Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Blizzard lives in its own universe. Their version is probably going to be free too, to go with their free replacement for Magic: the Gathering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dexo posted:

As an MMO it's pretty good. This is someone who has played a hell of a lot of MMO's.
SWTOR is like the least grindy MMORPG ever.

The class stories all vary depending on which class you are playing as. Some are weaker than others. But I dare you to find me one MMO where It's fun to go through the leveling area's a second and third time. At least in SWTOR you can toy around with dialog options to NPC's, and get that classes main storyline.

But it sounds like you were expecting something other than another MMO, which SWTOR very much was.

I can't, because it doesn't exist. TOR included. I've played a hell of a lot of MMOs, too. "As an MMO it's pretty good" is not good enough, and that's why this poo poo is dying out. If it's not a fun game, it's not a fun game.

I wasn't expecting something other than another MMO. But that's what I got, and I still thought it was boring and bad. What I saw of the storylines was alright, but let's not forget that it's still like 10 hours of content stretched to over 100 because it's an MMO.

gently caress TOR.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Maybe one of these days one of those UO-inspired "hardcore" MMOs will come out of beta/alpha and not be a buggy piece of poo poo.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Tae posted:

Someone didn't tell blizzard this.

Or EA! http://www.waystonegames.com/#/home

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

Finally back in work and being able to afford to drop cash on a premium sub feels so good. So many videos that I can just binge on over the weekend :dance:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Oh, so that's what that game was. I was wondering who the hell was making a Moba on Twitch's feature section.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

200 million dollars down the toilet so far, and that's just for the game, not the advertising which with "AAA" games is normally 1.5-2x their budget.

ESO is basically SW:TOR all over again. A lovely WoW Me-Too based around WoW from 2006 on an awful engine.

At least TOR had a somewhat interesting levelling stuff to make playing through the first month a decent experience but yeah it was still an MMO that was a bit better than some MMOs in one way and worse in others.

If the 200 million number is accurate then this might end up being one of the biggest financial disasters in games

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Either way it'll be fine. Skyrim sold over 20 million copies.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah it'll probably sell a shitload just based off of 'Skyrim MMO', but $200 million is a shitload of money to have to make up, especially when you consider the fact that keeping the kind of large numbers of subs that that requires means that they have to keep working on the game and developing more content.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sputty posted:

At least TOR had a somewhat interesting levelling stuff to make playing through the first month a decent experience but yeah it was still an MMO that was a bit better than some MMOs in one way and worse in others.

If the 200 million number is accurate then this might end up being one of the biggest financial disasters in games

Nah. F2p reinvigorated it quite a bit. I doubt it's ever profitable but I bet it doesn't end up too bad whenever they lose the license and have to shut it down.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hakkesshu posted:

I can't, because it doesn't exist. TOR included. I've played a hell of a lot of MMOs, too. "As an MMO it's pretty good" is not good enough, and that's why this poo poo is dying out. If it's not a fun game, it's not a fun game.

I wasn't expecting something other than another MMO. But that's what I got, and I still thought it was boring and bad. What I saw of the storylines was alright, but let's not forget that it's still like 10 hours of content stretched to over 100 because it's an MMO.

gently caress TOR.

:ssh: ToR and most F2P MMO's are actually doing pretty well.

Full priced MMO's with a subscription fee are dying out yes. But the Genre is far from dead.

Don't get me wrong the development hell and money that that game went through are crazy. But right now they are operating with a dev team that is still able to add features to the game(Off Rails Spaceship PVP. That even F2P players have access to)

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 10, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dexo posted:

As an MMO it's pretty good.

No it's loving not. It's a loving awful MMO and the ONLY redeeming factor of it is the class story, which, surprise surprise, if you only want to do that, you either grind levels or try and do kill quests while 8 levels below what you have to kill. It was a god drat abortion of an MMO.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

No it's loving not. It's a loving awful MMO and the ONLY redeeming factor of it is the class story, which, surprise surprise, if you only want to do that, you either grind levels or try and do kill quests while 8 levels below what you have to kill. It was a god drat abortion of an MMO.

It sounded like you only wanted a single player RPG, which is completely fine. But this game wasn't that. Group up, do other quests, PVP etc etc. You know things you do in an MMO.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dexo posted:

It sounded like you only wanted a single player RPG, which is completely fine. But this game wasn't that. Group up, do other quests, PVP etc etc. You know things you do in an MMO.

I didn't expect that at all, since it was sold as an MMO. Except every single facet of the "MMO" part of the gameplay was loving abysmal compared to it's direct compeditor, WoW.

It was like going back in time to The Burning Crusade and trying to play that, except on a far shittier engine.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

This is the last WoW-Ripoff, but get ready for all the DayZ and Dota/LoL ripoffs! All the gold is buried in THOSE hills, guys!

Yeah but what if we crossed those games with Minecraft? Platinum in them hills.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
'Open-World' 'Survival' games are going to be a scourge upon the industry until we reach Olympus and someone releases the Uber-Game, MineDayWorld of Sim Fortress Citizens' Sky.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah but what if we crossed those games with Minecraft? Platinum in them hills.

"Let's cross X game with Minecraft" is probably the only reason that anyone cares about the new Everquest.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

It was like going back in time to The Burning Crusade and trying to play that, except on a far shittier engine.

Considering that Burning Crusade was far and away the best that WoW has ever been, this probably paints Tor more positively than you intended.

I only played the beta of Tor, but at that time it was a solidly done MMO with an even more streamlined and satisfying level grind (at least for the first 25 or so that I reached) than almost anything else out there, probably even including WoW (which at the time was speeding up leveling to the point of being too trivial, so that you were forced to skip tons of stuff just from outleveling it).

It was just also completely derivative in gameplay and offered nothing new to the genre besides the bioware choice stuff, so there's no chance in hell I was gonna pay retail price and a monthly subscription fee for the Generic MMO Experience, even one that was well-produced and had laser swords. It's still crazy to me that anyone could look at the MMO market now, or even two or three years ago, and still consider it a good idea to budget for and expect to release with a mandatory monthly subscription fee.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Today in Good Things Max Temkin has done: Dave Lang yelling Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot monologue

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That was amazing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kasonic posted:

'Open-World' 'Survival' games are going to be a scourge upon the industry until we reach Olympus and someone releases the Uber-Game, MineDayWorld of Sim Fortress Citizens' Sky.
It'll be some super hardcore uber survival mod for Fallout 4, and it will be glorious.

Oh my god I can't loving breathe. Truly awe inspiring.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Better than the original.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

VDay posted:

It'll be some super hardcore uber survival mod for Fallout 4, and it will be glorious.

With oculus support and nude mods. :allears:

I'll never leave the house again and I'll die happy.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Today the Pale Blue Dot is not suspended in a sunbeam; today it is deep inside the Lang Zone.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

VDay posted:

Yeah it'll probably sell a shitload just based off of 'Skyrim MMO'

I doubt it. The mass audience doesn't gives a poo poo about the Elder Scrolls world and setting so it'll just be another MMO that nobody plays. Replace 'Skyrim' with 'Star Wars', a property with an even larger and more rabid fanbase and wider mainstream appeal and think how well that did. On either occasion.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

That was joyful.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Noxville posted:

I doubt it. The mass audience doesn't gives a poo poo about the Elder Scrolls world.

20. Million. Copies.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

"Let's cross X game with Minecraft" is probably the only reason that anyone cares about the new Everquest.

Voxels are the future of MMOs. The stuff they're going with Everquest Next is pretty impressive and it looks like they're getting away from what is the norm with post-WoW MMOs.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Monster w21 Faces posted:

20. Million. Copies.

Even TOR sold really well but was still a big failure. I don't think anything can save an MMO now

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah Brad you really messed up not playing the best action game of 2013!!!

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

20. Million. Copies.

The setting, besides being a generic fantasy place to gently caress around in, is probably the least of the reasons people bought Skyrim.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

20. Million. Copies.

That shows that they enjoy playing Skyrim, not that they'll play a completely different game that shares the same setting.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Sputty posted:

Even TOR sold really well but was still a big failure. I don't think anything can save an MMO now

Star Wars isn't the license it used to be in most people's eyes and TOR was weakened by not being set in an established 'movie' era of the universe. If TOR reskinned itself and re-launched to coincide with the first Disney movie I bet it would do a lot better. Especially if it was on consoles.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

The setting, besides being a generic fantasy place to gently caress around in, is probably the least of the reasons people bought Skyrim.

Well it wasn't for it's deep RPG mechanics or cinematic storytelling. Some people just love exploring worlds. :) I've observed it first hand in the instance of my non industry friends who have put hundreds of hours into Skyrim.

Noxville posted:

That shows that they enjoy playing Skyrim, not that they'll play a completely different game that shares the same setting.

The first person view present in TESO looks to the casual observer like Skyrim. If Bethesda positions it as Skyrim with multiplayer/co-op I bet they'll snag a large console market.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I think it'll probably do a little better than APB, if that's any consolation.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah Brad you really messed up not playing the best action game of 2013!!!

He was too busy with DmC made by noted video game powerhouse Ninja Theory.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Did Final Fantasy 14 Reborn and DC Universe Online do well on consoles? I don't really have a good grasp on how popular MMOs are on them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Hmm, I only have time to play one character action game this year, better make it the one NOT by the people who basically invented it genre as we know it!

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Hmm, I only have time to play one character action game this year, better make it the one NOT by the people who basically invented it genre as we know it!

But the story! The characters! The dialogue! it was all so... Shakespearean. And the combat was so much more accessible! I got a SSSentaional on almost every level :smug:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Did Final Fantasy 14 Reborn and DC Universe Online do well on consoles? I don't really have a good grasp on how popular MMOs are on them.

14 Reborn, as far as I know, is alive and well and sustaining itself but otherwise nothing spectacular (much like most MMOs, or maybe a little better considering how many of them fail).

No clue on DC Universe Online, though.

e: oh i didn't even see the "on consoles" part, haha

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
I just played Metal Gear Rising on the PC and it's kinda sad that it wasn't on their GOTY list. The game just brings it the entire way through.

• Locked thread