Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Powershift posted:

http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/

looks like they got their hands on some american steel.

I guess with their Carmageddon lifestyle Russia would run out of cars pretty quickly without shops like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

fingerling posted:

It isn't that MG that Top Gear was going on about a few years ago? Didn't that come with some V8 or something? Hilariously bad build quality (:britain:), but from what Clarkson was saying - 'mental'.

e: looks similar if you haven't looked at on in a few years. Totally different. :(

The MG that was originally a De Tomaso and then a Qvale? No, it's not one of those. Andrew Frankel at Autocar drove one of the last remaining ones late last year: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/mg-x-power-sv-driven

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

CommieGIR posted:

Am I the only one tempted to cut their timing belt for exposing it like that?

Why bother? Something else will cut it soon enough.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I saw this beauty in Canton, MI a few weeks ago. The paint is a little blown out in the picture but it looked a lot like the glow in the dark colored stuff.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bung posted:

I saw this beauty in Canton, MI a few weeks ago. The paint is a little blown out in the picture but it looked a lot like the glow in the dark colored stuff.

I vote wrong thread. Rims especially.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bung posted:

Don't open the trunk.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Powershift posted:

http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/

looks like they got their hands on some american steel.

http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/31952.html

Holy poo poo, I would not want to be in that car at all. I imagine it wobbles like jelly when it moves in any direction.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

88h88 posted:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

I opened up my copy of Merriam-Websters and turned it to the entry for 'radical' and this thing came flying out of the pages, wheelied across my living room floor, smashed through the bay window and is now doing donuts on my lawn

E: just transformed into a robot that is also some kind of boombox

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Puddin posted:

http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/31952.html

Holy poo poo, I would not want to be in that car at all. I imagine it wobbles like jelly when it moves in any direction.
Yeaahhhh... I mean, I'm not a big fan of that stuff, but it looks like they replace entire sections with new metal pressings, and the only welding is at the original joins, so I don't have a problem with it in principle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Old soviet joke told to me by my mother:

As a show of international friendly competition, GM and Lada decided to do a long-term test-car swap to see how their vehicles would cope with conditions across the iron curtain.

After one year of strenuous road driving, they met again to exchange notes.

The Russians: "What a godawful vehicle. Just a year on our roads, and the car is completely destroyed!"
The Americans: "What a godawful vehicle. Just a year on our roads, and the roads are completely destroyed!"

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

Polymerized Cum posted:

Will someone please post that awesome russian website where they hack together cars out of pieces and parts?

I've dragged a completely destroyed E39 with torn off right front suspension and crumpled passenger side front quarter to this guys. Just yesterday moved the car to other shop for brake and electric work, will report when it's done.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just a taxi I saw in the mall parking garage here on Guam.

Edit: made picture smaller since I can't tell how big it is on my phone

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

88h88 posted:

Those are $5 beauty hubcaps

But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't drive it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

bung posted:

Wanna drive that car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

Those are $5 beauty hubcaps

But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't drive it.

No they're not. Those spun aluminum discs cost about $100/ set.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I opened up my copy of Merriam-Websters and turned it to the entry for 'radical' and this thing came flying out of the pages, wheelied across my living room floor, smashed through the bay window and is now doing donuts on my lawn

E: just transformed into a robot that is also some kind of boombox

Bravo! That made me honestly laugh put loud.
Also, a Fiero that is actually still a Fiero deserves recognition. A buddy of mine has a bunch of these (he had a Fiero specialty business for a whole) and the story behind the car is actually pretty fascinating. There are quite a few design and manufacturing innovations in it. It suffered for trying to go around GMs hidebound traditions. That is to say, GM killed it because it pissed off the other divisions, among other things. The fires didn't help, either.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

iwentdoodie posted:

Just a taxi I saw in the mall parking garage here on Guam.

Edit: made picture smaller since I can't tell how big it is on my phone

just put the full image in thumbnail tags cause you can't see poo poo on a 200x300 image and it'll size it down automatically. Also is that a tribal vinyl on the side?

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Somehow it got timg'd in your quote, now I can blow up the pic and wooooooah that thing's got layers, man.

- i <3 japan
- yellow ribbons and a bald eagle
- transformers poo poo
- a little model jet plane hood ornament

Need a shot of the interior plz thx.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Guys. It's for sale.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I had a mountainbike as a kid which had the same white/orange fade. It was cool in like 1990...

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

InitialDave posted:

A lot of the racing ones have fixed lights, so it's not uncommon.

Speaking of racing RXs, how about a Group B one?

This reminded me when someone brought an SA22 to a rally

It sounded absolutely magnificent, I can only imagine how awesome the actual Gr.B beast wouldve sounded.

To keep on topic:

3cyl diesel moped car for old people and... teenagers.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
ULTRA UTERUS

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

tobu posted:

Guys. It's for sale.

That's pretty cool until the orange fade starts in. The wheels could also gently caress off.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Darchangel posted:

No they're not. Those spun aluminum discs cost about $100/ set.

This is the reason my winter steelies still don't have a set.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

tobu posted:

Guys. It's for sale.

Oh my gosh the flames have a snakeskin texture to them :allears:

That's a new one for this thread, I think.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Darchangel posted:

Bravo! That made me honestly laugh put loud.
Also, a Fiero that is actually still a Fiero deserves recognition. A buddy of mine has a bunch of these (he had a Fiero specialty business for a whole) and the story behind the car is actually pretty fascinating. There are quite a few design and manufacturing innovations in it. It suffered for trying to go around GMs hidebound traditions. That is to say, GM killed it because it pissed off the other divisions, among other things. The fires didn't help, either.

The fires were mostly because the GM management said "No we will NOT buy you a new oil pan for your smaller engine bay! Use your older brothers!"

And then people put oil in it till it said it was full, and not 2/3 like the manual said.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

And then people put oil in it till it said it was full, and not 2/3 like the manual said.

That's GM's fault, not the owners. I would never think to check the owner's manual on how high to fill up oil, instead of using the marks on the dipstick.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How does filling up the sump to a given depth cause fires in one engine but not another? Or do you mean the dipstick is too short, so "full" is actually higher than in the other applications?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

InitialDave posted:

How does filling up the sump to a given depth cause fires in one engine but not another? Or do you mean the dipstick is too short, so "full" is actually higher than in the other applications?

Yeah GM wouldn't spring for a new oil pan, or new dipstick, because it was cheaper to just print the change in the owners manual.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Polymerized Cum posted:

Yeah GM wouldn't spring for a new oil pan, or new dipstick, because it was cheaper to just print the change in the owners manual.

I guess throwing an entire model into the garbage was a better use of that money. Or maybe setting piles of it on fire.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought it was the opposite problem in Fieros; that not putting enough oil in them caused a conrod to pop and shoot oil through the new block window onto the headers.

edit:

Wikipedia posted:

There are several possible contributors to Fiero engines catching fire. The primary cause is thought to be a batch of poorly cast connecting rods, produced in GM's Saginaw plant, which failed when the oil level became too low. One theory is that the sports car styling attracted buyers who would drive the car hard, most notably by excessively revving the engine. Another factor was the incorrectly listed three-quart oil capacity; the actual oil capacity is 4.5 quarts, but a misprint on the dipstick and in the owner's manual resulted in owners using only three quarts, any leakage or consumption would allow the oil level to decline over time to a dangerously low level. If the proper oil level was not maintained, the bearings could seize, snapping the porous castings of the connecting rods. This could result in a hole being punched in the engine block, allowing oil to spray onto hot exhaust components where it could ignite.

Has GM ever actually fired someone?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Polymerized Cum posted:

No, that's what I mean. Am I being thick? If you have a sump and dipstick that's correct for the engine in one car, how is it incorrect if you put that engine in another car?

Edit: I think what SSS says makes more sense, to be honest.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Okay, that makes way more sense. I guess the legend of the Fiero was distorted in my head over time.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Welp I didn't see that the HDR totally hosed up the photo until i put it on my computer screen. The light was green so i only had one shot. The lights weren't crooked that's just what i get for leaving hdr mode on.

It actually looked pretty... okay i guess. It was painted on properly and if it wasn't a lovely acura with an awful muffler then it would probably be cool? maybe? not really. nope.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

punakone posted:

This reminded me when someone brought an SA22 to a rally

It sounded absolutely magnificent, I can only imagine how awesome the actual Gr.B beast wouldve sounded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-hMT3iIMQY

:)

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Group B does not belong in this thread.

"Post terrible retarded crowd stuff in this thread", sure.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's pretty cool until the orange fade starts in. The wheels could also gently caress off.

Did no one notice that the cream/orange paint is actually inspired by the cream/orange leather interior?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So this dude is nearly done with his car now.

What I really want to know is why that particular era of Celica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
All that's left is putting it in a crusher.