Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Paradoxish posted:

I don't know if I missed everyone talking about it or what, but Hoplite is a really good game, you guys. It's a stripped down, puzzle-y roguelike. The gameplay is sort of 868-HACKish in its extreme minimalism and it has the same mechanics-based puzzler feel to it. For $2 I really can't recommend it enough.

This is absolutely true, it's a really good game. I'd say it feels more satisfying than most puzzly-roguelikes, to me - stuff like Desktop Dungeons just ends up feeling like a boring puzzle game, but the way movement and combat work together in Hoplite means it feels as satisfying to murder things as roguelikes with dice and stuff. Pocket Tactics gave it five stars. The screen's maybe a tiny bit too cramped on my phone, but I have big fingers and still haven't had any problems playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

chrisoya posted:

This is absolutely true, it's a really good game. I'd say it feels more satisfying than most puzzly-roguelikes, to me - stuff like Desktop Dungeons just ends up feeling like a boring puzzle game, but the way movement and combat work together in Hoplite means it feels as satisfying to murder things as roguelikes with dice and stuff. Pocket Tactics gave it five stars. The screen's maybe a tiny bit too cramped on my phone, but I have big fingers and still haven't had any problems playing it.

I enjoyed Hoplite, but not for very long. The early game (pretty much before 15) is pretty easy and the fun pretty much starts after that, making it kind of sloggy for a coffee break roguelike. I loved it at first but got bored quick.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Pladdicus posted:

I enjoyed Hoplite, but not for very long. The early game (pretty much before 15) is pretty easy and the fun pretty much starts after that, making it kind of sloggy for a coffee break roguelike. I loved it at first but got bored quick.

It really gets good when you start experimenting with different builds. There's so many abilities you can get from the altars. I go back to it at least once a day.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
Everytime I hear someone raving about Hoplite I look at the screenshots and think "Really?"

But then I think "Hey I love Dominions 3 on PC so maybe I should give it a chance."

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Stormfang1502 posted:

Everytime I hear someone raving about Hoplite I look at the screenshots and think "Really?"

But then I think "Hey I love Dominions 3 on PC so maybe I should give it a chance."

That's exactly what I thought too, it's great though.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Battle Supremacy looks pretty good. Wondering if any of you have some opinions on it to share before I spend the 5 bucks.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Has anyone tried Blocky Roads? I have it on my ipad mini retina and the framerate just seems choppy. I have tried the game in my nexus 7 2013 and it's so fluid... I even reset my ipad and only installed that app, still choppy. Anyone have that problem? Thanks.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pladdicus posted:

I think it's worth its asking price, and it's an instant pick up if it hits a dollar. It's barely a roguelike actually and more like a tactical puzzle game. It's really easy to pick up and understand, though it's not that deep, so it doesn't take that much time before you start figuring out your optimized battle strategy. Still though, it's really fun and super easy to jump in and out of. If you're an old and you played Daleks/Robots a bunch, you'll love the poo poo out of this.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
In Hoplite, what decides if I attack when moving toward a footman? In the tutorial I remember leaping between two and attacking both in the same turn but that never works when I try it in-game.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

In Hoplite, what decides if I attack when moving toward a footman? In the tutorial I remember leaping between two and attacking both in the same turn but that never works when I try it in-game.

If you still have your spear, moving towards a dude attacks. If you've thrown it, you can only attack by moving around a demon.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
So, those acquainted with my posts in this thread will know my thoughts on Infinity Blade 1 and 2. I've reached the point in Infinity Blade 3 after playing off and on for 3 weeks where I figure I'd share some of my thoughts in a huge gently caress-off wall of text:
  • The most common question: "do I need to buy and play the first (or second) game before this one?"-- well, before all else, 3 is the best in the series so far, without question. If you're concerned about the story of the first two, such as it is, this TouchArcade article has you covered.
  • As far as gameplay, the mainstay of it is identical across all three games, though weapon classes (light/heavy/dual) in 2 added (optional, welcome) complexity. The difference from second to third gameplay-wise is almost nothing at the core level. Accordingly, at this point I would recommend trying 1 only if it is free (which is occasionally is) and likewise for 2 (which is rarely is). On the other hand, your practice in 1 and/or 2 will carry over to 3.
  • You have two characters in 3, which means two stat loadouts and twice as much gear to buy and grind experience with. Thankfully, each character has different "perks" tied to points invested in each stat, giving the leveling-up process between the two a layer of strategy. Also, it's a welcome mechanical addition to actually have you balance your character(s) compared to 1 and 2. You can respec at any time for a relatively nominal fee in the new secondary currency (Battle Chips).
  • With respect to Isa's perks, you will want to get each of the first column ASAP. Shield perks are otherwise not really that useful, with the exception of the 25-point Gem Fusion Speed which is nice later on but not necessary if you're patient. Focus instead on first getting to 50 points (i.e. Lock Pick III) on the Magic perks, as that tree completed will allow you to open most of the locked chests you encounter in levels for free (with Isa only). Next I would concentrate on getting to 100 points in Health-- having free gem removal will save you lots of money in the long run and makes you much more flexible. After that, start sinking everything into Attack until you max out at 150 points with Gem Master which will speed up your currency grind by giving you high-value gems faster and cheaper. Lastly, you can throw points into Magic, but I am currently level 90 with Isa and most of the equipment in the game mastered once and I am just about to hit 100 points-- you probably won't make it to High Sorceress unless you love the game and play it for quite a while.
  • Siris's perks are much less useful overall than Isa's for the metagame, but there's still some that are worthwhile. You'll want to get his first perks in Attack and Shield, then aim for the second Health perk Battle Challenges to start earning bonus Battle Chips for some fights. The third Shield perk Merchant Speed is useful to offload your mastered equipment more often. From there, it's up to you, but you will probably want to max out Health and Attack perks, and get 5/6 of Shield and Magic, with your extra points afterwards going into Magic (the last shield perk really doesn't seem worthwhile, potions are not that great).
  • Make your way through the story missions as quickly as you can until you unlock the Gem Cutter and the Blacksmith. You will want to start using their services ASAP. You will eventually want to unlock 3 of the 5 gem fusion slots (and also the 4th one Isa's level 5 Attack perk gives) but you won't need but the first one for the Blacksmith (and possibly the second slot Siris's 5th Attack perk gives you). Upgrading at the Blacksmith is expensive and time consuming where gem fusion is much less so and generally quicker. You can revisit missions later on to grind, and each completion advances you 3-4 hours on the game clock (and refreshes gems in the store), advancing your gem fusion and blacksmithing for you, so wait to grind until you can benefit from that.
  • For gems, you will want to always buy at least the 2 (sometimes 3) diamond-shaped elemental defense gems each Awakening. 3 elemental defense gems gives you one 5% rainbow defense gem. 3 5% rainbow defense gems gives you a 10%, and 3 10%s give you a 25%. 3 25%s gives you a 50% and three 50%s gives you the best possible rainbow defense which is really handy to have. I also generally tend to buy any gems that are $10K or under each Awakening and fuse them. Eventually with time you will make gems that sell for $300K.
  • The dragon is basically a randomly encountered quicktime fest where you try to lower its hitpoints as much as possible. If it gets away, the damage sticks until next time. Your rewards for beating it the first two times are two really good gems so keep at it. It has rainbow defense so switch to your highest attack loadout when you see an empty field with no titan in it.
  • The arena is an area you can only play once per 24 hours. Chances are on the hardest difficulty (Aegis) you will not be able to easily make it past round 15 which will much much lower than the theoretical maximum for the reward. The rewards in the arena are kind of bad generally but it is a really good place to level up your gear. Pay attention after each round to see what gear is mastered and check your skills for points to allocate as it doesn't do a good job of telling you when you master/level up in that mode.
  • Gems are different in 3 than 2, and with their changes I feel like Dual is no longer the hands-down best class, and dodge is no longer the best strategy. One of the best class-specific gems (90% Titan Speed) I've so far only seen for Light weapons. Many (new) gems give really great results for parrying- for example, I have two triangle gems (On Parry, Damage Titan 800 and On Perfect Parry, Damage Titan 5000) and a hex gem (On Perfect Parry, Stun Titan 3s) that allow me to fight Titans with a (hex) Titan Level +500 Gem equipped without much trouble. Gems really mix things up in a good way.

I'd say I'm done with the game for now, but Chair has a history of releasing new content for quite a while after release, and this only came out in last quarter 2013. They do have cloud saving which in theory should let me delete the game for now, but nothing I've seen so far would lead me to believe you should trust their servers to retain your data.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I have IB3 sitting on my hard drive and that was a very useful rundown Kenny. Thanks.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Almost forgot to mention:

You will want to plan on upgrading your "best" non-weapon equipment to level 6 via the blacksmith because that is when you start seeing the "star" slot which can take any kind of gem (except those specific to weapon class).

Also, you will want to plan on having at least two well-upgraded pieces of equipment per category in order to play Deathless Mode which unlocks after the main story. For weapons at least one of these will be the Infinity version of that class so never sell them.

There is some exclusive gear you can only buy in DM but it's not necessarily better than the best stuff you can buy normally (i.e. armor and helm of kings/queens and gear that appears to match them). One way to get enough money in DM to buy these exclusive pieces (you start with $0 each time) is to bring in $300K gems and sell them while in DM.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I'll chime in with the thing that got my IB3 economy snowballing really hard:

Get Isa's magic up to the point where you can open medium chests. Equip a (diamond) %gold bag drop gem and as many %gold received (hex) gems as possible. Slog your way to whatever weapon you want the most (I used the Infinity Edge) with some inferior weapon; this is the hardest part. Now, equip your badass weapon and blow through awakenings while speed-upgrading your weapon (with chips, it might cost ~600 chips total) whenever it's mastered.

Once you have a level 10 weapon, you can pretty easily cruise into more money than it's possible to spend. My Isa is on Awakening ~65 with 5 million in the bank, and I'm trying to upgrade my items as fast as possible while buying cool gems as they come around.

e: the "lovely" gold recieved gems are like 19-23%, the good ones are like 29-31%, and I have one gem that is at 37%. Any level of these gems will speed up your money by a ton.

e2: the fastest, most gold-dense area I found is the "Tomb of Ruin" on the eastern side of the map.

DNK fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 10, 2014

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

DNK posted:

e2: the fastest, most gold-dense area I found is the "Tomb of Ruin" on the eastern side of the map.
Seconding this. It has a small chest, a regular chest, a medium chest, and a chest at the end for Isa's lockpicking skills to work on, plus a possible dragon combat area and there are only like 4 titan fights.

Not sure I'm following your logic on "level 10 weapon equals profit". Do you just mean that your weapon is so powerful that you can take down much higher-level titans with it?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

Seconding this. It has a small chest, a regular chest, a medium chest, and a chest at the end for Isa's lockpicking skills to work on, plus a possible dragon combat area and there are only like 4 titan fights.

Not sure I'm following your logic on "level 10 weapon equals profit". Do you just mean that your weapon is so powerful that you can take down much higher-level titans with it?

Higher awakening makes chest and titans drop better stuff. If you can kill high level enemies you can get that stuff and level up faster.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Rhythm Thief finally got released... kinda. It was pulled from the store almost immediately for unexpected bugs. :v:

It was $9.99.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Shwqa posted:

Higher awakening makes chest and titans drop better stuff. If you can kill high level enemies you can get that stuff and level up faster.
Yeah, okay, that's what I thought. Would using Titan Level +X be more or less important that Awakening count I wonder. Anyway fighting +500 level titans is fun but I really need to get a 90% Titan Speed gem again to make it consistently doable.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

LIMBO KING posted:

Rhythm Thief finally got released... kinda. It was pulled from the store almost immediately for unexpected bugs. :v:

It was $9.99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9224qZ7N38

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I need another game that I can play against friends to replace Letterpress because it's gotten boring. Something word-y or puzzle-y, but nothing that involves matching X in a row. Something that I can make a move really quick when I'm waiting in line at a store.

Any suggestions?

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Does anyone play Super Stickman Golf 2? Great little game that just went free, temporarily. I just scored the Granny Wig, which says something about air brakes? Do I have to unlock that power-up before the wig power works (what a weird sentence)?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

I need another game that I can play against friends to replace Letterpress because it's gotten boring. Something word-y or puzzle-y, but nothing that involves matching X in a row. Something that I can make a move really quick when I'm waiting in line at a store.

Any suggestions?
Say the Same Thing?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Did Fates Forver come out last month an no one notice? Just randomly thought about it and Google gave me an iTunes link. Don't have my iPad with me at work and can't check the App Store. Seems weird that it would be so quiet since it got so much attention last fall.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

tuyop posted:

If your turn begins and you are next to an enemy, moving such that you are still next to them at turn end means you will attack them. Leaping still counts if it follows those basic rules. The second method is to move straight towards the enemy if you have pierce you will also kill the enemy behind them, but only if there's an enemy directly in front of where you move.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyone still playing carcassone? I'm iphoneyop on Gamecenter.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is Civ Rev any good? Specifically for iPad, I mean. I know it's a streamlined Civ game.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I got it for free a while back and enjoyed it, but I've only played Civ, CivNet, and Civ II. I've heard some complaints from fans of the newer games that missed (new feature I'm unaware of).

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is Civ Rev any good? Specifically for iPad, I mean. I know it's a streamlined Civ game.

Nope it is poo poo. You have to buy the IAP or gently caress you. The npcs get all the iap stuff, even if you didn't purchase it. So they will built awesome new units and wonders while you get sit around getting destroyed.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/death-off-the-cuff/id788712929

My award winning Interactive Fiction game Death off the Cuff is now available for iOS! An earlier non-app version was Let's Played on these forums, and improved based on goon feedback, so it doesn't get much goonier than that :).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I picked up Help Me Fly when it was free and just started playing it and... it's really good; all of the puzzles they put in here are pretty solid without any dumb filler time-waster ones so far.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Shwqa posted:

Nope it is poo poo. You have to buy the IAP or gently caress you. The npcs get all the iap stuff, even if you didn't purchase it. So they will built awesome new units and wonders while you get sit around getting destroyed.

Jesus when did that happen? I used to have that game on my iPad and could have sworn it didn't have ANY IAP.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

petewhitley posted:

Jesus when did that happen? I used to have that game on my iPad and could have sworn it didn't have ANY IAP.
Echoing this. I guess I haven't played it in a while, but really?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hauki posted:

Echoing this. I guess I haven't played it in a while, but really?
Welcome to the wonderful world of iOS gaming, where devs can easily patch in ads or exploitive IAP into games you've already paid for!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Panzer Corp update. After a winter of refitting and rearming, Army Group Parkingtigers was assigned to capture Norway in the April of 1940.

The landings at Oslo went well. The advance was cautious as my forces were still depleted after the intense fighting in Warsaw the previous September. My focus was on rebuilding my infantry, and I commissioned several of the new grenadier units, outfitting them with half-tracks so they could deliver a heavier punch on fast advances. Also had enough prestige available to upgrade one of my panzer divisions with the new Panzer IIIs that had just come into production. A third Stuka unit meant that the Norwegian forces were easily overwhelmed,

Moving on to Lillehammer, and the army was split into two groups to advance up both sides of the fjord, rolling over a series of lightly defended Norwegian cities. British forces were stationed around the main objective, and while their cruiser tank offered some resistance, their Matilda I infantry tank was no threat. I did lose one of my two SS grenadier divisions to some intense fighting with Norwegian mountain troops, and my newly commissioned fallschirmjäger unit was ambushed in mid-flight by a flight of British Hurricane fighters, backed up by a flight of Gloster Gladiators. My Archangel squadron downed all the allied fighters, but it was too late to save my paratroopers.

The country couldn't be secured without the northern port of Narvik. British and French forces were heavily entrenched there, and the Royal Navy had a sizable fleet both on the open sea and in the fjord itself. While my land forces battled through snowy conditions, a fierce battle raged at sea. My destroyer screen kept my battlecruisers safe, while their long range guns pounded away at the British aircraft carrier HMS Glorious. The allied air force was surprisingly strong in this battle, and my Stukas took a battering and had to be withdrawn at times to prevent total loss. Enemy cruisers sank all my destroyer screen, and the cruisers HMS Warspite and Devonshire retreated into the fjord pursued by the German cruisers. The presence of a British submarine in the fjord made this hazardous, but when weather conditions cleared a sustained series of Stuka attacks cleared the way.

Three decisive victories, and Norway is taken. I'm still short on panzer divisions, and I've lost every recon unit I comissioned, but I have a solid core of experienced artillery, tactical bombers, and infantry. Grand Campaign '39 is complete.

Countries now under Axis control:
:poland:
:norway:

Next up, the Low Countries and Grand Campaign '40.

Incidentally, I'm now using this Panzer Corps unit name generator: http://panzercorps.worldwar2.ro/unit_name_generator.php
Makes it better, definitely worth using.

Current core force that will enter GC '40:

1x infantry
1x grenadier
1x pioneer
1x mountain troops
1x SS grenadier

2x Sturmpanzer I mobile artillery
1x 105mm captured Polish artillery

1x Bf-109 "Archangels"
3x Stuka
1x JU88 strategic bomber

1x Panzer 1B
1x Panzer IIIF
1x Panzerjäger 1 anti-tank

My top priority is more tanks. Always more tanks. I need to increase my anti-air presence, either with a second fighter group and/or a ground AA unit. I also need to stop letting my recon units die, but I guess that's part of their job.

God this game is really good.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
My search for an RPG that I can create a character and run around and run other people's errands for them has led me to Aralon. I am seeing a lot of mixed reviews, and I typically avoid games where IAP is essentially a requirement. Is Aralon worth looking at these days (I see it's a few years old), or is there something better?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Parkingtigers posted:

Panzer Corp update.

I love this game but as it's my first time with anything like this I'm playing on Babbys First Wargame difficulty to start with.

I just learned a very hard lesson in the US after sending in infantry and grenadiers without adequate artillery or tank support, my guys were slaughtered! I shouldn't care so much about computer men but it really bothered me seeing them getting the good news from a load of tanks!

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I haven't finished it yet, but The Shadow Sun is definitely scratching my early 00's CRPG itch.

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

tuyop posted:

Anyone still playing carcassone? I'm iphoneyop on Gamecenter.

Yes, check out the iOS board games thread.

Edit: Oh you're already there. Hi! :)

Kelthorn fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 13, 2014

Ulu
Nov 7, 2005
My game got a very nice review on 148apps.com, so i'm posting it, in case someone is interested in a free word game : http://www.148apps.com/reviews/morphem-review/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Man Dancer posted:

I haven't finished it yet, but The Shadow Sun is definitely scratching my early 00's CRPG itch.

Any chance you could do a short review or an overview of the setting/story, character creation, and systems? Since Beamdog is still making GBS threads itself to death (or the AppStore is loving everything up, it's hard to tell), I'm becoming increasingly interested in The Shadow Sun.

• Locked thread