Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

monstertruckdriver posted:

Regarding cheapness of blu-ray players: is loading speed something that varies by the price of the player? As an example my Prometheus blu-ray takes what feels like a solid couple of minutes to fully load up. Would it be faster if I had shelled out more money for a player? Something else I've always wondered: does the ability to skip previews or go straight to the menu depend on the player, or is that something hard-coded to the disc?

Is your player a very old cheap player, Because that would happen to me on my old Sylvania player. But on my PS3 and my parents cheap Sony player there isn't any overly long load ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I grabbed the last copy of The Holy Mountain from http://www.diabolikdvd.com but they still have El Topo in stock, if anyone is still looking for it. The site is a little :nws:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

morestuff posted:

I want to get a cheap Blu of Die Hard, but the only one listed on Amazon looks like it was produced in 1997. Is this just a weird product image, or are there multiple releases out there?

The box set of the first 4 was only like $16 at Best Buy last week if that interests you. Not sure if it's still on sale though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

sportsgenius86 posted:

The box set of the first 4 was only like $16 at Best Buy last week if that interests you. Not sure if it's still on sale though.

Didn't look like it, but thanks. I'd rather just get the first one for $4, anyway.

monstertruckdriver
Jul 23, 2006
give em another 3% and make em water

Personperson14 posted:

Is your player a very old cheap player, Because that would happen to me on my old Sylvania player. But on my PS3 and my parents cheap Sony player there isn't any overly long load ties.

I don't think it's terribly old, it was a Black Friday sale in 2012 so a few years at most. It's an LG BP220.

Not every movie takes as long as Prometheus and it may be partly a perception thing ("I wanna watch it noooow"), but it makes me wonder sometimes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

monstertruckdriver posted:

I don't think it's terribly old, it was a Black Friday sale in 2012 so a few years at most. It's an LG BP220.

Not every movie takes as long as Prometheus and it may be partly a perception thing ("I wanna watch it noooow"), but it makes me wonder sometimes.

Does your player have an option to disable BD-Live?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Amazon now lists El Topo as being in stock on January 16th, so if you still want a shot before they're gone, now's probably the time.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

caligulamprey posted:

Amazon now lists El Topo as being in stock on January 16th, so if you still want a shot before they're gone, now's probably the time.

Done. Hope this pans out. Thank god I bought Holy Mountain like 2 years ago.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Lady from Shanghai - Jan. 27 (via TCM Vault Collection!)

Blu/DVD combo pack using the new 4K restoration from the camera negative. Extras include a commentary by Eddie Mueller, Robert Osborne intro, and photo galleries.

Looks like it's an exclusive to the TCM store, but only $25 right now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Blu-Ray.com posted their review of the upcoming Robocop remaster.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/RoboCop-Blu-ray/89781/#Review

quote:

Fortunately, in the case of the remastered RoboCop, the right calls seem to have been made, though I doubt the results will satisfy everyone. The TV broadcast segments are still the pre-HD low resolution image that they always have been, because that's how they were shot. The film's grainy texture remains visible. If you are the kind of viewer who objects to grain in your Blu-ray image, you may be disappointed to find that there's even more of it in the remastered RoboCop— but that's because there's so much more picture information. The new scan has picked up a wealth of fine detail in hair, skin textures, backgrounds, the elaborate RoboCop suit designed by Rob Bottin, and virtually every aspect of William Sandell's distinctive production design.

(...)

That same comparison will demonstrate another feature of the remaster, which is a warmer and more saturated color palette. The effect is to bring out fleshtones and heighten the contrast between the messier human world of the streets and the cooler, detached environs of OCP's labs and executive suites. Lacking any definitive reference, I can't say which version is more accurate, but to my eye the remastered disc is more appealing. Blacks and contrast levels are also appropriately set, which is especially important for the critical scenes at the abandoned factory where first Murphy and then later his RoboCop alter ego confront Boddicker and his gang.

Looks like a must buy at $7.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GST8UB8...NC1749JQNRDEAD7

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 9, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

gently caress yes. I'm so glad I pre-ordered, and I cannot wait to watch all of those special features :D

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

The Lady from Shanghai - Jan. 27 (via TCM Vault Collection!)

Blu/DVD combo pack using the new 4K restoration from the camera negative. Extras include a commentary by Eddie Mueller, Robert Osborne intro, and photo galleries.

Looks like it's an exclusive to the TCM store, but only $25 right now.

Too bad it costs $21 to ship to Canada! :( Appreciate the heads up, though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Call Me Charlie posted:

Does your player have an option to disable BD-Live?

This. If BD-LIVE is enabled on your player, it can spend several minutes at startup connecting to the internet and looking for updates, all while helpfully giving you a blank screen rather than telling you what it's doing.

Edit: If you don't have the option to disable it, you can just unplug the network cable. That might be a pain in the rear end though, if you use something like Netflix on your player.

Edit 2: Also, it kind of irks me that my PS3 has no option to permanently disable it. The only two options it gives me are "always connect" and "ask every time." So I have to answer that question every time I play a blu-ray, and God help me if I accidentally hit yes (which the prompt defaults to.) If I accidentally hit yes, it immediately changes the option to "always connect" and I have to go back into the settings and change it back.

...! fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 10, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More upcoming releases...

Chicago (2002, Rob Marshall) - Feb. 11 (Lionsgate)
The Black Stallion (1979, Caroll Ballard) - Mar. 18 (MGM)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923, starring Lon Chaney) - February (Flicker Alley)
The Big Red One (1980, Samuel Fuller) - May 6 (Warner)
Nosferatu (1979, Werner Herzog) - May 20 (Shout!)

Also, two Republic serials are listed as upcoming from Olive Films. They previously stated that none of the serials were forthcoming due to most being in the public domain. This should bode well for the copyrighted serials like The Adventures of Captain Marvel and Spy Smasher.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 10, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, was there a reason why Aliens was so grainy in comparison to Alien? Come to think of it, it seems that there were a lot of 80's movies that were grainier than 70's films, was there some big change in film stock at the time?

edit: VVV any more details?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 11, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, was there a reason why Aliens was so grainy in comparison to Alien? Come to think of it, it seems that there were a lot of 80's movies that were grainier than 70's films, was there some big change in film stock at the time?

I'm pretty sure that this is exactly the reason.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Steve Yun posted:

The short version.

James Cameron posted:

Because it was shot on a high-speed negative that was a new negative that didn't pan out too well and got replaced the following year. So it's pretty grainy.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Call Me Charlie posted:

The short version.

So is that the equivalent of the ISO setting on film/DSLRs? Because that's the trade off they always say, the higher the ISO, the less light you need, but the more grain you'll get.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I'm new to blu-ray and want some discs that have great extra features on them - what's our favourites?

I have Jaws, Alien Quadrilogy & the Universal Monsters - all look great and I'm happy with the special features (although I don't know what Mother mode is on the Alien discs). I picked up Cube for buttons and although I enjoyed the movie the special features were practically nil - I don't want to own any film on blu-ray that has zilch on it in the special features department.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Steve Yun posted:

Aliens used a more sensitive or "fast" film stock, presumably because so much of the film was shot in low light conditions. The "faster" the film, the less exposure to light it needs but the larger the grain pattern.

Also I think I remember reading something about the particular stock used being new or experimental.

Anyway, I really like the effect.

e: very much beaten.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

So is that the equivalent of the ISO setting on film/DSLRs? Because that's the trade off they always say, the higher the ISO, the less light you need, but the more grain you'll get.

Yes

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BisonDollah posted:

I'm new to blu-ray and want some discs that have great extra features on them - what's our favourites?

I have Jaws, Alien Quadrilogy & the Universal Monsters - all look great and I'm happy with the special features (although I don't know what Mother mode is on the Alien discs). I picked up Cube for buttons and although I enjoyed the movie the special features were practically nil - I don't want to own any film on blu-ray that has zilch on it in the special features department.

The Twilight Zone blu rays seem like they might be right up your alley. Things look great and are packed to the loving gills with special features.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Aliens used a more sensitive or "fast" film stock, presumably because so much of the film was shot in low light conditions. The "faster" the film, the less exposure to light it needs but the larger the grain pattern.

Also I think I remember reading something about the particular stock used being new or experimental.

Anyway, I really like the effect.

Also after the new transfer for the blu ray most of the overly grainy issues are mitigated and they didn't DNR the hell out of it either. You could really see this on the dvd release so they did a hell of a job.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ApexAftermath posted:

Also after the new transfer for the blu ray most of the overly grainy issues are mitigated and they didn't DNR the hell out of it either. You could really see this on the dvd release so they did a hell of a job.

No, they actually did DNR the hell out of it, they just did it by hand frame by frame instead of running it through a machine on automatic.

the full quote from James Cameron posted:

I just did a complete remaster of Aliens personally with the same colorist I worked with on Avatar. It’s spectacular. We went in and completely de-noised it, de-grained it, up-rezzed, color-corrected it, end-to-end, every frame, and it looks amazing. It looks better that it looked in the theaters originally. Because it was shot on a high-speed negative, that was a new negative that didn’t pan out too well and got replaced the following year. So it’s pretty grainy. We got rid of all the grain. It’s sharper and clearer and more beautiful than it’s ever looked. And we did that to the long version, to the director’s cut, the extended play.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Penismightier was recently repping the Aliens Blu in the General Chat thread and it got me to buy it. It's one of the most gorgeous transfers I've ever seen. It makes watching it seem like a whole new experience. I was kind of skeptical because Aliens seems like the kind of movie built to be grainy-as-gently caress or VHS-quality, but it blew me away.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought it as well and loved it, but I was just curious. A lot of 80's movies just look so grainy. There's also Ghostbusters, Predator and Robocop, all grainy as hell (still beautiful) and I was wondering why.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BisonDollah posted:

Going by your spelling of favorite, I'm assuming you're not in region 1. Are you British?

- If you're British, I can only talk about a few titles, since I own a few UK Blu-Rays. Downfall is a nice release with a few extras, but not what I'd call 'great'. Payback is a personal favorite, just because, but it's a really nice UK release, and is vastly superior to the US Blu-Ray, as it contains the theatrical cut and the director's cut. Finally, the Back to the Future trilogy is very well done, and comes in a standard Blu-Ray case, which I prefer to less durable cardboard cases and sleeves offered in the US. Plus, the price is nice.

- If you're in the U.S.:

If you want quality and extras, then http://www.criterion.com is your best bet. Wait for sales to buy them at Best Buy, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble - they happen all the time.

My go-to site that lists each release's extras, along with screenshots, reviews, etc. is http://blubeaver.ca/. See if some of your favorite films have enough goodies crammed in.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Red posted:

If you want quality and extras, then http://www.criterion.com is your best bet. Wait for sales to buy them at Best Buy, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble - they happen all the time.

To add to this, Criterion is probably going to have their own 50% off sale next month or March so definitely hold off if you can. I personally hold off because Criterion does their 50% off thing like Amazon and B&N but they don't charge me California's outrageous sales tax (9.5%).

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

With Criterion releases I usually have more fun with the special features than the movie.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've been debating with myself whether or not to crack open this sealed copy of El Topo, or let it sit and inflate in value over the next year or so and you know what?

gently caress it. Movies are meant to be watched.

(oh God, this is how I spend my Fridays)

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Edgar Wright's movies all have jam-packed blurays, and are especially nice if you like commentaries. Blade Runner has really in-depth docs about both the film and the restoration for the Final Cut. And if you dig The Frighteners there is a huge making-of doc on it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

I've been debating with myself whether or not to crack open this sealed copy of El Topo, or let it sit and inflate in value over the next year or so and you know what?

gently caress it. Movies are meant to be watched.

(oh God, this is how I spend my Fridays)

If you really feel like selling it for an over inflated price later you can still open it because someone will almost certainly pay you way more than you paid for it.

edit: Speaking of out of print, did they put Life of Brian OOP?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 11, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Upstream Color - $11.98

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BC75H5S?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00BC75H5S&adid=0XVMN1EZETWPDAA0F341

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Hibernator posted:

Edgar Wright's movies all have jam-packed blurays, and are especially nice if you like commentaries. Blade Runner has really in-depth docs about both the film and the restoration for the Final Cut. And if you dig The Frighteners there is a huge making-of doc on it.

Any Ridley Scott commentary is great if you want a dry, technical viewpoint. If you want a more fun and party side of things then go for early Peter Jackson or any John Carpenter/Kurt Russell commentary.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Pixar movies are also good buys. They have a lot of extra features, and they look amazing. Like Ratatouille, it looks brilliant and has a ton of cool things that go into how they made the film and the challenges they faced. And then there's the little feature on rats and how they are our friends that's really funny.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Which is the Pixar movie with the sound design vignette, Wall-E? That one's a must-have. Wall-E also looks particularly spectacular on blu-ray.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm assuming it's Wall-E since that's the one where they hired Ben Burtt and it's clearly the one where they emphasized sound the most.

At SDCC I got to see the Pixar panel where he came out with a sound board and did some demonstrations of making sound effects

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So that new Predator "3D" blu is apparently just the same transfer as before but slightly darkened. They'll never get it right it sounds like. Jumped on that cheap Robocop and added the new Terminator release (can throw away my old copy now).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Was there ever an ideal Predator release? Or is it a choice between sandpaper vs wax dummies

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm assuming it's Wall-E since that's the one where they hired Ben Burtt and it's clearly the one where they emphasized sound the most.

At SDCC I got to see the Pixar panel where he came out with a sound board and did some demonstrations of making sound effects

Yep, I was watching the Wall-E extras the other night and the sound design feature was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

For Blu-Rays with a large number of special features, I'd look into the releases that had a large amount of special features on DVD too. Stuff like The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Blade Runner.

• Locked thread