache are automatically invalidated and rebuilt so there's no reason to wipe those manually.

Do not reflash GApps, they're preserved by the backup scripts in /system/addon.d.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LastInLine posted:

Assuming it's just like CM you don't have to wipe anything, just flash right over. The Dalvik and cache are automatically invalidated and rebuilt so there's no reason to wipe those manually.

Do not reflash GApps, they're preserved by the backup scripts in /system/addon.d.

Cool, thanks.

I hope I have the right ROM version...I have the Dev Edition of the One, so I'm using the ROM for the "International" version...it's worked fine so far, a few random reboots (less than 1/day,) but now I'm wondering if I should use the AT&T version...

And if I should use that one, would THAT require a full wipe and install, or can the new AT&T Nightly be flashed over the International Nightly I currently have?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Cool, thanks.

I hope I have the right ROM version...I have the Dev Edition of the One, so I'm using the ROM for the "International" version...it's worked fine so far, a few random reboots (less than 1/day,) but now I'm wondering if I should use the AT&T version...

And if I should use that one, would THAT require a full wipe and install, or can the new AT&T Nightly be flashed over the International Nightly I currently have?
I'm a Nexus user, I don't have the slightest clue about variants in the One. Given that CM just went to a unified distribution for all Ones, I'd assume there isn't much difference and I wouldn't wipe unless changing over caused issues.

Always make a backup first though and again, it's all speculation on my part. Good luck.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit: Disregard, got it figured out.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 17, 2014

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

So I've found this page, and it says I need some basic knowledge in some things I don't have basic knowledge in, then conviniently doesn't point me to where I can get the help I need.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2498850

I have a basic understanding of how odin works, what I need help with is creating a custom firmware.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I broke some core Android service updating from CM11 M2 to the latest nightly, but managed to get Titanium Backup to back everything up prior to wiping everything and starting over from scratch. I paid for the full version of Titanium Backup and turned on Google Drive support.. and forgot to sync my backups to Google Drive before I wiped the phone, so I ended up losing all my data anyway. Well, I probably won't make that mistake again at least. :suicide:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I've found this tutorial http://androidflagship.com/3291-universal-root-galaxy-s4-s3-note-3-note-2 but when I get to this point

quote:

Create a FULL modified firmware file by tapping the command ‘urdlv full C:\I9505XXUEMJ5_I9505OXAEMJ5_I9505XXUEMJ5_HOME.tar.md5’ in command prompt window and hitting ‘Enter‘;
After “urdlv full”, you must insert the path to location of the firmware file saved on your PC;
After you hit Enter, a new command window will show you progress of the file creation;

the only result I get are varying errors ("URDLV is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file," and when I put the whole line in quotes "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.") and no new firmware.

At this point, I don't care about tripping knox, voiding warranties, or any of that. I just want root access to my phone. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How do ROM makers get away with including full, paid versions of software in their ROMs? The ROM I got from XDA for my TF700T had the full version of Titanium backup. I own the app myself, but I know that it came from the ROM because I did a full wipe and didn't login into my google account until two days after installing the ROM.