Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rime posted:

God I wish someone other than Enfield would release a 400-500cc bike in North America again. It's just such a perfect displacement.

Harley-Davidson has you covered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rime posted:

God I wish someone other than Enfield would release a 400-500cc bike in North America again. It's just such a perfect displacement.

Honda CB500X: http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb500x.aspx

Honda is funny how they do very wrong and very right. This is the latter in my opinion. I've ridden the NC700X with the automatic gearbox. Not slushy in the least, very fun to ride. I suppose to the 500 is even milder than the 700s already tempered output, but if that's par for the capacity. Don't think the 500 has the auto, but it does have ABS.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I should have put the goalposts at a 400-500cc "Standard", like the SR400.

I really just want the 2014 SR400 to show up in Canada. I'd do anything. :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

That would change the compression, and hence detune the engine, a lot. Probably too big a concession to make.

Shorter stroke, longer conrod.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Shorter stroke, longer conrod.

Do you mean change both crank and conrod? Seems the most expensive way to deal with the government-heavy motorcycling nation of America.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The BeadRider folks are doing their earn-a-seat promotion again. http://www.beadrider.com/earn-a-seat/

These things are totally worth buying anyway if you do any sort of distance riding.

Ola posted:

Do you mean change both crank and conrod? Seems the most expensive way to deal with the government-heavy motorcycling nation of America.

I am pretty sure this is really common. For example, the XB9 and XB12 models have the same bore but something like a 2cm difference in stroke from different crank/rod assemblies that will swap over without any other modification to the engine.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 9, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

Yes except a LAMS striple isn't intended for America and will never be sold there. Stroke is definitely the easiest way to go. Also, I can 100% guarantee a development-poor company like triumph won't be designing an entirely new engine for just one or two models; it'll be mostly identical to their existing triple. They aren't like Honda or Suzuki, who can afford to dump development money on a brand new motor for just one bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

It's actually quite cheap - when you assemble the engine, nothing changes, when you service the engine, nothing changes. You do need to change fueling, obviously, but from an assembly perspective, it's an easy solution.

Suzuki did it with the SV400, although they changed the crank, the conrods, and the bores to get the normal 650 down to a 400 for some japanese market bullshit. If you ran an SV400 crank and conrods on a stock SV650 top end you ended up with an SV500 that was pretty much the best cheater bike in the 500 twins class, as you were competing against GS500s and Ninja 500s.

It's sort of an elegant solution, although you end up with an oversized bike vs. the size of the engine.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Some people run XB9 pistons in the XB12 as they're domed and give you higher compression. Also, the 9 engine is oversquare, has a higher rev limit and feels sportier; but people complained they wanted a 1200cc engine so they got it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

I may finally have found a Harley I like.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

It's actually quite cheap - when you assemble the engine, nothing changes, when you service the engine, nothing changes. You do need to change fueling, obviously, but from an assembly perspective, it's an easy solution.

Suzuki did it with the SV400, although they changed the crank, the conrods, and the bores to get the normal 650 down to a 400 for some japanese market bullshit. If you ran an SV400 crank and conrods on a stock SV650 top end you ended up with an SV500 that was pretty much the best cheater bike in the 500 twins class, as you were competing against GS500s and Ninja 500s.

It's sort of an elegant solution, although you end up with an oversized bike vs. the size of the engine.

The SV400 is the world's saddest and ugliest bike. I rode one and wanted to euthanize it, like it was some five legged Chernobyl mutant.

In other news, I just had a company who sell riding gear tell me that I would have to pay double the normal price to get a suit custom made in my size because apparently no one makes suits for really tall, really skinny guys. Fucksakes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So who is the Chernobyl mutant now? :smug:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Slavvy, they probably would've cut you a discount if you hadn't wheelied through their front door on that red dirtbike that is definitely yours

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

poo poo. I'm even Russian :negative:

182cm yet my chest and waist measurements put me in line with the smallest sized suit they make.

edit: ^^^^^ I just want a bright coloured suit so black gear isn't my description anymore!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Slavvy, they probably would've cut you a discount if you hadn't wheelied through their front door on that red dirtbike that is definitely yours

A man said it on the internet, ARREST HIM!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When I said riding gear I meant horse riding gear I don't know anything about motorbikes I'm meant to be in P.I. and lost my way :ninja:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I can only imagine custom Pakistani eBay suits are as cheap shipped to NZ as they are to the US.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but if I crash I want to not lose all my skin.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm sure they could get you some of that too if you knew the right people to talk to.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rime posted:

The KTM Duke 390 is supposed to be coming here, last I knew.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Yeah but if I crash I want to not lose all my skin.

lol at your new avy.

Also, I have a buddy crash in one of those, came out just fine. They're one shot suits but they protect just fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Goddamn zipper slide on my Alpinestars GP Pro jacket broke. :suicide: Is this going to be a massive pain in the rear end? The thing says YKK 5CN.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The KTM Duke 390 is supposed to be coming here, last I knew.

:laffo: I'd say 2016 if at all. The rumors have been flying forever.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rime posted:

I should have put the goalposts at a 400-500cc "Standard", like the SR400.

I really just want the 2014 SR400 to show up in Canada. I'd do anything. :smith:

If you move the goalposts to allow used bikes your life will be so much happier. My old Honda CM400T may be the best $800 I ever spent. Practice bike for girlfriend, loan it to interns, I don't give a gently caress it was cheap :getin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

<<<<<<<< :lol: what the tittyfucking christ, whoever bought that: I love you.

Z3n posted:

lol at your new avy.

Also, I have a buddy crash in one of those, came out just fine. They're one shot suits but they protect just fine.

There is a crowd that will do a generic, un-branded suit for around $500 tailor fit right here in NZ. They don't look flash, but they look like they'll do the job. I'll hit them up.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Finally Slavvy has a custom title. The absence of one was driving me nuts.

Good one too :hfive:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Goddamn zipper slide on my Alpinestars GP Pro jacket broke. :suicide: Is this going to be a massive pain in the rear end? The thing says YKK 5CN.

A* is apparently awesome about repairs. Give customer service a ring. Otherwise a local tailor who can deal with leather should be able to fix it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

Finally Slavvy has a custom title. The absence of one was driving me nuts.

Good one too :hfive:

My girlfriend thought it was Mrs Doubtfire on crack.

BlackMK4 posted:

I got a zip fixed on my ixon jacket at a race meeting by a couple of nice leather repair ladies, cost me around :10bux: and it's better than the factory YKK zip.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you move the goalposts to allow used bikes your life will be so much happier. My old Honda CM400T may be the best $800 I ever spent. Practice bike for girlfriend, loan it to interns, I don't give a gently caress it was cheap :getin:

My bikes an '80 CB400, there's a thread in here detailing its horrors. The downside to old Hondas is that the parts are impossible to find, Valves? gently caress no, there's none left on earth. Bringing something like the SR400 over would do wonders for reviving the market.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

BlackMK4 posted:

If you need to, this guy gets solid reviews on the track forums I frequent:

http://www.racingleather.com/repairs.html

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Am I bad person for desperately wanting one of those new BMW S1000Rs?

It's so beautiful!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

A guy on an R1 was blitzing at every stoplight with me on the way home from work today. It was a good day riding home. :yayclod:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

PadreScout posted:

Am I bad person for desperately wanting one of those new BMW S1000Rs?

It's so beautiful!
Yes you're horrible. It's not beautiful, this is beautiful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Rev might be getting the R and RR confused. The naked-ish R loses most of the odd asymmetric design elements of the RR and is a nice looking bike. Doesn't do anything for me but I look at Italian bikes too much.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's slow at work so we put on Why We Ride. I lost interest in about ten minutes.
It starts with a montage of people talking about how great riding is and then goes into an extremely brief segment on motorcycle history.
The meat of it is the same six people talking about different types of riding/racing with various, slo-mo shots of motorcycles.
This movie is loving boring.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Rev might be getting the R and RR confused. The naked-ish R loses most of the odd asymmetric design elements of the RR and is a nice looking bike. Doesn't do anything for me but I look at Italian bikes too much.

Really? I like the RR more. The R is too swoopy for a naked bike, it's got none of the brutishness of a speed triple or most other nakeds. The RR is sexy, I feel like it pulls off the asymmetric headlights pretty well.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Really? I like the RR more. The R is too swoopy for a naked bike, it's got none of the brutishness of a speed triple or most other nakeds. The RR is sexy, I feel like it pulls off the asymmetric headlights pretty well.

Yeah, I've grown to like the look of the RR; it has this demented look, like it's a little bit crazy and manic and you're not really sure what it's going to bust out and do.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

e brutishness of a speed triple or most other nakeds.

See, I used to want the Speed Triple but they've switched it and the Street to those gently caress UGLY molded plastic headlights. I loving hate how those look and it has just completely deflated my Triple boner.

That KTM a few posts up is pretty , but I'm not into straight racing/clips-on/rear set machines. A RC8 with bars would be something interesting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pope Mobile posted:

It's slow at work so we put on Why We Ride. I lost interest in about ten minutes.
It starts with a montage of people talking about how great riding is and then goes into an extremely brief segment on motorcycle history.
The meat of it is the same six people talking about different types of riding/racing with various, slo-mo shots of motorcycles.
This movie is loving boring.

So the movie is just an extended version of the trailer?

Good job guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

PadreScout posted:

See, I used to want the Speed Triple but they've switched it and the Street to those gently caress UGLY molded plastic headlights. I loving hate how those look and it has just completely deflated my Triple boner.

That KTM a few posts up is pretty , but I'm not into straight racing/clips-on/rear set machines. A RC8 with bars would be something interesting.

I'm the exact opposite, I loved the Triples (Street and Speed) apart from those twin round lights, which just looked like they'd run out of money and chucked some random bits left over from the 70s (Yes I know modern-day Triumph are related in name only to the old company, shut up). I really like the new lights but feel like I can't buy a Striple now because every other fucker has one and I have to be a Beautiful and Unique Snowflake.