Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mnemosyne posted:

It's Cordelia.

Yeah, I got that (along with Josephine and Chopin) literally right after I finished it.

Still, a 36 isn't bad, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Better than I would've done, it looks like I would've gotten a 26 on this one. It was frustrating, I could picture who they were talking about in those questions, but "King Lear's youngest daughter" or "Napoleon's (first) wife" or "that Pop Art guy who my mom almost ran over in Manhattan when she was practicing driving at 3am one time" obviously aren't going to fly as answers.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
When I realized I only got 11 of the first 30 right, I stopped counting. What a brutal test. I thought I did so well, too!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I'm glad it was a hard test and it's not just that I'm an idiot.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ugh, I only took the test from last night. First time I've done it, never felt so stupid in all my life. I think I got maybe 15-20, tops.

Glad to hear other people thought it was difficult.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I wonder if there's been any trouble with the current champion.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Pretty funny that that guy didn't realize how mugshots work in that video Daily Double.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
It was crazy that nobody yesterday knew what Vitameatavegamin was from, right? I'm a fairly young person not from America who's never seen an episode of I Love Lucy but I've still seen that bit referenced many, many times in various things.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

GraPar posted:

It was crazy that nobody yesterday knew what Vitameatavegamin was from, right? I'm a fairly young person not from America who's never seen an episode of I Love Lucy but I've still seen that bit referenced many, many times in various things.

I'm 29, from America, and this is the first I've ever heard of this.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Pierce and Pierce posted:

I'm 29, from America, and this is the first I've ever heard of this.

They even spotted you Lucille Ball and you couldn't get it?

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

zakharov posted:

They even spotted you Lucille Ball and you couldn't get it?

I didn't take the test, I was just commenting on 'Vitameatavegamin'.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Don't think these got posted yet, an OK looking list of Thursday answers. Think I managed 40.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

what about the actual questions?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think there's a video on page one but for whatever reason that thread never got updated with the text like the other nights did.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Everybody stopped giving a gently caress when they realized how brutal Thursday's test was.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Congratulations to Michelle for managing to tell an actual funny joke on Jeopardy.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
poo poo, none of them got enrichment? That was easy as hell. And yeah, that Selena joke was excellent.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress, I forgot to take the test. Probably a good thing. I'm probably dumber now than I was a decade ago.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

LiLo :hehe:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
This girl has all the personality of a goddamn washcloth.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ha, I love that most of pilots' actual call-signs are usually fun little in-jokes and such.

I'd like to imagine that if anyone in flight school tried to get people to call them something like "Maverick" or "Iceman" they'd get laughed at so hard and end up being called "Pussy Willow" or "Nematoad."

Wait...poo poo, Nematoad is awesome, can I be Nematoad? :shobon:

Oh, and for Jeopardy talk, I'm sad the pilot is gone. LiLo was cool.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
I always root for attractive women on Jeopardy but Emily made that very difficult for me today when she said that the last living Civil War vet died in 2011 and answered Ellen Degeneres for a clue asking about a rapper.

oh and she said Pope Alexander advised a British monarch to take a concubine in FJ.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

The Piper posted:

I always root for attractive women on Jeopardy but Emily made that very difficult for me today when she said that the last living Civil War vet died in 2011 and answered Ellen Degeneres for a clue asking about a rapper.

oh and she said Pope Alexander advised a British monarch to take a concubine in FJ.

I don't know why Trebek pointed out how stupid an answer that was, when everyone else thought the same thing and the actual answer was Martin Luther. It's okay if one religious figure says "better that one person go to Hell than an entire country" but ridiculous when another does it?

The other answers are indefensibly dumb, though.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

jscolon2.0 posted:

I don't know why Trebek pointed out how stupid an answer that was, when everyone else thought the same thing and the actual answer was Martin Luther. It's okay if one religious figure says "better that one person go to Hell than an entire country" but ridiculous when another does it?

The other answers are indefensibly dumb, though.

I think Luther was a moron for even suggesting it but it's not like Henry would've cared either way. The only possible explanation is that she was thinking Pope Alexander VI who was one of the Borgias but he was dead for 30 years at that point. The other two didn't even try to guess a specific Pope so she had the best wrong answer of the three

Her other wrong answers should be rightfully mocked by all

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Trebeck: "I usually [put my legs behind my head] too, but only after I've been drinking."

:stare:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Trebek is a serious boozehound. I've read stories about how weird he can be off camera.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Honestly, when I heard Canadian celebrity, DUI, model, and drag racing, my first thought was Trebek.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No, Trebek's been sober for years; dude has just always had a goofy-assed sense of humor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzc9ZadFpP0

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I think Karen might be the stupidest person I've ever seen on Jeopardy

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Everyone who sees that final category and doesn't bet the house is dumb. That was always gonna be Silent Spring with an outside shot at In Cold Blood.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

50 Shades of Gray?? I hope that was a pre-arranged shoutout to someone because good lord.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Everyone who sees that final category and doesn't bet the house is dumb. That was always gonna be Silent Spring with an outside shot at In Cold Blood.

I saw that category and immediately said out loud, "In Cold Blood." I don't know what Silent Spring even is.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Never heard of em. Wouldn't consider them that groundbreaking.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Never heard of em. Wouldn't consider them that groundbreaking.

I hadn't heard of it either, but apparently it is credited with beginning an environmentally conscious movement. I'd say that's the among the most groundbreaking accomplishments, as we live in a different world than we would without the book.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Silent Spring is a really huge deal. As mentioned it is in many ways responsible for the environmental movement as it exists today (for good and bad), but it is also pretty much solely responsible for the popular support for and subsequent implementation of pesticide testing and regulation in the US. As far as classic books it is also very misunderstood; people assume it is anti-pesticide but it's not, Carson was in favor of responsible pesticide use.

So yeah check it out

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What was the category and prompt that she missed? My power went out and dvr missed the ep.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

thathonkey posted:

What was the category and prompt that she missed? My power went out and dvr missed the ep.

Groundbreaking Nonfiction:

"This book, something something 1962, had chapters that included [insert chapter name here], [insert chapter name here], [insert chapter name here] and [insert chapter name here]"

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

escape artist posted:

Groundbreaking Nonfiction:

"This book, something something 1962, had chapters that included [insert chapter name here], [insert chapter name here], [insert chapter name here] and [insert chapter name here]"

One of the titles was about not being able to hear the birds singing. Equally obvious the other way round with no year and just titles.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Trebek's Scottish accent sure is something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Words cannot express how much I want to strangle every contestant from today with all their category jumping. There was a point where literally all that was left was the $400 clue in every single category. :bang: