Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CitizenKain posted:

One of our telco providers had something from Legend of Zelda as their hold music.

I got to pick our hold music for the month (or some period of time, I dunno.) It's "Watching the Detectives" by Elvis Costello.

If that wasn't allowed I was gonna pick a Doobie Brothers song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

We don't have hold music. If we put you on hold you get silence until someone picks up the phone and if nobody answers, you can leave a voicemail that the system promptly discards. Actually, I don't know if it discards it, but it certainly won't flash the new message light on my phone or be retrievable if I call the voicemail system. On the off chance that I get a call and message that are actually important, I leave my office phone forwarded to my cell phone every second that I'm out of my office.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

Was it I Want a New Drug?

No, it had no words :(

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

fivre posted:

A call came. 30 minutes of heavy breathing while customer slowly did everything themselves and I basically did nothing. One of those calls I hope got QAed so a bunch of managers were stuck sitting around listening to it.

Do you work for a phone sex company?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

spog posted:

:golfclap:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

spog posted:

There used to be days when I thought that people called / skyped about their problems because they didn't have anybody to talk to.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

One of our telco providers had something from Legend of Zelda as their hold music.

My first ever manager used to work at BASF. The company had the great idea to tell him that he will be laid off effective in two weeks.

What they neglected to check was if he had control over the music used for the internal help desk hold music for all of BASF, the giant global chemical company.

He told me that he put on:

-Polish funeral dirges
-We're Not Gonna Take It
-The Soviet national anthem
-I think a Creed song or two

My current job outsources to a small VoIP company with the capability to turn any .wav into hold music. It's a $20 one-time cost to enable it. Very tempted to invest that money for the Mos Eisley cantina music as our hold tune.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
A ticketmaster ticket came in

They're going to stop supporting any use of hosted ARCHTICS from windows XP when Microsoft EOLs it. I am thrilled, because this means I will be able to get rid of basically all of our winxp machines I have been warning management about in the face of a wall of "we can't afford to replace working hardware, we're not made of money!"

Hopefully this will help with the problem where interns have to use 5+ year old winxp laptops to do basically all of the cpu/disk io/graphics intensive work in the business, while the fulltime employees and management browse the web and send emails on beefy new laptops, and then complain their interns can barely do their work because their computers are too slow.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

tehloki posted:

Hopefully this will help with the problem where interns have to use 5+ year old winxp laptops to do basically all of the cpu/disk io/graphics intensive work in the business, while the fulltime employees and management browse the web and send emails on beefy new laptops, and then complain their interns can barely do their work because their computers are too slow.

I will never cease to be amazed by managers like this. There is some disconnect in their brains that doesn't allow them to take the logic train that giving underlings lovely hardware = giving them slow and lovely computers. I could never fully appreciate how dumb they are until this Vsauce video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw8idyw_N6Q

At about 9 minutes in he talks about the illusion of control, and a study where some stock traders in London were given a real-time graph of stock prices and three useless buttons which they were told could affect the graph in some way. The full article is here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1348/096317903321208880/abstract

TL;DR- The people who felt the most like they could control the stock prices with the three buttons scored the lowest on risk-management tests and were, statistically, the lowest performing people in their company. I didn't see if they noted how many of them were managers, but it's a really eye opening experiment as to how lovely corporate structure is.

Content:

A ticket came in from a user who wants the USB ports on her monitor connected. Easy enough, get a USB A to B cable and go stick it in.

When I got to her cube, it turns out she already had one of the Dells floating around specifically bought for people who need lots of USB. These things have about 6 in the back, a PCI card for two more, and 2 more in the front. This lady was using all of them. She didn't even have a keyboard and mouse hooked up, she brought in her own wi-fi versions. I never figured out what all of them were being used for, but she claimed all of them were critical and could not be unplugged, or would not reach the monitor. After about 30 minutes I ended up just leaving the cable on her desk and walking out. I almost got reprimanded by her boss until mine pointed out she should have done a hardware upgrade request anyway (I didn't even know that was a thing for something as trivial as this). This is my last week on the job though, moving to a tiny IT school to basically run the entire network myself.

Best quote from this incident: (said with much frustration) "Can't you just make it work through the monitor cable!?!"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
An email came in:

quote:

I forgot to tell you but [employee] needs her email checked out on her computer, I think she filled it up.

I go check with the employee and her explanation is "My email is really slow."

:v: Let me see what we've got going on here.

Outlook is completely unresponsive, all I can see is that she has 25,000 unread emails. She apparently has ten times that amount in read emails. Her data file is twenty goddamned gigs.

:v: You're going to have to start deleting old mail. This is absurd.
:downs: But I need all these mails!
:v: You have mail in here from someone else's account from eight years ago!
:downs: I need those!

I'm not allowed to delete any of her hundreds of thousands of emails. :suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I love that my job has a 2 gig limit and if you don't like it then too loving bad. No exceptions.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

larchesdanrew posted:

An email came in:

Outlook is completely unresponsive, all I can see is that she has 25,000 unread emails. She apparently has ten times that amount in read emails. Her data file is twenty goddamned gigs.

"I'm sorry, but if you have a PST file that large then we can't do anything."

That's one thing that annoys me about users, if you explain to someone that something's explicitly not possible either by design or by the user's own fault, they still expect you to engineer a solution.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
:yotj: My first real IT job. Medical field. Yay

My new boss asked me if there was a way, to see what time a file is accessed on a drive. What auditing software will show this?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mspfe/archive/2013/08/27/auditing-file-access-on-file-servers.aspx

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mpyro posted:

:yotj: My first real IT job. Medical field. Yay

My new boss asked me if there was a way, to see what time a file is accessed on a drive. What auditing software will show this?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mspfe/archive/2013/08/27/auditing-file-access-on-file-servers.aspx

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Thank you both of you

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

That's one thing that annoys me about users, if you explain to someone that something's explicitly not possible either by design or by the user's own fault, they still expect you to engineer a solution.

It's been my experience that users don't really have any concept of limitations with regard to technology. Which is why you get questions like "Why doesn't it just work?"

Every now and then someone will ask me something like "But why did it crash? It shouldn't just crash." Which is basically the result of regarding computers as magic boxes. They bought this commercial software -- MS Office, say -- and the idea that it might be in some way imperfect has never occurred to them.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

guppy posted:

It's been my experience that users don't really have any concept of limitations with regard to technology. Which is why you get questions like "Why doesn't it just work?"

Every now and then someone will ask me something like "But why did it crash? It shouldn't just crash." Which is basically the result of regarding computers as magic boxes. They bought this commercial software -- MS Office, say -- and the idea that it might be in some way imperfect has never occurred to them.

My boss is horrible about this.. Anytime I tell him something can't be done with what we have currently (because he is to drat cheap to upgrade stuff) his favorite line is "With today's technology I can't believe that it won't do that..." I cringe anytime I hear it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

stevewm posted:

My boss is horrible about this.. Anytime I tell him something can't be done with what we have currently (because he is to drat cheap to upgrade stuff) his favorite line is "With today's technology I can't believe that it won't do that..." I cringe anytime I hear it.

If you have outdated gear, wouldn't the easy retort be "Well, unfortunately sir, we don't really have 'today's technology' in the office due to budget concerns, so we have to make do with what we have?" (depending, of course, on whether such a retort would get you raked over the coals or not).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When people say "I can't believe we can't achieve x with all the technology that's available today" they normally mean "I can't believe we can't achieve x with all the technology that's available today for a price that I deem acceptable".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I throw around dollar figures quite often when people ask me stuff. "Sure we'll get you that copy of Visio Pro - give me an account number to charge the $450 to".

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

MJP posted:

My first ever manager used to work at BASF. The company had the great idea to tell him that he will be laid off effective in two weeks.

What they neglected to check was if he had control over the music used for the internal help desk hold music for all of BASF, the giant global chemical company.

He told me that he put on:

-Polish funeral dirges
-We're Not Gonna Take It
-The Soviet national anthem

So they had the decency to tell him ahead of time, and he threw it in their face, making them less likely to give notice in the future? What an rear end in a top hat.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

the littlest prince posted:

So they had the decency to tell him ahead of time, and he threw it in their face, making them less likely to give notice in the future? What an rear end in a top hat.

Uh he was doing them a favour, dirges own.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

the littlest prince posted:

They'll learn to only tell them the day they're being fired, on a Friday, at the end of the day. If it's also Christmas Eve, triple points.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

larchesdanrew posted:

An email came in:

The company I am with used to have a client where everyone had full access to everyone elses email. Most OST files tended to hover in the 20-30 GB range, though some of the more snoopy managers had OST's closer to the 70 GB range. They restricted it a little when one of the jr people on his way out, wrote a glowing letter of recommendation about himself from the CEOs email.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Or you could actually give them a real solution and help them break down the PST into yearly (or more frequent) archives so that they get to keep their email and they get good performance.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

madsushi posted:

Or you could actually give them a real solution and help them break down the PST into yearly (or more frequent) archives so that they get to keep their email and they get good performance.

I am pretty sure that turning larger psts into numerous smaller psts doesn't actually help performance all that much. It does seem to make data corruption happen less often though.

Psts are outlawed here though. Users are expected to manage their email.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I love that my job has a 2 gig limit and if you don't like it then too loving bad. No exceptions.

We auto-delete e-mails older than a year, and we do not allow PST files.

I love my company's e-mail system.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The medical record system here is currently making GBS threads the bed. Nobody seems to know why.

I love how this stuff just goes through fads. It just breaks and nobody knows why and then network and applications does some stuff behind the scene until it's mostly ok, only for it to randomly break again later.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The company I work for has a 120 MB limit on email. Which I personally think is a bit small.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Your average user in my district gets a 50MB inbox and it auto-deletes messages older than 6 months. Also : we use "FirstClass". It's kind of weird.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure that turning larger psts into numerous smaller psts doesn't actually help performance all that much. It does seem to make data corruption happen less often though.

Psts are outlawed here though. Users are expected to manage their email.

Outlook doesn't actively use any of the PSTs unless you are browsing them. The user's inbox will definitely be smaller, which will make searching and switching views much faster.

schemie
May 3, 2004

I was the on site tech support guy for the athletics department when I was in school. Most of that job was fixing printer issues and showing people how to archive email.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Uh he was doing them a favour, dirges own.
The dirges are fine, this is the problem:

MJP posted:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

MJP posted:

Hold music stories

Our Avaya IPOffice system only allows us to put an MP3 on an MP3 player and pipe it straight into the system via an audio cable. As a consequence, all hold music is just radio promo material done by our marketing dept.

But now, Lync 2010. Awwwww yes. IT's hold music has been changed to this delectable ditty.

My manager gave it "super-approval", as in "Approved, and if anyone gives you any guff about it I'll punch 'em in the throat."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

bees.mp3

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Nerdrock posted:

Also : we use "FirstClass". It's kind of weird.
Oh god you poor bastards.
One of my clients is still stuck on that decrepit excuse for a mailsystem. It's torture to work with.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

Caged posted:

bees.mp3

Chiming in to say that when I was allowed to install CallManager 8.6 in our lab, I did not setup any dial plans, route partitions or even a single device.

But simply uploaded bees.mp3 as the MOH source and default it for everything.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hate outlook so much. Mostly because 95% of our clients using it aren't doing anything they couldn't do in Thunderbird or their webmail app, so they've basically spent a couple hundred dollars for a brand name. And I've seen way too many systems that have Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, and Outlook 20xx all set up on the same account, some of them IMAP, some POP3, and the user can't tell you which one it is they actually use.

At least it's not IncrediMail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

madsushi posted:

I'll set up as many new PSTs as people want, but damned if I'm going to help them sort through an existing PST. I'm not going to spend all my day dragging messages around for them just because they still don't understand how drag-and-drop works.

I really wish my place had a rule on email retention.

• Locked thread