Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

fivegears4reverse posted:

Platinum for making all the games, ever.

NBA2K15, with dynamic soundtrack including songs like "A Baller I Remain" and "The Fouls of Time". Official NBA license allows player likenesses in the game, but everyone is a cyborg, with predictable results.

What makes this especially terrible is WHAT THE gently caress MORE DO YOU NEED FROM F-ZERO? It literally requires like three things: 80's Cartoon Action Heroes and Villains, Stupidly Fast Cars, and Insane Race Courses.

Uh you need a gimmick clearly. What do you think Nintendo is amateurs? The Wii had a gimmick in every game and they sold awesome, so all games should have a gimmick because gimmicks make games good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Another character was just announced for Smash, that makes three in less than 30 days. Don't know if that means anything, but if they keep up the pace I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Smash by Summer.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zachack posted:

Where did you get this number from? 3D World is currently under 500k in Japan and only sold 215k in the US in November. No one knows the EU numbers but it's off the UK top 40 and the console is basically dead there.

VGChartz Yo!

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

No. I just don't really get the whole, "nintendo is doomed" thing. Didn't Nintendo just become more valuable than Sony on the stock market?

There are many ways to valuate if a video game company is doomed. Hardware sales, game selection, profits, and stock price are four of the key ones. I don't think any of the big three has been fortunate enough to have all four going for them at once. People will generally pick one of them to attack the other company in terms of why it's not successful compared to the other.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

"The Wii U is doomed" and "Nintendo is doomed" get mixed up a lot. Nintendo's future is interesting speculative discussion, but nobody is asserting that they will cease to exist.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Toady posted:

"The Wii U is doomed" and "Nintendo is doomed" get mixed up a lot. Nintendo's future is interesting speculative discussion, but nobody is asserting that they will cease to exist.

And "the WiiU is doomed" can further be divided into "a lackluster third-place run a la the Gamecube" and "kill it now, hope nobody notices, start over."

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

THE loving MOON posted:

Another character was just announced for Smash, that makes three in less than 30 days. Don't know if that means anything, but if they keep up the pace I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Smash by Summer.

Smash is most certainly coming out sometime this year, and I don't know why people keep talking as though the release date is "slipping" into 2015. The release estimate has never budged since the game was announced.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Supercar Gautier posted:

Smash is most certainly coming out sometime this year, and I don't know why people keep talking as though the release date is "slipping" into 2015. The release estimate has never budged since the game was announced.

Probably because a number of Nintendo games tend to have their dates pushed up when they're supposedly close to release.

Then there's the whole Nintendo can't into HD which caused the delay of a number of their anticipated titles.

Smash is so big that I would assume that is not the case but who knows.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's just pessimism/joking around, Nintendo has hosed up just about everything else WiiU-related, why not top off the poo poo cake by pushing back the release of what is probably the only game coming out in the near future that has any hope of reigniting generating any interest in the console?

It'll be out this year because holy poo poo, 2015 is just way too late. 2014 is too, for that matter.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 10, 2014

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

Install Windows posted:

Microsoft is worth 15 Nintendos on the stock market, therefore Nintendo has lost.

Microsoft isn't just a games company. Let's spin the Xbox division off into its own company and see how it does.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Probably because a number of Nintendo games tend to have their dates pushed up when they're supposedly close to release.

Then there's the whole Nintendo can't into HD which caused the delay of a number of their anticipated titles.

Smash is so big that I would assume that is not the case but who knows.

There isn't some fundamental characteristic of Nintendo that makes HD difficult for their teams. What happened around launch was that they underestimated the resources and staff that they would need to allocate, so Pikmin 3 and other projects got bumped so they could finish Nintendoland. That's a management issue, not a technical hurdle. As long as they've beefed up their staff accordingly, then the ripple effects of the initial fuckup should be fading over time, not perennially reoccurring.

Besides that, SSB is being developed by Sora and Namco, not EAD. Factor in that heavy legwork on the game began in summer 2012, a fall 2014 release would mean a development cycle about as long as what Brawl had.

Basically I just don't know what happened between June and now that made people suddenly distrust the 2014 release estimate.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nintendo won't even parcel out F-Zero to another studio because they themselves cannot think what to do with it. There's a good number of studios who probably could design a decent F-Zero game though.

TaurusOxford posted:

Just give it to Sega again - end of discussion.

Overused alternative: Platinum makes a Captain Falcon character action game. :v:

Unfortunately the team that made F-Zero GX and the Monkey Ball games, Amusement Vision, has been closed down. I'd be all over anything Platinum did with the series.

The big problem with Nintendo even funding a new F-Zero game is that they can't waste development time on a game that isn't guaranteed to be popular. Being the sole developer responsible for selling the entire console means they have to make every game as mass-market as possible. Once a system has taken off like the 3DS did, they can give their teams the chance to make something more niche, but right now they need guaranteed multi-million sellers. They'd rather make a bland, accessible game like Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword than an experimental, love or hate it game like Majora's Mask.

New Super Mario Bros. U shows that the enormous number of people who had played the previous games on the DS, Wii, and 3DS weren't desperate for another one. It had a huge attach rate probably because it was the only Nintendo game on the system besides Nintendoland, and nobody's buying the system for its third-party lineup.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THE loving MOON posted:

It's just pessimism/joking around, Nintendo has hosed up just about everything else WiiU-related, why not top off the poo poo cake by pushing back the release of what is probably the only game coming out in the near future that has any hope of reigniting generating any interest in the console?

It'll be out this year because holy poo poo, 2015 is just way too late. 2014 is too, for that matter.

I'd like it to be out this year, but I think that just like every other game that people said would light the fires under the system, this will probably disappoint those expecting miracles.

Brawl, regardless of how well it sold, sold well more because it was a sequel to a popular game being released on a popular system. The Wii U isn't popular, Brawl split the fanbase ideologically, and Smash U is also going to be available on the 3DS, a much more popular system. Like everything else about the Wii U, there's a lot more working against it than there are things in its favor.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The Wii U will probably find a way to survive but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends like the Gamecube- slowly cranking out first-party titles and getting some rogue 3rd party support as the system finally finds an install base, but it'll never find parity with the XBone/PS4 just like the Gamecube was always dealt the short stack compared to the X-Box/PS2. It's even starting to show signs of many of the same things Nintendo did to pump lifeblood into the Gamecube- handing Zelda to Koei for a Warriors game feels a lot like passing Sega F-Zero or Namco Star Fox in that Nintendo knows they need to get more games out so why not get other companies eager for work the chance to help pad the library and get a crack at that sweet sweet Nintendo franchise cash. That said, even if they can get some other 3rd parties on board finally giving them some of their non-AAA talent, it is probably a major case of 'too little, too late' when they have managed to deal every other card in the deck against themselves.

At least it is a sign that Nintendo isn't going to just bail on the Wii U even if it's pretty much destined to languish in a very distant third place in a three man race, which would probably alienate their core audience and very possibly make Nintendo's next console their actual Dreamcast. It's easy to forget the lessons of the past, but Sega's already demonstrated what happens when you just pull the rug outside your user base to try and get a leg up on the next go-around, as they went from a wildly popular console to a under-supported mishandled pariah to a console that was just doomed to failure because of too many previous misdeeds plus a few poor decisions building the thing. The Wii U isn't Nintendo's Dreamcast, but it could very well be their Saturn.

On the counterpoint, Nintendo does have a glimmer of light: it's two biggest console sellers coming out this year barring release date slippage. Forget Mario World. Ignore Zelda. Time has proven that the single biggest franchise Nintendo has going for it sales-wise is Mario Kart and I would genuinely raise an eyebrow if Mario Kart 8 came and went without giving Wii U sales a shot in the arm- the biggest question being if it's just a spike around MK8's release or a sustainable boost in sales. Following that, Super Smash Brothers is probably responsible for more Gamecube and Wii sales to core gamers then any other Nintendo franchise maybe bar Zelda and has some major casual appeal Zelda lacks. A strong advertising push for SSB when Mario Kart 8 hits could steer this ship towards calmer waters, especially if the miracle happens and SSB hits sometime in Summer, not too long after MK8 arrives.

Of course, the console could still be stuck languishing, and at this point Nintendo would have nobody to blame except Nintendo. They've just managed to get so much wrong this time around that success would at this point would simply be in spite of the Wii U.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

That loving Sned posted:

The big problem with Nintendo even funding a new F-Zero game is that they can't waste development time on a game that isn't guaranteed to be popular. Being the sole developer responsible for selling the entire console means they have to make every game as mass-market as possible.

They should hire more people then, that's what most companies do when they have more work than the people that work there can handle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astro7x posted:

They should hire more people then, that's what most companies do when they have more work than the people that work there can handle.

Even if they hire more people, it is pointless to hire more people to invest in a game that is fairly unlikely to be worth the investment. They would be better off using new people to increase productivity on their more popular franchises or to invest in a new IP.

F-Zero, even a good F-Zero, is not going to attract a lot of attention to the system. It has never been a system seller and never been a hugely popular franchise. No amount of "I really like F-Zero" is going to change that. It does absolutely nothing for them. It isn't going to attract attention with a new or unexpected IP and it isn't going to leverage a strong existing IP into a product people want to buy, and those are the two things Nintendo most would need in the foreseeable future.

Niche titles are becoming less viable on every system. It isn't worth it. This isn't even just Nintendo. No amount of people hired is going to change the fact that every major company on the market has things that are more worthwhile to invest in. New IPs or experiences do exist but even those tend to be focused around mass market appeal. Indie games and downloadable games are filling the hole those sorts of games used to inhabit. You could make F-Zero Whatever a downloadable title or a 3DS title but even then it becomes a question of it being worth the production budget and development time when, again, you could do a new IP or leverage an existing IP that would have a lower budget than a full-on arcade racing game would demand.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 10, 2014

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro7x posted:

VGChartz Yo!
Presenting VGChartz numbers without admitting your source should be probatable.

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

Microsoft isn't just a games company. Let's spin the Xbox division off into its own company and see how it does.

Please tell us more about how those stock market values are relevant to the Wii U being a massive failure, which is what this thread is about.

Mr. Locke posted:

Following that, Super Smash Brothers is probably responsible for more Gamecube and Wii sales to core gamers then any other Nintendo franchise maybe bar Zelda and has some major casual appeal Zelda lacks. A strong advertising push for SSB when Mario Kart 8 hits could steer this ship towards calmer waters, especially if the miracle happens and SSB hits sometime in Summer, not too long after MK8 arrives.
Conversely by Summer the other consoles will start having the major post-launch releases like MGS and Titanfall, plus the PS4 will have launched in Japan. Not to say Smash and MK won't sell, but there's always going to be new competition, and at the current rate the Wii U will be 3rd best selling console this generation pretty soon.

Plus really, expecting Nintendo to push any meaningful amount of marketing around is ridiculous. They promised a bit relaunch and advertising push for the Wii U before Christmas in the UK and I saw genuinely nothing for it. Apparently they did some kiddie targeted stuff, but very little elsewhere.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

F-Zero, even a good F-Zero, is not going to attract a lot of attention to the system. It has never been a system seller and never been a hugely popular franchise. No amount of "I really like F-Zero" is going to change that. It does absolutely nothing for them.

F-Zero GX got Players Choice / Nintendo Select status on the Gamecube, so I don't really buy "F-Zero isn't popular" when Nintendo gave their last F-Zero title a This-Game-Is-Popular award.

Although I agree it won't save the system, it's still a good shakeup from the usual Mario fare. More variety is good.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Spiffo posted:

F-Zero GX got Players Choice / Nintendo Select status on the Gamecube, so I don't really buy "F-Zero isn't popular" when Nintendo gave their last F-Zero title a This-Game-Is-Popular award.

quote:

In Japan, F-Zero GX sold 100,981 units[79] and became qualified for the Player's Choice line in both Europe[80] and North America[81] by selling at least 250,000 copies.[82]

Relatively popular, but not enough to encourage a sequel.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ImpAtom posted:

Even if they hire more people, it is pointless to hire more people to invest in a game that is fairly unlikely to be worth the investment. They would be better off using new people to increase productivity on their more popular franchises or to invest in a new IP.

Well if the lack of workforce has been the reason they have been so slow to release games, they need to start hiring more people anyway.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I thought it was pretty clear that when Mario Kart was labeled "Spring 2014" and Smash 4 was labeled "2014" that that was indicating that Smash 4 was likely looking at a November/December Christmas-season release date.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
It's a weird misconception that just hiring people is going to speed up development. Oftentimes when you hire new people on, the more experienced employees spend more of their time training the new hires and productivity goes down in the interim.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

illcendiary posted:

It's a weird misconception that just hiring people is going to speed up development. Oftentimes when you hire new people on, the more experienced employees spend more of their time training the new hires and productivity goes down in the interim.

I'm well aware of The Mythical Man Month, but Nintendo is having problems producing games on time on a consistent basis.

Yes, hiring a bunch of new people to speed up the progress of a single project in the short-term is counterintuitive because those people's training becomes a drag on your established developers. However, if multiple projects are constantly running behind, that's a cue that you need to hire more developers and take the short-term productivity hit for the long-term increase in production.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Nintendo has been speeding up projects by getting the Retro and Monolith studios to help complete games like Mario Kart 7 and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

illcendiary posted:

I guess it is kind of hard to just throw a franchise at a team and hope it turns out well. The team that did GP Legend created a really bland F-Zero game. But they also created the horrible Wario Master of Disguise game, so maybe they should just be banned from working on games for them.

Miyamoto apparently didn't like the work that the third party studios did on F-Zero and Star Fox, stating disappointment in the way that they were handled.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yes, it does. Like, this isn't even a question, the PS3 has a huge library of games after being released 7 odd years ago, and a lot of those games are better than a huge chunk of the WiiU's library. There are games that are equally as good on the WiiU, but there are nowhere near as many of them.

As I said, if you'd actually read what I posted, there's no doubt that the PS3 has MORE games. Why would that be in debate. I said I couldn't really say that it has BETTER games.
Talk all you want about it have a larger library, but when it comes to the subjective bit about BETTER games, PS3 does not, in my opinion, have better games. Like, this isn't even a question.

Almost Smart posted:

We're eight days into the new year, but this is going to be a forerunner for the dumbest thing posted in this forum in 2014.

Ahh, you're one of those "opinions, how do they work?" people.
Also not good with the reading comprehension thing. Kinda puts your statement here into the running as well.

KittyEmpress posted:

If you like Mario and playing the same Zelda as years ago (Hey! That was one of the worst selling Zeldas ever! But now people think its amazing. Gee, Sunshine sure sucks still)

Sunshine could be pretty great if it was spruced up both graphically and gameplay-wise like The Wind Waker was. In HD, with some gameplay tweaks and a better camera, I would absolutely buy it and enjoy it. Again.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Actually videogames are videogames they were never toys. The only time they're considered toys is if a toy come packaged with it(i.e. Skylanders).

NES only got sold with ROB because right after the crash they tried to pass it off as a toy because retailers didn't want to stock videogames. But yeah they were never toys.

Games are toys. I don't see any room for a distinction.

KittyEmpress posted:

The Wii U sucks and anyone who bought it who doesn't love every nintendo IP is probably not going to get nearly their money's worth. And it will eventually dip down to being a hundred bucks in a year or two, just like the Gamecube did.

Already got my money's worth, and I don't love every Nintendo IP. Monster Hunter, Zombi U, and The Wonderful 101 have contributed to that feeling of it being a worthwhile console, quite a bit actually. As a gaming platform that I have had for just over a year, it has delivered. And I have no reason to believe it won't continue to deliver some more great games - Bayonetta 2 and Project CARS being two games I'm looking forward to playing on it. Plus, I like the Gamepad. I use it all the time, to turn on the TV and console, put videos up on the tv and browse the internet, playing games away from the TV. I use the drat thing quite a bit, and I like it.
So while it is perfectly understandable that it doesn't fit everyone's needs or wants, it doesn't mean much at all to me to see someone saying it sucks, but it is a bit of a stretch to make the claims that you are making above. And I hope that Nintendo finds a reasonable way to drastically lower the price in the next year or two so that more people will have a reason to get one and a lot of those people will probly like it, actually. Because it seems to me that a fair proportion of the people who do have one, like it.

Spiffo posted:

If someone says they like or don't like "PS3 games" (and down the line, PS4 games) it's a nonsensical statement because that's like all the games by everybody.

Guess what? I have a PC, I have a 360. The only thing that would cause me to get a PS3 at this point is a really cheap deal on one - like really really cheap deal - because there are only as very few games that I want to spend more time with that are PS3 exclusive. 3 or 4 titles that I have played on friends' PS3s, such as Guacamelee and Dragon's Crown, that would justify my owning one. I don't give one gently caress about Uncharted, Forza 3 & 4 take care of the genre that GT fills, I had my fill of God of War on PS2, TLoU bored me. I can certify that the bulk of PS3 exclusives do nothing for me, though I consider the PS3 to be the superior console in relation to the 360. Having a 360 is more or less just a product of circumstance, and now I know that I could own either one and not feel any need to own the other, hence my apathy to the PS3 library.
The games I wouldn't want to miss on the Wii U already justify my owning it because they definitely won't be on a sony or microsoft console and won't be on PC either.

TheEggsBenedict posted:

the Wii U is a thrash console.

Thrash Console. Awesome.

Astro7x posted:

Nintendo has been expanding and they have not been laying of their staff. New buildings are being bought, built, and moved into. Anyone can make a case for the idea that it should have all happened much sooner, sure. But they are growing and acquiring more workspace.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

As I said, if you'd actually read what I posted, there's no doubt that the PS3 has MORE games. Why would that be in debate. I said I couldn't really say that it has BETTER games.
Talk all you want about it have a larger library, but when it comes to the subjective bit about BETTER games, PS3 does not, in my opinion, have better games. Like, this isn't even a question.

Are Nintendo fans born this stupid, or is it a learned trait? Anyone that says the loving Wii U has better games than the PS3 is either masterfully trolling or is enthusiastically ignorant. "BUT IT IS WHAT I FEEEEEEEEEEEL" nobody is debating your stupid idiotic feelings, we are having a discussion about the merits of the systems, and nobody except the most Stockholm Syndrome'd cases would ever say such a stupid thing.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

:allears: Now I remember why I still have this thread bookmarked.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

abagofcheetos posted:

Are Nintendo fans born this stupid, or is it a learned trait? Anyone that says the loving Wii U has better games than the PS3 is either masterfully trolling or is enthusiastically ignorant. "BUT IT IS WHAT I FEEEEEEEEEEEL" nobody is debating your stupid idiotic feelings, we are having a discussion about the merits of the systems, and nobody except the most Stockholm Syndrome'd cases would ever say such a stupid thing.

Lets be fair, console warriors who ignore reality and troll hard for replies are awful regardless of the system they back.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Holy poo poo shuuuuut the fuuuuckk upppppp. Why have there been like three really irritating console warrior idiots in this thread the last week?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm not sure he's serious but he sure typed a lot of :words: if he's not.

*argues for 3 pages over the definition of "toy"*

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

Sunshine could be pretty great if it was spruced up both graphically and gameplay-wise like The Wind Waker was. In HD, with some gameplay tweaks and a better camera, I would absolutely buy it and enjoy it. Again.

Maybe I've been a bit generous to Sunshine, especially after having so much trouble on the Blooper-surfing red coins level in Ricco Harbour, but the camera is very good in this game. It's a lot better when you're able to remap the horizontal axis in Dolphin, but the game basically gives you complete control over it, like Dark Souls. Since the game isn't about linear progression through levels, outside of the secret stages, letting you look around freely rather than rely on pre-set angles like 64 and Galaxy feels less constricting. The Wind Waker's the same way, and I like how in both games up and down are used to zoom into your character, or get a really expansive view of the area around you.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

abagofcheetos posted:

You know if that's how Jumbled_Johnsons feels then fine. I'm not one to debate an opinion like that. Saying which console has better games or which game/console is better is really subjective to opinion. What I will say is that if we are comparing the titles on Wii U vs. PS3 (or PS4/XB1 for that matter.) I would use the words quantity and verity. Sure Mario Kart and Smash are coming by the summer/fall by 2014, but will they boost the numbers of consoles sold to keep the Wii U relevant. I'm not sure that it can. Also as someone else posted earlier, the PS4/XB1 are going to have big games (MGS,Infamous,Titanfall) summer not to mention what they will announce during the summer at trade shows like E3.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

Games are toys. I don't see any room for a distinction.

It doesn't make sense to me to think of games in that way. I define toys to be knickknacks or trinkets with no associated goals. Videogames are interactive entertainment and reside in the same cultural space as, for example, summer movies.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Patter Song posted:

I thought it was pretty clear that when Mario Kart was labeled "Spring 2014" and Smash 4 was labeled "2014" that that was indicating that Smash 4 was likely looking at a November/December Christmas-season release date.

Aren't there two other seasons, or did kindergarten lie to me?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bruceski posted:

Aren't there two other seasons, or did kindergarten lie to me?

Yeah, clearly it will come out in fall because it will be 6 months after Mario Kart, because staggering your releases means people will buy both, because there is nothing else out.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, clearly it will come out in fall because it will be 6 months after Mario Kart, because staggering your releases means people will buy both, because there is nothing else out.

If first party titles sell so well over the long term, why is there a need to space them out at all?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I buy into VC releases being staggered but I'm sure the retail games' dates moving around has more to do with Nintendo being understaffed and unprepared to produce HD games.

That being said, they've never given any indication about when in 2014 Smash was going to be released. Technically I don't think they've even said that the 3DS and Wii U versions would launch on the same day. There are probably reasonable arguments for and against it (I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter because 3DS Smash sales will destroy Wii U Smash sales). But there's a chance that one will launch separately from the other, especially if there's no cross-buy promotion (which Nintendo has yet to do so far).

The one thing about Smash that's a little different is that Namco is involved in it so it's not necessarily going to fall prey to the inadequacies that resulted in Pikmin, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart being delayed.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Astro7x posted:

If first party titles sell so well over the long term, why is there a need to space them out at all?

Because there's the potential for sales of one game to cannibalize the other, and to bolster quarterly earnings through successful launches.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toady posted:

It doesn't make sense to me to think of games in that way. I define toys to be knickknacks or trinkets with no associated goals. Videogames are interactive entertainment and reside in the same cultural space as, for example, summer movies.

That may be your definition but it really isn't what toys are. I mean something like LEGO is generally classified as a toy, as are many board games.

I don't think there's anything wrong with classifying games as a toy unless you have an innate negative reaction to the idea that you're playing with a toy because in your mind toy = thing for babies. I don't want to get all "the dictionary says..." here but one of the literal dictionary definitions for toy is "something that an adult buys or uses for enjoyment or entertainment."

That said it's generally not the best way to refer to it because a lot of people do have an innate negative response to the word toy and assuming someone is saying that all video games are babby toys for babbies and whether you're calling them toys or not, it doesn't mean poo poo when it comes to actually discussing them. It isn't like expectations for games suddenly change on if they're toys or Interactive Computer Entertainment.

Louisgod posted:

Because there's the potential for sales of one game to cannibalize the other, and to bolster quarterly earnings through successful launches.

It also eats up marketing budget and increases the chance of saturation. Even when you're doing as lovely marketing as Nintendo, you generally want to focus on specific spots without overlapping because there are prime spots to market in and you're spending a lot more to run multiple ads in a single timeframe. If you diversify more it's easier to do so but Nintendo's games all tend to have the same kind of marketing zone.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That may be your definition but it really isn't what toys are. I mean something like LEGO is generally classified as a toy, as are many board games.

I agree with Chris Crawford's distinction that a game is a goal-oriented activity with active agents that can interfere with each other. It doesn't make sense to me to classify chess or poker as a toy.

• Locked thread