Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Jeff's face during this Vinny segment, oh my god...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Vinny has mastered the chainsaw.

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

This might be one of if not the best UPF yet. I don't think I've nearly died laughing until now.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
This is the classiest Desura game

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
I think I just died for reals when the turret spawned on him and that death scream happened.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Yoya posted:

Someone can enjoy DMC over the 5 hours it takes or whatever and not have to spend time to learn a whole new game system. As a game for people who don't have time and want a game to be mildly enjoyable from minute 1 it's pretty successful. It's the perfect game for reviewers. In 2-3 years they'll have perfected this better and you'll feel like you just beat Roger Federer playing tennis cause you matched 5 in a match 3 puzzle game.

I've never gotten into a character action game before but really enjoyed what I played of DmC (about the first half or so). Game was super pretty, had some really inspired set pieces, goofy story, and gameplay that basically a step beyond the kind of combat Arkham games or Sleeping Dogs have.

Listening to people talk about Rising confirms my belief that it's not my kind of jam, as someone who doesn't care about score attacks or multiple playthroughs or perfecting systems. Boo to all that. The only time I want to try to perfect my gameplay is something like Trials or Trackmania, where it's not really learning systems as much as executing very simple mechanics perfectly.

e: also, my internet has been down for the past few days and my data plan doesn't really cover five hours of streaming, so all these posts about Dark Souls, Volgarr, and UPF are making me sad :smith:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

Listening to people talk about Rising confirms my belief that it's not my kind of jam, as someone who doesn't care about score attacks or multiple playthroughs or perfecting systems. Boo to all that.

You know you can play it on normal once just like DmC, and have a ton of fun with a really silly over the top game that has lots of great moments and isn't super demanding. Even on that level I think it's a much better experience.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

abraham linksys posted:

I've never gotten into a character action game before but really enjoyed what I played of DmC (about the first half or so). Game was super pretty, had some really inspired set pieces, goofy story, and gameplay that basically a step beyond the kind of combat Arkham games or Sleeping Dogs have.

Listening to people talk about Rising confirms my belief that it's not my kind of jam, as someone who doesn't care about score attacks or multiple playthroughs or perfecting systems. Boo to all that. The only time I want to try to perfect my gameplay is something like Trials or Trackmania, where it's not really learning systems as much as executing very simple mechanics perfectly.

e: also, my internet has been down for the past few days and my data plan doesn't really cover five hours of streaming, so all these posts about Dark Souls, Volgarr, and UPF are making me sad :smith:

Rising isn't that hard If you could play DmC you could play Rising. It's nowhere near as complex as people are saying, if you are just looking to play through the game. Just play on Normal or Hard and you should be fine.

You could button mash your way through it with little trouble so long as you can parry.

DmC was fine, Story was stupid and over the top enough to be funny, even more funny if they actually though they were making something to be taken seriously. Level design was amazing. Combat was fun, It wasn't as technical as DMC3, Scoring was hillarious undertuned, but I never really cared about that.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 11, 2014

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
All licorice is the loving worst. Only total monsters eat licorice.

abraham linksys posted:

Rising totally has the stuff you liked about DmC. All decent non-trash character action games do. All great character action games have that in addition to the second paragraph stuff you don't like. The people that don't like DmC don't like it because it's all flash and no substance and the flash is really loving stupid, and not in the good DMC3&4/Bayonetta/Rising way.

Don't let the existence of depth scare you off, you can totally just have a casual rear end playthrough of the game and revel in all the completely batshit crazy things that happen in it! But if you want a game you can replay multiple times and try to get better at, that's also there. And that's what makes it great. If you're not into DmC's brand of flash (which a lot of people aren't) then there's absolutely nothing there for you, and that's why it's bad.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 11, 2014

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Guys I liked DmC, and Metal Gear Rising. Woah.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
DmC was just forgettable generic but competent enough. It wasn't terrible. It wasn't amazing. It just sort of was a by the numbers game in the genre with some pretty visuals.

Also Brad is loving torpedoing this UPF.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
The parrying system of Revengeance tops any mechanic DmC has and I've played all of both. If you enjoyed the satisfaction of pulling off Witch Time dodges in Bayonetta wait till you parry a Gekko's charge into a one hit stun and Zandatsu.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

It's funny how brad can be in the same room with live people giving him interesting advice and somehow still ignore all of it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Breaking Jeff.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

This is the worst

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
This might be the worst segment in the entire UPF series. :suicide:

Edit: "I was really hoping more from this game." <literally did loving nothing but run through fields for 40 minutes aimlessly and ignored everything>

Nohman fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 11, 2014

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

It doesn't have to be played that way. I played it once and it was something like a 12 hour game because I didn't skip any of the optional content.

Honestly anybody who doesn't have the codec open couple of minutes checking for new conversations is missing out on the game at it's most Metal Gear.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Brad really is the most infuriating person to watch play games.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Rising is easier then DmC, while also maintaining, and ramping up the "this is real crazy" aspects.

Coming from someone who really liked DmC, liked Bayonetta, and has still yet to get into DMC3/4 because he finds them to boring, MG:R is a must play game. I don't even care if you hate all those games listed, it's still mustplay. Just set it to Normal and Parry everything. The story/content in the game is solid enough without needing a replay/number crunching to be good.

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

Brad you are the best :allears:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I was afraid this was gonna go real bad real fast but Ian actually knows what the hell he's talking about. Nethack is a horrible game for horrible people though.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

It's pretty cool how insane Nethack is, and also this could not be any more the opposite of Brad playing Rust.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Now I wish Ian did more content. He explains complicated things pretty well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Now I wish Ian did more content. He explains complicated things pretty well.

I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of games like Nethack or Dwarf Fortress. This is just awful.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
It kinda doesn't matter once you truly understand what every symbol means. Then it feels like playing any other game.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How can you not like a game where you can kill yourself by kicking a wall over and over?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

IRQ posted:

I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of games like Nethack or Dwarf Fortress. This is just awful.

Think of it like a turn-based RPG with about ten times the depth of most games you find today and permadeath that makes your decisions (or mistakes) matter. Once you get past the graphical/UI hump they are pretty good for when you're in the mood to play something that makes you slow down and think a bit instead of a twitch game. Probably not thrilling to watch but they can be pretty involving once you dig in.

For more modern ones try Dungeons of Dreadmore or ToME (both on Steam) or the upcoming Dungeonmans, in production after a Kickstarter and pretty far along (the dev posts in the Games thread about it). A good more traditional one is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

But hey, they just may not be your thing. I can't say true roguelikes will be for everyone.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

IRQ posted:

Dwarf fortress is stupid and complicated in an over the top way which is just awful. Nethack, however, is amazing.

Anyone who loves Dark Souls should like Nethack. The game is brutally fair.

Cocoham
Dec 30, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Think of it like a turn-based RPG with about ten times the depth of most games you find today and permadeath that makes your decisions (or mistakes) matter. Once you get past the graphical/UI hump they are pretty good for when you're in the mood to play something that makes you slow down and think a bit instead of a twitch game. Probably not thrilling to watch but they can be pretty involving once you dig in.

For more modern ones try Dungeons of Dreadmore or ToME (both on Steam) or the upcoming Dungeonmans, in production after a Kickstarter and pretty far along (the dev posts in the Games thread about it). A good more traditional one is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

But hey, they just may not be your thing. I can't say true roguelikes will be for everyone.

I don't think theres been a better time to post a trailer for this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MhmdADb2tQ

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Did Final Fantasy 14 Reborn and DC Universe Online do well on consoles? I don't really have a good grasp on how popular MMOs are on them.

DCUO seems to be one of the new flagship titles for SOE, licensed or not - they reworked the game engine for all non-PS3 platforms, made sure it was out day one on PS4, and redesigned the whole thing from the ground up recently the same time they culled 2 or 3 other titles from their lineup that just weren't making cash. I would be willing to wager that it's doing pretty well.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mordiceius posted:

Anyone who loves Dark Souls should like Nethack. The game is brutally fair.
Nethack is also a lot like Dark Souls in that I recognize its brilliance and have absolutely zero fun playing it.

It's kind of odd that FTL was my personal game of the year when it came out.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Nethack is also a lot like Dark Souls in that I recognize its brilliance and have absolutely zero fun playing it.

That's not really very odd considering how incredibly good FTL is as well.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

WhiteHowler posted:

To be fair, FTL is a modern game with an interface designed by people that can draw upon decades of iterative improvements on game UI design, whereas Nethack is an ancient game with an interface designed by 1980s programmers who started making the game back when GUIs were far from ubiquitous. You don't even have to get into the relative merits of the game mechanics or tactical depth to explain why someone might not enjoy Nethack, the interface is just that bad. Nothing says "Friday night fun" like sitting down and memorizing a mountain of keybinds and a ton of esoteric extended commands. Today's ASCII-based roguelikes blow it out of the water in terms of usability, and commercial games like FTL are an order of magnitude better than those.

Plus, like Moonwalk said, FTL is just a good loving game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only thing that prevents FTL from being one of the greats for me is that it's too random. With Dark Souls and the like you learn and succeed through repetition and failure. With FLT you succeed because the game rolled the dice right and you just got the right amount of junk and whatnot to get the good items so you can take on all the stages and the final boss ship. I had fun with the game but it's a bit too random for my tastes.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

To be fair, FTL is a modern game with an interface designed by people that can draw upon decades of iterative improvements on game UI design...

Dwarf Fortress is a modern game with a UI that is worse than if someone randomly assigned every key press to a random thing!

God, if that dude just let someone come in and spend a year flattening out the UI and making it usable by normal humans he'd be loving rich.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Dwarf Fortress is a modern game with a UI that is worse than if someone randomly assigned every key press to a random thing!

God, if that dude just let someone come in and spend a year flattening out the UI and making it usable by normal humans he'd be loving rich.

Oh yeah, I agree completely. I should have written that as "FTL is a modern game with an interface designed by people who drew upon decades of iterative improvements on game UI design."

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
http://blog.maxistentialism.com/post/72906801023/i-had-a-dream-that-dave-lang-from-iron-galaxy

I'm just gonna leave this here.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Toady is...hard to describe. The dude is making DF not out of a desire for fame or money but simply because he wants to, and I'm certain that if he had all the cash in the world he probably wouldn't even accept donations. He has some serious passion for what he's doing with all the good and bad that entails, and even if you'd think he was some giant loving sperg because of all the detail and strange prioritization in DF's development, he's an alright dude in real life.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I just want to be able to play his game without having two different ways to move through menus depending on what menu you are in because it makes sense to his aspergers riddled brain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Dwarf Fortress's design makes a lot more sense once you realize that Toady has a doctorate in mathematics. Presenting their work in a comprehensible and friendly manner wasn't an especially high priority for any of the math PhDs I met back in college (I'm with Rorie in the "former physics major" club and had to deal with a LOT of math doctors).

A huge part of the work he and his brother do is devoted to this massive algorithmic world generator that the player will only interact with a small sliver of. The player might spend their time building a giant granite phallus that sprays molten lead on invaders and visiting dignitaries, but somewhere on the other side of the world the formulas and variables are directing the armies of an ancient and evil god against the last outpost of an upstart civilization of goblins ruled by an escaped elf slave that rose to power through sheer brutality and cunning.

The fact that the player can't interact with it in any meaningful way yet seems almost secondary to Toady's desire to make the event itself logical and realistic.

(For the record, I adore Dwarf Fortress, have donated money to Toady a few times, and have probably dumped 200+ hours into it since late 2006).

• Locked thread