Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I spent the last week binging through Louie on Netflix.

For once, fellow Goons, you didn't oversell something. That show deserves all the love you have heaped upon it. A beautiful, solid little production.

I'm a little put off by some of the choices, or maybe the better description is that I'm disheartened. The show manages to hit a lot of tender spots in its 20-something minute runs.

Manos del Sino fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's unlike any other show I've ever seen and it's also probably the most honest show I've ever seen. Some episodes leave me melancholy just because it's saying "oh hey the world is poo poo and sucks a whole bunch and is also absurd."

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I just finished Spartacus and I need a loving drink and to open a window cause it's so loving dusty in here. :smith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zaggitz posted:

I just finished Spartacus and I need a loving drink and to open a window cause it's so loving dusty in here. :smith:

Did you watch all the credits of the last episode?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just watch the sequel Rome for more :hist101:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I get more emotionally involved in Louie than I do 90% of shows which are meant to be dramas.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Just watch the sequel Rome for more :hist101:

Then end with I Claudius.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

bobkatt013 posted:

Did you watch all the credits of the last episode?

I did, Andy at the end :unsmith:.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

I did, Andy at the end :unsmith:.

One star of the show will be in one of the biggest blockbusters of this year plus Arrow and another will be in one of the biggest bombs.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 9, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zaggitz posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Aphrodite posted:

Their favorite new comedy nominees are the Bubble Watch.

Nice.

This is the year Louie comes back for S4, right? It's been way too long.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

A local channel has started showing Leverage, which I never got to watch. It's entertaining, kind of like a modern A-Team.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The Spoils of Babylon is outstanding. Can't even begin to describe it. They're repeating it again at 12 AM and 1 AM, next showing is Saturday at 11:15 AM. Set your DVR.

There's a good chance you'll feel burned by it but you simply must know it exists.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HBO at the TCAs has revealed that there's just going to be one more season of Boardwalk Empire.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

muscles like this? posted:

HBO at the TCAs has revealed that there's just going to be one more season of Boardwalk Empire.

Boooooo.

BOOOOOOOOOO.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also probably only more season of Justified after the current one.

For good news though its time for another GREATEST EVENT IN TELEVISION HISTORY.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gonz posted:

Boooooo.

BOOOOOOOOOO.

The producers including Scorcese are working on another HBO show with Bobby Cannavale!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mu Zeta posted:

The producers including Scorcese are working on another HBO show with Bobby Cannavale!

Okay, that makes me feel a bit better.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, that's actually part of the reason why the show's ending -- Producer's Choice. Terry Winter and Martin Scorsese are anxious to get this pilot into production: it's about the NYC music scene in the late 1970s, in the midst of punk's dominance and the beginnings of hip-hop. Mick Jagger's also on board as an EP. Scorsese will again direct the pilot, and Bobby Cannavale will play the lead: a coked-out record label executive.

Cry for Boardwalk, but do not dare cry for television.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I love boardwalk, its such a hard hitter.

But 5 seasons is the magic number for a drama, so it's ok i guess.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
As long as Winter is making the call I will... accept it.

BUT SO HELP ME GOD IT BETTER BE WORTH IT!!!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ although they're portraying it as Winter's decision Todd VanDerWerff thinks declining ratings and a lack of awards buzz were major factors in the decision too

muscles like this? posted:

Also probably only more season of Justified after the current one.

That fits with a quote I read from Goggins before season 4 premiered, so I'm pretty drat happy with that.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I passed the Santa Anita racetrack over the holidays and remembered how much I liked Luck. A shame about all the horses dying and nobody watching, because I was a pretty big fan.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Manos del Sino posted:

I passed the Santa Anita racetrack over the holidays and remembered how much I liked Luck. A shame about all the horses dying and nobody watching, because I was a pretty big fan.

We actually started going to that racetrack out of morbid curiosity after watching the pilot for Luck. I had no idea horse racing was still a thing, and now I love it. Thanks HBO!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Bown posted:

^^^^ although they're portraying it as Winter's decision Todd VanDerWerff thinks declining ratings and a lack of awards buzz were major factors in the decision too.

Yeah, I think when the show started they expected it to be a Sopranos-level awards factory. Unfortunately it coincided with Breaking Bad and Mad Men, effectively boxing it out of most categories.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah, I think when the show started they expected it to be a Sopranos-level awards factory. Unfortunately it coincided with Breaking Bad and Mad Men, effectively boxing it out of most categories.

Boardwalk Empire is a really good show, but I don't think it's a great one. Mad Men and Breaking Bad both do different elements better so it's always felt a little redundant to my own watch list.

I'm glad it's ending earlier rather than later but it does feel like one season was awarded when two would've been ideal.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
GIRLS has been renewed for season 4! :toot:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Is Season 4 of Boardwalk better than season 3? Because I just finished season 3 and I kind of hate everyone now. Except Richard because who could hate that face? :allears: (: And I know what happens to him at the end of season 4 because I'm alive and posting on the internet. One more reason to put off season 4.)

E:

PriorMarcus posted:

Boardwalk Empire is a really good show, but I don't think it's a great one.

I would agree with this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DivisionPost posted:

The Spoils of Babylon is outstanding. Can't even begin to describe it. They're repeating it again at 12 AM and 1 AM, next showing is Saturday at 11:15 AM. Set your DVR.

There's a good chance you'll feel burned by it but you simply must know it exists.

It kinda feels (albeit only halfway through the first episode) that they watched Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, used the concept but except instead of writing jokes they hired famous people and shot it nicely. Hoping it picks up by the end of the 2nd episode.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I have the last 8 episodes of the latest season of Boardwalk on my DVR. I loved the first few seasons but I just no longer have the desire to watch this show anymore. I don't know what changed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You still got two further than me. There's nothing wrong with Boardwalk exactly, just with everything else on it's one of the ones most likely to get left behind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the sizzle reel for Rainn Wilson's new bad cop show Backstrom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6O5uD-ySw8

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Here's the sizzle reel for Rainn Wilson's new bad cop show Backstrom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6O5uD-ySw8

Who wants to watch a show about an unlikable dick abusing his public authority?

"Knowing I don't have long to live gives me the courage to do what's right."

Ooooh, now I get it.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 10, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Who wants to watch a show about an unlikable dick who abuses his public authority?

"Knowing I don't have long to live gives me the courage to do what's right."

Ooooh, now I get it.

Yeah some of the jokes were funny but it's basically "what if Dwight was a cop???" Also it's got that girl from Emily Hart MD that has the Rumer Willis uncanny valley face.

It'll run for 9 seasons and spinoff 3 times.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Its theme song is "Don't Stop Me Now". That's a great song.

You would think that Don't Stop Me Now is such an awesome loving song that nobody could make it sound bad even if they tried.
But God drat it if the Super Fun Night theme doesn't try its hardest to prove you wrong.

Still, it's not even a contender for Worst Theme Song as long as The Mindy Project continues to defy all odds by existing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dans even used it to fix the Enterprise opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOoHrwq1x8U

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Dans even used it to fix the Enterprise opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOoHrwq1x8U

Wow, it's incredible how much better that fits.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

Wow, it's incredible how much better that fits.

See, I'm looking at it and thinking, "Heh, that's funny," but I didn't think it really fit against that majestic "History of the Enterprise / Exploration" montage, certainly not better than whatever sweeping orchestral theme that a half-decent composer could come up with.

Then I remembered that they didn't use a sweeping orchestral theme, but rather a cover of Bryan Adams' "Faith of the Heart," which is the song dropped over the end credits for Patch loving Adams.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Here is the best Enterprise credits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbsZRbwbJ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The funny thing is that's more accurate to the human history of exploration, as more or less our entire space program was developed from WW 2 scientists and technologies and was spurred along to best rivals.

• Locked thread