Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
God drat it why aren't they making a hundred more Young Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Better to burn brightly than to fade away, man.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

How is/was John Layman's run on Detective Comics? I'm a huge Chew fan so I was pretty interested when I heard he'd be taking over that book, but then I never heard anything else about it.
Man, I really wanted to love it but it was so, so pedestrian and well, dull. What I read was nowhere near the quality of his Chew output. I say don't bother.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
My god, issue #11 of Batman is beautiful. Excuse me if this comes off as hyperbole but that was Morrison-levels of good Batman writing. The build up with Lincoln March dragging Bruce through Gotham and explaining how he envisaged the city and the final few pages between Bruce and Dick Grayson. Just loving beautiful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

redbackground posted:

Man, I really wanted to love it but it was so, so pedestrian and well, dull. What I read was nowhere near the quality of his Chew output. I say don't bother.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of from the lack of hearing anything about it. I'll still probably read it if my library gets a copy but I'll keep my expectations tempered. A shame, as Chew is really one of my favorite comics of the past several years.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah that's what I was afraid of from the lack of hearing anything about it. I'll still probably read it if my library gets a copy but I'll keep my expectations tempered. A shame, as Chew is really one of my favorite comics of the past several years.
Amen. Layman's Tec had none of that spark for whatever reason.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.

CapnAndy posted:

God drat it why aren't they making a hundred more Young Avengers.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Better to burn brightly than to fade away, man.

I feel the same way, and drat if this ending wasn't a great sendoff. I know people have been hot and cold on this series, and it's not crazy JiM ending, but I thought it was a really cool ride, and I'll be sad to see my favorite team probably fade into obscurity again.

On the plus side Gillen is doing some cool Image stuff, and Phonogram vol 3 should be out sometime? This year? Maybe?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

gogisha posted:

I feel the same way, and drat if this ending wasn't a great sendoff. I know people have been hot and cold on this series, and it's not crazy JiM ending, but I thought it was a really cool ride, and I'll be sad to see my favorite team probably fade into obscurity again.

On the plus side Gillen is doing some cool Image stuff, and Phonogram vol 3 should be out sometime? This year? Maybe?

Hey, this series ending on a definitive note is a million times better than how Allan Heinberg left the book the last couple times. And in a year or two when someone pitches a great Young Avengers story, you'll be happy to see these characters again.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.

Sigma posted:

Hey, this series ending on a definitive note is a million times better than how Allan Heinberg left the book the last couple times. And in a year or two when someone pitches a great Young Avengers story, you'll be happy to see these characters again.

Definitely, anything to avoid another Children's Crusade. But yeah, I like the idea of different creators coming along, and doing kinda short runs with the characters. It'd actually be a kinda neat direction for a lot of the lesser known characters I think. Something to look forward to. :unsmith:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gogisha posted:

He's also working with Andy Lanning on a mini-event which has Captain Britain and Pete Wisdom teaming up with the old Marvel UK line from the 1990s.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Image Expo is today so i'd say Phonogram has gotta get a date out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Wikipedia page for Uncanny Avengers sure is dry:

Havok's speech in #5 in which he rejected his mutant identity because it represented everything he hates, and Remender's response to detractors to "drown yourself [in] hobo piss," caused some controversy.[12][13]

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

There is always Tarot. Or those Brothers Grimm comics I see at the LCBS that seem...interesting...?

Holy poo poo let me tell you about Grimm Fairy Tales. You look at those books and you think "Wow, I bet those books are garbage and the only reason nerds buy them is to jack off", don't you? You'd be wrong. I read a couple of them once because I believe in hating things right and it's like the least cheesecake poo poo ever, on top of being a bland garbage bullshit book. The only tits are on the front cover. There is literally no reason to ever read those comics, gently caress Zenescope forever.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

If you're keeping up with the Image Expo you can see Image basically murder the competition in real time.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Waterhaul posted:

If you're keeping up with the Image Expo you can see Image basically murder the competition in real time.

Bitch Planet is a day one purchase almost on name alone, the concept and creative is just icing on the cake.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

RevKrule posted:

Bitch Planet is a day one purchase almost on name alone, the concept and creative is just icing on the cake.

And it's not even the tip of what was announced.

New Gillen/McKelvie book.
Morrison/Burnham
Fraction bringing Casanova back to Image.
SNYDER/JOCK
Graham/Rios and a murder row of artists.
BITCH.PLANET.
Remender/Tocchini
More Brubaker and Phillips.

And a poo poo load more

This is a gonna be a good year for comics.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"Sean [Phillips] and I are doing a five-year deal with Image where basically we can do whatever we want, and they have to publish it," Brubaker says.

Hell yes? Hell yes. Hell, yes!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wow. Vertigo can't be too happy about a Snyder creator owned going to Image.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Once Fables ends Vertigo is dead.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Vertigo's been swirling for a while now. I'm kinda surprised Carey/Gross haven't jumped to something else yet. I know Carey has Suicide Risk (highly underrated) on Boom but if they took something to Image, it would be a killing blow.

Snyder and Jock at Image on a project makes my panties all moist. Snyder's done some great creator owned stuff (Severed still creeps the poo poo out of me) and I hope a reduction of editorial interference and pairing back with Jock brings back some of that amazing Detective Comics magic.

Also, a lot of people hated Tocchini on Uncanny X-Force but he knocked it out of the park with Last Days of American Crime with Remender, so I'm really excited for their new project too.

On the whole, there's nary a comic here I don't want to get.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 9, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Vertigo has neither Karen Berger or Marc Doyle. It's beyond dead.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's still more respectable and reliable than DC proper, at least.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well yeah but that's not hard. I guess it could be worse, Vertigo could be Icon.

Also it's crazy to note that on top of all of that Image stuff is the likes of the return of Stray Bullets, end of Prophet and all the good books they're still publishing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Vertigo has neither Karen Berger or Marc Doyle. It's beyond dead.

Vertigo is going through a mini-resurgance with Trillium, Unwritten coming back this year, Hinterland getting some good reviews etc. However, If Carey and Lemire jumped ship then poo poo might be hitting the fan.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I have to admit, Brubaker and Philips' new "We can make whatever we want and they have to publish it" contract is one of the strangest things I've heard of in comics. Should lead to some interesting stuff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

Vertigo is going through a mini-resurgance with Trillium, Unwritten coming back this year, Hinterland getting some good reviews etc. However, If Carey and Lemire jumped ship then poo poo might be hitting the fan.

Unwritten is ending this year and so is Trillium.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Madkal posted:

Trillium and Unwritten are coming to an end and Lemire has already announced that his next book won't be with Vertigo.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Waterhaul posted:

Trillium and Unwritten are coming to an end and Lemire has already announced that his next book won't be with Vertigo.

Underwater Welder wasn't published through Vertigo either. I think he just releases all of his long form graphic novels through other publishers because it's (probably) a much better deal for him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Well gently caress then. Poor Vertigo.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I genuinely hope some of those titles suck, because I won't have time to read them all if they're good. They haven't even mentioned Southern Bastards yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Coffin Hill is legit good.

That's all I have to say about Vertigo these days. I bet those stupid V boxed sets with the masks make them a decent about of scratch considering how many we sell.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Rhyno what did you do this time :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I'm a pretty princess.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Sure he was sprouting off truths people couldn't handle.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Guys, c'mon. We just got Astro City back.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Couldnt find a thread for this so Ill ask here. What kind of sleeves do you recommend for trading cards? I have a bunch from ages ago and never used sleeves. Id like them to be totally closed though(prefer single over those sheets).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zeike posted:

Couldnt find a thread for this so Ill ask here. What kind of sleeves do you recommend for trading cards? I have a bunch from ages ago and never used sleeves. Id like them to be totally closed though(prefer single over those sheets).

Ultra Pro makes basic "penny sleeves" in packs of 100 for 80-99 cents.

In other news, I intercepted stolen comics today. These sketchy dude's brought in three boxes and they had no idea what they had. Kept talking about how the bagged ones had never been opened, never touched blah blah. Then I recognized the boxes. A former employee of the store was robbed a month ago and had posted pictures of the aftermath. The boxes in the pictures were decorated with clippings from Previews, same as the boxes in front of me. So I stalled the guys for a bit, sent out a few messages while pretending to look stuff up on ebay. Got no response and by luck UPS arrived so I told the shifty dudes that I had a time sensitive shipment to work on and asked if they could come back tomorrow. And in a testament to their stupidity they said it was cool if I worked on it tonight, they'd leave the boxes and come back tomorrow. We contacted the owners and they came in, IDed the boxes and he was even able to tell me what was in each box. So the cops came, we did the report and they'll be waiting for the call tomorrow morning so we can catch these assholes.

So I'm now going in to open with the boss and hoping to spring the trap.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That loving rules, way to go on a comic book sting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

That loving rules, way to go on a comic book sting.

The only bad thing is this just 3 boxes out of a dozen or more that were stolen. Plus he won't actually get them back if we get these guys. Conservatively there's $2000 worth of comics in these boxes (first Deadpool, Secret Wars #8, first Gambit etc) so they'll get grand theft which means this stuff will be documented evidence. On the plus side, they're pretty sure these are their former neighbors so it might prompt a warrant, hopefully the rest of the stuff is still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waterhaul posted:

Well yeah but that's not hard. I guess it could be worse, Vertigo could be Icon.

Also it's crazy to note that on top of all of that Image stuff is the likes of the return of Stray Bullets, end of Prophet and all the good books they're still publishing.

Prophet's "ending" in that Prophet Earth War is taking its place. It's still Prophet.

Zeike posted:

Ultra Pros.

• Locked thread