Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
That Moments of Wonder bit was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Moments of Wonder is brilliant. :allears:

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Limmy is loving brilliant.

Those of you that haven't watched his sketch show should really find a way to get it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Eboracum posted:

I think I was 12 and I had a nice big crush on her until I got older and realised she's incredibly irritating and not that attractive.

It's crazy though that she won a competition to be a presenter for a bit on a lovely kids tv programme and managed to make a successful career out of it.

The other guy was called Des by the way.

DES! That's it! What an annoyingly, over-enthusiastic prick he was to have to deal with at seven in the morning with a "i've had eight pints the night before and three hours sleep" hangover

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

"Moments of Wonder" is like a look into the future of British documentaries.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Gorn Myson posted:

"Moments of Wonder" is like a look into the future of British documentaries.
Future!? Already here. Christ practically every one before the actual (if there is any) meat is gotten to is preceded by 5 minutes of 'dunna dunna dunna dunna dunna dunna' music overlaid with the presenter staring wistfully at exotic locations or voicing over crappy graphics.

Call me mad but I'm into documentaries for the information, very hard to find.

I assume that's what brooker was parodying in that excellent bit.

I like to try and catch 'in our time' http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl if I can. Bit of actually brain stuff. Try it, very dry, sometimes the subjects aren't something you are interested in but there is no loving 'dunna dunna dunna dunna dunna dunna'

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Devol_Tettran posted:

Having just got back in (and missing Weekly Wipe), Channel 4 presents me with "What Happens in Sunny Beach" where apparently a chap called Nipsy has somehow ripped his arsehole open.

Speckles poo poo all over room and doesn't finish his shots. A shameful holiday rep.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Answers Me posted:

Is there any particular reason that the show is split up? The credits roll, there's a little break...and then back to the studio for a 'different' programme. I know the thing on after the main show is a little different but it still seems like an odd quirk.

I haven't seen it, but a lot of hour-long BBC docs have an extra 15 minutes (making-of segments for Attenbourgh stuff for example) so they can sell the main bit to fit in hour long slots on channels that have adverts.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Answers Me posted:

Is there any particular reason that the show is split up? The credits roll, there's a little break...and then back to the studio for a 'different' programme. I know the thing on after the main show is a little different but it still seems like an odd quirk.

Because it used to be a separate programme, like The Apprentice and You're Fired!, but then the BBC put it on the same channel and dropped the "Back to Earth" bit. gently caress knows why they decided to do what they're doing now.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

C4 have taken all their full length programmes off youtube in favour of driving people to 4OD

i guess they weren't get enough of the ad revenue

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Cerv posted:

C4 have taken all their full length programmes off youtube in favour of driving people to 4OD

I guess they really hate adblock. I wouldn't be surprised if this sent more people to streaming sites rather than dealing with 4od anyway.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Adblock works fine with 4OD.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I particularly liked the fact that Diane Morgan is basically from the same neck of the woods as Brian Cox, so the accent really fit well.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know what happened to Louie Theroux? He was doing documentaries every year but last year is like the first since 98 that he's missed a year. :(

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG

Abu Dave posted:

Does anyone know what happened to Louie Theroux? He was doing documentaries every year but last year is like the first since 98 that he's missed a year. :(

A post on his official Facebook from December:

quote:

Apologies for not posting recently. For the past year I have been living in Los Angeles and working on three new shows, all set here. The idea is that they shed light on different aspects of the American cultural scene. We have now delivered one, and two more are getting close to being done. More to follow...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Huh, uncanny, I just watched through Weird Weekends yesterday.

I'm still disappointed that they didn't do another christmas show in the second season, if only to see professional wrestlers celebrating christmas with swingers and black nationalists.

(e): Aw gently caress off why is Limmy on Screen Wipe. About as funny as stubbing your toe in a burning orphanage. If he can get onto Screen Wipe, there's no loving reason why any other human being couldn't.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 10, 2014

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

VogeGandire posted:

(e): Aw gently caress off why is Limmy on Screen Wipe. About as funny as stubbing your toe in a burning orphanage. If he can get onto Screen Wipe, there's no loving reason why any other human being couldn't.

What! C'mon, how could you hate this face?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Limmy's section on Screen Wipe was the most pointless part of the show :colbert:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

onoflalks posted:

Because it used to be a separate programme, like The Apprentice and You're Fired!, but then the BBC put it on the same channel and dropped the "Back to Earth" bit. gently caress knows why they decided to do what they're doing now.
They still use the Back To Earth bit on iplayer. I believe the main programme is credited as a co-production between the BBC and BBC Knowledge (ie. the overseas commercial arm), whereas the second bit is just BBC.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cerv posted:

Good loving riddance.
Here in Ireland they have blocked all their shows, but the 4 loving ads they force you to watch work alright.
Must have tricked many a person thinking it was a set up problem and who tried to tinker with it to get it to work.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Rarity posted:

Limmy's section on Screen Wipe was the most pointless part of the show :colbert:

I agree. I know Stanhope's not liked around these parts, but I always find something to laugh about in his bits. Limmy was terribly unfunny.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Limmy was great, you're all wrong.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Doug Stanhope is probably one of the rare comedians who can make a bit about killing his own mother funny as well as moving.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fearne Cotton is tellywank for people too poor or lazy to use the internet.

Lauren Laverne has been skirting the edges of TV for years since The Girly Show, I thought she was OK on the 10 o'clock show but most episodes the guys just kept interrupting her and she ended up acting like she was trying to keep them under control, which is not what she's best at.

Charlie Brooker's hair is like the Godwins law of British TV threads and Limmy was great in the IT crowd.

I hated Masterchef when it was first on and the only good thing about it was the Reeves and Mortimer parody of it.

There, I'm caught up.

e: nigella yes I would, but audio only

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Can you stream in HD yet on 4od?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Metrication posted:

Not that i know of, channel 4 has always been massively behind in the online department, with the ludicrous amount of ads if you don't use adblock to the myriad of channels they have now essentially just filled with repeats of channel 4 shows 4music, more4, e4, 4seven (which to me is the most pointless of the lot) and all the +1's.

Its like someone at channel 4 desperately wants to avoid using online catchup services in favour of possibly seeing it repeated on proper telly. the only good think they ever did was put select e4 shows up a week early online but that is pretty rare.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Not that i know of, channel 4 has always been massively behind in the online department, with the ludicrous amount of ads if you don't use adblock to the myriad of channels they have now essentially just filled with repeats of channel 4 shows 4music, more4, e4, 4seven (which to me is the most pointless of the lot) and all the +1's.

Its like someone at channel 4 desperately wants to avoid using online catchup services in favour of possibly seeing it repeated on proper telly. the only good think they ever did was put select 34 shows up a week early online but that is pretty rare.

To be fair the back catalogue 4od has is stunning and much better than all the other broadcasters combined.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Metrication posted:

Id stream nigella with my HD.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Channel 4 lost the plot with 4Seven, frankly.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Lauren Laverne has been skirting the edges of TV for years since The Girly Show, I thought she was OK on the 10 o'clock show but most episodes the guys just kept interrupting her and she ended up acting like she was trying to keep them under control, which is not what she's best at.

Strange really, that was her actual role. None of the others had live presenting experience. Although I think she'd only done live radio not tv.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Its like someone at channel 4 desperately wants to avoid using online catchup services in favour of possibly seeing it repeated on proper telly. the only good think they ever did was put select e4 shows up a week early online but that is pretty rare.
That's bollocks. They have basically the entire catalogue on 4oD, there is allot of poo poo obviously but you have every good programme you can name, every series every episode. Its superior to BBC online in terms of available content. Id never gotten around to watching Green Wing for example until the other week and there it is, every single one.

Adverts annoying a bit yes but they have to pay for it somehow don't they. In general there is a 3 minute one at the start of the program and a couple of 30-60 second ones in the middle.

If the Beeb could open up the vaults in the same way it would be great.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Lauren Laverne has been skirting the edges of TV for years since The Girly Show,

I think you're confused between Lauren Laverne and Sarah Cawood (or Sarah Cox)?

quote:

If the Beeb could open up the vaults in the same way it would be great.

I know the BBC aren't allowed to because Murdoch said it'd be unfair, so how come C4 can do this? Has the climate changed enough that we might be seeing BBC archived stuff soon?

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 11, 2014

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ponce de Le0n posted:

E4 can be pretty good - there are a couple of shows they've put the first episode up a day or even a week up early, like misfits.

It's like they've realised they can use 4od to make the schedule more flexible and still get views from people who might not happen to be available when the show airs.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Adverts on 4oD aren't the problem. It's when the adverts work, the programme doesn't, and you end up having to sit through the adverts a second or third time.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

Adverts on 4oD aren't the problem. It's when the adverts work, the programme doesn't, and you end up having to sit through the adverts a second or third time.
For me its more when the adverts crash the player, though you can just click back and go to show again and i guess it cookies you cos it says resume, usually works.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Adblock really does solve all of these problems, it's magical.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Seaside Loafer posted:

That's bollocks. They have basically the entire catalogue on 4oD, there is allot of poo poo obviously but you have every good programme you can name, every series every episode. Its superior to BBC online in terms of available content. Id never gotten around to watching Green Wing for example until the other week and there it is, every single one.

i think you have misunderstood what i am getting at, since 2006 when they put up everything they own, what (apart from superficial cosmetic changes to 4od) has improved?

With iplayer you can at least watch shows in hd and recently you can rewind to the start of a live program if you missed the start of it which is incredibly handy, those are just two examples of decent improvements since iplayer went live.

I just find it a bit weird that they are concentrating making GBS threads out repeat channels like 4seven

NaDy posted:

Yeah this.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 11, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

NaDy posted:

It's so effective, I had no idea 4od even had adverts until my wife used it to watch homeland on her own browser.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I've been using AdBlock for so long now that using a laptop without it seems like a tour into a hellish corporate landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah, if I want to load up 4OD on my PS3 to watch something so I can keep surfing on my laptop or playing a vidja game, it is such a hellish frustration that doesn't work about 3/4 of the time. It's only the virtue of there being such a lot of excellent content on 4OD that it's worth bothering with at all.