Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Not a picture. A video.

This happened to my unlucky rear end while driving home this evening. Minding my own business and then "Where the gently caress did the road go?!?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3UYO54nvCM

Luckily it was a nice day and I already had the windows down. It must have looked like a Cheech and Chong movie from behind.

Only saving grace is I had just topped that hill at the beginning of the video and from there it's down hill 6 blocks to my house. I coasted into my driveway with steam pouring out the windows and little momentum to spare. I'd been smelling a bit of coolant on the drive home but I saw steam pouring from a Kia in front of me on the freeway and thought it was them. Sadly, it was me too.

Someone grabbed a pic of me coasting home.

I had the heater core replaced on this thing <2 years ago. This is not cool. I don't have the money to pay 8 hours labor for someone else to do it so I get to waste a weekend replacing a $35 part that should have lasted 20 years like the previous one. I should do the blower motor while I'm in there but that's around $200/new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

OTOH how many people routinely leave the house in the morning with enough time to go around the perimeter of their car door breaking through a layer of ice without loving up the paint (especially if, like most people, you store your deicing equipment in your car)?

Like someone else said, if your car has a layer of ice thick enough to prevent the door from opening you should probably just call off. Most managers will understand that you don't control the weather.

What I've done in the past is smack the ice with the pinky size of my fist. Easiest if you hit a hollow spot so the door flexes and the ice breaks off. You can also soften the ice up a bit by resting your palm against it.

But either way, once you get the process started it goes pretty quick. Just gotta work your way around the seam of the door until enough ice is gone that you can pull it open. Then once you get the defroster going it's just a matter of sitting and waiting for the windows to heat up enough that you can clear them off.

If the water seeped into the weather sealing and then froze you're pretty well hosed though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Kill-9 posted:

heater core :words:

the parts market for rovers has gone to poo poo. if it has the britpart logo, it may as well be shitpart.
Try stuffing some american/GM copper core in it this time. :D

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

I don't really do Reddit, but someone linked me to this album: http://imgur.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop

Man, those outer pinion bearings are hosed to have given it that much of a self clearance fit. It must have pulled the pinion at least 1/8" into the diff.

xzzy posted:

What I've done in the past is smack the ice with the pinky size of my fist. Easiest if you hit a hollow spot so the door flexes and the ice breaks off. You can also soften the ice up a bit by resting your palm against it.

But either way, once you get the process started it goes pretty quick. Just gotta work your way around the seam of the door until enough ice is gone that you can pull it open. Then once you get the defroster going it's just a matter of sitting and waiting for the windows to heat up enough that you can clear them off.

If the water seeped into the weather sealing and then froze you're pretty well hosed though.

A bucket of hot water can help a lot. Or if you're working with an old pitted/chipped windshield, even just warm water, or room temperature, as long as it isn't ridiculously cold out.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

kastein posted:

Man, those outer pinion bearings are hosed to have given it that much of a self clearance fit. It must have pulled the pinion at least 1/8" into the diff.

A bucket of hot water can help a lot.

HOLY MOLY do not do this unless you're about to immediately drive to a different climate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm always afraid to try water because I'm not sure what capacity auto glass has to tolerate sudden temperature shifts. I'd guess regular cold tap water would be fine, but I really don't feel like being a test dummy for it.

I've cracked a windshield running the defroster and stuff like that makes me a little gunshy. :v:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

the parts market for rovers has gone to poo poo. if it has the britpart logo, it may as well be shitpart.
Try stuffing some american/GM copper core in it this time. :D

You happen to know what American copper ones will fit in a Classic? I don't want to do this job ever again.

From what I understand the story is: One day Land Rover placed a heater core in an empty room. Then they built a Range Rover around it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Not offhand. I'll dig around and see what I can find though.
RRC heater cores are a right of passage to ownership.

with that said, gently caress doing them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Polymerized Cum posted:

HOLY MOLY do not do this unless you're about to immediately drive to a different climate.

I've done it, and it worked. You do have to be careful though, if you pour water on it and wait too long, it will just freeze the drat door on more solidly. If you get in and crank the heat though it will be fine.

Or if you just dry the door seal and the spot it presses against off with a towel once you get the door open.

xzzy posted:

I'm always afraid to try water because I'm not sure what capacity auto glass has to tolerate sudden temperature shifts. I'd guess regular cold tap water would be fine, but I really don't feel like being a test dummy for it.

I've cracked a windshield running the defroster and stuff like that makes me a little gunshy. :v:

Same, sucks doesn't it? :suicide:

It was before I even owned my truck... the owner (friend of mine) and I had just finished putting a new thermostat in it. The old one was stuck wide open and it was running at 120 degrees on the highway and getting something like 9mpg. We threw it in and (since our fingers were completely nonfunctional from the cold at that point) took it for a test drive to get it up to temp and warm our hands up. Got to a stop light, realized the heat was starting to work, cranked the defrost to 11, then the drat windshield cracked straight across almost from one side to the other.

That experience is exactly why I put the warning about pitted or cracked windshields in. It sucked.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Every summer I spray a little bit of silicone grease and rub it into the rubber of the seals as part of the winterization prep for each car. I dunno if it really helps but it feels like it does.

This year I had a new car, got busy on the run-up to winter and didn't bother doing it and now I have rear doors that won't unlock and sometimes freeze shut. I need to grease so many things this spring..

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
DO NOT USE HOT WATER!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Geirskogul posted:

DO NOT USE HOT WATER!

We need to determine the exact level of thermal shock that a windshield can handle.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Maybe not a car but definitely a hell of a failure. Probably also involved some goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vm8Or_Yw5o

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I liked the guy at the end of that blindly staring at the mig welder. Probably got home and wondered who tipped a truck load of sand into his eyes

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The one shielding the arc with his hand?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Patton Oswalt and Jerry Seinfeld go for a ride in a DeLorean, which shits itself. Looks like all the coolant starts pouring from the exhaust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0S0PBUgDs

(3 minutes in)

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

ultimateforce posted:

The one shielding the arc with his hand?

It looks to me like he has a little viewing window in his hand.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Ferremit posted:

I liked the guy at the end of that blindly staring at the mig welder.

You mean the same guy who was using the angle grinder with no guard or eye protection?

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

Sudo Echo posted:

It looks to me like he has a little viewing window in his hand.

He's recording video with his phone, hence the closeup footage, and looking at the phone screen.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Polymerized Cum posted:

It works if you're really in a pinch. But I prefer a heat gun.

You can actually prevent this happening by coating the door seal in silicone, although if there is a continuous sheet of ice covering the panel gap then you'll still need to melt it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I've heard that closing the door on some oversized plastic sheet will prevent ice from sealing around the door. But maybe you will just end up with plastic sheeting iced into your door, making your car look as ridiculous as it is unusable.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Polyethylene or any other "low surface energy" plastic (teflon, delrin, etc etc) would work, the whole idea is to make it so the water won't really stick to it and neither will the ice.

If you aren't extremely careful about wrinkles though, all you'll do is form nice little channels that will let rainwater into the car.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

DO NOT USE HOT WATER!

My mom used to do this, but it was in texas so it only happened once or twice each decade, and cold down there is nothing. On the other hand, in Kansas my sister's Cavalier split its windshield from just running the defroster one morning.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Colonel Sanders posted:

My mom used to do this, but it was in texas so it only happened once or twice each decade, and cold down there is nothing. On the other hand, in Kansas my sister's Cavalier split its windshield from just running the defroster one morning.

If it was a J-body, it was probably just biding its time; waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Colonel Sanders posted:

My old Cavalier cracked the dashboard one night while cornering hard. Those cars have tremendous flex basically everywhere.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hey

Hey Subaru

gently caress you, Subaru

E; yes, I know the belt is still on the alternator, I wasn't actually trying to remove it for the picture

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 11, 2014

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That bolt is comically long.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Replace it with all-thread for the next guy.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Uh, what is going on there?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Couldn't you remove that black plastic hose guide (?) or does the alternator bolt have another three inches before it clears?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The hose guide is part of the electric fan. He could just remove the electric fan. Later subies have slotted alternator mounts so you don't have to remove the bolt.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah it's just incredibly obnoxious, all they would have had to do to avoid the problem entirely is move that bracket a half inch in either direction, but no, you gotta pull the fans if you want to remove the alternator.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

A followup to my heater core exploding last week.

All fixed with parts I had lying around the garage. I no longer have heat in the cab but Texas winters are pretty mild. I might wanna swap to copper instead of galvanized pipe sections if I'm going to leave it any length of time. I'm not planning on leaving it like that for long though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Kill-9 posted:

A followup to my heater core exploding last week.

The rights of Land Rover ownership passage.....

Do you have the 3.9 or the 4.2? Once the weather breaks and I have some extra cash, I gotta do something about my 3.5 in my truck.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The rights of Land Rover ownership passage.....

Do you have the 3.9 or the 4.2? Once the weather breaks and I have some extra cash, I gotta do something about my 3.5 in my truck.

I replaced the 3.9 with a cammed 4.2 two years ago. When the new engine went in a new heater core was done at that point as it was just easier to do it with the engine out. Heater cores should last more than 2 years IMO. The shop that did it agrees but also agrees that it's out of warranty. *sigh*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
No picture, but we had a guy with a Honda Ridgeline come in today sounding like a helicopter.

Blew out the #2 spark plug which had promptly chewed up the cooling fan and smashed into the radiator hard enough to bend it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Wait, how the hell did the spark plug hit the radiator fan? Did it swing around wildly by the plug wire, or are those things transverse mount or something?

Oh, and that heater core explosion and repair reminds me of the time I was driving to a concert in Boston in my crapcan 98 cherokee. The heater core had been leaking a little for a while, so I usually drove it with the windows open (even in the winter... god that sucked) and suddenly it decided to finish itself off. Steam everywhere, so I'm driving down the pike like Ace Ventura. Fortunately the next exit was the one for rt30 and there is a Home Depot less than a mile from the highway, so I bought a flat blade screwdriver, a pair of channel-locks, two copper stubouts and fixed it in the parking lot. Still made it to the concert, gotta love ghetto heater core bypasses using home plumbing supplies :v:

I don't know why I put up with a slightly leaking heater core for like a year and no heat for another year and a half, when I finally sacked up and replaced it, it took me a whopping 4 hours.

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 14, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
with the ridgeline, think accord but with a different body.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Wait, how the hell did the spark plug hit the radiator fan? Did it swing around wildly by the plug wire, or are those things transverse mount or something?

Middle cylinder nearest the radiator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
The Ridgeline is for people who can't be seen driving an Odyssey.