Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Or a reactor blueprint vs 50k credits. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
:siren: /!\ Orokin Catalyst PC Alert /!\ :siren:

24 hours on Limtoc in Phobos

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 10, 2014

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

QuantaStarFire posted:

The choices are usually between a Fieldron and 3 Gallium or something dumb like that. Or they offer the same prize, so it's a question of which enemies you find easier or less annoying.

I would infinitely rather deal with MOAs and shield probes than infernos. Headshot resistance be damned.

Pro-Grineer all the way except when Neurodes or Orokin cells are involved.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Man, Vay Hek's new model looks insane.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I hope that new melee system lets me go all metal gear rising on dudes. I'm excited to have melee be useful beyond charged hits or impromptu rocket dashes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

randombattle posted:

I hope that new melee system lets me go all metal gear rising on dudes. I'm excited to have melee be useful beyond charged hits or impromptu rocket dashes.

To be totally honest, making melee ever desirable over guns is a tall order, considering good guns can mow down hordes of enemies with trivial ease while melee still has to run around at the very least even if they one shot everything. Probably the hard truth of it is that if melee is going to be viable, guns will have to be nerfed, which is probably about the least popular thing they could do.

For all my complaints about the game's lack of balance, I doubt that there is anyone in charge of balancing who isn't aware that they've painted themselves in a corner in basically every respect because the things they need to do (removing serration, multishot, etc., toning down the most powerful guns, heavily nerfing ults, making the game have actual challenge) are the things the majority of the player base is going to absolutely hate. They have to not only work out the consequences of doing those things but figure out how to sugar coat it so that they aren't going to lose lots of players. That being said, they did release Nekros and Valkyr, which are pretty solidly in the "How did anyone think this was even decent, let alone good?" region.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
If you have the Ogris and want easy nightmare cards, clear Eris and do the infested defenses. It's ridiculously easy.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chumbler posted:

To be totally honest, making melee ever desirable over guns is a tall order, considering good guns can mow down hordes of enemies with trivial ease while melee still has to run around at the very least even if they one shot everything. Probably the hard truth of it is that if melee is going to be viable, guns will have to be nerfed, which is probably about the least popular thing they could do.

You can parry bullets. I'm not seeing a reason to not use melee.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Yeah if they make melee cool enough, I don't personally care if it isn't AS good as guns, I'll equip 3 melees and go to town with my boy ash.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Right now you can get higher DPS, at range, with a gun. They can make melee weapons way more desirable by increasing their damage output.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Ruddha posted:

Yeah if they make melee cool enough, I don't personally care if it isn't AS good as guns, I'll equip 3 melees and go to town with my boy ash.

That is what I will do - except with Volt (because i remember speed also impacting melee swings),, or perhaps Valkyr or Oberon.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

I AM THE MOON posted:

That is what I will do - except with Volt (because i remember speed also impacting melee swings),, or perhaps Valkyr or Oberon.

100% of my love for ash is how cool he looks when you do smoke screen, and the sound it makes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

They should also remove the limitation on number of targets hit by a given melee swing, if they really want to give people a reason to charge into the fray, sword a-swingin'.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Right now you can get higher DPS, at range, with a gun. They can make melee weapons way more desirable by increasing their damage output.

Killing in one swing versus a quarter of a second of gunshots is not really much of an improvement is more the issue here. How are you going to get more desirable than clearing a room in one clip of soma/ignis fire or a couple penta or ogris rounds?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
All those updates look pretty sweet. Of course, still no mention of PS4 / PC cross-play.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

Uh damage reduction/speed increase/whatever buffs when melee equipped maybe? Lotus call outs telling you that you look really cool and kind of sexy while swinging swords??? *lowers glasses and my eyes are crossed* BULLET TIME?????

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Did the latest Warframe updates make anyone else's processor start making GBS threads itself? Warframe seems to like to peg my processor at 100% now, and it's causing some heat issues :(

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Rhino Vanguard hat alert(speed boost at the cost of some power strength) is currently up for pc. It's a good piece of kit!

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Ruddha posted:

100% of my love for ash is how cool he looks when you do smoke screen, and the sound it makes.

If they make melee good, his teleport will be pretty dang useful.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

sleeptalker posted:

If they make melee good, his teleport will be pretty dang useful.

It's good now that the mobs react to it. Also great for speed running through stuff/getting over a gap you need to run around/can't parkour across.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

chumbler posted:

Killing in one swing versus a quarter of a second of gunshots is not really much of an improvement is more the issue here. How are you going to get more desirable than clearing a room in one clip of soma/ignis fire or a couple penta or ogris rounds?
Melee doesn't need to be optimal for people to use it. Short of heavily nerfing various guns, they're not going to make melee better than guns under any circumstances. If I killed things just as quickly in melee as range, I'd definitely use it more. As it is now, 3.6% of my kills come from melee weapons, and 80% of those kills are from the Galatine. This is mostly because melee weapons are terrible, and Galatine synergizes well with a lot of things.

I do agree that they need to heavily tone down some of the weapons, though.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Rhino Vanguard hat alert(speed boost at the cost of some power strength) is currently up for pc. It's a good piece of kit!

I'm stuck at work so I can't look it up; How long is that alert going for?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm stuck at work so I can't look it up; How long is that alert going for?
It's over now.

Is there any way to tell what weapons you've maxed after you sell it, or should I write it down for if I ever decide to grind mastery?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Elysiume posted:

It's over now.

Is there any way to tell what weapons you've maxed after you sell it, or should I write it down for if I ever decide to grind mastery?

Check your profile, that bar in the upper left corner. One of the subsections should include a list of weapons and frames you've used, including time, number of kills, and (most importantly) level.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Your codex also has weapons you've leveled. If it has a star, you've mastered it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Elysiume posted:

It's over now.

Check your Codex. It has your progress for every weapon in the game, with a star if you've gotten it to level 30.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Davin Valkri posted:

Check your profile, that bar in the upper left corner. One of the subsections should include a list of weapons and frames you've used, including time, number of kills, and (most importantly) level.
I should have realized this considering I went through that list to check how many kills I had with melee weapons. :psyduck:

Codex is easier to read, though. I should use the codex more/scan things more.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Elysiume posted:

Melee doesn't need to be optimal for people to use it. Short of heavily nerfing various guns, they're not going to make melee better than guns under any circumstances. If I killed things just as quickly in melee as range, I'd definitely use it more. As it is now, 3.6% of my kills come from melee weapons, and 80% of those kills are from the Galatine. This is mostly because melee weapons are terrible, and Galatine synergizes well with a lot of things.

I do agree that they need to heavily tone down some of the weapons, though.

Over half of my kills are from melee, I am the worst space ninja :shepicide:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
They'd need to remove damage types from melee to let them compete with guns. If even a fast attack spam weapon like Zoren can't kill an ancient in a few seconds they will be inferior.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Carecat posted:

They'd need to remove damage types from melee to let them compete with guns. If even a fast attack spam weapon like Zoren can't kill an ancient in a few seconds they will be inferior.

They don't need to do that, they just need to up the base damage of melee a lot.

Right now for example, base Soma

10 damage X 15 fire rate = 150 dps

dual ichor, one of the best melees in the game

35 damage X 1.2 fire rate = 42 dps

This is obviously not factoring in a LOT of stuff but you can see the issue with their melee implementation right now. Factor in that there is no double strike melee mod and its not hard to see why melee is in the place its in. Galatine is the first melee weapon in a LONG time that was actually worth using. Because of the fact melee will always be animation limited all they need to do is up the base damages to much higher levels.

Imagine if the dual ichor was like this:

170 damage * 1.2 fire rate = 204 dps

That seems like a large jump but melee should be better dps than secondaries and primaries. As the danger of using the weapon increases its reward should also increase.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Just started this on PS4 and would love an invite to the clan, PSN is Kolanut

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

randombattle posted:

I hope that new melee system lets me go all metal gear rising on dudes.

I'm hoping it's more like Warhammer 40K. You have an attack button, a stun button, various combos between the two, and the animations make it abundantly clear that you are loving dudes up so bad it's ridiculous.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I wish they'd combine Pressure Point and Killing Blow into one mod. Or make it so that Pressure Point also affects charge damage :getin:
Related to that, it's kind of annoying how each separate melee attack has its own crit chance, crit damage, status chance, damage type distribution, and so on. It just makes it horribly opaque and convoluted. I'm not really complaining because it makes the Galatine better, but still, how are you supposed to know that its charge attacks have a 25% critical chance and 50% status chance without checking the wiki?

And while I'm at it, it'd be nice if they take out the stomp attack that Grineer heavies have. Or at least move it onto another unit, like one of the three or four nearly identical melee units.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Someone mentioned Metal Gear Rising earlier and now I just think it'd be cool if having a melee weapon equipped (actually needing to unsheathe/swap to them instead of being a hotkey to swing it) let you automatically parry and deflect bullets as you booked it towards terrified Grineer at 200km/s. Maybe give each elemental effect a passive aura when you're swingin 'em around that was more support-based than pure offense. Swing around a toxin weapon in close proximity to a bunch of dudes and they can't fire as fast/choke on fumes, blast aura makes enemies more likely to shoot at you than your bros (hi tanking melee rhino).

It's 2am I don't care, I just want to use all the cool-looking longswords I got. :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
There is an auto-parry mod, but it goes on the Warframe and might not work.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
To make melee useful you'd need to nerf the guns even just a little bit. Make the proc of slash, impact and puncture do very low damage and low chance on the guns. Boost damage and proc chance on melee weapons. Longswords should be huge damage on up to 3 targets. Daggers have even bigger proc chance on 1 target. Large weapons have lower damage but unlimited targets.

Then add enemy melee units with huge armor or shield that can get close to us without getting massacred by guns. The bleed proc chance should be high on these units, forcing you to use melee to counter them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Elysiume posted:

Aw, man. I've been slowly dumping miscellaneous mods into that, hoping to combine it with a the other parry/block-oriented passive warframe mods into a gimmick setup, but it seems that won't work like I thought.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pierson posted:

Someone mentioned Metal Gear Rising earlier and now I just think it'd be cool if having a melee weapon equipped (actually needing to unsheathe/swap to them instead of being a hotkey to swing it)...

That's actually one of the things I think they're doing. They at least mentioned it in one of the streams.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

hooah posted:

Aw, man. I've been slowly dumping miscellaneous mods into that, hoping to combine it with a the other parry/block-oriented passive warframe mods into a gimmick setup, but it seems that won't work like I thought.
I might be confusing it with something else. I know something in the vein of block/parry doesn't work. Don't take my word on it, I haven't looked into it personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

It works, but it's pretty bad. I put enough mods into it to get it to like 30-35% and when it procs it forces your dude to flail his weapon around like an idiot for a while. And it can continue to proc making the animation even longer.