Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nystral posted:

Can someone explain the La Parka / L.A. Park thing to me? How did the new La Parka take over the gimmick when the other guy was still wrestling?

AAA owns the gimmick, not the wrestler. They let him use it in WCW because AAA had an amicable relationship with WCW at one time, but Pena eventually wanted to promote a new guy in the mask. So he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

Thanks for making me feel old. All of my wrestling video game memories are from the NES and Gameboy.

This was a good game. The AI got progressively harder.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

EugeneJ posted:

This was a good game. The AI got progressively harder.

For its time, yeah, definitely. Beating the game with Perfect was a big accomplishment for 12-year old me.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

AAA owns the gimmick, not the wrestler. They let him use it in WCW because AAA had an amicable relationship with WCW at one time, but Pena eventually wanted to promote a new guy in the mask. So he did.

Complicating the matter further is that L.A. Park (original) beat new La Parka at a Triplemania for the rights to the original name but AAA later threw it out due to what they claim was the ruling of Mexico City's lucha commission.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Ghostpilot posted:

Edit: Something that just came to mind: my memory's hazy on this, but has Gene Oakerlund ever introduced himself as Mean Gene, or was that what everybody else called him? And where did the name come from (I assume simply because it rhymed)?

I've always assumed it was one of those "let's call the fat guy 'Tiny'" things.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Amy Renee posted:

Goddamn it now they ALL look like they're jerking off

Thanks, Halloween Jack!
Big Boss Man, born 1963, died 2004, age 41. Heart attack.
Curt Hennig, born 1958, died 2003, age 44. Cocaine overdose.
Road Warrior Hawk, born 1957, died 2003, age 46. Heart attack.
John Tenta, born 1963, died 2006, age 42. Bladder cancer.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 9, 2014

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Wrestlemania 2000 was a great game. There were some loving crazy combos. Only bad part was auto-pin/submission. I can still hear "PIN HIM! PIN HIM! PIN HIM!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Wojtek posted:

Wrestlemania 2000 was a great game. There were some loving crazy combos. Only bad part was auto-pin/submission. I can still hear "PIN HIM! PIN HIM! PIN HIM!"

You're thinking of WM the Arcade Game

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

triplexpac posted:

You're thinking of WM the Arcade Game

"YOU HAVE TO GIVE CREDIT TO...DOINK THE CLOWN!"

"ON HIS CHEST, TWO, AND YAAAHH!!"

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
You're right; I typed the wrong thing.

If I'm remembering correctly, this game was so buggy that you could do tag matches, break up lockups on one person using the chair stab move, and maintain the lockup with the other. Then you could pull powerbombs and poo poo out of thin air.

This game let you trick people into using their submission/laying/running finishers on their tag partner. I can't count the number of times we ran Bret Hart into a posing Lex Luger.

Wojtek fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 9, 2014

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtXoCIhUUCE

:effort: "The Rock...AND...Tazz...are competing continually!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sometimes WWE 14 is alright by me. I was playing Savage with Elizabeth vs Del Rio with Ricardo. Ricardo kept distracting the ref on all of my pins, until I got annoyed and threw him into the steps. I Elbowed Del Rio and pinned him, while somewhere in the background Elizabeth had decked Ricardo and was stomping the poo poo out of him. Tee hee.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shiki Dan posted:

My favourite wrestling game commentary soundbite will always be the perennially hilarious "He's putting those educated feet to good use!" in the Yukes WWE games.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Halloween Jack posted:

Big Boss Man, born 1963, died 2004, age 41. Heart attack.
Curt Hennig, born 1958, died 2003, age 44. Cocaine overdose.
Road Warrior Hawk, born 1957, died 2003, age 46. Heart attack.
John Tenta, born 1963, died 2006, age 42. Bladder cancer.

Demolition Crush, born 1964, died 2007, age 43. Indeterminate causes.

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer

Shiki Dan posted:

And here I thought commentary couldn't get worse than War Zone and Attitude.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Mr. Perfect looks like he's saying "'DERP DERP DERP!' That's my impression of you!"

Would probably make a good avatar.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
WWE All Stars is the best wrestling game.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Aurain posted:

My favourite wrestling game commentary soundbite will always be the perennially hilarious "He's putting those educated feet to good use!" in the Yukes WWE games.

I always liked the line "Chris Jericho is BACK, from Beverly Hills" from Smackdown KYR I think. It was just so out of nowhere... why was Jericho in Beverly Hills?

Also the commentary didn't know what to say when you used a chair, I swear it always glitched out. Sometimes they'd say GORE!

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Aurain posted:

I like all the stuff that King says about Divas. "Oh, my motto would be love thy neighbor if I lived next door to her."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Aurain posted:

What about Lawler yelling "I gotta feeling SOUP's gonna be on his diet for the next few weeks!" in every game over the last few years?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it's amazing to me how bad the commentary in WWE games is when the UFC games do it so well.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The best commentary came from Tazz in SvR 2009 when he goes completely off script and goes "Haha, who writes this poo poo?" after one really cheesy line. For some reason that was kept in the game.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cardboard Box posted:

it's amazing to me how bad the commentary in WWE games is when the UFC games do it so well.

Yeah, I was amazed at how good the commentary in that game was. It calls everything perfectly and even can interrupt itself if something significant happens.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Cardboard Box posted:

I may be wrong, but I think it's something to do with the UFC games using a lot of clips from actual PPVs in their commentary.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
One little wrestling game tidbit that I like is the grunts and groans in the 16-bit WWF Royal Rumble/Raw were done by Tony Chimel and Mike Chioda.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Shiki Dan posted:

"the ... TAZZ MISSION ... is really powerful."

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa."

"TAZZ is a really great person."

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The crowd talking poo poo in War Zone was well done. Wish they would do a total overhaul on the crowd and sound in 2k15.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

What about Lawler yelling "I gotta feeling SOUP's gonna be on his diet for the next few weeks!" in every game over the last few years?

"Feeling that upper torso... Checking for any bruises and you know they're there!"

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I liked Shane's commentary in Attitude. COMIN' OFF THE ROPES!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Perfidus posted:

I liked Shane's commentary in Attitude. COMIN' OFF THE ROPES!

There's this awful re-curring thing where he forgets how to say the expression "One legged man in an asskicking contest" and finishes by asking "how does that go, pops?" It'd be mildly amusing if they did once, but you'd hear it 2-3 times a match.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

"YOU HAVE TO GIVE CREDIT TO...DOINK THE CLOWN!"

"ON HIS CHEST, TWO, AND YAAAHH!!"

What made that game was the stilted-ness in those voice clips.

YOU HAVE TO GIVE CREDIT TO LEX LUGER!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What is Abdullah the Butcher's best match? Did he have a best match? Was it anything but clotheslines and forks?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Joeslop posted:

What is Abdullah the Butcher's best match? Did he have a best match? Was it anything but clotheslines and forks?

A lot of stuff he did in Japan is genuinely good....there's a match in particular of him and The Sheik (the hardcore one, not the cussin' cokehead) vs the Funks, and it's an absolute war. He also had a really good match with Dick Murdoch that has one of the grossest brainbuster bumps I've ever seen.

I'm pretty sure him and Mick had a couple of worthwhile matches too, but I've not seen them.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 9, 2014

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Joeslop posted:

It was mostly clotheslines and forks, but he had fun matches in Puerto Rico with a variety of guys, and his matches with Bruiser Brody are usually good. He had a really fun brawl with Dusty Rhodes in Japan, too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Red posted:

You know, I always wondered: was Savage really planning on retiring after losing to Warrior at that show?

He gave Warrior like 4 or 5 flying elbowdrops, which was kicked out of.

I didn't want this question to get lost - any idea?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Joeslop posted:

Its very obviously this one, a match so incredible they wouldn't air the full thing on television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUBzM5nivJw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

It was mostly clotheslines and forks, but he had fun matches in Puerto Rico with a variety of guys, and his matches with Bruiser Brody are usually good. He had a really fun brawl with Dusty Rhodes in Japan, too.

Were any of them Forks vs Knives matches?

I'm not sure how ashamed I should be of that.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

oatgan posted:

Its very obviously this one, a match so incredible they wouldn't air the full thing on television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUBzM5nivJw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The most athletic part of that match was the ref leaping into position to count the three.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
No idea what game it was but I still remember 'THE ROCK ROCKS THE BODY THAT ROCKS THE PARTY'. They'd shout it every time you did a float-over DDT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The funny part is Abby looks like he was scooting around faster than usual.