Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Haven't done it yet, but I figure it'd work with a huge dynasty to have as vassals (to balance out the -10 relations) and just being a tyrant to anyone that looks like they might start trouble. Like that point on other successions where you figure your ruler is old enough that you can take the tyranny hit, only now it's all the rule of every ruler.

You also amass massive dynasty prestige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Pope likes me better because I've met the Merry Men.

CK2, everybody.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So what does everyone like to do with imprisoned vassals after a revolt?

Usually I just keep them locked up because how dare you rise against your liege. If I'm strapped for cash I'll ransom back the ones with at least 50+ relationship. I revoke titles if I'm not at max demesne holdings or just want ownership of a specific province.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Release can be good for turning borderline rebels into good supporters - I think releasing one gives a +10 to all other vassals? If so release the weakest one and do whatever with the rest.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Away all Goats posted:

So what does everyone like to do with imprisoned vassals after a revolt?

Usually I just keep them locked up because how dare you rise against your liege. If I'm strapped for cash I'll ransom back the ones with at least 50+ relationship. I revoke titles if I'm not at max demesne holdings or just want ownership of a specific province.
It's situational as hell. The ones who decided they love me after all might get ransomed, or might not if I'm still annoyed with them or their claims would be trouble for anyone else to press. Or maybe I'll release somebody to make a public show of what a nice guy I am. Or I'll strip their goddamn title because gently caress you, buddy. Or I'll leave them in jail forever. It really depends.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I've only been under seniority succession when some powerful vassal of my dynasty forces it on me and acquiescing and getting some old lady as my heir seems preferable to potentially losing a war or losing the throne all together. So it's more an interesting challenge to be overcome that something you'd actually use for its own sake.

I could also see it being very situationally useful if you have some kind of super worrisome succession and want to get it back undisputedly in your dynasty like, e.g., if you have a queen with a bunch of kids outside your dynasty because you were asleep at the wheel or a bunch of elder siblings died all in a row or something, but the potential seniority heir has plenty of kids of his or her own lined up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Has anyone ever run a game under Seniority succession, even as a self-imposed challenge? If so, could you make it work?

It just seems like bouncing from old dude to old dude so you can't educate your heirs, never know exactly who your heir will be, and are pretty much constantly in Short Reign would be impossible.

I used Tanistry (basically elective crossed with seniority. NOONE votes for your guy. Ever.) in an Ireland game for roleplaying purposes and it makes for an extremely stable realm. The only problem arises when you hold more than one of your highest level title because they split upon death.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I used Tanistry (basically elective crossed with seniority. NOONE votes for your guy. Ever.) in an Ireland game for roleplaying purposes and it makes for an extremely stable realm. The only problem arises when you hold more than one of your highest level title because they split upon death.

I guess this is the other reason to maybe use seniority-- if you have some kind of roleplaying reason to do so. :v:

I guess when I had my boy king knuckle under to his pushy aunt and adopt seniority that was sort of roleplaying too, although I 100% certainly would have lost the resulting war if I'd said no since all my levies were dead in a ditch somewhere in Leinster.

Ironically, my aunt died before she ever succeeded since even if seniority puts you first in line for the throne, that doesn't really help when you're first in line after a boy king unless you're planning on murdering him later on.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel like I'm running a pro-bedlam in my nation, I somehow gotten a glut of crazy and possessed people, and having bad experience with them - I decided to take the Tyranny hit with my old dude and locked them up so they don't decide to off my heir or some such.

Can't bring myself to kill them, as it's not their fault they're stark raving mad.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Is there any way to release a new merchant republic while playing as one? I'm currently Doge of Pisa and we won the crusade for Jerusalem, and I want to make it an independent but I can't find any way to do it.

-Simply giving the kingdom title to somebody results in a regular unplayable republic (presumably because the capital's inland).
-Giving a coastal county first and then the kingdom title (so the capital's on the coast) also results in an unplayable republic, for no clear reason.
-Creating a coastal duchy-level republic, destroying the Kingdom title and giving all the other counties to the new doge also creates an unplayable republic. This happens even if I only give him coastal land. Ditto for doing this and then giving the new doge the Kingdom title instead of destroying it.
-Giving all the land to a noble King, reloading as him and attempting to release it from his end results in a one-province MR because apparently you can't give more than 10% of your land to mayor vassals.

The only time it propagates patrician families is if I do it while playing as a noble, and then it won't let me give the rest of the land to the new republic, or even just the rest of the counties in the same duchy. Is there some other way I can force this through?

e: while I'm in here, is there any way to destroy trade posts you don't want anymore?

duralict fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 11, 2014

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I've started a new game as the (randomly picked) count of Evreux at the 867 start date. I'm a one county vassal of the Duke of Anjou, but Evreux is de jure part of Normandy. Here's my problem: I've been slowly trucking ahead, looking for ways to get above being a backwater count of nowhere. I've managed to force Gavelkind on my liege, hoping that it will somehow weaken his successors in the future and I'll be able to steal his lands. He only has one son right now, so I didn't gain that much, but hey. At some point he creates the Duchy of Normandy, and then a couple of months (years?) later I suddenly get a popup that I've usurped it from him. I'm suddenly the duke of Normandy and have a bunch of vassals and I haven't even lifted a finger! How did that happen? The duke of Anjou is not related to me and has not died yet, so no way it's Gavelkind at work.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tevery Best posted:

I've started a new game as the (randomly picked) count of Evreux at the 867 start date. I'm a one county vassal of the Duke of Anjou, but Evreux is de jure part of Normandy. Here's my problem: I've been slowly trucking ahead, looking for ways to get above being a backwater count of nowhere. I've managed to force Gavelkind on my liege, hoping that it will somehow weaken his successors in the future and I'll be able to steal his lands. He only has one son right now, so I didn't gain that much, but hey. At some point he creates the Duchy of Normandy, and then a couple of months (years?) later I suddenly get a popup that I've usurped it from him. I'm suddenly the duke of Normandy and have a bunch of vassals and I haven't even lifted a finger! How did that happen? The duke of Anjou is not related to me and has not died yet, so no way it's Gavelkind at work.

The king gave you the title?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Someone had a "See a new ruler in the Duchy of Normandy" plot most likely, you don't get any sort of warning if the guy holding the title just gives into the request rather than fighting.

This happened to me when I was trying to form Italy as the Duke of Milan in the 1066 start, and I'd already married my son to Matilda of Tuscany and somehow got the Duchy of Upper Burgundy from the Emperor a few years earlier. It's not normally particularly difficult to get pretty powerful very fast from that start, but that was pretty ridiculous.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'd say the plot was more likely, otherwise the duke wouldn't hate me for usurping his title, I think.

Doesn't matter, because Charles the Bald was ousted by the Duke of Flanders in 868. After which the Duke of Anjou (the same one who hated me for stealing Normandy) favoured me in the elections, then formed a faction to put me on the throne, presented an ultimatum to the new king and here I am, from one-county vassal to the King of France in three years, with no agency of my own.

This game.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Is there any reason not to white peace with revolt leaders? Press demands seems like it just gives you a bit of extra prestige, but you still imprison the leader with white peace.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Demanding surrender of religious rebels gives your religion +1% moral authority and gives you much more prestige AND piety than simply accepting white peace. The reward for completely crushing peasant revolts are not good enough, with them I would always accept a white peace.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tevery Best posted:

I'd say the plot was more likely, otherwise the duke wouldn't hate me for usurping his title, I think.

Doesn't matter, because Charles the Bald was ousted by the Duke of Flanders in 868. After which the Duke of Anjou (the same one who hated me for stealing Normandy) favoured me in the elections, then formed a faction to put me on the throne, presented an ultimatum to the new king and here I am, from one-county vassal to the King of France in three years, with no agency of my own.

This game.

I had a game like that as the Count of Vermandois in 1066. Usurped the Duchy of Artois, then like a year later when Philippe Capet came of age, there was a massive civil war to institute Elective law (I didn't even take part). About six months later, Philippe loses the war, and the new electors chose... me. No effort whatsoever.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Drone posted:

I had a game like that as the Count of Vermandois in 1066. Usurped the Duchy of Artois, then like a year later when Philippe Capet came of age, there was a massive civil war to institute Elective law (I didn't even take part). About six months later, Philippe loses the war, and the new electors chose... me. No effort whatsoever.

Imagine the look on your duke's face when he got the letter that told him he'd been elected king!

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Who wants to get PREGNANT?!?
Did they change anything in SOA to let Catholics Mend the Schism? Or is that an Orthodox only thing still?

rvm
May 6, 2013
Is there a way, legit or via console, to restore Ecumenical Patriarchate? When I try to do it, it's just game over right away (because you can't play theocracy).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

rvm posted:

Is there a way, legit or via console, to restore Ecumenical Patriarchate? When I try to do it, it's just game over right away (because you can't play theocracy).

Do you mean it doesn't exist anymore? You can try giving a church vassal the title through the console, but I always thought the Ecumenical Patriarchate cannot cease to exist, like the Papacy.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Do you mean it doesn't exist anymore? You can try giving a church vassal the title through the console, but I always thought the Ecumenical Patriarchate cannot cease to exist, like the Papacy.

Yeah, it doesn't exist anymore.

Also, is elective as good as it seems or am I just lucky? As Ruthenia I converted to Orthodoxy early on via Bulgaria and went elective. I haven't had a single civil war for the whole game (it's 1150 now). I was in a rough spot once with dangerous factions (ironically, I was saved by Cumania, Lithuania and then some Norse host pretty much simultaneously declaring on me).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

rvm posted:

Yeah, it doesn't exist anymore.

Also, is elective as good as it seems or am I just lucky? As Ruthenia I converted to Orthodoxy early on via Bulgaria and went elective. I haven't had a single civil war for the whole game (it's 1150 now). I was in a rough spot once with dangerous factions (ironically, I was saved by Cumania, Lithuania and then some Norse host pretty much simultaneously declaring on me).

Elective is the best system by far if you don't lose the elections, and even then you can probably recover from that, you only have to hope that AI mismanagement doesn't leave your realm in ruins.

Look up the charID of the person you want to become patriarch, and then use:"give_title k_ecumenical_patriarchate [charID]". You may need to fiddle with the part after "k_" since I cannot remember how to write the space in titles.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

So what do I do when the HRE presses a claim on my crown? Is it just game over?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Parallax Scroll posted:

It depends on the size of your realm, just because you have fewer men doesn't mean you cannot beat their forces.

But the "normal" way to deal with people pressing a claim on your titles is killing them. Assassinate the claimant and the war will stop.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

iLurk posted:

Did they change anything in SOA to let Catholics Mend the Schism? Or is that an Orthodox only thing still?

I am pretty sure only Orthodoxy can mend the schism. When Catholics take over Orthodox places I think it is a situation where the Catholics are "lol you're catholic now". Meanwhile Orthodox people actually cared, hence why they can mend it.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

It depends on the size of your realm, just because you have fewer men doesn't mean you cannot beat their forces.

But the "normal" way to deal with people pressing a claim on your titles is killing them. Assassinate the claimant and the war will stop.

Well I wasn't expecting this outcome, but I'll take it.

My troops were already depleted when HRE declared war and I had no way to fight them off. So I took the queen whose claim was being pressed and nominated her as my heir, then surrendered. She apparently took ALL of my titles and game play transferred immediately to her. Her husband is the king of Lotharingia, so their daughter is set up to gain both Lotharingia and Ireland, though I guess she'll be a vassal to the Kaiser.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Parallax Scroll posted:

Well I wasn't expecting this outcome, but I'll take it.

My troops were already depleted when HRE declared war and I had no way to fight them off. So I took the queen whose claim was being pressed and nominated her as my heir, then surrendered. She apparently took ALL of my titles and game play transferred immediately to her. Her husband is the king of Lotharingia, so their daughter is set up to gain both Lotharingia and Ireland, though I guess she'll be a vassal to the Kaiser.

If he's the king, is your new heir of your dynasty? Better hope not, else you're looking at a game over :(

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

You only lose the title that the claim's being pressed for - if you have any other titles, including lower titles, you'll keep them. If someone presses a claim on your kingdom, but you also have duchies, you'll keep those duchies and just be downgraded from a king to a duke, and usually also keep whatever claim to the kingdom you had. Kingdoms usually aren't stable right after rulership changes, so if you focus on your power base, you'll have plenty of opportunities to take it back.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

You only lose the title that the claim's being pressed for - if you have any other titles, including lower titles, you'll keep them. If someone presses a claim on your kingdom, but you also have duchies, you'll keep those duchies and just be downgraded from a king to a duke, and usually also keep whatever claim to the kingdom you had. Kingdoms usually aren't stable right after rulership changes, so if you focus on your power base, you'll have plenty of opportunities to take it back.

Apparently not. I have no idea why she took all my titles.

Allyn posted:

If he's the king, is your new heir of your dynasty? Better hope not, else you're looking at a game over :(

Isn't the opposite true? I thought I wanted the heir to be of my dynasty.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Parallax Scroll posted:

Isn't the opposite true? I thought I wanted the heir to be of my dynasty.

Yeah I phrased it the wrong way round, my bad :shobon:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Allyn posted:

Yeah I phrased it the wrong way round, my bad :shobon:

We have one baby daughter and she's the heir of both my character (queen of Ireland) and her husband (king of Lotharingia). Also apparently both the king and queen are of my dynasty, and so is the kid, so I think I'm good.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

Apparently not. I have no idea why she took all my titles.

Some kinds of wars force the liege to abdicate to their heir, so it may have been something weird like that. Either that, or your old character got imprisoned and immediately executed. Check to see if he's still alive, maybe? Pressing claims doesn't normally take all the titles - that Byzantine Emperor I pressed someone's claim on a day or two ago kept his duchies and counties, though since he's old and incapable he's basically the least of my worries.

And on that note, things are really starting to suck. It's more than ten years later and my character, well into his 80s, has just plain refused to die. Suicidal battles, failed rebellions, spymasterless assassination attempts, plotting rivals with a spymaster who hates me - none of it has managed to end my Duke's life yet. Meanwhile, my heir isn't managing the Empire well, and with claimants everywhere, it's been a constant battle to keep the other vassals from placing a different claimant on the throne. Going to revoke so many duchies once play finally shifts to the Emperor.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Some kinds of wars force the liege to abdicate to their heir, so it may have been something weird like that.

Yeah, I guess that was it. It was listed as an abdication war.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Parallax Scroll posted:

Yeah, I guess that was it. It was listed as an abdication war.

Yeah that's not "I have a claim to your title" it's "You suck as a ruler, this dude would be totally better so piss off"

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Excelzior posted:

Yeah that's not "I have a claim to your title" it's "You suck as a ruler, this dude would be totally better so piss off"

I agree, she has great stats. This worked out just fine.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Drone posted:

How did you pull that off? I've tried that start before, and I can never get the guy off the ground without some serious fuckery. I think I pulled it off once by immediately borrowing money from the Jews, then stabscumming my father-in-law, then stabscumming his son, then starting a plot to assassinate my own loving son because he inherits the rest of the duchy if you quickly pull off those two stabbings.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DStecks posted:

How did you pull that off? I've tried that start before, and I can never get the guy off the ground without some serious fuckery. I think I pulled it off once by immediately borrowing money from the Jews, then stabscumming my father-in-law, then stabscumming his son, then starting a plot to assassinate my own loving son because he inherits the rest of the duchy if you quickly pull off those two stabbings.

Marry the Duke of Artois' daughter, stab her brother so she's the only heir, get a baby in her, then either stab the Duke or wait until he dies naturally. All the while, hope you get the Depressed trait, then once your wife inherits the Duchy, off her and then kill yourself.

In that specific game though, I just said "gently caress it" and forged a claim on one of the other provinces in the duchy, took it in a war, and then usurped the title. Much faster, though more dangerous.

This game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

fivre posted:

Is there any reason not to white peace with revolt leaders? Press demands seems like it just gives you a bit of extra prestige, but you still imprison the leader with white peace.
Not since they changed the prestige awards from 100/50 to 20/10, and really not even before that. Although beating on the loving rebels until they have to surrender utterly is more cathartic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rvm
May 6, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Look up the charID of the person you want to become patriarch, and then use:"give_title k_ecumenical_patriarchate [charID]". You may need to fiddle with the part after "k_" since I cannot remember how to write the space in titles.

To answer my own question, to restore it without console, you need to be an Emperor and control Constantinople.

But I still for some reason can't form holy order despite controlling both Jerusalem and Antioch.

rvm fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 11, 2014

• Locked thread