Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've gotten some nice stuff, and I hope the value of some of the 4-5 IV stuff I've traded away has actually been noticed rather than having them be released or boxed and forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kajeesus posted:

You can poke someone's face in Acquaintances to see how much gametime they have. I reccomend not doing this.

It's always depressing when I fire the game up because that time reads 250+ hours but I tend to fall asleep with it on so basically I'm an idiot.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's always depressing when I fire the game up because that time reads 250+ hours but I tend to fall asleep with it on so basically I'm an idiot.

I just broke 600+ hours yesterday :shepface:. Poke-eugenics is taking over my life.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I have the same issue, except then I look at my hours in other games and stop feeling so bad about my Pokemon Game Time.

I had a buddy bread out a 5IV Totidile with Dragon Dance, Crunch, and Ice Punch on it. I looked at Smogon and it said Feraligatr is pretty useless, which is upsetting because I love that guy. Is there much I can do with it, or is it stuck being a pokemon I like and don't use?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mine is sitting at 830. :shepface:

In my defense I've probably only played like 1/4 of that since I leave my 3DS on so much.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I am convinced there's some fucker sitting in a small room in japan just... Wonder Trading Pansages all day. Or better yet, he's constructed an elaborate Pee Wee Herman styled contraption that just does it for him.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That's the thing: in previous generations breeding good IVs and moves onto a Pokemon was so tedious that looking for people to battle online scarcely seemed worthwhile. Now that trading and breeding is so straightforward it opens up a whole host of possibilities. You like Tropius? Too bad their base stats are garbage. Well now you can breed a genetically perfect bananasaurus, which goes a long way towards making up for its deficiencies. The new breeding mechanics make it much easier to turn otherwise overlooked Pokemon into potential threats. A lot of the effort I've sunk into version is making up for lost time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

alcharagia posted:

This isn't a Mega Pinsir Replay, but it's worth watching anyway, really

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76357127

I don't get it, why was this worth watching?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Kajeesus posted:

You can poke someone's face in Acquaintances to see how much gametime they have. I reccomend not doing this.

Just so you know, it's also not a good idea to do this to your real-life acquaintances.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't get it, why was this worth watching?

It was a classic failed gimmick team. The guy tried to pull off a F.E.A.R. aron, but forgot to set aron's level to 1.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Pokemon Megathread: constant showdown replays

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Unbound posted:

I had a buddy bread out a 5IV Totidile with Dragon Dance, Crunch, and Ice Punch on it. I looked at Smogon and it said Feraligatr is pretty useless, which is upsetting because I love that guy. Is there much I can do with it, or is it stuck being a pokemon I like and don't use?

If you want to build a team around it, by all means do it. Nothing's stopping you. Keep in mind that Smogon's writeups are usually intended for a 6v6 Singles OU environment because that's their most popular format.

Sadly, AFAIK Sheer Force Totodile was never released in any capacity. Too bad, because he's perfect for it. Imagine a set like Waterfall/Ice Punch/Crunch/Dragon Dance. You could then hand him a Life Orb (the damage bonus stacks with Sheer Force and ignores the 10% recoil) and he'd tear poo poo up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Unbound posted:

I have the same issue, except then I look at my hours in other games and stop feeling so bad about my Pokemon Game Time.

I wouldn't really say it's useless, just not especially useful in a way that recommends it over other things. It's got good attack but tends to be kind of slow, but more importantly, there's several other "good attack but pretty slow" Water-types that also have useful abilities (Torrent isn't great and Sheer Force is still unreleased) and a decent secondary type on top of that. The Smogon definition of "bad" tends to be "something else can fill the same niche and do it better", which often doesn't mean that the Pokemon is actually useless but rather that there are more optimal choices. Sure, Feraligatr doesn't measure up to Kabutops or Gyarados, but if you'd rather use Feraligatr instead because you like Feraligatr, it's almost as usable as they are, you've just got to account for the ways in which it differs. Also, Doubles support can make a lot of things viable that wouldn't work in singles.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I caught my very first shiny!

It's a Mr. Mime with green spots. :what:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Carbon Thief posted:

I wonder if there are any of those not named Mr Lime.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Inudeku posted:

Pokemon Megathread: constant showdown replays

Better than the old 'Pokemon Megathread: constant no-content fanart' posts

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Emalde posted:

I dunno man, I'd put them on the same level

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Emalde posted:

I like the fanart.

It's not surprising that there's a lot of discussion of battling at the moment. It's a new generation and there's a lot of stuff to discover in battling. Everything's been shaken up. But there's space here for discussing more than one thing. We're not going to run out of pages.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Carbon Thief posted:

I don't follow. It's a shiny that's easy to notice at a glance. I had a Carnivine in my box for a month before I noticed the star next to its name. Besides, Mr. Mime is a decent special wall, especially if you got Filter as the ability. Name it 'Pre-Op F to M' and go to town.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Carbon Thief posted:

You should name it Tingle

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I just hate how a majority of posts now are of something a vast minority of players do.

And they're not even special replays. It's all just mega pinsir and exploding pink blobs.

I can be down for competitive talk, but Goddamn guys.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Night Blade posted:

If you hate prankster, watch the below:

RDWG-WWWW-WWW4-FHHV

(Also, Seismic Toss procs parental bond, the gently caress is that?)

Wow, that was a beautiful match from your side.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Inudeku posted:

I just hate how a majority of posts now are of something a vast minority of players do.

And they're not even special replays. It's all just mega pinsir and exploding pink blobs.

Clearly more people should be playing Ubers :colbert:.

Personally I find showdown replays a lot more laziness friendly. If Battle Spot replays could be click-and-view that would be rad as hell.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Inudeku posted:

Fine then. Here's a replay where I actually had to do something other than Mega Pinsir everything to death.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76498125

There is a pink blob that is blown up though.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

alcharagia posted:

Fine then. Here's a replay where I actually had to do something other than Mega Pinsir everything to death.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76498125

There is a pink blob that is blown up though.

Ummm, that was a perfect example on why replays posted are boring and a waste.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Inudeku posted:

Ummm, that was a perfect example on why replays posted are boring and a waste.

Have to agree, opponent not knowing how sleep talk works after doing it on the third turn twice is pretty much the straw that breaks the camel's back on any potential entertainment value that match could have had.

Not to mention Cotton Guard Wish and Belly Drum on Slurpuff :wtc:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Inudeku posted:

Normally I don't use this line of reasoning but nobody is forcing you to watch them. I have no problem with them, sometimes people post ones that aren't anything special (me included) but it can be hard to tell if someone will be interested in one of your replays since you have a biased view. Either way, there's forcing you to view them so if you don't like them, who cares?

EDIT: That said I think literally every replay I've ever seen from EatingPeas is just him baton passing quiver dance.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I dunno, I learned a couple neat things from Showdown replays. I'm not sure why so many bland 6v6 singles OU sweeps are getting posted though. Even Ubers is more interesting, if only to see how event Legendaries perform. If you've got something hilarious or surprising to show off then fine but otherwise it is super boring y'all. At least the fan art could be amusing or cute. Would you be equally supportive if my main contribution to the thread was a bunch of illustrations behind text-links? No one's forcing you to click on them maaaaan

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I'm just finally getting internet for my 2DS and I'm interested in finally getting some real battles in.

FC: 2552 - 2271 - 2004

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
How do y'all feel about narrated replays? I've been doing them every now and then and try to actually explain what I'm doing and not just mumble "um, so, yeah" like 99% of the narrated battles I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWpdzsCPbHE&t=39s

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

I dunno, I learned a couple neat things from Showdown replays. I'm not sure why so many bland 6v6 singles OU sweeps are getting posted though. Even Ubers is more interesting, if only to see how event Legendaries perform. If you've got something hilarious or surprising to show off then fine but otherwise it is super boring y'all. At least the fan art could be amusing or cute. Would you be equally supportive if my main contribution to the thread was a bunch of illustrations behind text-links? No one's forcing you to click on them maaaaan

To my defense, I don't think I post matches that aren't either ridiculously close or something hilariously oppressive I get to do to an opponent (mostly Kyurem-B sub-shuffling) that uses an unusual set.

I am Reverend posted:

How do y'all feel about narrated replays? I've been doing them every now and then and try to actually explain what I'm doing and not just mumble "um, so, yeah" like 99% of the narrated battles I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWpdzsCPbHE&t=39s

:golfclap: That's a well thought out battle and the Mamoswine play was perfectly reasonable, shadow sneak on Greninja is kind of weird and I'm kind of surprised you didn't sac Haxorus to Talonflame but I guess it's more useful than Lucario at that point. Also wanted to point out Dark Pulse hits as hard as Aura Sphere on Talonflame thanks to Adaptability's boost to STAB moves, with an extra bonus for Aura Sphere if the Talonflame is running a roost set.

vvv If playing Ubers on simulator is wrong I don't want to know what's right :colbert:.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 11, 2014

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
You simulator folk are playing the game wrong. The point of Pokemon is to groan and bitch for hours straight trying to breed a good Vaporeon-Eevee. I thought I was just about there, with a Lucario as father, til I noticed what I really wanted was one with Wish. Which meant getting a good enough Togetic to breed with a good enough Pikachu I had to catch, breed up a few Pichus with Wish til I got a good one, and piss around with one til it evolved into a Pikachu. I'm a couple hours in to the final stage, now. Got a 4-IV one but if I'm not gonna be investing in SpA, I want a drat 31 in it so it can hit hard when it needs to. Bah. And to think some of you only have to check a box or whatever.

Not that I'm REALLY bitter. I actually enjoy breeding, but would never have bothered for a 5IV one before. I used to be happy with 2IV. Can't imagine doing this before Friend Safari, Soothe Bell, and Destiny Knot.

Anyway, what do the resident experts think of this for a build?
Vaporeon: Bold, Water Absorb, Leftovers? and I pretty much exclusively play doubles.
Wish, Acid Armor, Helping Hand, Muddy Water

I know, I know, no Protect. I'm only just now getting out of my usual "three different-typed attacks and protect" mindset. I almost never use defensive mons and thought well Vaporeon's bulky enough that with Acid Armor and Wish it can probably deal with not having Protect?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For example, here's a game I found interesting but maybe you guys think its boring as dirt. Who knows! Not me.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-76509973

Mainly I think it illustrates the psychological impact wide guard can have on your opponent. He comes to scared to use his his area moves, so Garchomp is forced to d-claw my mega pinsir which doesn't do all that much. Meanwhile his Carizard-Y literally can't do anything fire related because heat wave is usually the only fire move they pack.

EDIT: As another example here's a replay I normally wouldn't share since its very short, has me getting lucky, and is only amusing since I'm not the victim.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-76512749

I think I might be addicted to wide guard though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 11, 2014

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Diet Poison posted:

Anyway, what do the resident experts think of this for a build?
Vaporeon: Bold, Water Absorb, Leftovers? and I pretty much exclusively play doubles.
Wish, Acid Armor, Helping Hand, Muddy Water

I know, I know, no Protect. I'm only just now getting out of my usual "three different-typed attacks and protect" mindset. I almost never use defensive mons and thought well Vaporeon's bulky enough that with Acid Armor and Wish it can probably deal with not having Protect?

Standard Vaporeon is usually Bold, Water Absorb with max HP and Defense with Scald, Wish, Toxic and Protect. Roar works well in there as well (over Protect?). Scald is a great move to have on bulky waters since the high burn rate increases their longevity (due to the attack drop) even further while also wearing down the opponent, which sort of makes Acid Armor redundant. Toxic and Wish both work well with Protect to stall for an extra turn to either tick down the Toxic timer or receive the healing from Wish.

edit oh doubles, not entirely sure then

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
I like the replays.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

One of these days that guy is going to die, and it'll be due to my insatiable thirst for xp.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

Wish is most notably only attainable through the PCNY event distribution (which is also the only source for Wish Chanseys) onto FR/LG. Seismic toss is also attainable that same generation.
I'm not sure why, but it really irritates me that one of Chansey/Blissey's main competitive moves comes from an obscure event back in 2004. Pretty much everyone can get modern Wifi events, and I don't mind stuff like 3rd gen move tutor moves/Gale of Darkness exclusive moves since anyone can just fire up a new game and get them, but any legitimate Wish Chansey is going to be cloned at the very least, and any with perfect IVs are certain to be hacks.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Rangpur posted:

I don't follow. It's a shiny that's easy to notice at a glance. I had a Carnivine in my box for a month before I noticed the star next to its name. Besides, Mr. Mime is a decent special wall, especially if you got Filter as the ability. Name it 'Pre-Op F to M' and go to town.

Oh, it's nice it's easily noticeable, it was just the green spots on a humanoid Pokemon that made me think the poor thing has gangrene.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I don't mind the pages of battle videos. I only will watch a few, but it's easy to skip them. What's more annoying is that the trade thread has also changed quite a bit this gen, as posts of "can I get a _________" are now followed by "what can you offer in return?...." instead of just "hell yeah I can get you a Mewtwo. Just send me a Rattata in return or something" like it was previously.

I mean, I understand that now the overall quality of mons is better since it's easier to make ones with perfect or near perfect spreads, but it just seems weird considering the feel you used to get from that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

mastajake posted:

I don't mind the pages of battle videos. I only will watch a few, but it's easy to skip them. What's more annoying is that the trade thread has also changed quite a bit this gen, as posts of "can I get a _________" are now followed by "what can you offer in return?...." instead of just "hell yeah I can get you a Mewtwo. Just send me a Rattata in return or something" like it was previously.

I mean, I understand that now the overall quality of mons is better since it's easier to make ones with perfect or near perfect spreads, but it just seems weird considering the feel you used to get from that thread.

Hm, now I feel kinda bad. I will endeavor to be more generous in my trades.

• Locked thread