Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Macaluso posted:

...Why does Dexter have a completely different voice actor?...

Dexter's original VA, Christine Cavanaugh retired right after the first series ended, came back to do Ego Trip, and when the second series rolled around, they hired Candi Milo.

In other news, Cartoon Network is creating a new word for their new episodes on Monday, weballteant. You know, pronounced like wee ball taint. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I see an old IP being dredged up and revived, I kinda wish they would just let it rest..

I can name one that should come back.

Samurai Jack.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pixeltendo posted:

I can name one that should come back.

Samurai Jack.

Soon. :allears: (Hopefully)

quote:

In September 2012, Genndy Tartakovsky announced in an interview with IGN that a Samurai Jack movie is in pre-production. He said: "I've been trying so hard every year, and the one amazing thing about Jack is that I did it in 2001, you know, and it still survived. There's something about it that's connected with people. And I want it, it's number 1 on my list, and now Bob Osher, the President (of Digital Production at Sony Pictures Entertainment), is like 'Hey, let's talk about Jack. Let's see what we can do.' And I go, 'You're going to do a 2D feature animated movie?' and he's like, 'Yeah. Maybe. Let's do some research and let's see.' So it's not dead for sure by any means, and it's still on the top of my list, and I'm trying as hard as I can." It is going to be the conclusion for the series. The film, which is budgeted at $20 million, will combine traditional 2D animation with stereoscopic 3D. Tartakovsky said the loss of Mako Iwamatsu (Aku's voice actor) would also need to be addressed.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Back in 2009 they were saying the same thing, that the movie was in pre-production and that Bad Robot was producing it. I mean, if Season 4 of Arrested Development can happen then anything is possible but at this point I'd rather the dude focus his time and energy on something new rather than the "epic conclusion" to a decade-old cartoon. Especially when the theatrical Powerpuff Girls movie was a big enough bomb to destroy any future attempts at theatrical movies and it came out at the height of the show's popularity.

He did an animated opening to that crappy action movie Priest a few years ago, his style of animation but in HD instead of standard-def early-00s TV animation is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvrY8e19-04

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

All that video does is make me want Samurai Jack with him at the helm even more.

Forget a movie, lets get another loving season, hell yeah.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Babe Magnet posted:

Dexter's Lab was pretty obvious.

Dexter's Lab changed?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Another season of Symbiotic Titan would be rad too.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Dexter's original VA, Christine Cavanaugh retired right after the first series ended, came back to do Ego Trip, and when the second series rolled around, they hired Candi Milo.

All this time I thought Dexter was voiced by Pamela Adlon of King of the Hill fame.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Crosspeice posted:

Soon. :allears: (Hopefully)

I suppose the guy who replaced Mako on Avatar would be good enough, if he can sound less like Constipated Mako... I suppose.

JT Smiley posted:

All this time I thought Dexter was voiced by Pamela Adlon of King of the Hill fame.

You're thinking of the kid on Time Squad.

Dexter was the same VA as Babe, as in "That'll do, pig" Babe.

Gaunab posted:

Another season of Symbiotic Titan would be rad too.

You know, after all the hyping up of Symbionic Titan I'd heard goons doing over a year or two, I checked out a couple episodes when they reran it on Toonami and... what was I missing that made it anything other than Voltron But Sort of Not? The biggest obstacle the characters have in any given episode is getting over their petty sibling argument of the week so they can merge into not-Voltron in time to form not-Blazing Sword and kill not-Robeast.

As far as Saturday Morning CN Shows That Never Got a Chance, I think the Thundercats reboot deserved to survive more.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 9, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

You know, after all the hyping up of Symbionic Titan I'd heard goons doing over a year or two, I checked out a couple episodes when they reran it on Toonami and... what was I missing that made it anything other than Voltron But Sort of Not? The biggest obstacle the characters have in any given episode is getting over their petty sibling argument of the week so they can merge into not-Voltron in time to form not-Blazing Sword and kill not-Robeast.

As far as Saturday Morning CN Shows That Never Got a Chance, I think the Thundercats reboot deserved to survive more.
It did have a better Enders Game episode than the actual movie

Also I've heard there are rumors that DC wants to renew Batman Beyond, any source to these rumors?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

It did have a better Enders Game episode than the actual movie

Also I've heard there are rumors that DC wants to renew Batman Beyond, any source to these rumors?

Well, DC has been keeping the franchise alive in the comic books (I read a couple of issues but it wasn't very good.) I'm just not sure what you'd do with the series though. Follow grown up Terry? Go back to him being in High School? Reboot it completely?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
They could just make more episodes. I mean, surely there's more adventures to be had in between Return of the Joker and the Epilogue episode of JLU which were the two other "endings" of Beyond.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

raditts posted:

It was just something different from the usual. If there was another giant robot show on I'd care less about it. The Thundercats reboot was nice but the thing that always sticks out to me was the armored mummra and lion-o (now available in stores.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Well, DC has been keeping the franchise alive in the comic books (I read a couple of issues but it wasn't very good.) I'm just not sure what you'd do with the series though. Follow grown up Terry? Go back to him being in High School? Reboot it completely?
Another thing would be that it would probably be in a different non-Timm art style which would just be wrong, I mean yes that style seemed to have like four different body types, but it looked cool drat it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

raditts posted:

I suppose the guy who replaced Mako on Avatar would be good enough, if he can sound less like Constipated Mako... I suppose.

You're thinking of the kid on Time Squad.

Dexter was the same VA as Babe, as in "That'll do, pig" Babe.

Symbionic Titan is better as a whole than the individual episodes, I think. The last four or five episodes are really good.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U008nGT0eww

That episode had an even better montage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nq12k4xM7I

The fact they got the rights to a real song and beautifully animated it. Still get to me

The show was a slow burn with over arching plot points the villains had depth as characters. If you watch the whole seires you'll see how it starts out and whats it was going for.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Sockser posted:

Symbionic Titan is better as a whole than the individual episodes, I think. The last four or five episodes are really good.
Plus there was that one episode which played like a David Croenberg body horror movie :stonk:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Titan had some major pacing issues when it came to their inclusion of giant monsters fights, unfortunately. Loved what it was trying to do though, and Flock of Seagulls pretty much won me over in the second episode I saw (first was Shadows of Youth; I was expecting a different show going in, after that).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

max4me posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U008nGT0eww

That episode had an even better montage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nq12k4xM7I

The fact they got the rights to a real song and beautifully animated it. Still get to me

The show was a slow burn with over arching plot points the villains had depth as characters. If you watch the whole seires you'll see how it starts out and whats it was going for.

poo poo, I had forgotten about that second scene. I should go back and rewatch. There was so much cool stuff that would've ended up in the second season.

Still, I guess the finish of season one was pretty satisfying, for what it was.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

achillesforever6 posted:

Plus there was that one episode which played like a David Croenberg body horror movie :stonk:

And the one where they rip the arm off of a monster and then proceed to beat said monster to death with it. I, for one, would like to see more of that in my children's entertainment. Also, cheerleaders doing sexy dances for fat nerd robots.

God, but I miss Sym-Bionic Titan.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One of the best things about Titan was how Octus totally stole the show half-way through and became the main character.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Samurai Jack had a good run. It had a good 4 seasons, and if Jack ever was going to make any progress in getting back, back to the past, he'd have done some by that point.

Symbiotic Titan was canceled after just one season, and I'd really like for it to be resumed so I could see where it was going. They never even got a chance to go into Octus's origins or Lance's dad.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Accordion Man posted:

One of the best things about Titan was how Octus totally stole the show half-way through and became the main character.

The robot didnt do a data struggle to be human poo poo. It literally had the vapid cheerleader come on to him and straight up told the team he was more than a machine.

They played with and had homage to so many great sci fi troops.

The galactic guardian leader kane fought with ace and they pulled the same moves, and just went ??? where did you learn that.

Anyway I am sad both that, tron, green lantern, beware the batman..young justice all went away.

I get the appeal of adventure time its a kids show that kids can watch, uncle grandpa...well I see what they are gong for.

But regular show seems like its written for people that have grown up and I dont see the toy sales from it. So why they hell is it spared from being destroyed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My gut feeling says they'd reboot it since everybody who could work on it from design to animation to voice acting is way past that point. That said I absolutely would love a new Batman Beyond in almost any form. The only thing that would be a shame to lose is the soundtrack but that portion of our concept of the future (an infinite 90s grunge/techno club) is long since past.

Edit: It'd be neat to have the show take place far enough in the future to sidestep Bruce Wayne as needing to appear and cast a woman in the grizzled old Bruce Wayne role.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

max4me posted:

But regular show seems like its written for people that have grown up and I dont see the toy sales from it. So why they hell is it spared from being destroyed.

It's in a good timeslot, kids and adults watch it, adults buy the shirts and other stupid loving merch at Hot Topic etc

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
I see "toy sales" thrown around a lot by cartoon fans as a reason for corporate decisions but it's not a universal metric for a show's success. A lot of shows are driven by advertisers buying time around the show. Some other shows are directly subsidized by toy companies(action shows like Ben 10 etc). So it's not that simple.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

Edit: It'd be neat to have the show take place far enough in the future to sidestep Bruce Wayne as needing to appear and cast a woman in the grizzled old Bruce Wayne role.

When people say things like this, I feel like I don't understand Batman since Bruce Wayne is a vital part of the mythos for me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Toy sales were the cited reason for canceling Symbiotic Titan, but I think it's probably more that Symbiotic Titan is really weird, and it would be impossible to explain to an executive.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

You probably could do it with Commissioner Barbara Gordon if Batman Beyond wasn't nearly 13 years old now (insert comment about how old you feel here) and so any new young audience would be completely unfamiliar with the character of Barbara (since she's hardly in the movies and she was in a whopping two episodes of Brave and the Bold). For better or for worse, any Batman cartoon is going to have to have Bruce Wayne in it somewhere even if it's in a whole bunch of flashbacks from [new mentor character] recounting how cool Batman was.

Really, the more I think about it, the big problem with any kind of a Batman Beyond revival is the fact that the original BB had BTAS as a precursor to it, showing Bruce's adventures and showing how/why he would be a good mentor and why he would be so grizzled after going through all the poo poo he's gone through. There's not been a real successful Batman show in some time outside of Brave and the Bold, and that show was all about how being Batman is awesome and not mentally taxing really how are you gonna have a mean old Bruce Wayne come to exist in the same world where BatB Aquaman exists?

In summary, the DCAU is almost 10 years old now and we should all feel old.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 11, 2014

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SlothfulCobra posted:

Toy sales were the cited reason for canceling Symbiotic Titan, but I think it's probably more that Symbiotic Titan is really weird, and it would be impossible to explain to an executive.

Its simple it has the creator of dexters lab, samurai jack, and clone wars. He is "creative talent" aka an artist and makes a good/popular product.

CN lacks faith in its own shows. Which is sad. Though I am gland they stopped with the Live action poo poo

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I get why people liked Sym-Bionic Titan but it had like zero crossover appeal to people who didn't grow up with Voltron and have that kind of enthusiasm for something that so openly and unabashedly clings to old tropes with almost nothing to try and innovate or change or improve upon it. I never really got into the show and a big part of that was because it felt like if I had seen one episode I had seen everything the show had to offer, and the few episodes I watched only seemed to reinforce that.

Also I felt like the animation was too stylized and got to the point where it was ugly and cluttered. It had some great backgrounds but I really didn't like the way the main cast looked and the CGI for the robots was relatively poor both on its own and at meshing with the 2d elements.

I just hope the dude hasn't lost his touch because it's been a decade since Tartakovsky made Clone Wars and aside from Titan the only other things he's done is the pilot for Korgoth of Barbaria (which was cancelled before they even made any episodes), storyboard the fight scenes for Iron Man 2 (remember the long boring scenes of Iron Man tearing through dozens of robots with zero excitement or tension? Yeah...), and direct the :geno: Adam Sandler vehicle Hotel Transylvania.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I get why people liked Sym-Bionic Titan but it had like zero crossover appeal to people who didn't grow up with Voltron and have that kind of enthusiasm for something that so openly and unabashedly clings to old tropes with almost nothing to try and innovate or change or improve upon it. I never really got into the show and a big part of that was because it felt like if I had seen one episode I had seen everything the show had to offer, and the few episodes I watched only seemed to reinforce that.

Also I felt like the animation was too stylized and got to the point where it was ugly and cluttered. It had some great backgrounds but I really didn't like the way the main cast looked and the CGI for the robots was relatively poor both on its own and at meshing with the 2d elements.

I just hope the dude hasn't lost his touch because it's been a decade since Tartakovsky made Clone Wars and aside from Titan the only other things he's done is the pilot for Korgoth of Barbaria (which was cancelled before they even made any episodes), storyboard the fight scenes for Iron Man 2 (remember the long boring scenes of Iron Man tearing through dozens of robots with zero excitement or tension? Yeah...), and direct the :geno: Adam Sandler vehicle Hotel Transylvania.

:colbert:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEYqj_WG_GE

THE HAMMER! :black101:

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
[Edit] nevermind, doesn't matter.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 11, 2014

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
I don't know how to feel about that Fish Hooks on Disney Channel. It just feels so weird to me that they have so many talented people working on the show ( Alex Hirsch, Justin Roiland, Maxwell Adams,etc.), and what they end up turning out is something that's watchable, but feels like it should be much more than that.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Well, they'd have to reboot it after what happened in Epilogue, because DC Heroes Do Not Get Married.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well, they'd have to reboot it after what happened in Epilogue, because DC Heroes Do Not Get Married.

He got engaged. They'll just kill his girlfriend off in a terrible way (Dr.Light somehow).

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So how stupid is DC when it comes to marriage? Is it on the same level as Marvel and One More Day?

e: for correct name of stupid thing.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 14, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, not too long ago they rebooted their entire mainline universe (the "New 52") and de-aged all their characters. In the process of doing this oops, nobody is married anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Aquaman is the king of the sea and the sea has a queen, they are both in love, sit together in the throne room and are a couple.
But they're not married, why would you think this, the NEW 52! is cool and hip with the kids after all.