Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
I got some of em, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Literally The Worst posted:

Prophet's "ending" in that Prophet Earth War is taking its place. It's still Prophet.

Ultra Pros.

Prophet Earth War is just a mini to wrap up everything. The book's still ending.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is there any merit to an Image-specific thread? I mean if Valiant has one, I think Image could support it, too. There are still a bunch of books that never get discussed around here, like Five Ghosts. I just find it kind of hard to keep up with what they're doing, but I guess maybe that's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah I was thinking the same. There's definitely warrant to an Image thread, especially with the number of books announced that seem exactly the kind of books BSS reads. Plus there's that Image documentary to come out shortly.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

And it's not even the tip of what was announced.

New Gillen/McKelvie book.
Morrison/Burnham
Fraction bringing Casanova back to Image.
SNYDER/JOCK
Graham/Rios and a murder row of artists.
BITCH.PLANET.
Remender/Tocchini
More Brubaker and Phillips.

And a poo poo load more

This is a gonna be a good year for comics.

I got a little laugh at the fact that the Willingham Image book is basically Fables.

quote:

Bill Willingham (Fables, Elementals) and Barry Kitson (Batman, Fables) reveal that the magic and gods of legend and lore are not just oral history, but real...and now they’re back in the forthcoming series RESTORATION.
Same artist to boot!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah a little bit of discussion came out after the Expo yesterday but it's hilarious how Image is once again the place where big names just take their off brand DC/Marvel/Vertigo products and just do the same thing.

I wish Kitson went off to do something else cos he's much better than Willingham.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

So, Alan Moore is finally done with giving interviews, drat

http://slovobooks.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/last-alan-moore-interview/

A lot of long, lonooong answers to the long-stated questions about the blackface doll Golliwog in League and the fixation on rape in his work. As people on twitter have already noticed, the answer to the rape question is very reminiscent of the stupid bullshit that fine gentleman Mark Millar already used in his own defense ("Murder is worse!").

Oh, and there are roughly 4800 words of furiously not caring about Grant Morrison, with the following mic drop:

Alan Moore posted:

As already stated, any publishers, friends, artistic collaborators or other close associates of Grant Morrison or Laura Sneddon should not approach me in future. Further to this, any periodicals or institutions which publish or have published interviews with Grant Morrison should similarly not attempt to contact me. To be brutally honest, I’d prefer it if, as with the Before Watchmen re-creators, their associates and their readers, admirers of Grant Morrison’s work would please stop reading mine, as I don’t think it fair that my respect and affection for my own readership should be compromised in any way by people that I largely believe to be shallow and undiscriminating. So far so predictable, perhaps, but an outcry over my appearance at an event which I myself had not seen as being specifically comic-related suggests that these measures are going by no means far enough. If my comments or opinions are going to provoke such storms of upset, then considering that I myself am looking to severely constrain the amount of time I spend with interviews and my already very occasional appearances, it would logically be better for everyone concerned, not least myself, if I were to stop issuing those comments and opinions. Better that I let my work speak for me, which is all I’ve truthfully ever wanted or expected, both as a writer and as a reader of other authors’ work. I’ve never presumed that I should have access to my favourite authors’ lives or, indeed, to anything more than that part of themselves which they’ve expressed through the medium of the words on the page.

Cowardly dodging and pettiness aside, I am personally glad that Moore has not lost his prose skills and I hope to read his Jerusalem novel one day.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ahaha that Golliwog defense is the weakest poo poo.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I really do hope that it's his last interview and people just stop asking him dumb poo poo.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

fatherboxx posted:

Cowardly dodging and pettiness aside, I am personally glad that Moore has not lost his prose skills and I hope to read his Jerusalem novel one day.

You better not have enjoyed anything by G.Mo. or Before Watchmen!

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

fatherboxx posted:

A lot of long, lonooong answers to the long-stated questions about the blackface doll Golliwog in League and the fixation on rape in his work. As people on twitter have already noticed, the answer to the rape question is very reminiscent of the stupid bullshit that fine gentleman Mark Millar already used in his own defense ("Murder is worse!").

Read the rape section again. It's a far cry from the Millar thing. He clearly says that rape is a lot more prevalent in society then murder yet not so prevalent in fiction. Murder is massively more commonplace in books, films, comics etc. whilst rape is not dealt with anywhere near as much. He is saying that as rape is tragically so common in the real world then he feels that it has a place in fiction and shouldn't be avoided.

And I do feel that when Moore has put scenes of rape or sexual assault in his books then it's there for a reason and it serves a purpose. It's never trivialised and is always treated as a despicable act. Moore is a writer who is very interested in sexual behaviour and, I believe at least, that he treats it thoughtfully and not in a "Millar" way.

This interview is... kinda weird to me. I mean, it's interesting to read but it comes across as entirely unnecessary. Sure, Moore deserves a right to reply to his critics but to do so to this extent is... I don't know. I need to read it again for sure.

edit: Fffffffff I've got a G-Mo avatar. Guess I can't read it again cos I'm not allowed :-(

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

I have to admit, Brubaker and Philips' new "We can make whatever we want and they have to publish it" contract is one of the strangest things I've heard of in comics. Should lead to some interesting stuff.

Coming this fall: An omnibus of Brubaker dickpix as he cackles above Image HQ shouting WHO CAN STOP ME?

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Waterhaul posted:

I really do hope that it's his last interview and people just stop asking him dumb poo poo.

The thing is, this time nobody asked him about Morrison or anything. O Mealoid asked him basically "why all the rape?" and Moore went "WELL LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT GRANT MORRISON"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shameless posted:

This interview is... kinda weird to me. I mean, it's interesting to read but it comes across as entirely unnecessary. Sure, Moore deserves a right to reply to his critics but to do so to this extent is... I don't know. I need to read it again for sure.

Moore's interviews in general have kind of taken on an air of obsessive compulsion in recent years and this one feels like the apotheosis of that. Like, he has to be absolutely clear about his opinions in the most detailed fashion possible lest people misattribute things to him.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Moore's interviews in general have kind of taken on an air of obsessive compulsion in recent years and this one feels like the apotheosis of that. Like, he has to be absolutely clear about his opinions in the most detailed fashion possible lest people misattribute things to him.

He needs to write up an epic-length FAQ, post it somewhere, and then use his sorcery to destroy anyone who asks a question that's already answered.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Fraction bringing Casanova back to Image.

Have they stated why? I'm just curious if this has to do with Icon itself, or because he's doing less Marvel work, or...what?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

d00gZ posted:

The thing is, this time nobody asked him about Morrison or anything. O Mealoid asked him basically "why all the rape?" and Moore went "WELL LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT GRANT MORRISON"

Yeah, it just went from a right-to-reply thing, with Moore addressing the valid criticisms people have made, and then went into personal attacks on Laura Sneddon and Grant Morrison. O Mealoid is really good when interviewing Moore and does tend to avoud asking the cheap, soundbite questions that lesser journalists tend to ask. This was all Moore.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Moore's always been every bit the deranged, cynical, loopy old twat he looks like and I'm not sure why people are still treating him with kid's gloves as if he's just some poor vagabond set upon by Big Man Lazy Journalism.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

d00gZ posted:

Oh yeah I know but I always expect an :argh: Morrison rant from Moore. It's how you know it's a real Moore interview.

Mr. Glum posted:

Have they stated why? I'm just curious if this has to do with Icon itself, or because he's doing less Marvel work, or...what?

I think it's just that Image seems to offer a better deal with exposure. I don't think any of the people who've made the jump from Icon or Vertigo have bad mouthed the deal they had, just that at the moment Image is a better prospect.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

I think it's just that Image seems to offer a better deal with exposure. I don't think any of the people who've made the jump from Icon or Vertigo have bad mouthed the deal they had, just that at the moment Image is a better prospect.

What are Icon and Vertigo's licensing rights situations like? I imagine it's all creator-owned? I know Image assures the creators they distribute for that they're free to license and option their series as they see fit.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dan Didio posted:

What are Icon and Vertigo's licensing rights situations like? I imagine it's all creator-owned? I know Image assures the creators they distribute for that they're free to license and option their series as they see fit.

I know for Icon the basic deal is that the creator gets all the rights but are on their own when it comes to promoting. Like Brubaker has had no problem shopping Criminal around and neither did Millar through developing Kick rear end or deciding to publish it through his own Clint Magazine.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dan Didio posted:

I am pretty sure Icon is the same as image as Powers is creator owned. The only thing that could have happened is Bendis and Oeming signed it to Marvel.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't think licensing has come up, but I imagine that the creators get the vast majority of the licensing control.

Vertigo does offer editing, promotional work, and they'll cancel you if the second tpb doesn't do well. I bet this means they get a bigger share of the book, too. It's probably a better place to start our for someone new to comics, but these services aren't great for established writers.

Not sure what Icon offers, but I never got the sense it was a serious thing, and they screwed up at least one Powers HC.

For most folks, Image offers literally just a printing service, and wants you to sell over 5k books. Creators have to get their own editor and promotion.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

I know for Icon the basic deal is that the creator gets all the rights but are on their own when it comes to promoting. Like Brubaker has had no problem shopping Criminal around and neither did Millar through developing Kick rear end or deciding to publish it through his own Clint Magazine.

Hmmm, I was wondering if that might be the tipping point given how interested in optioning comic book properties everyone is right now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dan Didio posted:

Moore's always been every bit the deranged, cynical, loopy old twat he looks like and I'm not sure why people are still treating him with kid's gloves as if he's just some poor vagabond set upon by Big Man Lazy Journalism.

Moore's a lot of things, but I don't really know if I'd ever use the word "cynical" to describe him.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I'm usually on Team Alan Moore Superfan 2000, but damned if that isn't the most piss weak defense of Golly Wag I could imagine him mustering. And the way he gets hung up on Morrison is perplexing and kinda funny. It's like he found a copy of Supergods stuffed behind a couch cushion or something.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I always look forward to rubbernecking at his rants and deranged opinions so I'm hoping he just can't contain himself. Does he have a twitter account? Please God let Alan Moore have a twitter account

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Of course he doesn't, if he did Bleeding Cool would be putting out daily updates for months, maybe years.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I'm usually on Team Alan Moore Superfan 2000, but damned if that isn't the most piss weak defense of Golly Wag I could imagine him mustering.
What has been the prevalent criticism of the use of Golliwog? The interviewer hits a few different arguments but doesn't expand on their specifics (although Moore does).

quote:

And the way he gets hung up on Morrison is perplexing and kinda funny. It's like he found a copy of Supergods stuffed behind a couch cushion or something.
I'd love to know when it started, although if I was Moore I'd be pretty offended that the author of The Filth claimed that he never wrote anything that included rape.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zachack posted:

I'd love to know when it started, although if I was Moore I'd be pretty offended that the author of The Filth claimed that he never wrote anything that included rape.

Did Morrison actually ever claim that? Because there's The Invisibles too, off the top of my head. Not that I think featuring a rape scene in a work of fiction is off-limits or anything.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Zachack posted:

What has been the prevalent criticism of the use of Golliwog? The interviewer hits a few different arguments but doesn't expand on their specifics (although Moore does).

Uh, do you know much about it beyond LXG? Because I would have thought the criticism self evident.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Did Morrison actually ever claim that? Because there's The Invisibles too, off the top of my head. Not that I think featuring a rape scene in a work of fiction is off-limits or anything.
Rolling Stone, 2011

quote:

Maybe it's for the best that DC Comics is starting over now.
But I don't know. There's been lots of things, the sexism in DC because it's mostly men who work in these places. Nobody should be trying to say we're taking up a specifically anti-woman stance. I think it would be ignorance or stupidity or some God knows what. I was reading some Alan Moore Marvelman for some reason today. I found one in the back there and I couldn't believe. I pick it up and there are loving two rapes in it and I suddenly think how many times has somebody been raped in an Alan Moore story? And I couldn't find a single one where someone wasn't raped except for Tom Strong, which I believe was a pastiche. We know Alan Moore isn't a misogynist but gently caress, he's obsessed with rape. I managed to do thirty years in comics without any rape!
It's weird (and is the only time Moore is mentioned), he also takes a swing at Chris Ware for some reason that I can't figure out due to the syntax.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Mr. Maltose posted:

Uh, do you know much about it beyond LXG? Because I would have thought the criticism self evident.

Some (probably less than what I know about Zwarte Piet, which isn't a huge amount but I get the controversy), but maybe you could actually clarify the specific criticism?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Maybe Morrison specifically means rape scenes? That's the only way it'd really work because off the top of my head, rape is basically the origin story for Crazy Jane in Doom Patrol.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zachack posted:

I've heard their feud actually started all the way back when they were both still writing strips for British fanzines in the early 1980s.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Maybe Morrison specifically means rape scenes? That's the only way it'd really work because off the top of my head, rape is basically the origin story for Crazy Jane in Doom Patrol.

Even then there's a fairly graphic rape scene in Lord Fanny's backstory arc in The Invisibles.

I'm starting to realize that a conversation about cataloging rape scenes in comics is not promising territory though so I'll stop now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember there was some implied threats of rape too in Final Crisis.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

GorfZaplen posted:

The Filth has a Max Hardcore stand-in grab and rape a delivery guy and a guy with magic black jizz use pheromones to roofie/rape a woman who captured him, all in the same issue. The latter doesn't explicitly show the rape but really only in the sense of "missing reel here".

quote:

I've heard their feud actually started all the way back when they were both still writing strips for British fanzines in the early 1980s.
I'd love it if it all started over a disagreement regarding who was more annoying, Walter the Wobot or Maria.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 11, 2014

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Since the topic is UK writers, I just finished Moore's run on Supreme and who was Billy Friday supposed to be? Millar? Ennis? A pastiche of writers that symbolize that era? A couple times it felt like something very specific was being referenced but without having read every comic ever I wouldn't be able to place it.

Also I'll never get over how Liefeld was the starting point for stuff like Supreme or the current runs of Prophet and Glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zachack posted:

Since the topic is UK writers, I just finished Moore's run on Supreme and who was Billy Friday supposed to be? Millar? Ennis? A pastiche of writers that symbolize that era? A couple times it felt like something very specific was being referenced but without having read every comic ever I wouldn't be able to place it.

Also I'll never get over how Liefeld was the starting point for stuff like Supreme or the current runs of Prophet and Glory.

Jimmy Olsen

• Locked thread