Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

Pretty good, Wiley!

Heavenly Nostrils

:lol: at Phoebe, completely uninterested in the "therapy" and totally immersed in her vidya game. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 1/11/2003

Cats do that not just with dance. Pretty much any time they can get in your way to get your attention, they will.

Zits

Hey, whatever, better than Rainbow Dash I guess. :v:

Kevin & Kell

That's just stupid. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes

I believe this is the only time Susie got a strip to herself.
No, I remember that there were two or three other strips that only featured Susie.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

These Runaway Comix are never coming back.

Pooch Café

The last week's weather was absolutely brutal. My tongue froze to a metal knife indoors.

Ballard Street

I used to do this when I was a kid. A friend and I would just stand somewhere doing nothing suspicious at all, and bolt whenever we saw an adult. It was a game to see who would chase us under no other provocation than the fact that we ran.

A lot of dogs, as it turned out.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mechahamster posted:

Right, the Comic Strip Megathread certainly is the last thread I expected massive Breaking Bad spoilers :(

I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said anything. I only just started watching Breaking Bad. Oh well.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who cares about Breaking Bad, it's not a comic, :v::iamafag:

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

EasyEW posted:

Popeye

It's a little less hard to talk about divided loyalties with Swee'pea over the other characters, who don't usually have any loyalties. That said, he turned really quickly, didn't he.

I have a weird hope that this storyline will resolve with the pirate finding out that Swee'pea is adopted and vanishing.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Basically what Steam sales do to me.

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Breaking Bad is one of the best TV shows of the past few years, but sadly not everyone got to experience it at the same time it aired in the USA. As someone who was late to The Wire, I have sympathy for those who find spoilers in unconventional places; I still remember how I felt when I learned that Omar and Wallace go into space in the final episode.

Mark Trail
This is really worth viewing at full size.

Apartment 3G

Nope! She's a mess, too.

Juliet Jones

:ohdear:

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Well, this makes even less sense now that I look at it.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Borden posted:

This totally kicks rear end.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

I'm sad this one doesn't have a title after the one about getting gay with his lemonade.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Dr. Dos posted:

I'm sad this one doesn't have a title after the one about getting gay with his lemonade.
I'm sad that he didn't use an improvised sail to outrun the kids this time.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Maybe one of you could help me find an edit, here. It was an old school Dennis the Menace edit, where Dennis was holding his dad's severed head and presenting it to a group of his mom's friends.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is Sluggo supposed to be naturally bald or something? Does he have the same disease as Charlie Brown?

I want to just attribute this to the fact that Gilchrist is a hack and forgot these characters are children, but does anyone know if this is precedented?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

He's drawn with head stubble so I'm going to say no. It's just a typical Gilchrist nonjoke.

Haha, dogs eat garbage! Sluggo wants his hair to grow faster and will never be drawn with longer hair unless a gag calls for it!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

LvK posted:

Maybe one of you could help me find an edit, here. It was an old school Dennis the Menace edit, where Dennis was holding his dad's severed head and presenting it to a group of his mom's friends.

It's not an edit. A newspaper swapped the DtM and "The Far Side" captions for that day - and improved each immensely in the process*:

* According to Gary Larson.

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 13, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Transmodiar posted:

It's not an edit. A newspaper swapped the DtM and "The Far Side" captions for that day - and improved each immensely in the process*:

(img-holyshitbig)

* According to Gary Larson.

Haha, I forgot about that! Thanks, but not what I was looking for. I think it was last thread, it was just a really old Dennis the Menace comic where someone edited Dennis' dad's head into Dennis' hand and changed the caption to say "I have killed him" or something like that.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I think you might mean this one, one of mine from two or three threads ago:

I think the original had him holding some sort of creepy crawly and saying "don't worry, he's dead", something like that.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
That's the one! Thanks!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
TIMG that, Transmodiar!

Also, I think the best part about that edit is that the mom is only slightly disturbed.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

I really like the signature bunny showing up to laugh at the situation like Edward True's onlookers.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Borden posted:

This is the grandest of all things. Look at how he's dancing!!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Borden posted:

That's better than the current Pringles' commercials.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Borden posted:

With those moves, he could join the Archies.

Skippy (August 26-28, 1926)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

So that's what a bore-skin rug looks like.

Oh, it's so wacky! They're both fated to a tragic death.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 12, 2014

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Gods those two are creepy.

Kammat fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 12, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

That top one was already posted.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (August 26-28, 1926)

Holy poo poo, that's a good joke.

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a good joke.

I don't think I get it. Is the joke that he eats food which is coloured the same as whatever glass he needs to blow or am I missing some finer point?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- ÖÖRP
- 5.8 seconds
- It was nice to drink after so long / It was nice to time a long beer

Oh boy, this was clever. I'll first list what that phrase is literally: Oli mukava "it was nice", ottaa "to take", pitkästä "from/of [a] long", aikaa "time". "It was nice" works perfectly as a literal translation, so nothing to dissect there. Anyway, what Jarla did here was combine two different phrases.

Pitkästä aikaa, literally "since/from a long time", has only one equivalent English phrase that I can think of: "long time no see" which unlike the Finnish phrase only works as a greeting. I guess it could work also as something like "it's been so long since we last X" but that's pretty wordy. Ottaa, "to take", has some situational uses, but here it clearly means "to drink (alcohol)".

Ottaa aikaa, literally "to take time", means to time/clock, especially in a speed competition. Of what requires a word in elative case (-sta) and here it's pitkästä, "from a long". Pitkä on its own, "a long", in this context refers to a 0.5 liter beer as opposed to a beer served in a "shorter" glass which would be... something like 0.33-0.4 liters. Using long/short for the beer size distinction is a bit of an older tradition and nowadays the younger generations tend to use iso/pieni, big/small. Maybe because the glasses are the same.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 12, 2014

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

EasyEW posted:

:colbert:

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
Charles Addams

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Clockroach posted:

Charles Addams

I got an actual chill down my spine when I saw it.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

catlord posted:

That top one was already posted.

Whoops! Here's the right one.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Martians

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

I love you.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Modifica di modifica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh man, color me unobservant.

• Locked thread