Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

Jeez, I really really enjoyed Hal Leonard bass method part I - pretty much everything in that first tome is gold IMO, but the second part is really testing my patience - two songs and then PAGES of tabs, scale patterns and then just loads of songs in a weird key signature and full of accidentals (E Major scale for most of the song run OH LOOK HERE COMES G Major I hope you were ready for that!)

Yeah, I know how you feel, I started to skim a little bit when I got to all the key changes and stuff. But it's not as complicated as it looks. The beauty of the bass is that your scale pattern will work the same no matter what key you're in, you're just on a different root. Definitely listen to the play-along tracks for each exercise a few times before you give up - it might be easier than it looks on paper.

edit: failing that, maybe just skip them entirely and go on to the next exercises. Your bass isn't going to melt like a treasure in the cave of wonders if you decide to play something further ahead in the book.

Macavity fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Scarf posted:

Nah, no problem at all! I need to get some up anyway because I'm actually in the market to sell mine... Is she looking to get a Skyline or a US model? If skyline, she might be interested in mine. It's been lovingly used. I had them install a bone nut when I ordered it, and they went back and installed the single-coils for me, at THEIR suggestion. I was having some problems with the coil-tap system, and they told me they felt like the single coils sounded better anyway if I wanted to have them swap out the entire system. It's also strung up with some wonderfully aged La Bella DT Flatwounds :)

No idea about any codes for ordering...

First choice currently is a factory-fresh US model, but as she's almost certainly going to want single coils and I'm sure you treat your gear right I'd say make her an offer - if you send me a PM I'll pass it on, and she can contact you herself via email if interested. It's odd how they don't use single coils as the standard configuration, btw; their own soundclips of the tapped neck and neck/bridge combo with flatwounds sound rather tinny.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Welp, looks like New Bass Quest 2013-14 might have reached a conclusion today. The big Ibanez dealer in town offered to take $200 off the price for a SR1400E, which would bring it down to such a stupidly good price, I can't justify not getting it.

On the other hand, this option will leave a lot of extra cash in the bass fund... maybe enough to get a second sweet bass later in the year. Maybe a Skyline... or a Fender ADJB... or a Warwick Thumb.... or a Carvin SB4000.... or or

I must thank the bass thread for holding my hand through all of this.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Since I've been looking lately I might as well ask:

Do any of y'all have suggestions for a good combo amp? It needs to be loud enough to jam with people occasionally and other than that I don't really have many requirements other than it sounding decent with any old Fender bass put through it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

What's your price range? Because if you're one of those "money is no object" kind of people, I'd suggest giving one of those Ampeg B-15 fliptop reissues a spin (if only to tell the rest of us what it's like :newlol:)

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Lol no. I'll say $450 or less so I can get something pretty good (it'd have to be loud, too), but I'd also go for anything a lot cheaper if it's good.

I haven't shopped for combo amps since I first started and back then I knew nothing. I sold my gigging rig and now I just want something I can play on by myself and with some guitarist friends every now and then.

e: I'm going to be going to a Guitar Center soon anyway to look at amps so I will be trying stuff for myself, but I was just wondering if y'all had any suggestions.

Mineaiki fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 6, 2014

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
There are a couple of exceptionally good combos out there nowadays that fit that budget.

Peavey Max II: DI in the 112 and 115, built in tuners on everything, high-power Class D amps in the 110-115. Still a little heavy, as they aren't Neo speakers and have typical Peavey tank-like build quality. I have the 112 as my all-in-one upright amp and love it, but I'm going to pull & weigh the speaker to see how much improvement I can make weight-wise as it's a bit of a load still.

GK MB series: Class D and Neo speakers. About 10 pounds lighter than the corresponding Peavey. Better selection of speaker configurations. No tuner. DI on all, including the 110. A little bit more expensive than the Peavey, but probably worth it on weight.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking into GKs.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

Mineaiki posted:

Lol no. I'll say $450 or less so I can get something pretty good (it'd have to be loud, too), but I'd also go for anything a lot cheaper if it's good.

I haven't shopped for combo amps since I first started and back then I knew nothing. I sold my gigging rig and now I just want something I can play on by myself and with some guitarist friends every now and then.

e: I'm going to be going to a Guitar Center soon anyway to look at amps so I will be trying stuff for myself, but I was just wondering if y'all had any suggestions.

If you stretch your budget or find a good used deal, might want to check out this TC Electronics amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tc-electronic-bg250-208-250w-2x8-bass-combo-amp-with-toneprint

It's small, but loud and sounds pretty good.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Oh yes.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Are those Nordstrands?

Do you have any sound clips?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Of the Valkyrie, not yet.

That bass with those pickups (Nordstrand Big Singles,) yes, on my brother's record, check tracks 1 and 6.

or here's me playing a bunch of garbage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ZBwXJPOeg

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 9, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hot dang, now that's a headstock I can get behind! :flashfap:

Oh and the rest is cool too I guess.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
What kind of instrument stand is that? I need a rack mount guitar hanger and all I can find online is this "string swing" brand and a discontinued model from Wallacher:

https://www.stringswing.com/product/cc14-folding-rack-mount-guitar-hanger

http://www.amazon.com/WALLACHER-WR1-Rackmount-Guitar-Hanger/dp/B0002VR9HY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Planet Waves Guitar Dock

js86
Jul 22, 2012
I posted this in the new gear thread, but I thought I'd post this here too. New Stingray:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That's a pretty sweet Ray! I've always liked the multi-pickup ones. I'd love to get one some day, but a dark cherry one if possible:

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I'm VERY happy with my Warwick, but I do like me a Stingray. The blacked-out style is... hnngh

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Covert ops Stingray. Sam Fisher's bass of choice.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The EBMM stealth look is so nice. It's a shame I don't really care for my Bongo because it looks insane. It's funny how much better theirs look compared to your everyday all black metal metal metal guitars and basses.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I really can't get over the toilet shaped pick guard. Especially on bongos where the rest of the bass is shaped like that. I can't handle it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Of course it's just me sperging out and being OCD as gently caress and has no bearing on the actual sound... but I hate how the poles never lines up directly under the strings on the neck pickup on EBMM basses.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 11, 2014

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Everyone knows that Bongos are for sexual deviants and anarchists.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
I like how Bongos sound for the most part but they are a bit overpriced, so unless it was used and cheap as hell I don't think I'd ever buy one. If I was going to pay that much for a bass I'd rather buy something that I really liked.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
why would they name an instrument after a different instrument

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

ZetsurinPower posted:

why would they name an instrument after a different instrument

Hofner started it :colbert:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Is that what that thing is called?

My music teacher has one hanging up on the wall of his shop. It was there when I first started lessons 7 years ago. It's still there today.

Every time I walk in I look at it and think that it's the ugliest bass I have ever seen but I didn't know what it was called.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
At least it resembles the instrument its named after.

and yeah it is ugly as hell, also known as the Paul McCartney bass its the most effeminate bass on earth

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

ZetsurinPower posted:

and yeah it is ugly as hell, also known as the Paul McCartney bass its the most effeminate bass on earth

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
look how loving wrong you all are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyHqJ4U1UE

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

How beautiful and funky, what tone. So bass. :v:

And if you doubt this guy's fingers, check out what he does with an upright https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpCGjIz3p-Q!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 14, 2014

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I wrote an entire song based around a small portion of a Chris Wood solo... That's how much of a loving Chris Wood fanboy I am.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Violin basses aren't bad at all. I consider them the missing link between the violin and the arch top guitar, unless that particular bass s a braced flat top or (yecch) solid body in the shape of the violin bass. That said I still prefer Hofner arch top basses to the violin bass.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

ewe2 posted:

How beautiful and funky, what tone. So bass. :v:

And if you doubt this guy's fingers, check out what he does with an upright https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpCGjIz3p-Q!

I hate how white everyone is, in the audience of that video. Not white like skin tone, just how white they are by sitting staring uninterestedly at this funk presented before them.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

HollisBrown posted:

I hate how white everyone is, in the audience of that video. Not white like skin tone, just how white they are by sitting staring uninterestedly at this funk presented before them.

It's from the North Sea Jazz festival in the Netherlands. So yeah, lands devoid of funk.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fast forward to a very different treatment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4MK7TNDmDw. Not only had I not heard Chris Wood now I have to catch up with Steve Swallow :doh: Also, this rare Scofield-Pastorius jam on Chicken https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhkPSEXs1Q. Imagine that album...

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
you could show me a video of satan on a mountain of skulls playing ace of spades at 2x speed on a violin bass and I would still think its lame but its good if you like it and differences make the world go round so :)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Has anyone here checked out Bryan Beller's Tone mastery DVD? it looks kinda neat but I would prefer someone vouch for it before I purchase it or another piece of learning material that might help me find new ways to add texture to my playing (if that's the right word).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meKxa_oedh0

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 15, 2014

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Odddzy posted:

Has anyone here checked out Bryan Beller's Tone mastery DVD? it looks kinda neat but I would prefer someone vouch for it before I purchase it or another piece of learning material that might help me find new ways to add texture to my playing (if that's the right word).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meKxa_oedh0

Seems like a lot of Entwistle's techniques just applied to metal. Pretty useful stuff for anyone to learn. There's a lot of resources out there on Entwistle-style techniques, so yeah, definitely explore that stuff... Super useful in a lot of different genres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So almost every player I know rests their thumb on one of the pickups. I like to rest mine right at the bass of the neck (where the neck meets the body). Should I make the effort to switch to resting on the pickups or is it more whatever is comftorable? Will it make a difference in sound?