Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lawman 0 posted:

Does anyone know who in congress is pro-legalization?

In spite of all the nasty poo poo people say about Texas, we give you Congressman Beto O'Rourke, Democrat from El Paso, who campaigned in favor of marijuana legalization.

Kyrosiris posted:

There was a similar piece of tripe on the Dallas Morning News yesterday that basically amounted to "poor blacks will just spend their money on getting high if it's legal!".

The same bullshit argument they used decades ago to argue against horse racing and the lottery.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Jared Polis is my congressman, and he became internet famous for a few days after grilling the head of the DEA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCDZkXNfGNs

He's pretty pro legalization and has been fighting the various federal agencies throughout Colorado's medicinal/legalization process. But he's a gay jew so he'll never move beyond this level of politics.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Install Windows posted:

Whenever you see someone using toxin and toxic who isn't a scientist, first try replacing every use of "toxin" with "demon" and "toxic" with "demonic" and see if what they said makes more sense then.

Steeling this and blind posting on all social media thanks

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Parlett316 posted:

Steeling this and blind posting on all social media thanks
'Toxin' and its cousin 'detox' are two words that AFAIK have no legitimate scientific meaning anywhere and are 100% guaranteed indications that somebody is trying to grift you.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

radical meme posted:

The same bullshit argument they used decades ago to argue against horse racing and the lottery.

You know who shouldn't use cannabis — them poor blacks, that’s who. My God, they will spend the milk money. They don’t know how to control it. They can’t handle it .They can't even afford to get help.

We should not advocate cannabis legalisation because them poor blacks will inevitably get themselves into a mess because they won't be able to resist the pot stores. You know how they are...

Dr A. Porot 1939; League of Nations Sub-Committee on Cannabis posted:

The... African native...‘has a peculiar propensity towards drug addiction. It has been said that he is a born drug addict... his essentially passive temperament leaves him without defense against temptation. He lives from day to day, at the mercy of his instincts and desires. He has no idea of making provision for the future, and abandons himself to the satisfaction of his immediate needs. … Owing to his lack of mental and moral powers of resistance, the native soon falls into the state of decline and moral decay which follows too wholesale or long an indulgence in drugs. Similarly, his entirely instinctive way of life, the fact that his behavior is dictated solely by immediate reaction, and his fundamentally impulsive nature, soon give to his crises of intoxication a violent and tragic character’. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1478-0542.2010.00740.x/abstract

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 10, 2014

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

TACD posted:

'Toxin' and its cousin 'detox' are two words that AFAIK have no legitimate scientific meaning anywhere and are 100% guaranteed indications that somebody is trying to grift you.

Toxin at least has a valid scientific meaning. It's specifically a poisonous substance produced by an organism, see eg neurotoxin, tetrodotoxin etc.

Outside of that pretty specific context though it is definitely a massive red flag, like people who use the word "cleanse" or talk about how modern lifestyles are so much less healthy than prehistoric ones.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

KingEup posted:

From the Washington Times comes this gem:

Love it. Someone should ask whoever wrote that brilliant piece of editorial gold to explain what THC receptor sites in the nervous system are for if it is indeed a "toxin".

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

XMNN posted:

Toxin at least has a valid scientific meaning. It's specifically a poisonous substance produced by an organism, see eg neurotoxin, tetrodotoxin etc.

Outside of that pretty specific context though it is definitely a massive red flag, like people who use the word "cleanse" or talk about how modern lifestyles are so much less healthy than prehistoric ones.

Leave my Paleo-diet out of this.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Breast milk contains cannabinoids.

Therefore breast milk is toxic.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 10, 2014

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Then brother, I don't wanna be cleansed

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
E: nvm

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My work is being transferred to CO, and you wouldn't believe how many people are freaking out because their kids will turn into weed huffing junkies. Most people are still not very enlightened, but on the plus side, it's started up some good discussions.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

KingEup posted:

From the Washington Times comes this gem:

This is really silly, especially this part:

quote:

“Nothing positive will come out of it,” he stated. “You’re going to have lower test scores and a class of people who are unemployable because they are stoned all the time. People are going to die on ski slopes, on the roads.”

Speaking anecdotally, there a shitload of people in my call center alone who smoke weed on the regular and sometimes come in to work high or go smoke in their cars on lunch break. It definitely doesn't keep them from doing their jobs.

Also, if people are dying on the ski slopes from being high on weed, where are all the innumerable news stories from before of stoners dying on the slopes with weed in their system post-mortem? It's not like with legalization people are suddenly going to start dropping off like lemmings, many people have been high on the slopes before and many more people will be high on the slopes on the future.

So, yeah, these articles are just symptomatic of the death throes of mindless societal bias and prejudice against stoners. The ignorance is palpable.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the ski/snowboarding thread had a pretty good chuckle at those who worry that snowboarders might start riding high

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

District Selectman posted:

My work is being transferred to CO, and you wouldn't believe how many people are freaking out because their kids will turn into weed huffing junkies. Most people are still not very enlightened, but on the plus side, it's started up some good discussions.
They should be concerned, if their kids are over age 21...

And again; there are so many bars at the top of ski lifts it's not even funny. I'm pretty sure this is a new talking point because the only thing people used to know about Colorado is "they ski there" and now that's being combined with the 2nd only thing anyone knows about Colorado "they have weed."

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

KingEup posted:

You know who shouldn't use cannabis — them poor blacks, that’s who. My God, they will spend the milk money. They don’t know how to control it. They can’t handle it .They can't even afford to get help.

We should not advocate cannabis legalisation because them poor blacks will inevitably get themselves into a mess because they won't be able to resist the pot stores. You know how they are...
The whole reason we made weed illegal was because our pretty white daughters were getting stoned with black men in jazz clubs.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Also, if people are dying on the ski slopes from being high on weed, where are all the innumerable news stories from before of stoners dying on the slopes with weed in their system post-mortem?

We can't let the athletes smoke while skiing/snow boarding! They might win Olympic gold!

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

HBNRW posted:

We can't let the athletes smoke while skiing/snow boarding! They might win Olympic gold!

Did you say Olympic Gold?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can we talk about pricing in Colorado and other places that are legal (say, Amsterdam) or is that gonna get me probated?

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can we talk about pricing in Colorado and other places that are legal (say, Amsterdam) or is that gonna get me probated?

That's interesting, will you get probated if you can't prove you live in Colorado?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Parlett316 posted:

That's interesting, will you get probated if you can't prove you live in Colorado?

Even if you don't live in Colorado, you can buy in Colorado. But on the other hand, it's still technically illegal...

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Boris Galerkin posted:

you should probably stop posting just to be safe!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yes but ill close the thread if people start bragging about how cheap their weed is.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Speaking anecdotally, there a shitload of people in my call center alone who smoke weed on the regular and sometimes come in to work high or go smoke in their cars on lunch break. It definitely doesn't keep them from doing their jobs.

I have coworkers that are undoubtedly high most of the time, and I work in a dress-code-enforced corporate setting. There really is nothing to claims that smoking weed keeps you from getting and holding good jobs, as long as you take a break from the herb long enough to piss clean between jobs.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

EightBit posted:

I have coworkers that are undoubtedly high most of the time, and I work in a dress-code-enforced corporate setting. There really is nothing to claims that smoking weed keeps you from getting and holding good jobs, as long as you take a break from the herb long enough to piss clean between jobs.

The only thing preventing users from getting and keeping a job isn't their ability to pass a piss test, but the piss test itself. Drug testing for any role that isn't safety-related should be made illegal, like in pretty much every other OECD country on the planet.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Chalets the Baka posted:

The only thing preventing users from getting and keeping a job isn't their ability to pass a piss test, but the piss test itself. Drug testing for any role that isn't safety-related should be made illegal, like in pretty much every other OECD country on the planet.

It's even worse for piss tests for things like prescription meds like my girlfriend's mom has to go through every so often to get her pain meds for her damaged back.

If she's caught with THC in her system twice, she is basically SOL for getting the pain meds she needs for her back ever again. It's ostensibly to make sure she's actually taking the prescription meds on time and not selling it on the side or whatever, but seriously:

"Yeah! That'll show those people with crippling back problems what for! gently caress those disabled weed smokers!" :staredog:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 10, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

EightBit posted:

In my experience the further up the chain you are the less likely you are to be drug screened.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's because drug tests as a condition for employment aren't about safety at all, it's about screening out the massive pile of applicants for jobs, which is why it's ubiquitous in poor paying entry level positions.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

EightBit posted:

I have coworkers that are undoubtedly high most of the time, and I work in a dress-code-enforced corporate setting. There really is nothing to claims that smoking weed keeps you from getting and holding good jobs, as long as you take a break from the herb long enough to piss clean between jobs buy some fake piss for $35.

Employment drug tests aren't like parole violation drug tests; they're not gonna ask to stare at your dick to make sure you're not cheating. Drug testing for your job is a joke.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

RichieWolk posted:

Employment drug tests aren't like parole violation drug tests; they're not gonna ask to stare at your dick to make sure you're not cheating. Drug testing for your job is a joke.

My dealer actually passed one of these by using that whizzinator thing with the fake dick, that's some serious stoner dedication right there.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
All they check at testing sites is whether its coming out at the right temperature.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Someone asked about asset forfeiture recently. Here is a visualisation:

quote:

A drug task force in Washington's Snohomish County has historically been funded in part by cash, cars, houses and other assets seized from marijuana purveyors. But with recreational pot becoming legal in the state, this funding is going up in smoke.

Snohomish's 22-officer drug-fighting operation, one of 19 such task forces in the state, brought in about $200,000 from forfeitures in marijuana cases in 2012—15% of its funding that year; the haul has exceeded $1 million in years past. The task force has a piece of land, seized from a pot grower, where it stores seized vehicles awaiting auction and trims with a riding mower confiscated in a drug bust.

The county's task force has already slashed its projected funding for this year by more than 15%, partially because of a decline in revenue from asset forfeitures in pot cases, said task force Commander Pat Slack. That will mean less money for overtime, training and new equipment, said Mr. Slack, a vocal opponent of legalization. http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702304753504579282940412941998-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwMDExNDAyWj

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 11, 2014

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xandu posted:

Yes but ill close the thread if people start bragging about how cheap their weed is.

Perhaps a rule similar to the en rule of not trashing someone's appearance without posting your own pic - only post a price if it can be prove and is at a retail store?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Xandu posted:

Living on the east coast I am glad with this rule as it severely depresses me every time I see price comparisons.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Requested_Username posted:

Living on the east coast I am glad with this rule as it severely depresses me every time I see price comparisons.

If you ever want a laugh, look at other boards where price discussion isn't banned and you'll see people literally engage in one upmanship to the point of claiming drug dealers gave them bails of weed or even paid them to take drugs.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

TheRamblingSoul posted:

This is really silly

You can engage with her on twitter: https://twitter.com/EmilyMiller/status/421416333017088000

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

RichieWolk posted:

I had a drug test yesterday, the dude didn't ask but he definitely looked at my dick. Apparently recreational weed use is a something that would massively inhibit my ability to sort mail properly.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Bushmaori posted:

I had a drug test yesterday, the dude didn't ask but he definitely looked at my dick. Apparently recreational weed use is a something that would massively inhibit my ability to sort mail properly.

It isn't normal to stare a strangers penis or demand a jar of their urine.

Drug prohibition really has normalised some bizarre practices.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
price discussion doesn't really help anyone that much, versus discussion of which (legal, retail/medical) storefronts have the best variety, most helpful staff, highest quality concentrates and edibles, which could be an actual resource for people, especially those who may only be in town for a short time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

ReverendCode posted:

price discussion doesn't really help anyone that much, versus discussion of which (legal, retail/medical) storefronts have the best variety, most helpful staff, highest quality concentrates and edibles, which could be an actual resource for people, especially those who may only be in town for a short time.

There are already websites like this I think.

• Locked thread