Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Excelzior posted:

Is the duke of Swabia currently revolting against the king of germany (like ,say, to lower crown authority)? You also could not transfer the title if it was being contested for any reason (succession crisis, pagan invasion, holy war, etc)

That might be. I barely pay attention to when my vassals troops are raised because they are a bunch of aggressive assholes whose sole purpose is to ruin my pretty borders. And the fact that they ignore dejure stuff held by other Kingdoms and just holy war for random pieces of land...Assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Eimi posted:

Is anyone having problems transferring vassalage to certain people? Especially when your realm gets large? I have random Duchies/Counties that are vassals of me, as the Empress of Francia, but I cannot put them under their rightful rulers, they just don't show up in the menu to transfer vassals around, even when its say a county in West Francia itself. I haven't created the Kingdom of Aquitane, is that why it's an issue? (I want to hold on to Toulouse.) Though this issue still effects the Jarl of Swabia who is my vassal, but I cannot give them to Germany. ><

Make sure they are not in a war with someone else within your realm, then you can't transfer them. Also if they have 1 duchy in 1 realm and 1 more duchy that belongs to another realm, then you can't transfer them.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Reveilled posted:

Honestly I think it's stupid that the achievements are restricted to Ironman, it's a dumb as hell restriction. They have no meaning to anyone other than the player, so why does it matter that the player could theoretically save edit or cheat to get them? If that makes the player happy good for them and nobody (should) care if someone else cheated for it or not. Especially when anyone can open up steam achievement manager and get the achievements that way.

It would be fine if ironman didn't force you to autosave and give you the associated stutter every month.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

SMP posted:

I didn't, thanks for the help :).

I've now got all of Norway sans Iceland and 1/2 of those provinces from the screenshot. Iceland is loving tough as hell, I went at them with 1k more troops and they cut right through me.

Here's how to deal with Iceland and Orkey:

Become King of Norway, offer them vassalization. They'll fall in line boom more counties to boost your max retinue cap.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

hellsjudge posted:

Here's how to deal with Iceland and Orkey:

Become King of Norway, offer them vassalization. They'll fall in line boom more counties to boost your max retinue cap.

On that note, do you know what this game needs? A popup that informs you whenever a ruler is willing to accept vassalization.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

On that note, do you know what this game needs? A popup that informs you whenever a ruler is willing to accept vassalization.

I can't agree to that, the UI does no need extra clutter for something that happens :
-Predictably (if you do not have the proper titles or if the rulers are kings, they will NEVER accept)
-Infrequently
-Usually in chunks (i.e. you pick up an Emperor title and all the king-less dukes come into the fold)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Excelzior posted:

I can't agree to that, the UI does no need extra clutter for something that happens :
-Predictably (if you do not have the proper titles or if the rulers are kings, they will NEVER accept)
-Infrequently
-Usually in chunks (i.e. you pick up an Emperor title and all the king-less dukes come into the fold)

The fact that it's infrequent is a point in my favor, I would think. First of all, it'd make it easier to find them all when you do pick up a title that lets you do it. Second, often you can't because they're at war, and it'd be nice to get a notification when you can. Third, sometimes I forget to do it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

The fact that it's infrequent is a point in my favor, I would think. First of all, it'd make it easier to find them all when you do pick up a title that lets you do it. Second, often you can't because they're at war, and it'd be nice to get a notification when you can. Third, sometimes I forget to do it.

Well, I'll grant that it would be useful. I guess a non-invasive "you have potential vassals" icon at the top of the screen would be okay, but I sure wouldn't get much mileage out of it :shrug:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd kill for a "this guy won't accept a court invite, but is close enough to be bribed" filter/indicator like inviting someone to a plot has.

In fact, an expansive overhaul of the people tab in general is probably my most-wanted new feature.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

This is totally what upsets me about the "You Can Usurp A Title" notification. It doesn't let you because they are usually at war, and so you just have to keep checking back periodically and hope you get lucky in a lull of activity. If it only popped up when you could actually do it and afford to do it, THAT would be helpful.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd kill for a "this guy won't accept a court invite, but is close enough to be bribed" filter/indicator like inviting someone to a plot has.

In fact, an expansive overhaul of the people tab in general is probably my most-wanted new feature.

I hope they just fix the poo poo where the hand shows up saying they'll support your plot if you bribe them, then they loving keep your money and won't join you. I could use those 20g for my Keep, rear end in a top hat :(.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is it sad that the only reason EU4 interests me at all is because I want to continue my CK2 games? I have 0 interest in every aspect of the game except that I could a be a Greek Muslim Italian empire.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd settle for just a "will join my court" filter.

There is no way to find someone willing to join your court except clicking on each one and trying to invite them manually over and over again until you get lucky, how the gently caress has that survived umpteen dozen iterations and design fixes to every other aspect of the game?

poo poo, in my wildest dreams I'd dare hope for conditional job offers, so that you can actually tell the guy who's all "eh no reason to move" that you will make him Chancellor if he joins your court, it's a huge opportunity, dummy.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Is it sad that the only reason EU4 interests me at all is because I want to continue my CK2 games? I have 0 interest in every aspect of the game except that I could a be a Greek Muslim Italian empire.

I picked up EU4 to try this out too, but it kills me that the converter is 10 bux :negative:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

CapnAndy posted:

There is no way to find someone willing to join your court except clicking on each one and trying to invite them manually over and over again until you get lucky, how the gently caress has that survived umpteen dozen iterations and design fixes to every other aspect of the game?

poo poo, in my wildest dreams I'd dare hope for conditional job offers, so that you can actually tell the guy who's all "eh no reason to move" that you will make him Chancellor if he joins your court, it's a huge opportunity, dummy.

I've literally never managed to get somebody to come to my court.

EDIT: Unless they're coming to marry somebody, of course.

EDIT EDIT: One time I had an excess of princes and princesses and fulfilled the assemble a great council ambition solely by marrying them all off to 20+ skill courtiers. :v:

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

We just need new filters on the character finder, I am going to scream for a filter for traits, specifically, being able to find an unmarried Genius because doing the search for a spouse for your heir is suuuuuch a drag.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rincewind posted:

I do it all the time as a Catholic.

I've also stopped playing Catholics because the fact that there aren't enough Zoroastrians in the world for it to be a viable strategy saves me the trouble of feeling like I ought to try. :v:

hellsjudge posted:

We just need new filters on the character finder, I am going to scream for a filter for traits, specifically, being able to find an unmarried Genius because doing the search for a spouse for your heir is suuuuuch a drag.

There used to be a third-party program called CK2 Matchmaker that let you pull up a list of unmarried Geniuses (or whatever) by scraping the data from memory. Or possibly from the save files, I forget.

It looks like the last update was for 1.9, though.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 10, 2014

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
So in my ironman game I'm in a great holy war for Perm (not my first choice but hey) but it's at 100%, and has been for about 3 months, and he still won't enforce the demands. Do we need to conquer all of de jure Perm the Seljuks have?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rincewind posted:

You have to, and I swear to God there is no easier way, click your way down the list one person at a time, opening up their sheet so you can look for claims. If they have a claim they might join your court or might not, no way to tell, got to invite them to find out, which is three more clicks. Oh, and every time you open the diplomacy menu the people finder closes, so with each person that it turns out won't join your court after all you need to re-open the thing.

But it is technically possible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, and every time you open the diplomacy menu the people finder closes, so with each person that it turns out won't join your court after all you need to re-open the thing.

You're doing it wrong, it's totally possible. Right-click instead of left, click the icon that looks like a face in profile.

Also they don't need to have a claim, just hating their current liege and liking you is usually good enough for a bribe to work. It helps if they're greedy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

You have to, and I swear to God there is no easier way, click your way down the list one person at a time, opening up their sheet so you can look for claims. If they have a claim they might join your court or might not, no way to tell, got to invite them to find out, which is three more clicks. Oh, and every time you open the diplomacy menu the people finder closes, so with each person that it turns out won't join your court after all you need to re-open the thing.

But it is technically possible.

If you look at the Claimants list for a particular title, it'll show you thumbs-up/thumbs-down indicators of their willingness to come to your court, with a bit more detail on mouseover. There's nothing like it for just snatching high-skill courtiers, but if you just want claims to press/marry, it's easy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

hellsjudge posted:

I picked up EU4 to try this out too, but it kills me that the converter is 10 bux :negative:

I have a lot of questions about the converter too. What makes a university count for EU4? Will the game remember that I have a most glorious dynasty of empresses? And so on. I haven't found a very clear list of what converts and what doesn't. Granted another problem is it's quite easy to conquer the world in CK2.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I just savescummed until I had screenshots of both victory and defeat in the Warhammer tournament for my LP.

I'm not remotely sorry.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I just savescummed until I had screenshots of both victory and defeat in the Warhammer tournament for my LP.

I'm not remotely sorry.

isn't it just a 50/50 chance?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Excelzior posted:

isn't it just a 50/50 chance?
Yes. I just wanted them both because they are equally hilarious.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

between that and the karate kid chain the Improve Martial Ability ambition is probably hands down my favorite.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Nope, buying the inn, naming it the Bottomless Tankard, salting the turnips with ALL OF THE SALT and hiring a singing donkey is the best ambition event :colbert:

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 10, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
No, the best is the intrigue chain where you frame the cook and then an event fires years later when you remember you left him in the dungeons for all that time.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

All of the raising stat events are pretty cool, and are why playing low stat characters can be fun.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

My favorite event is when the bandits paradoxically attack your siege camp.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Now for some actual content, does switching to Basque culture enable you to assign women as generals in your armies? i am missing out on tons of siege leaders for my raiding parties because my nephew recently got into battle and got himself in a coma :( but I have like 3 women in my court that are Brilliant Strategists with siege leader traits.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What are peoples opinions on where to put vassal merchant republics? I am the King of Lithuania and I am thinking of putting a Merchant Republic in the two province duchy of Pomeralia (with Danzig as the capital, which I find fitting) because I will already be getting fewer levies out of them for being a republic and they generate their fountains of cash from trade posts rather than "more land".

Also, speaking of republics, how do vassal non-merchant republics work? e.g. if I give a county title to a mayor. Will I get more cash but fewer levies from them or will it be a wash? My line of thinking is that a city that is the vassal of the barony (county capital) is paying taxes to the barony's lord (not me) but if the city is the county capital, that city would get taxed just like a vassal city in a county I control, right? Does that even make sense?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

hellsjudge posted:

Now for some actual content, does switching to Basque culture enable you to assign women as generals in your armies? i am missing out on tons of siege leaders for my raiding parties because my nephew recently got into battle and got himself in a coma :( but I have like 3 women in my court that are Brilliant Strategists with siege leader traits.

In vanilla, only the Cathar religion or the Joan of Arc event will let you have female generals.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Mickey McKey posted:

What are peoples opinions on where to put vassal merchant republics? I am the King of Lithuania and I am thinking of putting a Merchant Republic in the two province duchy of Pomeralia (with Danzig as the capital, which I find fitting) because I will already be getting fewer levies out of them for being a republic and they generate their fountains of cash from trade posts rather than "more land".

Also, speaking of republics, how do vassal non-merchant republics work? e.g. if I give a county title to a mayor. Will I get more cash but fewer levies from them or will it be a wash? My line of thinking is that a city that is the vassal of the barony (county capital) is paying taxes to the barony's lord (not me) but if the city is the county capital, that city would get taxed just like a vassal city in a county I control, right? Does that even make sense?

Yes, but they will always have the -30 opinion modifier, it would be best to have them under a republic instead of a bunch of Lord Mayors hating you. As to positioning, I suggest you find a coastal zone that has a lot of ports for placement, that way your republic can set up a trading zone and bring in more tax money. For best results, crank up your city taxation to Harsh and city levies to Min.

Dallan Invictus posted:

In vanilla, only the Cathar religion or the Joan of Arc event will let you have female generals.

loving lame, Cathars suck cause they have no Pope.

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 10, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I wish being a vassal was better documented. If I declare a war on my liege to install a throne claimant (through a normal war, NOT a faction since I'm not allowed to start factions), will vassals that like me more than him join my side or at least stay out of it? Does the fact that the realm is in a holy war against neighboring Muslims affect that? I'm playing a Byzantine duke in Ironman, so I'd like to avoid overly risky conduct, but the Emperor has almost depleted his levies in continuous holy wars and managed to piss off nearly every vassal he has, and my half-brother vassal and eligble electoral heir is married to one of the Emperor's sisters, and I'm rich enough to buy one of the more expensive mercenary bands and support it for a year or two so it's a huge opportunity - unless some vassals jump in on the Emperor's side or he hires some mercenaries or something.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the Emperor just appointed me his spymaster and then became Incapable, too. I wanted to build up my power base over a couple of generations before making a play for the throne, but this is an enormously tempting opportunity and I think I can grab the throne if he can't call all the vassals in on his side.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 10, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I just followed up Warhammer with the motherfucking Robin Hood event chain, I poo poo you not.

Best LP ever, bitches.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
A lot of the time when I invite people to my court, they'll accept, but not actually come. They're not leaving again - the game auto-pauses on their acceptance, and I can open their profile from that screen and see they're still in the other court (and the Invite to Court button is still available). Sometimes if I keep spamming them they'll eventually actually come, but sometimes they'll just keep accepting and not appearing, forever. What's up with that?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Whenever the Robin Hood event pops up it happens like 2-4 times so I have 4 pairs of Robin Hoods and Marions in my court :v: they're honestly pretty good statwise so I don't mind too much but still.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Did Paradox change how pagan Subjugation wars work? I just won my Subjugation war for Ruthenia as Lithuania vs the Cumans, but all the Cuman counts and dukes are there and joined the independence faction and have more levies than the Khan of Cumania did and will definitely revolt shortly (and some are relatives of the Khan and will call him to war when they revolt, undoubtedly). Why did I gain control of ZERO counties when I won the Subjugation war? At this point I might as well grant independence to all these Cuman counts and dukes and re-war for the counties, because right now by winning the Subjugation war but not being able to kick ANY of the retained rulers out I have an unbeatable independence faction to deal with now....seems a little hosed.

edit: thankfully this is not ironman and I am more than willing to use the console to fix this bullshit; but I am curious if this is how they work now, how they always worked but its just been a while, or what.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mickey McKey posted:

Did Paradox change how pagan Subjugation wars work? I just won my Subjugation war for Ruthenia as Lithuania vs the Cumans, but all the Cuman counts and dukes are there and joined the independence faction and have more levies than the Khan of Cumania did and will definitely revolt shortly (and some are relatives of the Khan and will call him to war when they revolt, undoubtedly). Why did I gain control of ZERO counties when I won the Subjugation war? At this point I might as well grant independence to all these Cuman counts and dukes and re-war for the counties, because right now by winning the Subjugation war but not being able to kick ANY of the retained rulers out I have an unbeatable independence faction to deal with now....seems a little hosed.

edit: thankfully this is not ironman and I am more than willing to use the console to fix this bullshit; but I am curious if this is how they work now, how they always worked but its just been a while, or what.

Did you occupy the provinces? You only take control of provinces where you've occupied the primary holding when the peace is signed. All the other provinces just swear fealty to you and carry on.

• Locked thread