Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DeathChicken posted:

The Megapowers thing also led to the best, most hate filled promo ever from Savage right before Mania 5. He sounded sincerely hurt enough to turn it around and want to murder Hogan dead.

YOU'RE A LLLLLIAR, HULK HOGAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrlSz-Xxo50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
It's been awhile since I've seen it but man, by the last thirty seconds of it I was just waiting for a blood vessel to burst or an eye to pop out of his head.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

DeathChicken posted:

The Megapowers thing also led to the best, most hate filled promo ever from Savage right before Mania 5. He sounded sincerely hurt enough to turn it around and want to murder Hogan dead.

All of Savage's promos leading up to that match are great. This one is my favorite, and I was pretty thrilled when they put it in WWE 2k14. He sounds absolutely deranged, like some kind of wrestling Macbeth ranting to an empty room about how he doesn't need anyone.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VogeGandire posted:

I have one that annoys the hell out of me only after OSWReview pointed it out: Guys in a blood feud starting a match with a tie-up.

NO, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO HATE EACH OTHER, PUNCH EACH OTHER'S FACES
I really don't mind this, unless it's totally out-of-character. UFC fighters who have genuine heat still feel each other out at the beginning of the first round.

Solomonic posted:

He sounds absolutely deranged, like some kind of wrestling Macbeth ranting to an empty room about how he doesn't need anyone.
Art thou bored?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 10, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DeathChicken posted:

Knowing what we know about Savage it was not an act.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There's also his great promo from Tuesday in Texas where he's so beside himself that Jake Roberts attacked Liz and he couldn't help her due to Cobra Attacks that he spends most of it incoherently screaming and talking about how at least one of he and Roberts needs to die.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Rarity posted:

How has nobody mentioned this for worst cliché yet: IT'S A TAG MATCH, PLAYA!

I hate how every WWE promo contains at least one (and usually multiple) "You see"s. Somebody mentioned it in a shoot a couple years back & I haven't been able to stop noticing it yet.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

oldskool posted:

I hate how every WWE promo contains at least one (and usually multiple) "You see"s. Somebody mentioned it in a shoot a couple years back & I haven't been able to stop noticing it yet.

I sometimes note it in GDTs.

You will get at least one "You see-" on every Raw. It just sounds so unnatural, because it's used in a "Well, here's my gripe!" manner. It would work well as a simple catchphrase for a heel who enjoyed mocking people sarcastically.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
A lot of WWE promos have the problem of feeling very scripted. Some guys don't have their own voice, they're clearly just reciting words that were given to them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's the problem of having the same lovely writers scripting everything. A good writer knows how to give his characters different voices, but the writers for WWE are either crappy enough or don't care enough that everyone just winds up sounding the same.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Endorph posted:

It's the problem of having the same lovely writers scripting everything. A good writer knows how to give his characters different voices, but the writers for WWE are either crappy enough or don't care enough that everyone just winds up sounding the same.

And that's not surprising.

Even most entertaining dramas have a central character with a unique/distinct personality, and the surrounding cast is all pretty similar, personality-wise.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Does Paul Heyman have a script typed out or do they give him the general outline and trust he can get there?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Does Paul Heyman have a script typed out or do they give him the general outline and trust he can get there?

Pretty sure even Paul, Punk and Cena have scripts, Vince and co just don't mind that much if they deviate. There was that leaked script from around Rumble, that had Punk's promo fully scripted, but the actual one he did on that show was nothing like what was written.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Punk clearly goes off and starts rambling, he's been responsible for getting matches bumped because he wouldn't get to the drat point.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Supreme Allah posted:

Punk clearly goes off and starts rambling, he's been responsible for getting matches bumped because he wouldn't get to the drat point.

That's a bit unprofessional.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Davros1 posted:

That's a bit unprofessional.

CM Punk: A bit unprofessional

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Savage's best promo was while portraying Leonard Ghostal, and I will not hear otherwise.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

really? do you have a specific example, because I've never heard of that.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cardboard Box posted:

I'll search when I get home. I remember it because it was someone I actually wanted to see so I was put off.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

best in the world

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

Didn't Ultimate Warrior do the same thing in WCW?

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

He was just trying to save us from another Miz match probably.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Cromulent posted:

1. The heel team is getting heat on the face, and when the ref's back is turned, the heels do a fake-tag in (either ignoring an actual tag, or clapping). Ref doesn't think anything of it. Later, when the face is going for the hot tag, he makes it, but the ref's back is turned. The ref immediately sends the face back to the corner because he didn't see the tag. This used to be so common and I know it was supposed to make me mad as a heel spot, but it'd always be within 2-3 minutes of the ref ignoring it for the heels, it was just so inconsistent.

All refs are heels.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

There's also his great promo from Tuesday in Texas where he's so beside himself that Jake Roberts attacked Liz and he couldn't help her due to Cobra Attacks that he spends most of it incoherently screaming and talking about how at least one of he and Roberts needs to die.

The best Savage promo is the one he cuts on Crush after Savage had Yoko all but beat for the WWE title on RAW, only for Crush to cost Randy the match. Hot fire.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

laz0rbeak posted:

It's pretty common for the ring crew to come down between matches and fix things up/rig up any pyro at ringside, so I imagine it wouldn't be heard to have a wrestler come out with blacks on over his ring gear and then just go under the ring while the announcers are talking up the next show or during the kiss cam or whatever.

What about big, hard to disguise guys like the Wyatts who are large and bearded? I can't imagine them subtly sneaking under the ring. I don't know anything about venue construction - are trap doors common or what? I can easily imagine a relatively normal looking guy sneaking in with the crew, but giant beardmen seem to make that impossible.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

With Okada, Tanahashi and others doing really well right now, I was wondering where's KENTA? Did he retire or something?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TV Zombie posted:

With Okada, Tanahashi and others doing really well right now, I was wondering where's KENTA? Did he retire or something?

He was the GHC Heavyweight Champion up until last week. For a while he's only been working NOAH/self imposed isolation, but he's said he's lifting that so there is a shot he might be other places this year.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cardboard Box posted:

I didn't forget about this, I'm still looking but any combination of words after 'CM punk promo' bring up pages of talk about his famous promos. I tried 'punk promo bumps match', 'punk promo long', and a bunch of crap. I'll pick it up later because I know it came up in a GDT when it happened.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AlmightyPants posted:

What about big, hard to disguise guys like the Wyatts who are large and bearded? I can't imagine them subtly sneaking under the ring. I don't know anything about venue construction - are trap doors common or what? I can easily imagine a relatively normal looking guy sneaking in with the crew, but giant beardmen seem to make that impossible.

Combine no light on the ring with bright spotlights on the ramp or entrance where someone is cutting a promo and I guarantee almost no one in the audience will give a poo poo about what's going on in the middle of the arena. Also, lots of the WWE road crew are also enormous bearded men if my experience with theatre and concert road crew is anything to go by.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

at the Seattle Raw, the Wyatts disappeared after their segment. They reemerged after Raw went off the air about an hour and half later. They rolled out from under the ring and booked it to the back.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Edit: wrong thread

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 11, 2014

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

JusticeBot posted:

Seth: WATCH OUT WATCH OUT WATCH OUT

Can you phrase that in the form of a question?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

I didn't forget about this, I'm still looking but any combination of words after 'CM punk promo' bring up pages of talk about his famous promos. I tried 'punk promo bumps match', 'punk promo long', and a bunch of crap. I'll pick it up later because I know it came up in a GDT when it happened.

don't worry about it, if you swear it happened I'll take your word for it, it just sounds like a weird thing considering how strictly WWE times out its shows

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

I think it's unfair to blame the writers when they're deliberately neutered by the management.

I mean, they're basically not even allowed to talk to the performers. No other scripted television program works that way- you want the cast meeting with the writers so they can talk out their characters and get ideas how to write them better. The WWE writers are scripting in a vacuum.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm pretty sure that when Heyman came out pre-Summerslam '13 to introduce Lesnar for the first time, he and Punk got so grandiloquent that a match was cut. It might have been just a shortened match, but I can't recall exactly. They definitely went over time, though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think it's unfair to blame the writers when they're deliberately neutered by the management.

I mean, they're basically not even allowed to talk to the performers. No other scripted television program works that way- you want the cast meeting with the writers so they can talk out their characters and get ideas how to write them better. The WWE writers are scripting in a vacuum.

Plenty of TV writers work this way. The head writers/showrunners talk to the talent, the rest of the room doesn't unless there's a specific meeting about it, usually because they're filming somewhere else and TV writers rarely go on set. In film, the writer usually never meets the talent at all during production. You don't have to meet wrestlers to write really good stories for them, you just have to watch them and be a good writer.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

Plenty of TV writers work this way. The head writers/showrunners talk to the talent, the rest of the room doesn't unless there's a specific meeting about it, usually because they're filming somewhere else and TV writers rarely go on set. In film, the writer usually never meets the talent at all during production. You don't have to meet wrestlers to write really good stories for them, you just have to watch them and be a good writer.

Film is different- screenwriters are used to writing a script and, years later, maybe seeing something that resembles vaguely what they wrote.

However, on TV, cast meetings are not uncommon and those are opportunities to discuss a character and their direction. One example coming to mind is Elisha Cuthbert on Happy Endings- she actually came up with the idea to make Alex kinda dumb (apparently her inspiration was Betty White on Golden Girls.) The writers ran with that and that helped give her character more direction.

(Leverage did a funny parody of this with an online video where Beth Riesgraf, playing herself as a demanding diva, went to a character meeting and demanded her character Parker become half-shark.)

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Supreme Allah posted:

It was the Raw after Money in the Bank. The reason we got the half-hour RVD/Jericho match in the middle of the show is because another match got knocked off due to a Punk promo.

In hindsight, that was a good thing, because the match was pretty great and it was Jericho's last match before his departure anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

at the Seattle Raw, the Wyatts disappeared after their segment. They reemerged after Raw went off the air about an hour and half later. They rolled out from under the ring and booked it to the back.

Hopefully the guy who keeps leaving kendo sticks under the ring also left a few iPods or 3DSes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Hopefully the guy who keeps leaving kendo sticks under the ring also left a few iPods or 3DSes or something.

Hornswoggle lives under there (if he's still a thing, it's been a while) so I assume there's a nice home theater set up, little kitchen area, etc.