Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Thumposaurus posted:

Fender used to use it for coranados and others they called it wild wood.
This one is a Kay that I picked up at a goodwill store for $20.
It's the only one I've ever seen like it.

It always struck me as a dumb idea as the front is still just plain spruce, who buys a guitar for the pretty pattern on the back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korax
Jul 3, 2003
My Generosity is SUB-PAR
From my collection

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
ah ha ha is that a moveable pickup like on the gibson grabber?

do you have any recordings with that monstrosity?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I love the slogan "two steps closer to perfection."

Two steps forward, forty-one steps back.

e: ugly guitars are kind of cool though, I'd totally love to play around with that bass

Rashomon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 10, 2014

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

ovation makes/made loving bass guitars? is that a built in eq in the ad? holy poo poo my brain hurts.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

bunky posted:

ovation makes/made loving bass guitars? is that a built in eq in the ad? holy poo poo my brain hurts.

google "ovation breadwinner"

be disgusted

Korax
Jul 3, 2003
My Generosity is SUB-PAR
Yeah, the magnum 2 has a built in EQ, Also took a 9v battery. It was like an early version of active pickups.
Mine's a magnum one. It had two imput jacks, mono and stereo, so you could play it through two amps at the same time, but it's got an aftermarket pickguard right now because I and whoever else played it kept stepping on the patch cord and it broke. Just put it down to one for now.
It's also got a palm mute lever that you can push down and it wedges a piece of rubber/foam against the strings for a muted sound.
Humbucker at the neck with individual volume pots for each string, single coil at the bridge.
Carbon reinforced neck you can see on the back so it'll be straight forever.
Also, it's huge. 34 inch scale length, which is big, but because of the giant bridge, most extra long scale strings wont fit on it, only a few brands work.

Ugly is so subjective

Korax fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 10, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

google "ovation breadwinner"

be disgusted

They look loving loopy and have some goofy electrics, but they are stupidly comfortable to play.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

i mean, i like my ovation acoustic even though someone dooked on the plastic body earlier in the thread, but those electrics are goofy as gently caress

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

White Dog Eggs posted:

They look loving loopy and have some goofy electrics, but they are stupidly comfortable to play.

as far as ergonomic guitars i find the parker maxxfly to be the least offensive to my sensibilities

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Zonekeeper posted:

Agreed on the cream/gold sentiment. I replaced the cream pickup rings/pickguard/knobs on my goldtop with black ones and it looks much better.

Black Strats with white pickguards always looked boring as hell to me - it's the most generic color combo on what a lot of people consider the most generic guitar. Ironically my Strat is black despite holding that opinion, but it has a maple neck and a 3 play black pickguard like this guy's basses:

Don't know what the deal with that combo is but it left an impression on me and I knew I was going to buy it the moment I saw it on the sales floor.

They're not mine, though I do have a jazz bass very much like the one in the picture, only with black inlays.

The Ovations made me think of Maton's old electrics.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

as far as ergonomic guitars i find the parker maxxfly to be the least offensive to my sensibilities

i've always wanted a parker. they look comfortable to play :cheers:

saturated fart
Dec 26, 2012

Snowy posted:

Do you have a link by any chance?

http://www.ifi.unicamp.br/physicae/ojs-2.1.1/index.php/physicae/article/view/physicae.9.5

If you can't read portuguese the basic reasoning is that there's not enough energy going from the strings to the body to affect the sound, most of it is reflected back to the string.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bunky posted:

i've always wanted a parker. they look comfortable to play :cheers:

supposedly they really are and they're super light (4ish pounds)

the fly looks silly to me though

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

supposedly they really are and they're super light (4ish pounds)

the fly looks silly to me though

tbh the fly feels almost too light. None of my guitars are super heavy (except for the Ergodyne bass which weighs a loving ton), but the fly...I dunno how to explain it, you an tell it's a quality guitar but it's so light, so it somehow feels really nice and really cheap and toyish at the same time.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
IIRC Some kid at MIT or something did his master's thesis basically disproving the tone wood bullshit too.

I also read a study somewhere in which they played student model violins and real Stradivarius for so called "Violin Experts" and they were completely unable to tell them apart.

I'll look for links.

Edit: I got the violin one almost completely wrong but still mostly right
http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2012/01/02/144482863/double-blind-violin-test-can-you-pick-the-strad

http://www.guitarsite.com/news/music_news_from_around_the_world/electric-guitar-wood-myth-busted/?goback=%2Egde_3778347_member_154612271#%21

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 10, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
one of my favorite guitars will always be my rondo superstrat that I tuned down to learn At the Gates songs. Cost me $150 and I put a duncan JB in the bridge, no one could tell the difference other than me because I had to do some setup miracles to compensate for all the dead frets and semi-warped neck.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

I Might Be Adam posted:

What should I do?

Buy him an account and tell him to start posting, let's see just what kind of sperg we're dealing with here.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

one of my favorite guitars will always be my rondo superstrat that I tuned down to learn At the Gates songs. Cost me $150 and I put a duncan JB in the bridge, no one could tell the difference other than me because I had to do some setup miracles to compensate for all the dead frets and semi-warped neck.

i really want to hand build guitars out of poplar/paulowina and finish them in a thick poly stain and then put nice hardware on them and do up the frets and put fralins in them

i just need a clever name

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

It always struck me as a dumb idea as the front is still just plain spruce, who buys a guitar for the pretty pattern on the back?

I do apparently. This is the front of it it looks mostly normal.

Did I mention the red one is fretless because the frets just started falling out on their own one day like it had guitar scurvy. So I yanked the rest and filled the slots with putty.
It's only really good for making noise on now.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_P_HdyluhY&t=24s

You guys are lucky you went through this phase before Youtube.

Dec 26, 2012

Rob Ford posted:

yes definitely

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really wanted to make fun of his ridiculous wiring, but it's not that ridiculous.

Not like some.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

HollisBrown posted:

IIRC Some kid at MIT or something did his master's thesis basically disproving the tone wood bullshit too.

I also read a study somewhere in which they played student model violins and real Stradivarius for so called "Violin Experts" and they were completely unable to tell them apart.

I'll look for links.

Edit: I got the violin one almost completely wrong but still mostly right
http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2012/01/02/144482863/double-blind-violin-test-can-you-pick-the-strad

http://www.guitarsite.com/news/music_news_from_around_the_world/electric-guitar-wood-myth-busted/?goback=%2Egde_3778347_member_154612271#%21

Jesus the comments :psyduck:

quote:

Thirdly, "looking" at the harmonic content is pointless, it tells you nothing. Your ears are the only credible judge

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Allen Wren posted:

I really wanted to make fun of his ridiculous wiring, but it's not that ridiculous.

Not like some.

funniest post of the thread got drat. dream theatre man is the only one with taste in amps and adrian belew uses two different modeling brands, into a bose PA rofl

parker fly adrian belew signature with built in line 6 hurgle burgle hrrrrf

mclast fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 10, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

i really want to hand build guitars out of poplar/paulowina and finish them in a thick poly stain and then put nice hardware on them and do up the frets and put fralins in them

i just need a clever name

Call yourself ZENTHAR!!! Guitars. The capitals and exclamation marks will show everyone that you mean business. Don't forget to tell everyone about your secret PolyTone™ sound enhancing finish!

Thumposaurus posted:

I do apparently. This is the front of it it looks mostly normal.

Touché. How does it play? I've heard those Kay acoustics can be pretty janky.

Thumposaurus posted:

Did I mention the red one is fretless because the frets just started falling out on their own one day like it had guitar scurvy. So I yanked the rest and filled the slots with putty.
It's only really good for making noise on now.

That better be tone putty.

I've honestly never heard of frets falling out like that before, do you live somewhere really dry? I guess if the fret-wood was dry enough it could cause the slots to expand.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rob Ford posted:

something i learned in middle school jazz band- a surprising number of people are physiologically incapable of hearing and playing swing beats

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

something i learned in middle school jazz band- a surprising number of people are physiologically incapable of hearing and playing swing beats

'Fun' guitar-sperg fact: Leo Fender designed Stratocasters with swing music in mind. Aside from the Telecaster, every single fender electric guitar was not suited for the type of music it was intended for (ever seen a Jazz musician use a Jazzmaster?), mostly because Leo Fender could not play guitar.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Allen Wren posted:

Not like some.

stephen carpenter's was pretty bad, especially considering how simple the deftones' guitar stuff is

i think he just uses an axe-fx now

the king of ludicrous setups is chris poland though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2VpWzHlhfo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I think Belew's setup is like that because he doesn't remove gear from it, ever

It's just grown into a massive pile of poo poo that he probably doesn't even need

Also lol at Carpenter, I think I could play a Deftones set with a delay pedal and a two channel amp and be fine

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

'Fun' guitar-sperg fact: Leo Fender designed Stratocasters with swing music in mind. Aside from the Telecaster, every single fender electric guitar was not suited for the type of music it was intended for (ever seen a Jazz musician use a Jazzmaster?), mostly because Leo Fender could not play guitar.

what's funnier is at least in the us strats were really unpopular for a while in the 80s because they were associated so strongly with jimi hendrix and seen as old-fashioned

the cbs-era quality problems didn't help

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
This was the most favorite bass I've ever owned. I liked the sound and it had that "this was made for ME" feel to it. How does it rank on your ugly/wank scale?

For reference, I played a lot of dumb rock / metal poo poo on it, but when I played by myself, for my own amusement and joy I took advantage of the whole fretboard.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Is it as heavy as it looks?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Rob Ford posted:

Buy him an account and tell him to start posting, let's see just what kind of sperg we're dealing with here.

Ehh, he's a cool guy and a good guitarist. I just like giving him poo poo for being a guitarist and liking guitar player things.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.

CannedMacabre posted:

Is it as heavy as it looks?

Heavier. It was like lugging around a log. But I'm a pretty burly guy, so it wasn't that bad with a wide, padded strap. I just like the way it fit my hands and the way it's "voice" changed in different areas of the fretboard. It was like how a singer goes from chest voice to head voice to falsetto.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

I can buy that there's nothing intrinsically "special" about one type of wood over another, but there's no way what a guitar is made of doesn't have an effect on the tone. Don't get me wrong, I think a guitar's pickups probably make up the vaaaaast majority of the overall tone at least, but make two guitars, all things identical except one is made from something like mahogany or maple and one guitar made out of thin, hollow plastic, they're going to sound different, even through an amp. Maybe not a super compressed and chorused-out distortion monster like whatever the djent stick was played through, but a relatively clean amp I'd bet there would be a little difference at least.

I would be happy to have this disproven to me so I can rearrange my priorities when I look for guitars to buy though, but I don't think it will be.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

How do you guys feel about amplifiers? Obviously there is a difference between the sound of a half stack and a combo amp, but when it comes to super expensive poo poo like Jackson Amplifiers, are you really getting your money's worth?

A guy that I play with has two Vox combo amps that he runs simultaneously, one for dirty, one for clean and then he has two control/pedal boards. I like to call him The Edge because his gear is suffocating him into the corner of our practice space. I give all of my musician friends poo poo for stuff but I'd honestly prefer someone with too much gear that spergs about tone/quality of wood, etc over some flakey bum that never gets their poo poo fixed or bothers to upgrade their gear. "Oh yeah, my pedal is still broken/shorting out. I'm gonna get that fixed soon" *a year goes by and nothing changes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Tbh half stack and combo doesn't effect poo poo so much as solid state vs tube does. But the whole "handmade audiophile parts and old Soviet radio bits are the only things in this amp" are loving dumb as that is barely noticeable compared to a properly QA'd mass production tube amp. Though the "loving fucker" seems like an awesome toy to have but it naturally costs a shitload.

Also two separate amps for clean and dirty is dumb as hell. Sorry kid you'll never be j mascis, buy a dual channel amp or put an EQ pedal in an effects loop.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Well yeah, obviously a tube vs a solid state is going to be the major deciding factor but I straight up hear a difference between solid state amp going through a cab, and a solid state combo amp. I'm just curious if spending over $3000 on an amp and cab is really worth the money because as a drummer, I can't hear the difference in an over-priced drum kit that an intermediately priced kit can't replicate with the right heads, tuning and mic placement. I can't see dropping that kind of cash on a shell pack from DW so I can't relate to a guitarist dropping that kind of cash on an amplifier.

I'm gonna get my Sears Silvertone amp and 6x8 cab with casters restored and I'll be the coolest kid at the retro throwback garage band gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

GreatGreen posted:

I can buy that there's nothing intrinsically "special" about one type of wood over another, but there's no way what a guitar is made of doesn't have an effect on the tone. Don't get me wrong, I think a guitar's pickups probably make up the vaaaaast majority of the overall tone at least, but make two guitars, all things identical except one is made from something like mahogany or maple and one guitar made out of thin, hollow plastic, they're going to sound different, even through an amp. Maybe not a super compressed and chorused-out distortion monster like whatever the djent stick was played through, but a relatively clean amp I'd bet there would be a little difference at least.

I would be happy to have this disproven to me so I can rearrange my priorities when I look for guitars to buy though, but I don't think it will be.

The only piece of wood that I could be convinced makes a difference in sound would be the fingerboard. Think about a Strat for example, the body material is going to make no difference. The pickups are mounted on a shiity piece of plastic with screws and springs. The bridge is loosely connected to the body and having it attached with springs is basically going to kill any connection anyway. The frets, nut and bridge are the only thing that ever make contact with the strings. So maybe, just maybe the fingerboard material might make a difference because the string vibrates the fret, which vibrates the neck which might resonate back to the string but your chubby fingers probably negate that anyway.

• Locked thread