Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Took an impromptu vacation and stopped at Wright-Pat on my way back. Second time there and I took the tour to see the Valkyrie. Probably sounds cliché, but it does seem bigger in real life.

Not a whole lot of people there today, so I kept running into the same dozen people even on the tour. Including two jokers who kept saying all of the aircraft were scale replicas (most notably the C-17 and C-141 in the airpark), because 'they're actually really big', even after the tour guide told them they were actual aircraft.

Got a chuckle out of seeing the D-21B. Though now I'm interested in that Piper "Mustang" they had. I've got to read up on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Neat wake vortex video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViKYFsN3p24

Blistex posted:

Really?

I get on last so that most people are finished packing and fumbling around. Seats are assigned, I would rather spend that 20-30 minutes sitting in a comfortable lounge than in a tight chair with too little leg room.

I get off last because there is usually a frantic race of elbows and handbags, and as soon as the person next to me leaves I take their legroom. I don't know what kind of witchcraft is involved when I get off a plane, but when I take my time I find the line at customs to be less of a wait. I used to be a "first on and first off" kind of guy, but ever since I've started doing this, I have found I spend much less time getting in and out of my seat for people trying to stow their gear and much less time waiting in lines to declare nothing. A lot of this has to do with flying KAL. Also ducking off into the first bathroom or checking my mail in a chair for a few minutes helps as well.

"Typically my connecting flights are multiple hours apart, and I'm never in a rush from the airport."
I used to be a last on/first off kinda guy, but that was before the airlines started charging for checked luggage and everyone started carrying massive bags. Now I'm first on/first off. I like to be ensured space for my bag, and have found even a little bit of hurry-up deplaning can save hours in immigration.

I'm with you on the layover stress; with as often as flights get delayed, I like to schedule 90 minute layovers. I don't ever like to schedule less than 3 hours if I have to go through customs; 8 or 9 times out of 10 I'll fly through, but I've been stuck in that loving line for 3 hours before.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Wow, sure enough they stop EXACTLY when the plane touches down. I was taught this, but seeing it happen is quite interesting.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

The Ferret King posted:

Wow, sure enough they stop EXACTLY when the plane touches down. I was taught this, but seeing it happen is quite interesting.
Looked to me like it was coming off the flaps, and stopped because they raised the spoilers.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I also expected them to be a bit.... bigger.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^I'm sure there's a much larger, invisible vortex that's slower moving; it's just the inner, fast-rotating portion that causes the visible condensation (or whatever that is).^

grover posted:

Looked to me like it stopped because they raised the spoilers.

I was gonna say it was when they started dropping the nose, which lowered the angle of attack.

It all happens at once, and it's probably immaterial which directly caused it. They arise because of the pressure differential that generates lift; when the wing stops generating lift, the vortices go away.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

xaarman posted:

I also expected them to be a bit.... bigger.

What you're seeing in this video isn't exactly a wake vortex; it's just the air spilling off the outboard edge of the wing flaps. It does form part of the wake vortex (and it is the fastest rotating part), but it doesn't reflect the true size at all.

I'm phone posting right now so I can't find it easily, but there's a video on YouTube done by NASA in the 70s where various aircraft flew through coloured smoke to study wake turbulence; that video shows just how big they really are.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
That's some Donnie Darko poo poo right there.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

YF19pilot posted:

Got a chuckle out of seeing the D-21B. Though now I'm interested in that Piper "Mustang" they had. I've got to read up on that.

The PA-48 was basically a modification of a modification of the original Mustang. In 1957, a Florida newspaper publisher named David Lindsay got the idea to modify and refurbish old P-51's into executive aircraft, and in the mid 1960's the company was contracted to refurbish F-51's into ground attack aircraft for counter-insurgency aircraft that were provided to Bolivia, El Salvador, and Indonesia.

Lindsay tried to interest the US government in a turboprop powered version of the Mustang, but since they weren't interested, he sold the design to Piper in 1970, in hopes that a company with a larger manufacturing capability might be able to secure a contract. The plan sort of worked, since Piper built two prototypes for evaluation in 1971 (one was lost in a crash), and after years of lobbying, funding was granted for two more that were built and tested in 1983-84).

Despite the fact that the Enforcer (as the aircraft was called) performed well in testing, no production orders were ever placed, with one of the surviving aircraft going to the USAF museum in Ohio, and the other one is in storage at Edwards AFB awaiting restoration.

simble
May 11, 2004

grover posted:

Looked to me like it was coming off the flaps, and stopped because they raised the spoilers.

They stop when lift stops.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

MrChips posted:

What you're seeing in this video isn't exactly a wake vortex; it's just the air spilling off the outboard edge of the wing flaps. It does form part of the wake vortex (and it is the fastest rotating part), but it doesn't reflect the true size at all.

I'm phone posting right now so I can't find it easily, but there's a video on YouTube done by NASA in the 70s where various aircraft flew through coloured smoke to study wake turbulence; that video shows just how big they really are.

Is it this one?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hey I get to ride in a DASH later this month EWR to PIT! First time ever!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Quote is not edit

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 10, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Jealous Cow posted:

You poor bastard, condolences.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

Jealous Cow posted:

I assure you, it's nothing to be excited about. They are loud (at least all the ones I ride on), not very fast, and really good at flying through lovely weather and making you feel like you're in a paint mixer.

Unfortunately for me when I fly out of SBY they are my only choice. When I take the short flight to PHL it's always on a -100 model.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Just for a frame of reference, are they louder or quieter than an ATR? Because that's the only turboprop airliner I've ever ridden on and holy poo poo, never again (at least not without earplugs). I feel like in the year of our lord 2014 it is not unreasonable to expect that an airliner would have good enough soundproofing to not require you to yell to be heard in the cabin, but that is not the case with ATRs.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
1:45 to cross the state of Pennsylvania :wtc:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Bunch of people whining about turboprops up ins

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

iyaayas01 posted:

Just for a frame of reference, are they louder or quieter than an ATR? Because that's the only turboprop airliner I've ever ridden on and holy poo poo, never again (at least not without earplugs). I feel like in the year of our lord 2014 it is not unreasonable to expect that an airliner would have good enough soundproofing to not require you to yell to be heard in the cabin, but that is not the case with ATRs.

The newer ones are quieter, the Q400 has acoustic noise canceling.

And for short hops, Dashes are just as fast as an ERJ or CRJ. Any time gained in a faster cruise is lost in the earlier descent and slow for spacing.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Ferry flight nap time. Goodnight all.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm listening to KCLT tower while waiting to push back and tower keeps telling the next ac up for departure that "advise so and so reports 20 knots lost on takeoff".

What are they referring to? I can't imagine thy are losing that much airspeed just after takeoff.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Polymerized Cum posted:

The newer ones are quieter, the Q400 has acoustic noise canceling.

And for short hops, Dashes are just as fast as an ERJ or CRJ. Any time gained in a faster cruise is lost in the earlier descent and slow for spacing.

A Q400 is to a Dash 8-100 what a brand new Greyhound bus is to riding in someone's enclosed pick-up bed on the highway in winter.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm listening to KCLT tower while waiting to push back and tower keeps telling the next ac up for departure that "advise so and so reports 20 knots lost on takeoff".

What are they referring to? I can't imagine thy are losing that much airspeed just after takeoff.

Shear?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Sure looks like it.

KCLT 101752Z 35006KT 6SM BR OVC003 05/04 A3026 RMK AO2 RAE50 SLP247 P0008 60020 T00500044 10050 20033 58033
KCLT 101724Z 1018/1118 02008KT 4SM -RA BR OVC003
FM102200 04006KT 2SM -DZ OVC003
FM110300 03003KT 3/4SM -SHRA BR OVC003 WS020/20035KT
FM110800 14004KT 3SM SHRA BR OVC004 WS020/20035KT
FM111400 18010KT 4SM SHRA BR OVC005 WS020/20040KT

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Jealous Cow posted:

That would be wind shear. It's a pretty severe weather condition especially when encountered on takeoff/landing when the airplane is already quite slow.

Some airports have the ability to detect wind shear at one or multiple points on the airport, otherwise ATC relies on pilot reports to become aware of the presence of shear.

Leviathor posted:

Sure looks like it.

KCLT 101752Z 35006KT 6SM BR OVC003 05/04 A3026 RMK AO2 RAE50 SLP247 P0008 60020 T00500044 10050 20033 58033
KCLT 101724Z 1018/1118 02008KT 4SM -RA BR OVC003
FM102200 04006KT 2SM -DZ OVC003
FM110300 03003KT 3/4SM -SHRA BR OVC003 WS020/20035KT
FM110800 14004KT 3SM SHRA BR OVC004 WS020/20035KT
FM111400 18010KT 4SM SHRA BR OVC005 WS020/20040KT

Interesting that it appears in a forecast. I didn't know they could predict it like that. I've never worked at a field with any sort of wind shear detection capability.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 10, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I flew a Dash-8 from New Haven to Philly a couple of times last month. It wasn't really bad at all. They still do drink service on that hour flight.

But I probably won't ever do it again, because only after I booked it did I find out that route has an abysmal on-time rate with pretty regular cancellations. The day I flew back, there were two of the four flights were delayed by two hours, and another was cancelled. Only mine was actually on-time, which was a miracle. For a business trip, that's not worth the risk to save the company a bit of money. (Yes, flying to SFO via PHL was cheaper than flying out of BDL Hartford.)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Flying into Bradley is ridiculously expensive, when I flew back east to see my grandma I ended up flying into Providence instead because it was $200 cheaper.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Not a good day for me to be flying into ORD. Half hour delay until the can tell us how long we're going to be delayed.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

azflyboy posted:

The PA-48 was basically a modification of a modification of the original Mustang. In 1957, a Florida newspaper publisher named David Lindsay got the idea to modify and refurbish old P-51's into executive aircraft, and in the mid 1960's the company was contracted to refurbish F-51's into ground attack aircraft for counter-insurgency aircraft that were provided to Bolivia, El Salvador, and Indonesia.

Lindsay tried to interest the US government in a turboprop powered version of the Mustang, but since they weren't interested, he sold the design to Piper in 1970, in hopes that a company with a larger manufacturing capability might be able to secure a contract. The plan sort of worked, since Piper built two prototypes for evaluation in 1971 (one was lost in a crash), and after years of lobbying, funding was granted for two more that were built and tested in 1983-84).

Despite the fact that the Enforcer (as the aircraft was called) performed well in testing, no production orders were ever placed, with one of the surviving aircraft going to the USAF museum in Ohio, and the other one is in storage at Edwards AFB awaiting restoration.

It's been reported part of the reason the USAF didn't want anything to do with the PA-48 is that by the 1970's they had basically no taildragger-qualified pilots left. Now, granted, the USAF/USN didn't totally divest themselves of C-47's/C-117's until just about that period, but I suppose it's a valid point. I'm sure the usual "It's not a Fighter, it doesn't give me a raging Fighter Jet Airpower Warrior Airmen Boner, cancel it" was in play as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/man-selfies-plane-crash-both-incredible-terrifying-190126941.html

Dude go-pros his plane crash.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OK, dumb question about a turboprop - the Tu 95.

Has anybody heard what they are like to fly? Like a drunk albatross? All et up with motor? Does the extreme NVH on long flights drive men mad?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of dumb questions, does anyone have any info about Senior Span? I know it's a pretty recent modernization on the U-2, but there doesn't seem to be any info about it.

Come to think of it, a U2 post would be awesome, as well. Big ol' floppy-winged bastards :allears:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

If they were in icing conditions they needed to have the props set at 1050rpm, while the normal cruise setting is 900 (applies to both the ATR and DHC-8). That could explain why it was so loud, or it could be that they were speeding to a long overnight with a decent hotel bar. :dance:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

Has anybody heard what they are like to fly? Like a drunk albatross? All et up with motor? Does the extreme NVH on long flights drive men mad?

Pilot impressions from Russian bombers are very hard to find; especially for an aircraft still in service as the Tu-95 is. That said, what I have seen would indicate that the Tu-95 is a pretty dependable aircraft that flies (for an aircraft of its vintage) fairly well. Supposedly, it isn't as loud inside as you might expect; mind you that probably means it is merely deafening and not bowel-looseningly loud.

E: Something else about the Tu-95 is that its safety record is apparently one of the best in any of the air arms of the Russian military, even going back well into Soviet times.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 11, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ausgezeichnet posted:

If they were in icing conditions they needed to have the props set at 1050rpm, while the normal cruise setting is 900 (applies to both the ATR and DHC-8). That could explain why it was so loud, or it could be that they were speeding to a long overnight with a decent hotel bar. :dance:

It was a flight from MIA to EYW that I'm pretty sure didn't get above 10,000 feet.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I really wanted to go to the open day for Beale AFB where several of the remaining U-2 fleet is based, but I don't think they had one last year, I checked a whole bunch of times. I'm not sure how I'd get up there (central CA) anyway. It's such a unique airplane.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

smackfu posted:

I flew a Dash-8 from New Haven to Philly a couple of times last month. It wasn't really bad at all. They still do drink service on that hour flight.

But I probably won't ever do it again, because only after I booked it did I find out that route has an abysmal on-time rate with pretty regular cancellations. The day I flew back, there were two of the four flights were delayed by two hours, and another was cancelled. Only mine was actually on-time, which was a miracle. For a business trip, that's not worth the risk to save the company a bit of money. (Yes, flying to SFO via PHL was cheaper than flying out of BDL Hartford.)

Quit whining, I just flew POM-KVG-RAB in a Q400 with only procedural flight following and constant storm dodging. Y'all don't know the meaning of real Dash-8 flying!

Also, because I hate myself, I'm going up to Mt. Hagen in a -100 later this week.

Yes, I am in PNG- yes there will be a war sperging post later when I finish war sperging.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Fun flying down there. No storm dodging like mid-pacific storm dodging!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Nebakenezzer posted:

Coincidentally enough, Kossack Air Force had a big post about the Tu-95 recently.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/07/1266893/-Cold-War-Relics-TU-95-Bear

The author claims that intercepting pilots could hear and feel it over their own engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

StandardVC10 posted:

I really wanted to go to the open day for Beale AFB where several of the remaining U-2 fleet is based, but I don't think they had one last year, I checked a whole bunch of times. I'm not sure how I'd get up there (central CA) anyway. It's such a unique airplane.

There may not have been one last year due to the sequester/budget cutbacks. I know remember several demo teams cancelled their tours, for one thing.