Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Harlock posted:

So Dimension 2 is pretty well received, yeah? I got really soured on Disgaea 3, and never even attempted 4.

Just make me a Phantom Brave 2 please.

Disgaea 4 is the best Disgaea game, you're really missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I think this might be the first disgaea I finish since the original.

Noobie question: how is Terra Star unlocked? Is it via promotion to Prism/Galaxy mage?

2nd question, if I promote a Red mage before she unlocks Terra Fire, would she learn it as a blue mage?

Sorry, it's been a while.

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!

Kris xK posted:

FYI, the Rasberyl DLC is currently free on PSN.

I'm still kinda miffed that after waiting patiently for the PRIMA Rasberyl code to become and finding out that was for a post-game character instead of right away like Fallen Angel Flonne.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Kris xK posted:

I think this might be the first disgaea I finish since the original.

Noobie question: how is Terra Star unlocked? Is it via promotion to Prism/Galaxy mage?

2nd question, if I promote a Red mage before she unlocks Terra Fire, would she learn it as a blue mage?

Sorry, it's been a while.

In D2, you get Terra star by promoting to the next level mage.

Also, you get the spells via level now, I think, so it doesn't matter what rank of mage you are since you choose your specialty at creation.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Sonata Mused posted:

In D2, you get Terra star by promoting to the next level mage.

Also, you get the spells via level now, I think, so it doesn't matter what rank of mage you are since you choose your specialty at creation.

Oh good then, I haven't been wasting time by teaching all the mages all the spell types.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm glad Raspberyl is free DLC. She was one of my favorite parts of D3's narrative in addition to being one of the more useful uniques. I don't know why all the DLC and such for later games decided that Salvatore was such a huge part of D3 as opposed to being one not particuarly hilarious joke which I assume she keeps up through all her DLC appearances.

:geno: ha. ha. The nazi ordered me to drink the Earth through a straw. This sure is jokes. :geno:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

projecthalaxy posted:

Put about 10 hours into D2 so far and this is the best (mechanically) Disgaea game ever, in my opinion. Being able to switch masters and pupils on the fly, promotion without reincarnation for generics, the entire monster mount system, the cheat shop, and being able to pay your way out of Dark Assembly bills are all amazing, among others. However, I do have one question. About how long should it take for the Demon Dojo to level up? I'm mid Chapter 4 and have done probably 200 floors of Item Sea and some tutorial-map grinding. It says it will level up after some battles, when can I expect that?

It's actually only 30 stage clears with the training character on the field at the end to go from level 1 to 2. I think it's something like 40 or 50 clears to go from 2 to 3 (but should go faster, since you can have two characters out). 3-4 is something like 100 clears.

Now keep in mind, Item World does NOT count towards this total, only regular stages.

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013

Sonata Mused posted:

Are you referring to Disgaea 2's Dark World? If you actually went back and did another cycle through the game (as in re-doing everything from scratch), you will have to re-unlock everything again.

Yeah, like new game+ but when I go to where the switches are supposed to be, they are never there or activate, it's very confusing.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Schwartzcough posted:

It's actually only 30 stage clears with the training character on the field at the end to go from level 1 to 2. I think it's something like 40 or 50 clears to go from 2 to 3 (but should go faster, since you can have two characters out). 3-4 is something like 100 clears.

Now keep in mind, Item World does NOT count towards this total, only regular stages.

That explains a lot. Thank you, and sorry for the misinformation! :)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Does D2 crash a lot for anyone else? It always happens during the animations, and it sucks to lose progress in item world.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Uncle Jam posted:

Does D2 crash a lot for anyone else? It always happens during the animations, and it sucks to lose progress in item world.

Yeah, it's a widespread thing and as far as I know, NIS/NISA haven't said a word about it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

It's a pretty frequent problem for a lot of people. :( If you load your save immediately after starting up your file, it eliminates the freezing for some reason.

lizardqueen
Feb 27, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Seven people in a tower does increase the range, and they all get experience, but I'm pretty sure the tower experience is divided evenly, so it's best to just have a strong unit pick up the one you're trying to level. The bonus experience is allocated to everyone on the field, yeah.

Actually, I think all the people in the tower get either full experience or close to it. I'm midway through chapter three, and since the start of chapter two I've been fighting by having all my units in one giant tower. I now have 17ish lvl 20-24 units, when the enemies are around lvl 15, and I've only repeated a few stages.

I don't know how those numbers compare to if you'd just had one unit kill all the enemies in every stage, but it seems to be a great way to gain experience and mana, the problem is that your skills lag behind.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I'm fairly sure everyone in the tower gets 100% exp for the kill. The only annoying thing about this method is you can only have one monster per tower, at the very top so it would still be fairly time consuming to power level a new team of monsters.

I havent seen this posted in this thread yet:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/6/5279090/disgaea-developer-teases-new-game-in-new-years-card

personally I think a sequel to disgaea 4 would be cool because it's my favourite in the series.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lizardqueen posted:

Actually, I think all the people in the tower get either full experience or close to it. I'm midway through chapter three, and since the start of chapter two I've been fighting by having all my units in one giant tower. I now have 17ish lvl 20-24 units, when the enemies are around lvl 15, and I've only repeated a few stages.

I don't know how those numbers compare to if you'd just had one unit kill all the enemies in every stage, but it seems to be a great way to gain experience and mana, the problem is that your skills lag behind.

That post I made a while back is referring to Disgaea 2, not Disgaea D2, just so you know.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
So I picked up D4 a year ago, and played it for about 10 hours. How do I undue any patching that I may have done and get back to the base game?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Gegil posted:

So I picked up D4 a year ago, and played it for about 10 hours. How do I undue any patching that I may have done and get back to the base game?

I've never done it but I imagine if you delete the game data files on the PS3 it would revert to 1.0

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I know basically nothing about the Disgaea series, but I love strategy RPGs and really want to give one a go. I only have a PS3 so the options are basically 3 or 4. Which one should I go with and how badly will I suffer from not having played the previous games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

PTizzle posted:

I know basically nothing about the Disgaea series, but I love strategy RPGs and really want to give one a go. I only have a PS3 so the options are basically 3 or 4. Which one should I go with and how badly will I suffer from not having played the previous games?

Disgaea 4, and basically not much at all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PTizzle posted:

Besides quality of life stuff, I wouldn't say Disgaea 3 and 4 are outright improvements on Disgaea 2, which you can buy on the Playstation 2 section of the store. It's only $10, so unless Disgaea 4's really cheap you might want to look into that.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Besides quality of life stuff, I wouldn't say Disgaea 3 and 4 are outright improvements on Disgaea 2, which you can buy on the Playstation 2 section of the store. It's only $10, so unless Disgaea 4's really cheap you might want to look into that.

I'll look into that, cheers. If the differences aren't huge and I haven't played one before it might be smarter to spend a little less. Disgaea 4 is $30 Australian, not full price or anything which is handy if I want to move on.

Glad to hear that I can dive in without prior knowledge.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
A patch for Disgaea D2 came out a couple days ago. It's supposed to fix the freezes and some other minor things. Some guy on the NISA forums said he's still getting crashes but he's the only one so far. I just played for a couple hours, without using the load-quit-load workaround, and didn't have any problems yet.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

CaptainWinky posted:

A patch for Disgaea D2 came out a couple days ago. It's supposed to fix the freezes and some other minor things. Some guy on the NISA forums said he's still getting crashes but he's the only one so far. I just played for a couple hours, without using the load-quit-load workaround, and didn't have any problems yet.

In addition, the slowdown/small freezes on enemy attacks seem much rarer for me, too! It's a good patch.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I started playing Disgaea 4 Return this week. I don't know how much about it was already known, but if anyone has any questions on what is or isn't in it or what has or hasn't changed, I'll do my best to answer them. My Japanese isn't the best, though, so I might be missing some things.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

I started playing Disgaea 4 Return this week. I don't know how much about it was already known, but if anyone has any questions on what is or isn't in it or what has or hasn't changed, I'll do my best to answer them. My Japanese isn't the best, though, so I might be missing some things.

Can you still throw diagonally? Are the monsters magichange, mount or something new? And has character world made a comeback? I'm incapable of not buying a new disgaea game but it would be nice to know anyway :)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is it ever coming out in English :v: I've been waiting to play it until the Vita version comes out, I always end up playing the portable versions much more than the console ones.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
We've gotten every NIS port except Makai Kingdom and La Pucille, so it's pretty much guaranteed that this is getting localized since it being 90% old stuff makes it a quick buck for NIS America too.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Brasseye posted:

Can you still throw diagonally? Are the monsters magichange, mount or something new? And has character world made a comeback? I'm incapable of not buying a new disgaea game but it would be nice to know anyway :)

They didn't backport the free aim on throws from Disgaea D2, unfortunately, but the undocumented feature that lets you BS diagonal throws is still there. Not that that's much consolation. Magichange and fusion are both in there and work just like they always did, as far as I can tell. I haven't done enough reincarnation to get to the point where Character World would unlock yet, but I'd be astonished if it's gone.

Other possibly-interesting tidbits include: the class-specific unique attacks for generic humanoids are back. You can try to buy out a Senate vote with HL like in D2. And, most importantly, Fenrich now follows you as you run around the base. Or at least tries to. He tends to get stuck on corners.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Last Celebration posted:

We've gotten every NIS port except Makai Kingdom and La Pucille, so it's pretty much guaranteed that this is getting localized since it being 90% old stuff makes it a quick buck for NIS America too.

Uhh. Yes we have? I own copies of both of those games.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Not the PSP versions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Every NIS port. Trust me, if we'd gotten the PSP port of Makai Kingdom, I'd have jumped on that.

EDIT: Also for Disgaea 4 Returns, did they make Val's evilities any less broken? I doubt it but I'm curious.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I just want a portable version of Soul Nomad.

:smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I just want a portable version of Soul Nomad.

:smith:
Monkey's Paw: Vita remake, but only comes out in Japan.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

Monkey's Paw: Vita remake, but only comes out in Japan.

Nah, we could still import that. The REAL Monkey's Paw would be a 3DS remake that never leaves Japan.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

Every NIS port. Trust me, if we'd gotten the PSP port of Makai Kingdom, I'd have jumped on that.

Oh. :smith: I didn't even know they ported those two to a handheld.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

Also for Disgaea 4 Returns, did they make Val's evilities any less broken? I doubt it but I'm curious.

Nope, Bloody Battle is still 5% per kill by anyone on your team. But the unique skills that generics get are also unchanged from Absence of Detention, and some of those are just as ridiculous. That's like balance.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FractalSandwich posted:

Nope, Bloody Battle is still 5% per kill by anyone on your team. But the unique skills that generics get are also unchanged from Absence of Detention, and some of those are just as ridiculous. That's like balance.

Were those never put into Disgaea 4 proper?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Not as far as I know. I never played any of the DLC, though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I finished Disgaea 4 Return this evening. Disgaea 4 was definitely not balanced for the unique skills on generic characters from Absence of Detention and the promotion-without-reincarnation thing from D2. Without doing any grinding, I had my Lady Samurai at tier 3 for the final boss. With the +100% Attack buff from a Fighter, Soaring Nonuple killed him in one hit. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Picked up Disgaea 3 for very cheap and liking it a lot (outside the plot, but it's easily ignored). Had a couple of questions...

- I'm still going with the starting group of characters but I'd like to make a couple of new ones, any recommendations for monsters/classes that are good early to mid game? The only one I've made is a Thief which has been pretty handy (mainly due to speed), would like to try some others but there's a huge amount of options.

- Are there some good AOE skills for around the same period of the game? That's about the only thing I'm wishing I had at this point.

• Locked thread