Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Putrid Grin posted:

I have been trying to take some landscape photos during my Grand Canyon trip. The dynamic range of all the scenes was quite extreme. Need to work on my post and composition.

Grand Canyon by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Well loving done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

big scary monsters posted:

Hell yeah just booked flights, I'm going to Iceland at the end of the month. We're ostensibly going ice climbing but I'm taking my LF camera and I'll leave my ropes behind if I have to. I remember a couple of people here have been before, any advice on where to stay/eat/rent car/make photo etc.? Posting itt because I figure the whole country is made of sexy rocks.

Like everyone else is saying, you won't have any trouble finding places to shoot - the landscape changes dramatically every few miles, and you'll want to constantly stop to shoot as much as you can! You said you're going ice climbing... are you focusing on a specific area of the country, or do you have time to travel around? I can't recommend driving the ring road enough, but if you don't have enough time for the whole thing, the south side of the country is particularly incredible - it has Vik's beaches, Skaftafell's glaciers and Jökulsárlón's lagoon.

I was there in the off-season and most places to eat outside of Reykjavik and Akureyri were closed, so I'm not much help there... just don't miss the 'national food' (they're great)!

Be prepared to pay a lot for tiny cups of coffee.

And, if you want to buy anything made of wool, wait until Vik because everything was like 1/3rd the price of Reykjavik.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Mathturbator posted:

I took the eastern route of Route 1 from Reykjavik to approximately the South-East corner of Iceland, and that will take you past glaciers, black beaches, iceberg lakes and volcanoes.

We also ventured on route F208 to Landmannalaugar on my own in a rented 4WD, and in hindsight that may not be the smartest of ideas. We had to drive through dozens of streams, some wide and seemingly deep, and we did not see a single vehicle all day, so noone to ask for help if things went wrong. No cellphone signal either.

It does takes you through landscapes like this though:

and two minutes later you're driving through this:

The landscape and weather seems to change for every few miles, it is magical.

This was before I became interested in photography, so I dream of going back with a camera and plenty of time...
Wow, I am doubly excited now.

Gambl0r posted:

Like everyone else is saying, you won't have any trouble finding places to shoot - the landscape changes dramatically every few miles, and you'll want to constantly stop to shoot as much as you can! You said you're going ice climbing... are you focusing on a specific area of the country, or do you have time to travel around? I can't recommend driving the ring road enough, but if you don't have enough time for the whole thing, the south side of the country is particularly incredible - it has Vik's beaches, Skaftafell's glaciers and Jökulsárlón's lagoon.

I was there in the off-season and most places to eat outside of Reykjavik and Akureyri were closed, so I'm not much help there... just don't miss the 'national food' (they're great)!

Be prepared to pay a lot for tiny cups of coffee.

And, if you want to buy anything made of wool, wait until Vik because everything was like 1/3rd the price of Reykjavik.
Thanks for the tips! We are only there for six full days, but we're going to hire a camper for at least a few of those so that we can get around a bit without having to worry about finding somewhere to sleep out of season. Most of the ice climbing I know of is within about four hours of Reykjavik, but I think that's probably because that's where the majority of local climbers live; information in English is somewhat sparse. I think my friends will be pretty easily convinced to spend a bit more time driving to see cool places, that is after all why we're flying to Iceland for climbing rather than going somewhere more conventional like Cogne.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

big scary monsters posted:

Hell yeah just booked flights, I'm going to Iceland at the end of the month. We're ostensibly going ice climbing but I'm taking my LF camera and I'll leave my ropes behind if I have to. I remember a couple of people here have been before, any advice on where to stay/eat/rent car/make photo etc.? Posting itt because I figure the whole country is made of sexy rocks.

I went in August/September but I feel like this time of the year you will have a very different experience. All the questions you have asked really depend on your budget, I found it to be a pretty expensive location to visit but was able to do some things to make it cheaper. If you have any specific question send me a PM or ask on here.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I took an Alaska trip over the summer and lightroomed all my photos on the road without really publishing a lot of them. Since it's cold as heck outside and I'm too lazy to go shoot tonight, I started running through some of them again and getting them online:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Going to have about a million posts in here for the next week or so.

Pripyat by TomOlson, on Flickr

Pripyat Streets by TomOlson, on Flickr

Untitled by TomOlson, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

You shouldn't stand in anomalies.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

This week I practiced architectural photography.

Old Montgomery County Courthouse small by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Mr. Eggroll by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Mario's Pizza by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Stained Glass Window, St Michael's Staunton by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Doorway, St. Michael's Staunton by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Also ended up finding Mother Jones's grave.

Mother by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I hate editing on my laptop

P1080045.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P1080041.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Mont Saint-Michel by TomOlson, on Flickr

Prague Christmas Market by TomOlson, on Flickr

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Very nice! I was there too this fall

Still haven't figured out how to straighten the gif and keep it animated though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Shampoo posted:

Still haven't figured out how to straighten the gif and keep it animated though.
I just rotated each layer in Gimp, cropped and reexported, I'm sure there's a better way though.

Actually now I've uploaded it I think it still isn't quite straight.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Holy poo poo, does the tower really look like that at night? Looks like something straight out of Blingee.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

404notfound posted:

Holy poo poo, does the tower really look like that at night? Looks like something straight out of Blingee.

it does that once every hour I think? Certainly it's only a show that lasts a few minutes then it goes back to being just a tower.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

StarkingBarfish posted:

it does that once every hour I think? Certainly it's only a show that lasts a few minutes then it goes back to being just a tower.

You are correct.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Took this before we went searching from a warm meal during a province-wide blackout/blizzard.

DSC_0487.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Shampoo posted:

Reported to France for clear copyright violation. :snoop: Such a stupid law. Like that you made a gif from your trip. I never thought about doing that before.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

City of Light by TomOlson, on Flickr

Praha New Year by TomOlson, on Flickr

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Musket posted:

Reported to France for clear copyright violation. :snoop: Such a stupid law. Like that you made a gif from your trip. I never thought about doing that before.

Haha wait, you can't take a photo of the Eiffel tower?

I actually wasn't planning on making an animated .gif, but I accidentally set the camera to burst mode and I was like "wait a minute, that's a great idea!" and took the photo. I'll be doing it again in the future though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shampoo posted:

Haha wait, you can't take a photo of the Eiffel tower?

The lights specifically. They determined that the light show is a creative work and is therefore subject to copyright.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

xzzy posted:

The lights specifically. They determined that the light show is a creative work and is therefore subject to copyright.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in my life. I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but it is.

Cant remember if I've uploaded this one or not.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm French and I think it's the most ridiculous thing ever.

I've also broken the copyright numerous times.

Paris la Nuit by hookshot88, on Flickr

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Sexy?

The Rock. by benruset, on Flickr

This was my inspiration.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Are we back to sexy rocks now?

dongrock.jpg

(This took stitching as it was too big for 420mm in one go. Conscious effort was involved.)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

smokey sky by blinsaff, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Southwest Municipal Complex by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Kiev Protests by TomOlson, on Flickr

Kiev Protests by TomOlson, on Flickr

upstart
Oct 30, 2012

I've got this

Cambrige Bay, Nunavut - vista by theupstart, on Flickr

Vancouver seawalk by theupstart, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Desert plains by wholesome_, on Flickr

The Arrows Will Lead You To Beef by wholesome_, on Flickr

Patio view by wholesome_, on Flickr

Weathertop by wholesome_, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Just did a winter trip to yellowstone. If you're looking for a moderately expensive photography vacation and haven't seen yellowstone yet I highly recommend it, it's nearly deserted compared to the summer. And if you come in from the south you get the Tetons for free!

Yellowstone - Castle Geyser by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Yellowstone - Sawmill Geyser by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Yellowstone - Old Faithful by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I was surprised with a fancy new DSLR for christmas and now I spend my days wandering the barren outskirts of Vienna in search of things to shoot. Still have a hard time figuring out what makes for a good picture but here's some landscape stuff I've come up with. If anyone has any suggestions for improvement I'd love to hear them!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
The first 2 are pretty cool.

the 3rd one, and I find this a lot too, Probably looks awesome in person, but when you get home for post processing or uploading, you kind of see it's a no nothing photo.

Every time I'm on a cool hiking trail I take all these pictures of the trail and they almost always come out blaahh when the actually place looks so cool and photogenic.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Every time I'm on a cool hiking trail I take all these pictures of the trail and they almost always come out blaahh when the actually place looks so cool and photogenic.

I think this the most interesting thing that's happened to me over the years of taking photographs: it used to be that I would take pictures and be disappointed that they weren't reflecting the scene properly. I don't know if I wasn't seeing accurately before and photography has allowed me to see properly, or if I used to see accurately and I've come to see the world through the more limited vision of the camera.

I think it's the former, but either way I'm rarely surprised anymore when I get back and look at the photos I've taken. I now see those annoying aspects that the photo used to reveal to me; places where the scene itself is overexposed, or where detail is being lost. Even with scenes that were nicely lit, I'd often look at the photo of it and say, "That's not how it looked!" But that was how it looked, and I think I can see it now.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Tower Rock by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Inspiration Point by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Farmhouse by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Cape Girardeau by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
Another from Nepal.

Thoughts on the processing? Not 100% convinced on this but it's much better than my previous attempts. This has been a very hard shot to process.