Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sigma 6 posted:

Is there a way to get "real world units" in zbrush? For example change the transpose units to something less generic in the prefs? A big problem with all my CAD/craft friends is the scale and orientation issues when moving files back and forth. I know there is STL export in the 3d printer plugin with scale but I was hoping there was a way to do with the transpose tool, since now it is considered a measuring tool.
A cheater way: if you make something in Max/Maya to scale, and import that base geometry to Zbrush it will stay in that scale unless you use transpose/deformation tools to make it bigger. This won't change the units that transpose or anything else works in, but at least you know the pillar you're working on came from a .max file and if the base fits, the high-poly will too.

It may also look super small in Zbrush. Or maybe super huge, it's Zbrush you will have to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to add an additive spheremap in 3ds Max. Basically I want to fake a rim light, so I have a square image that is a black circle almost to the edges, with a grey around the edge. I want to make it so any normal facing away from the camera at an extreme angle gets lit up with an additive blend. I can do this at work in-engine no problem but in Max I'm a bit stumped!

I have made a composite material, set the blend on it to additive which seems to work but then set that material in the coordinates menu to be Environ then Spherican Environment but it doesn't seem to do anything. My model is all black. When I render it I can see a random straight lined section that is lighter but that's it.

Any help?

Edit: It appears to be possibly something to do with the uvmap channel but when I select environment map it greys it out?

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 1, 2014

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Not trying to be daft, but this sounds like exactly what the falloff map does (perp/parallel shading) that you could probably even layer to control the "location" of a faked rim light.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks I'll look in to that, I didn't know about it. I want to get it in to unity but that might work well for some renders.

Is there a way to combine a falloff material with another diffuse map? If I use falloff on it's own it seems to work but if I use it with a composite it doesn't seem to show up. Sorry I'm not used to working with max materials.

Edit 2: It seems to work now. thanks!

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 1, 2014

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.
Cubicle Gangster: Yes, I guess that is a pretty valid point.
I'll come back when I have some basic proof of concept up.

DancingPenguin fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 2, 2014

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
You're best actually building something as a proof of concept first. Nobody here knows if you can pull it off, you don't really sell it well.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys I'm looking to get some texturing software as I want to see what all the fuss is about. I was looking in to Ndo2 and ddo which look great, but I just saw Steam has Substance Designer going for a similar price. Does anyone have a favourite between the two or one I haven't heard of?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Depends on what you want to do. Ndo2 is good for making normal maps without having to bake anything. Ddo is good for procedural texturing (all maps Diffuse, Spec, Gloss, etc), similar to Substance Designer except Substance Designer is node based.

If you're talking about diffuse-only painting, I use 3DCoat for that. It also has pretty drat good retopo tools.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Just game assets really so yes to normals and specs etc. Node-based seems to be a good way to go as many engines use a node-based system right?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Usually if it's an engine using nodes it's based around shaders not actual textures. Substance Designer has some limitations right now where I believe you can't export a PSD of your substance setup so if a client needs psds and doesn't have substance you're screwed. Wait for Substance Painter and PSD support if you plan on buying it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If I'm modeling a character who's wearing a stocking, should I just fake the stocking with texture maps or actually model and skin/wrap deform a stocking mesh to the leg geo? I want it to look really good, as close to feature quality as possible.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Stocking material is so fine and thin that in my opinion it's not worth physically modeling. If it's a solid nylon pattern, the best way you'll get it to look like stockings is to make sure that it gets darker at the edges of the mesh based on the camera angle. I believe it's one of very few objects that are almost a reverse fresnel shader.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Well, here it is, i'm at the point where working on a new thing for my folio would give better returns on the time i'm putting in and feel like calling it done even though some things are still kinda iffy. What do you guys think? Should I put something better or can I keep it in?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I liked the last version you had. The weird noisy specular you have on doesnt do much besides really distracting from the modelling itself.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, I think it's a bit too noisy now that I look at it with other eyes. I'll try a tweak or two tomorrow and repost it here for more comments.

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

:ese::saddowns:
Did you remove some/all of the AO? The back legs in particular look really lacking in detail. On the one you had with the checkerboard you could definitely make out a lot of the nice little bits a lot more clearly. If you're going for metal maybe try some anisotropy luminance on it? I really like the model, it would be great to see it polished off.

Has anyone ever had any experience with Arbaro and C4D? I made one tree model and exported it as an OBJ - I made the leaves all square and the UVs seemed to work so that I could use alphas to make the leaf shapes, but after that first tree anything I export has really messed up UVs and I can't align anything at all.

OtherCubed fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 7, 2014

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Here's the new version, i'm much happier with it. Some stuff isn't perfect but i'm more content with it now though.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Purchased ZBrush. First sculpt. Really like Dynamesh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 10, 2014

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That looks really cool.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

Odddzy posted:

Here's the new version, i'm much happier with it. Some stuff isn't perfect but i'm more content with it now though.

This owns. I've always wanted to make stuff like this

Eventually I'll work my way up from Coke cans

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

low quality jpeg posted:

This owns. I've always wanted to make stuff like this

Eventually I'll work my way up from Coke cans

Thanks man, fortunately for me, the guys in this thread are super helpful and doing stuff like this would be much harder without their help and tips.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I got a chance to do some trailers for Ransom Rigg's upcoming book "Hollow City" (his sequel to "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"). Well "trailers" is a prettly loose term...they're meant to be little character vignettes. They were pretty fun. Super tight budgets and timelines, but they came out ok.

Ransom wrote up the treatments, I directed them and did all the VFX except for the matte painting. I composited and tracked it and all that, but I had a friend paint it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fc1FLa9rvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IlWJU6EmIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKn01t0uYyo

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cool stuff! The lighting is very nice and the bee flocking or particle effects thing was nicely done.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ccs posted:

Cool stuff! The lighting is very nice and the bee flocking or particle effects thing was nicely done.

Thanks! There's a ton of stuff in there that makes me cringe and I wish I would have had time to improve. That's a big lesson to learn (especially when doing the majority of the work yourself) ... just to let go and say "it's gotta be called done" and move on to the next deadline.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
I made a faucet

and some pillows

to put in my house.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Handiklap posted:

I made a faucet

and some pillows

to put in my house.

Looking good, if a bit sterile!

Also if you're playing god, why give yourself an OG 360 and Wii? Time to step up!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

BonoMan posted:

Looking good, if a bit sterile!

Also if you're playing god, why give yourself an OG 360 and Wii? Time to step up!

Current-gen tchotchke modeling engage!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Handiklap posted:

I made a faucet

and some pillows

to put in my house.

I'd really love to take an Oculus Rift and explore a house like this. I wonder how feasible it is, with real-time limitations considerations.

Edit: werds

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 14, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Faucets dont go in living rooms! :mad:

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm getting a strange issue in 3ds max right now, when making a Vraymtl. When adjusting the value for the glossy map in the maps rollout, the resulting image goes in the opposite direction for some reason. So if I lower the gloss map from 100 to 50, the resulting texture gets a lot glossier instead of getting less glossy, and it this doesn't happen with any other of the maps. Anybody know anything about this?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
it's because it mixes it with the glossy value in the material - the default value of which is 1. that's a percentage value of how much to apply the map over what's underneath it - every max material works the same way.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Almost embarrassed to post this but it was only a few hours work / doodling in zbrush. ( Look Ma. No ears! )

I forgot how to apply different materials to different subtools.

Color -> fill object will fill the object but every time I do that to a different subtool, it just shows me everything in that material. I know there is a way to fill each subtool with a different material. Right?

BonoMan: Those FX look pretty good man!!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 15, 2014

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

I forgot how to apply different materials to different subtools.

Color -> fill object will fill the object but every time I do that to a different subtool, it just shows me everything in that material. I know there is a way to fill each subtool with a different material. Right?

BonoMan: Those FX look pretty good man!!

That fills the material, you just can't see the difference unless you select a different material. When you do, that subtool should stay the same while the other ones change to the material you select. Oh, and you have to have M or RGBM (in the RGB/M/RGBM area) selected for it to apply materials. Otherwise you're just filling with color/polypaint info.

If you ever want to clear a material off a subtool so you can easily preview materials again, fill it with the Flat Color material. I don't know why they did it that way.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

That fills the material, you just can't see the difference unless you select a different material. When you do, that subtool should stay the same while the other ones change to the material you select. Oh, and you have to have M or RGBM (in the RGB/M/RGBM area) selected for it to apply materials. Otherwise you're just filling with color/polypaint info.

If you ever want to clear a material off a subtool so you can easily preview materials again, fill it with the Flat Color material. I don't know why they did it that way.

You can also go to Polypaint>Off in the ZTools menu. I do this when I need to fill my tools with a flat black material to check it's silhouette, but don't actually want to clear the mats.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Thanks guys. I feel like a dumbass. I didn't have the M or RGBM button on before going to color -> fill object.

:ohdear:

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Questions about Sculptris for anyone that knows:

1) I understand it's free. Can one person install it multiple times? Or is the installation, while free, also regulated by a registration code of some time?

2) Does sculptris have file compatibility with zbrush- can I take models back and forth, or at least could I take them from zbrush into sculptris?

Thanks in advance.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

Questions about Sculptris for anyone that knows:

1) I understand it's free. Can one person install it multiple times? Or is the installation, while free, also regulated by a registration code of some time?

2) Does sculptris have file compatibility with zbrush- can I take models back and forth, or at least could I take them from zbrush into sculptris?

Thanks in advance.

Zbrush only imports/exports via .obj afaik, haven't used sculptris but I would assume it can I/O .obj.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

EoinCannon posted:

Zbrush only imports/exports via .obj afaik, haven't used sculptris but I would assume it can I/O .obj.

I'm sorry I'm super exhausted, I guess I also wanted to know if it would import .ztl or not, and if materials would carry over.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

.ztl is zbrush's internal format for storing objects. AFAIK though, they do not carry material/colour info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
New robot guy i've been working on using the tutorials Cubicle Gangster showed here. he has some kind of bag at his base that I've modeled but still need to texture.