Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
WHOOPS I have too many tabs open :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Barkley 2 has a card minigame in it? Sweet!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Yestermoment posted:

That'd actually really fit with the style of Barkley 1, so I wouldn't be surprised!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Yestermoment posted:

I think it'll eventually have an elaborate Solitaire minigame.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gortarius posted:

I think it'll eventually have an elaborate Solitaire minigame.

If it didn't cost a buttload in royalties, I'd hope to hear "Sweet Georgia Brown" whenever you won. Dollar bills ruin everything, jeez.:smith:

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Shinjobi posted:

If it didn't cost a buttload in royalties, I'd hope to hear "Sweet Georgia Brown" whenever you won. Dollar bills ruin everything, jeez.:smith:

It's been composed in 1925, so wouldn't that make it public domain? I only have a very vague idea of how all that works, but almost 90 years...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gortarius posted:

It's been composed in 1925, so wouldn't that make it public domain? I only have a very vague idea of how all that works, but almost 90 years...

Holy crap, I think you're right. I need this Globetrotter solitaire yesterday.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So will the status effects from Barkley 1 be back in this game? Aspergers, Diabetes, etc.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Just watched the replay of the Awesome Games Done Quick charity of Barkley 1. I found it hilarious that, although everything going on around in the room and in the game was completely absurd and awkward, the speedrunner's (Laz) cancer story, emotional motivation and finding bromance in the end mirrored the narrative of the game itself. Talk about life imitating art! Best speedrun of the event by far.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Speaking of the first game, was anyone else disappointed that there were never any new jobs on the bounty board after the first one? Like even though I new the game was a parody I still wanted to fight more things because I can never get enough side quests.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
After watching that vid of the MaGfest demo, I gotta say, "booty hootenanny" is the best thing I've ever heard anyone say out loud. I never even noticed that before somehow even after testing and tweaking that event for days.

It got me off guard.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

So will the status effects from Barkley 1 be back in this game? Aspergers, Diabetes, etc.

I don't remember off the top of my head, probably lots of them. But there are new ones too. Don't want to give too much away but............

gestation

rodbeard posted:

Speaking of the first game, was anyone else disappointed that there were never any new jobs on the bounty board after the first one? Like even though I new the game was a parody I still wanted to fight more things because I can never get enough side quests.
I don't want to say "sidequests" are what Barkley 2 is about, but I feel like they are the meat of the game. It's about non-linear exploration and doing what you want, when you want. We've got a time system where things in the world happen whether or not you're participating in it, so some people will find and participate in stuff that other players have no idea even exists because they're not in the right place at the right time. For instance, there are a couple quests that, as far as I can tell, nobody at PAX or MAGFest found at all and that's how we want it. You'll only be able to appreciate what this game is and how big it truly is on multiple playthroughs!

So yeah, Barkley 2 has a lot of the non-linear quest stuff that you probably wanted from the bulletin board.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Gortarius posted:

After watching that vid of the MaGfest demo, I gotta say, "booty hootenanny" is the best thing I've ever heard anyone say out loud.
Speaking of booty, can I get the lyrics to "bootyclapper"

I know there's not a lot but I need to have this kind of thing 100% correct in order to feel truly prepared.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I'm going to miss the best boss theme in the world. I was seriously looking forwards to boss fights just to hear it (it was before I knew it was from blue dragon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

Why was eternity picked for the boss theme in Barkley 1?

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Because it's awful.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Chef Boyardee posted:

Because it's awful.

It had to have been the most unexpected thing that has ever happened in my life when I first fought MJ and Vinceborg so I thank you for that, I still think it's hilarious and wrong and awful and out of place and perfect and great

And yeah please keep ridiculous status effects in game, whether you keep aspergers and diabetes, or make up something else stupid.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

DrManiac posted:

Why was eternity picked for the boss theme in Barkley 1?

Well first of all I think you'll find that it is actually Vinceborg's theme specifically, as it only plays in fights against him, and that you're snubbing Johnathan Taylor Thomas, which is amazing.

Second, because it owns.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Chef Boyardee posted:

Because it's awful.

It's an awful song to hand to going-on-his-late-sixties Ian Gillan. Seriously, the guy can barely go "I'm a Highway Star" without breathing between every word. They either should've had him provide feedback on how to not make it sound like so anime, and better fit his range, or hired a cover singer who could match Ian's ability from back when he was still young.

Oh, who am I kidding, it's owns. :allears:

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 11, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

alcharagia posted:

Well first of all I think you'll find that it is actually Vinceborg's theme specifically, as it only plays in fights against him, and that you're snubbing Johnathan Taylor Thomas, which is amazing.

Second, because it owns.

I got pumped when I heard it playing during the final battle, I just went with it. :kiddo:

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Speaking of booty, can I get the lyrics to "bootyclapper"

I know there's not a lot but I need to have this kind of thing 100% correct in order to feel truly prepared.

I don't give a pap, I just wanna hear that booty clap x100000000

alcharagia posted:

and that you're snubbing Johnathan Taylor Thomas, which is amazing.

Haha, thanks man. I actually hate this song. I remade it for Barkley 2 but I want every boss to have their own theme and I can probably pull that off. I like writing boss themes and have like 100 that nobody has ever heard so I can just remake them if worse comes to worst. Here's one I'm working on right now -

http://tindeck.com/listen/gjiv

Still a work in progress but I like it way more than JTT, which I think I wrote when I was 15 or 16.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Chef Boyardee posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/gjiv

Still a work in progress but I like it way more than JTT, which I think I wrote when I was 15 or 16.

This is now my favorite ethnic ska track.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
You don't by chance have an mp3 lying around of that one song you sent to Ulillillia for his game do you? The little snippet I heard was pretty rad, THAT CONTEST WAS RIGGED.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Oh, cboy, almost forgot to ask - I was wondering what program you've been using to produce your game music.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
True story: Having not played Blue Dragon, I thought Eternity was recorded exclusively for Barkley 1. "Jesus christ the guy from Deep Purple sang this" confused the hell out of me, since how could a bunch of nerds afford that?

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Ryaomon posted:

You don't by chance have an mp3 lying around of that one song you sent to Ulillillia for his game do you? The little snippet I heard was pretty rad, THAT CONTEST WAS RIGGED.

There were two of them. Before he ever asked anyone for music, I made him a Sega Genesis song because I know he loves Bubsy. I don't remember what he told me, but the song sucks anyway so I'm glad it's not in the game -

http://tindeck.com/listen/ydnc

A year later after he started asking people for music, I sent him this. It's a good song but it needs to be remade, it's very old -

http://tindeck.com/listen/gixv

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Oh, cboy, almost forgot to ask - I was wondering what program you've been using to produce your game music.

It depends on what I'm doing but mostly Fruity Loops.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

True story: Having not played Blue Dragon, I thought Eternity was recorded exclusively for Barkley 1. "Jesus christ the guy from Deep Purple sang this" confused the hell out of me, since how could a bunch of nerds afford that?

You didn't recognize any of the dozens of other bits and pieces taken from other games?

And my only complaint about the music in SUaJ:G is that it doesn't loop very well, making some really awkward and forced cuts.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
http://www.platformmasters.com/audio.shtml

95% isn't bad... Or maybe it it's some sort of inverse logarithmic thing where 100 is like infinity, 99 is the best humanity has to offer, 98 is Meh, and the other 97% is carefully defined categories of awful unlistenable music, even if you listen at 115% speed or 55% speed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You didn't recognize any of the dozens of other bits and pieces taken from other games?

And my only complaint about the music in SUaJ:G is that it doesn't loop very well, making some really awkward and forced cuts.
I just assumed that Eternity was so bad that it could not possibly have been from a real game! Everything else was more obvious.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

What are the chances of an Eternity soundalike being in this game?

I thought there was an updated version of the song I'd heard on youtube a while ago but this is the only thing I could find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te_ZPaV9s_4
and this exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQUnFTL7aQ

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 12, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

I thought there was an updated version of the song I'd heard on youtube a while ago but this is the only thing I could find:
and this exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQUnFTL7aQ

Are you looking for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uGaysof7aI

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

That's it! Man, I was sure I dreamed it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That's it! Man, I was sure I dreamed it.

Who are the Gays of 7 AI?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Chef Boyardee posted:

Haha, thanks man. I actually hate this song.

Really? Is that because you made it so long ago and have heard it so many times that every little thing sticks out as wrong or something? For the record it's probably my favorite track from Barkley 1.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Is anyone else having a hard time getting to ToG's website? It ALWAYS times out for me, even trying on different days. Using a proxy didn't help either. Anyone else have this issue? I'd really like to poke around and pick up Barkley 1 again because I know I never finished it.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

HondaCivet posted:

Is anyone else having a hard time getting to ToG's website? It ALWAYS times out for me, even trying on different days. Using a proxy didn't help either. Anyone else have this issue? I'd really like to poke around and pick up Barkley 1 again because I know I never finished it.

Yeah, the server it's hosted on is down. The server's in the Netherlands and I think the guys who run it are going to fix it soon, or at least that's what they've said. You can still get it on Gamejolt - http://gamejolt.com/games/rpg/barkley-shut-up-and-jam-gaiden/18143/

Zenzirouj posted:

Really? Is that because you made it so long ago and have heard it so many times that every little thing sticks out as wrong or something? For the record it's probably my favorite track from Barkley 1.

Maybe. It's just very old, it's not very well made, it's the product of a 15 year old mind that's developed quite a bit since then.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Chef Boyardee posted:

Yeah, the server it's hosted on is down. The server's in the Netherlands and I think the guys who run it are going to fix it soon, or at least that's what they've said. You can still get it on Gamejolt - http://gamejolt.com/games/rpg/barkley-shut-up-and-jam-gaiden/18143/

Thanks for the link, at least I can enjoy the game again. Is the site's server down . . . a lot? I know I've had this issue before, like at various times in the past few years when something random reminded me of Barkley 1.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

My singing voice is almost as good as my guitar playing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hey ToGsters, how are you guys liking Game Maker? A couple of friends and I are considering trying our hands at making some game's this spring/summer, and I was wondering if you thought it'd be a good place to start learning. I know you guys mostly got started with RPG Maker, but how's GMS treating you?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hey ToGsters, how are you guys liking Game Maker? A couple of friends and I are considering trying our hands at making some game's this spring/summer, and I was wondering if you thought it'd be a good place to start learning. I know you guys mostly got started with RPG Maker, but how's GMS treating you?

If you want actual 3D with shapes other than rectangles, it is the worst possible choice. If you want 2D, it is a very good choice. From what I've seen GMS has some good examples/tutorials that you go through step by step in the editor itself.

GMS is no longer the buggy piece of poo poo it was a year ago, nowadays we have no one to blame but ourselves when something goes wrong.

If I recall correctly, there is a free demo version you can check out, it has a handful of features locked and maybe some watermark when you boot your games but you can use it for as long as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Chalk me up as another dude who has JTT as his favorite Barkley 1 track. :shobon: I'm glad it'll be making a cameo appearance in Barkley 2.