Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BlackMK4 posted:

Go look at Fuelly and it's plain to see - http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/328i

The jump between the E9x and the F30 is pretty huge there; almost three full miles per gallon better in the F30 - representing a 13% improvement in fuel consumption. IIRC that's within a percent or so of what BMW predicted the F30 would achieve over the E9x.

Granted, I get to trot out the old baseball thread meme of "small sample size", but still, the numbers pretty much match the promise here.

E: I just calculated that with my driving, I would probably return between 30 and 31 mpg in an F30 328...pretty impressive if you ask me.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Regularly getting 33.4 mpg highway in my 1998 E39 with 174,000 miles :c00l:

34 with a tailwind

ThePriceJustWentUp
Dec 20, 2013
I got like 28-30 mpg from Boston to NYC a few weeks ago in my E34 525i, but I don't drive the car enough to make any more observations than that. In the city it kinda sucks, like 13 mpg average. I think I should be getting slightly better gas mileage all around but it feels like a needle in a haystack to find what would help it. It could be anything.

Edit - I love the car by the way, I don't want to just complain. It's awesome. Buy an E34 if you want an awesome car.

ThePriceJustWentUp fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 9, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Let's go back to what Clarkson said. "Its not what you drive, its how you drive it"

Unless you drive a land rover. That's just instant below 20 territory.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I wouldn't have got a bmw if I couldn't get at least 50mpg, I regularly average 55 and have once averaged 60.x over a full tank. Load space may be poo poo but I love my 320d.

Now if only I had the weather to diagnose and fix the heated rear screen it'd be nearly perfect.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010
With me it's never what car will be next but what bmw will I buy, eventually regret and then sell it and miss it so much I start the self hatred all over.

MPGs is my goal. Wanted to do a E30 M50TU swap and keep the getrag 260 and a 2.79 LSD out of an ES and have a 200hp 40mpg highway beast but I really think I need a newer, more refined highway runner for long trips. Getting older I'm finding cruise, steering wheel controls, and a quiet cabin at 80+ more of a priority than I used to..

I think it will end up being that game of "what's on craigslist for stupid cheap when I have a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket"

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
lovely starting issue with me e46:

A couple days ago I turned the key and the lights, radio, air, etc all went on perfectly fine, but nothing happened when I turned it to start. It was behaving exactly as It would if my clutch pedal was not depressed. I removed the key, inserted again, and it started just fine. This happened one more time the following day.

Today my "remove the key and try again" trick stopped working. I turn it on and all the accessories go on just fine, but I turn to start and I get nothing.

Of course many things could cause these symptoms, but any ideas on what the most common could be? I will probably have to tow it to a shop which is a huge hassle because it is in my underground garage. The shop is also closed Fri-Sun which means no car for awhile. At least it broke in my garage and not somewhere else.

edit: I tried jumping it, assuming it was a dead battery, didn't work.

ynotony fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 9, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I manage to average 20.2 mpg in the 135i, which is fairly impressive considering it's a turbocharged car and I can't loving stop mashing the loud pedal

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I used to get 18 combined on the E36, then I swapped the rear end and now I get 17.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ThePriceJustWentUp posted:

I got like 28-30 mpg from Boston to NYC a few weeks ago in my E34 525i, but I don't drive the car enough to make any more observations than that. In the city it kinda sucks, like 13 mpg average. I think I should be getting slightly better gas mileage all around but it feels like a needle in a haystack to find what would help it. It could be anything.

Edit - I love the car by the way, I don't want to just complain. It's awesome. Buy an E34 if you want an awesome car.

No that's about what I get in my e34 525i. Around 25mpg average on the highway, way less in the city. It's actually not bad for an 18 year old anything with a straight six that is built like a tank.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My 1991 318i gets around 27-29mpg on the highway. The 325is gets around 24-25 highway, and around 19-20 if I'm driving it harder than usual.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

That reflects even more poorly on the F30's mileage - my zhp has more aggressive cams, wider (higher rolling resistance) tires, and shorter final gearing than a standard 330i - it's the least efficient E46 short of an M3, and can still match/beat the EPA highway mpg for the F30 328i, despite all it's efficient dynamics BS.

Comparing a momentary sample at your car's MPG meter (which is inaccurate to begin with) under the utmost ideal conditions doesn't really compare well to federally-tested fuel economy numbers.

Your point about weight is still irrelevant--most vehicles only need somewhere in the 15-20hp range to keep a car moving at 60mph.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

Cruise control on, my ~36 mile freeway commute home, with the meter reset shortly after merging into traffic and getting up to speed. :colbert:
All downhill with a tailwind at 55 mph I imagine. Your results are not typical and they're related to the environment you're driving in, not the car. If I baby my 330i I see 26 combined, and 30 flat on the highway at ~70-75. Your overall average is nowhere near 36, sorry.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
If I wanted fuel economy, I would have bought a Hybrid or a Diesel, I wanted the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE though, so I live with 23-26mpg mixed driving and a better exhaust note.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
My E36 M3 gets something like 15mpg city, 22-25mpg highway depending on where/how I'm driving.

I could probably get 18mpg city but I like acceleration too much.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

destructo posted:

All downhill with a tailwind at 55 mph I imagine. Your results are not typical and they're related to the environment you're driving in, not the car. If I baby my 330i I see 26 combined, and 30 flat on the highway at ~70-75. Your overall average is nowhere near 36, sorry.

:thejoke: Congratulations, the horse is dead. You saw through the clever ruse to make you believe your car was broken.

:wrongful:

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

CornHolio posted:

I hit a massive pothole at about 30 mph.

I don't know what state you're in but in NJ you can submit the damage to the Treasury Dept of Risk Management (or something like that) and recoup your repair fees. It takes forever and you have to go through your insurance if you have comprehensive coverage.

Make sure to report the damage through MVC or the state, then submit the claim as if it happened a few days later. I hit a pothole back in July and I got some BS letter saying that since the state didn't know of the hazard they were not liable. Seems like that would promote scamming since if you're the first person to hit and report a hazard, apparently that's your problem. I pushed back and it looks like i'm going to get my deductible back soon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you really want to know what kind of fuel mileage you're getting, get the fuelly app. You can go off mileage or your odometer. You put in how many miles you've driven, how many gallons you put in and the price of gas. It tracks your average MPG and how much you spend on fuel and how much driving you do. I'm averaging 20.244 because I only have a couple mile drive into work.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ah crap I stumbled into the Prius thread again...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Popete posted:

Ah crap I stumbled into the Prius thread again...
The only number that interested me in the past two pages was Das Volk's 5.3mpg on the Nurburgring :getin:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Beach Bum posted:

:thejoke: Congratulations, the horse is dead. You saw through the clever ruse to make you believe your car was broken.

:wrongful:

Peoples' is takin' poo poo way too seriously on these here internets lately. Or at least a lot more seriously than I am.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ynotony posted:

lovely starting issue with me e46:

Sounds like your starter has met an untimely end. Is your car a manual? Try bump starting it.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
What is the advice for buying a car a few years old but with seriously low mileage? I'm there's an 07 530i with just 7700 miles on it. Do I need to worry about things like the GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM being age limited as well as mileage limited? What sort of service interval should it have had? (6/12 monthly fluid change regardless of km?)

edit: and how do I check if its just a scam?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 9, 2014

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

That reflects even more poorly on the F30's mileage - my zhp has more aggressive cams, wider (higher rolling resistance) tires, and shorter final gearing than a standard 330i - it's the least efficient E46 short of an M3, and can still match/beat the EPA highway mpg for the F30 328i, despite all it's efficient dynamics BS.

Rolling resistance should not be a large factor and barely even a small factor when talking about highway speeds.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The only number that interested me in the past two pages was Das Volk's 5.3mpg on the Nurburgring :getin:

6 laps per tank :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
drat son.

Sumptious
Dec 19, 2013
In my 2003 e46 320i (the 2200cc version) I managed recently to get 7.1 litres/100km or 33 miles to the U.S gallon driving along a bit of motorway and mostly country roads at around 60 mph which isn't too bad.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Das Volk posted:

Impressive. I would like to see what the E60 M5 can do with that V10.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Impressive. I would like to see what the E60 M5 can do with that V10.

Considering they average like goddamn 13.5mpg in mixed driving.... At least, in my experience.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions on parts I should replace when installing my new coilover setup on the e36? I figure well I have it all apart I might as well get some problem areas replaced. It's also been like a whole month since I've bought more car parts to add to the pile for spring time installation...

Car is at around 93k miles.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Popete posted:

Any suggestions on parts I should replace when installing my new coilover setup on the e36? I figure well I have it all apart I might as well get some problem areas replaced. It's also been like a whole month since I've bought more car parts to add to the pile for spring time installation...

Car is at around 93k miles.

How crazy are you willing to get? At minimum, I would recommend doing your front control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings. Next step would be those and your rear subframe/diff bushings (though that will require quite a bit more disassembly).

Does the kit come with mount reinforcement plates? Get some for the rear if your kit doesn't.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This is a BMW Thread: PETROL TEARS FOR EFFICIENCY FEARS

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Jealous Cow posted:

This is a BMW Thread: PETROL TEARS FOR EFFICIENCY FEARS

Tails from the Big Petrol Snare

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Das Volk posted:

This is, BTW, the only measure of fuel efficiency any enthusiast should be concerned about.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Any recommendations on a coolant to use temporarily? I need to put some in and don't have immediate access to bmw coolant. It's for an e46

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Any recommendations on a coolant to use temporarily? I need to put some in and don't have immediate access to bmw coolant. It's for an e46

If it's not likely to freeze where you are, you can use straight distilled water.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

MrChips posted:

How crazy are you willing to get? At minimum, I would recommend doing your front control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings. Next step would be those and your rear subframe/diff bushings (though that will require quite a bit more disassembly).

While you can do the subframe/diff bushings at any time (unbolt both shocks and easily remove aftermarket spring) I would do them now anyway. Removing it will almost definitely require rechecking the alignment. Depending on what's available, they can be from 100-200 for all 4.

RTABs can be done without any special tools. Use OEM rubber style with limiters. You can do these without needing an alignment if you scribe the washers on the mounting bolts. May still *slightly* alter toe.

I would definitely do FCABs with new suspension. They don't last long, and again require an alignment.

Definitely replace the diff bushing if you are going to track/autox at all. Or you will get to do this:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You don't need to worry about that differential problem unless you're doing hard launches. I drove the poo poo out of my modded e36 328i and never had any problems.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Hard launches make it worse (I broke mine from a typical 3k launch with rcomps), but it can snap if the bushing is worn. I've seen one person come in from a track with session a broken bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
This is not a question I ever thought I'd be asking, but as one has popped up for a decent price I thought it might be worth considering.

Anything in particular to look out for with the first gen 1 series?
The car in question is
- 2005 120i 5 door
- 6 speed manual (this is why the car is even being considered)
- 145,000km (90,000 miles)
- Fairly basic, cloth interior and no extras aside from an apparently upgrades (but still BMW) stereo system

I realise it isn't going to be the quickest thing out there, but that probably isn't such a bad thing