Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson's water cannon request for the Met police – Theresa May rejects request for funds, letter to London mayor reveals"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Mail:
"Channel 4 has been reprimanded for screening a programme in which shoplifters show the tricks of their trade."

quote:

“Wayne. Come quick! There’s a bloke on telly showing you how to nick things.”

Express:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
In this strip, the role of Britannia will be played by David Bowie.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

MirrorCameron knows where you live!

Laughing at the Paul McCartney in the upper right.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

goatface posted:

In this strip, the role of Britannia will be played by David Bowie.

Thought it was Sandi Toksvig at first.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Labour/Lib Dem love-in - Ed Balls has started speaking warmly, almost fondly, of Nick Clegg"

Telegraph:

Referring to a recent drama TV series.

Independent:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

He's a sock? Floating in a dark sea? What am I missing here?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think he's a discarded condom.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think he's supposed to be a used condom.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That makes a lot more sense and I should have seen that. It's even got the hair as the tip.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Mr. Squishy posted:

He's a sock? Floating in a dark sea? What am I missing here?

'[Clegg] was also asked about London Mayor Boris Johnson's depiction of him as "David Cameron's lapdog-cum-prophylactic protection device". "This was on my birthday. I have had nicer birthday wishes than that, I can tell you," he said.'

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Plebgate - New twist in the saga involving Andrew Mitchell and Downing Street police officers"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Gilbert Rogers.

Stephen Collins:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

:drat: drat man!

That is also a play on Mark Duggan which is pretty hard to cover everything but police pretty much got a 'lawful killing' of an unarmed man (who may or maynot have had a gun in a sock that he thrown 30 foot before/after being shot which has none of his dna, and police were changing their story throughout the timeline).

Fluo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 11, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Meanwhile, at No 11 - Chris Riddell on the chancellor's latest call for further sacrifices"

Sunday Telegraph:

Army recruitment a 'big challenge'

Independent on Sunday:

Mark Duggan death: Hundreds gather for Tottenham vigil

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Bit of visual "poor man in the middle, bullied by both sides" by the indie there. Is it just me?

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

nuzak posted:

Bit of visual "poor man in the middle, bullied by both sides" by the indie there. Is it just me?

Also note that justice is only on the side of white MPs.

A Bad Cartoon.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Also note that justice is only on the side of white MPs.

A Bad Cartoon.

To be fair, justice literally was only on the side of white MPs in this case.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, that Justice is pretty obviously the courts, rather than the ideal of Justice.

nuzak posted:

Yeah, seems like. Look at how innocent/gormless PC Plod is.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Iain Duncan Smith and migrant benefits - The work and pensions secretary has said that he is working with Italy, Germany, the Netherlands and Finland to attack 'benefit tourism'"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Express:

I :h: TRAVEL

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know why but "Bag for Wife X" is really funny to me. Also I see they offer fox hunting tours to their richer clients.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

I :h: TRAVEL

Bag for Wife X

Why does every Express cartoon have everyone's eyes so wide open like they are surprised by the littlest thing?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Picture of phone on rectangle = phone

Stubble, cap = immigrant

Bag for wife = bag for wife

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Whoops, quote's not edit

Extreme0 posted:

Bag for Wife X

Why does every Express cartoon have everyone's eyes so wide open like they are surprised by the littlest thing?

Those are the common good people of England, except when they have stubble which makes them a Romanian immigrant.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Extreme0 posted:

Bag for Wife X

They're mindless pod people i.e. the Express readership

Loving the horrified Farage :allears:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Here's Rowson's take on graphic novels & the 1990 Glasgow Comic Arts Convention for the Indy Arts pages, ages ago:

Martin Rowson is also one of the people doing the How To Crate A Graphic Novel Seminar on the (Sunday) 26th January for you artistic types out there. :)

quote:

An endlessly versatile artform which places no limits on the ambition of the storyteller, it has produced masterpieces as varied as Alan Moore's legendary Watchmen and the groundbreaking graphic journalism of Joe Sacco's Palestine.

Curated by graphic novel publisher SelfMadeHero, this in-depth full-day seminar covers everything you could need to know, from the history of the artform to the mechanics of getting published. With tutors including the award-winning writer Toby Litt, cartoonist Martin Rowson, comic book critic and historian Paul Gravett and acclaimed graphic novelist Karrie Fransman, you'll learn about the unique possibilities the format offers and how to plan and execute a project. The day also includes a primer on the realities of the graphic novel industry, making this an ideal all-round course for budding writers who'd like to try their hand at a graphic novel script.

Speaker profiles

SelfMadeHero is a publisher of the finest fiction, biography, history and humour in the graphic novel medium that showcases leading authors and artists from around the world: from the quirky and humorous to the political and profound.

Martin Rowson is an author and artist. One of Britain's best-loved cartoonists, he is a regular contributor to the Guardian, the Daily Mirror and The Morning Star. Rowson is the author of several graphic novels, including adaptations of Tristram Shandy (SelfMadeHero) and Gulliver's Travels (Atlantic Books). His prose books include The Dog Allusion: Gods, Pets and How to be Human and the memoir Stuff. In 2001 Rowson was named London's 'Cartoon Laureate' by the Mayor Ken Livingstone.

Paul Gravett is Britain's best-known comic book critic and historian and author of many books, including 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die and Great British Comics. His latest book is Comics Art (Tate Publishing).

Karrie Fransman has created comics for The Guardian, The Times, The Telegraph, The New Statesman, Time Out and Psychologies Magazine. Her acclaimed graphic novel, The House That Groaned, is published by Random House's Square Peg imprint. She led the London Print Studio's excellent graphic novel course in 2011 and 2012.

Toby Litt is a novelist and short story writer. His books, published in alphabetical order, include Exhibitionism, Hospital and King Death. In 2013, Vertigo DC launched Dead Boy Detectives - a new monthly comic written by Toby, based on characters from Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. He is a Senior Lecturer in creative writing at Birkbeck College, University of London, and often reviews books for The Guardian.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 13, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Rowson did this one for twitter:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Scarfe

Who's the third dog? I don't recognize him and can't read the collar at this resolution.
e: lol I just googled Gerald Scarfe to make sure I spelled the name right, and all of the image results are of that "Bibi as bricklayer" picture.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Scarfe

Who's the third dog? I don't recognize him and can't read the collar at this resolution.
e: lol I just googled Gerald Scarfe to make sure I spelled the name right, and all of the image results are of that "Bibi as bricklayer" picture.

Looks like "Enoch" (Powell) to me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You're right. Thin moustache, quiff, and I can decipher the collar now that I know what I'm looking at. It's still a bit odd; the man's been dead for 16 years!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's a pretty good likeness!

He's in the news because Farage has come out as a bit of a fan

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Geokinesis posted:

Rowson did this one for twitter:

Holy poo poo

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's 'going all out for shale' message - Environmentalists say prime minister's plan to grant councils 100% of business rates from fracking amounts to a bribe"

Telegraph:

Obesity crisis: Future projections 'underestimated'

Independent:

Times:

Golden Globes.

Mail:
"A report claims that obesity in the UK is worse than previously thought."

quote:

“It’s either that last bowl of chips or they’ve started fracking under the house.”

Express:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
For some reason I find that sign more insulting than his normal labels. No Paul, I could not guess that person's professional capacity from context. Please also label 'burger', 'fox tail', and 'do not sympathize with this bad person' for me next time.

Unless 'Doctor' is the practitioner's last name. Sounds foreign to me.

The patient has stubble too. Romanian health tourists? :ohdear:

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

The doctor isn't looking too slim himself.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Romanian health tourists? :ohdear:

Haha yes come to Britain for its 'health'.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on François Hollande – Journalists posed clever questions about president's alleged relationship with Julie Gayet, but the subject remained off limits" After Manet.

Telegraph:

Labour leader Ed Miliband: Middle class facing crisis After Mr. Benn.

Independent:

Times:

After Delacroix

Mail:
"MPs have splashed over £250. 000. on portraits of themselves."

quote:

“Do you think taxpayers might stump up an extra thirty quid….for a fig leaf?”

Express:

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
I may have found Rowson's favourite piece of modern art.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God loving drat it; I could almost forgive the fact this man gets paid work as a cartoonist if he could just draw someone, anyone, without the thousand yard stare. It's like he sees only a world filled with vacant corpses.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

God loving drat it; I could almost forgive the fact this man gets paid work as a cartoonist if he could just draw someone, anyone, without the thousand yard stare. It's like he sees only a world filled with vacant corpses.

Sounds like a pretty good description of the Daily Express office I should think.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I see the only time people talk about us it's when sex is involved :v:

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I see the only time people talk about us it's when sex is involved :v:

You guys (French?) are doing a poor job of throwing off your reputation as a bunch of amorous love rats with these last two presidents.

At least Berlusconi was only one man, so ridiculous that he transcended being portrayed as an extension of an Italian stereotype because it was tamer than the reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Weldon Pemberton posted:

You guys (French?) are doing a poor job of throwing off your reputation as a bunch of amorous love rats with these last two presidents.

At least Berlusconi was only one man, so ridiculous that he transcended being portrayed as an extension of an Italian stereotype because it was tamer than the reality.

They are but amateurs compared to Felix Faure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Faure

quote:

Faure died suddenly from apoplexy in the Élysée Palace on 16 February 1899, at a critical juncture while engaged in sexual activities in his office with 30-year-old Marguerite Steinheil.

:france:

• Locked thread