Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Emalde posted:

Better than the old 'Pokemon Megathread: constant no-content fanart' posts

Doot doot doot, no-content fanart post comin' through!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Wanna join in with InternetKraken and say that Wide Guard on Aegislash is super great. This is me attempting VGC and how Wide Guard saved my arse, this replay will at least show you Wide Guard is a fantastic move to use against the big threats (Charizard Y in this case): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-76539876

EDIT: Also I found a goddamn pain of a team used by a good player. The team itself had; Politoed, Meowstic, Wobbuffet, and Mega Aggron. I am also a very lucky so and so: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-76549529

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 11, 2014

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

This would look a thousand times better with the Mega version just for the hair

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

Unbound posted:

I have the same issue, except then I look at my hours in other games and stop feeling so bad about my Pokemon Game Time.

I had a buddy bread out a 5IV Totidile with Dragon Dance, Crunch, and Ice Punch on it. I looked at Smogon and it said Feraligatr is pretty useless, which is upsetting because I love that guy. Is there much I can do with it, or is it stuck being a pokemon I like and don't use?

SHeer Force Feraligatr is pretty good and I think you can use an ability capsule on him now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

SHeer Force Feraligatr is pretty good and I think you can use an ability capsule on him now.

Ability capsules can't switch a non-hidden ability to a hidden ability or vice versa, it can only switch between the two regular ability slots, so Sheer Force Feraligatr is still unobtainable.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Diet Poison posted:

You simulator folk are playing the game wrong. The point of Pokemon is to groan and bitch for hours straight trying to breed a good Vaporeon-Eevee. I thought I was just about there, with a Lucario as father, til I noticed what I really wanted was one with Wish. Which meant getting a good enough Togetic to breed with a good enough Pikachu I had to catch, breed up a few Pichus with Wish til I got a good one, and piss around with one til it evolved into a Pikachu. I'm a couple hours in to the final stage, now. Got a 4-IV one but if I'm not gonna be investing in SpA, I want a drat 31 in it so it can hit hard when it needs to. Bah. And to think some of you only have to check a box or whatever.

Not that I'm REALLY bitter. I actually enjoy breeding, but would never have bothered for a 5IV one before. I used to be happy with 2IV. Can't imagine doing this before Friend Safari, Soothe Bell, and Destiny Knot.

Um... I know this doesn't help you now, but in the future... Smeargle man. Anything in the field egg group (like Eevee): always Smeargle.

You can catch Illumise on the same route as the Daycare, and they should already know Wish. Breed up a 5 IV Smeargle if you want to speed things along, take it to the 1 star restaurant with the Illumise, Sketch that poo poo, and get breeding.

Then when you have another breeding project in the Field Group, take your Smeargle to the Move Deleter/Relearner and do it again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So, does anyone have a FS with Squirtle/Wartortle/whatever or a female squirtle/etc. I can trade for? I've got a male with Dragon Pulse and Aura Sphere and no female to breed to.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Silver Falcon posted:

Um... I know this doesn't help you now, but in the future... Smeargle man. Anything in the field egg group (like Eevee): always Smeargle.

You can catch Illumise on the same route as the Daycare, and they should already know Wish. Breed up a 5 IV Smeargle if you want to speed things along, take it to the 1 star restaurant with the Illumise, Sketch that poo poo, and get breeding.

Then when you have another breeding project in the Field Group, take your Smeargle to the Move Deleter/Relearner and do it again.

For real? Woulda been nice if Bulbapedia gave any fuckin' indication that Smeargle could pass poo poo along like that. I don't fully know the mechanics behind egg moves so if it ain't on their nice little list, it doesn't occur to me. I assume it's as simple as "if it's in the right egg group and can learn move X, it can pass it to any offspring that has the ability to learn move X as an egg move" then?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So, does anyone have a FS with Squirtle/Wartortle/whatever or a female squirtle/etc. I can trade for? I've got a male with Dragon Pulse and Aura Sphere and no female to breed to.

I've got the FS. Code is 2621-2782-4383. IGN is Camille.

EDIT: I'm heading to bed, if you haven't got one by tomorrow post your FC and I'll add you.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 11, 2014

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Diet Poison posted:

Woulda been nice if Bulbapedia gave any fuckin' indication that Smeargle could pass poo poo along like that.

It does mention it!

On Smeargle's page.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I don't fully get IVs other than they're a random boost to each of their stats from 0-31 - How do you check the IVs of your pokemon anyway? I Googled it and it says that a Stat Judge will tell you your two best IVs, but how do you know if you have 3, 4, or 5 perfect IVs if he only tells you two? And is it possible to check IVs before beating the game/becoming the champion?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wolpertinger posted:

I don't fully get IVs other than they're a random boost to each of their stats from 0-31 - How do you check the IVs of your pokemon anyway? I Googled it and it says that a Stat Judge will tell you your two best IVs, but how do you know if you have 3, 4, or 5 perfect IVs if he only tells you two? And is it possible to check IVs before beating the game/becoming the champion?

Stat Judge tells you the highest IVs. So if you have multiple 31 IVs he will tell you all of them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wolpertinger posted:

He'll actually tell you every IV that's the highest value for that Pokemon. If you bring him a Pokemon and its highest IV is a 30 in Attack, he'll report that. BUT, he'll also tell you about any other stats that have 30s for IVs. He'll also tell you about IVs if they have 0 IVs in a stat as a bonus. You can't check this stuff before you become the champion though, because he's in the city you get access to AFTER you beat the Pokemon League.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wolpertinger posted:

Another method is to use an online calculator. They're not accurate with level 1 pokemon, but if you raise them a few levels without gaining any EVs (or while keeping strict track of EVs you do gain) then input their stats into a calculator, their IVs can be derived. You can do this a few ways, the easiest being entering a battle with another real person, since most rules for those will auto level your pokemon for the fight, then recording their stats while in the battle. You could also build up a supply of rare candies, use those to pump up a pokemon's level, then reset once you've determined its IVs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Does anyone wanna hook me up with a Contrary Snivy? I love Snivy :3:

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Emalde posted:

Better than the old 'Pokemon Megathread: constant no-content fanart' posts

The art itself is content, where is your whimsy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blhue posted:

Another method is to use an online calculator. They're not accurate with level 1 pokemon, but if you raise them a few levels without gaining any EVs

Go to the battle institute. It instantly levels every entry to level 50. Congrats I saved you hours and hours of time.

EDIT: So since I missed my last benefactor does anyone else have a female Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise or a FS with them in it?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Does anyone wanna hook me up with a Contrary Snivy? I love Snivy :3:

Contrary Snivy has not been released yet.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I am Reverend posted:

How do y'all feel about narrated replays? I've been doing them every now and then and try to actually explain what I'm doing and not just mumble "um, so, yeah" like 99% of the narrated battles I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWpdzsCPbHE&t=39s
Thanks for this video! I love Bisharp and wanted to learn how to use him, and I never once considered the Defiant + Sucker Punch potential. That's awesome. I'll definitely check out some more of your videos, as I aspire to learn more about competitive battling, but I lack experience and knowledge and it's nice to get in the head of someone who knows what they're doing. The humor helps too, the Spikes bit was great.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Poor pawniard, always destined to be friendless.

Here's a doubles battle that is over in 3 turns.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-76608831

Maximum content-less-ness post achieved.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I was considering using Bisharp but with the knockoff buffs you'd be crazy not to use that on him. However, that is yet another tutor exclusive move, so if I want to breed a proper one I have to wait for the next version.

People complain about NINTENDO HOLDING MY FRIENDS HOSTAGE :byodood: but this tutor poo poo annoys me way more.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
e: nm

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well obviously it's so we are all forced to buy pokemon Z with the move tutor.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So what's the deal with the Pokémon Bank, it's still not up on the e-shop.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

mastajake posted:

I mean, I understand that now the overall quality of mons is better since it's easier to make ones with perfect or near perfect spreads, but it just seems weird considering the feel you used to get from that thread.

We can't create/clone pokemon from 6th Gen, so everything has significantly higher value until bank opens up and we can make pulls from Gen1-5.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

The Taint Reaper posted:

Presumably the deal is Nintendo is upgrading their poo poo so it doesn't explode when every nerd in north America tries to use it simultaneously when they release it.

Edit: gently caress yes, it took over a goddamn week, but shiny mawile. 5IV too, though it got useless SP. A from its dad instead of Def.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 11, 2014

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Ignite Memories posted:

Well obviously it's so we are all forced to buy pokemon Z with the move tutor.

Realistically, almost every person in this thread would buy Pokemon Z anyway.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

General Maximus posted:

Realistically, almost every person in this thread would buy Pokemon Z anyway.

Or really most games with "Pokemon" in the title.

BattleCake posted:

One of these days that guy is going to die, and it'll be due to my insatiable thirst for xp.

I feel like such a terrible person every time I go there, but then I see the Audino...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You go to Restaurant Le Wow for the money, not the experience. It's like beating a sick old man up and stealing his money. Twice.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Go to the battle institute. It instantly levels every entry to level 50. Congrats I saved you hours and hours of time.

EDIT: So since I missed my last benefactor does anyone else have a female Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise or a FS with them in it?

What's your FC? Or have you added me already?

Mine is 2621-2782-4383. IGN is Camille.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/421680342257643520

Please enjoy this lip service.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah, it exploded so badly it took the entire e-shop down with it.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
So I have been having pretty decent luck with this team on Showdown. Hoping someone could give me any more advice before I start working on all these guys in game.
code:
Green (Espeon) @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Baton Pass
- Psychic
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Ultra Gross (Metagross) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit

Trogdor (Dragonite) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 232 Atk / 252 SDef / 20 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Balla Bills (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Caged Rage (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall
- Dragon Tail

Try Hard (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Ice Fang
Depending on the circumstance, I like leading with Sableye the most. He can stop most Baton Pass users in there tracks with Taunt, generally forcing a switch-out into my WoW on turn 2. Espeon is my other dedicated lead giving much needed Screen Support for Sableye, which the rest of my team enjoys as well. Magic Bounce is also nice as it seems people don't bother noticing that I have an Espeon already out. Metagross is a Special Wall/Revenge killer. I have watched this guy eat so many Fire Blast, especially with screen support. Pursuit has secured quite a few kills, with Zen Headbutt right behind it. Dragonite is the basic WeakNite Set from Smogon, most of the time he dies, but he holds his own in a large number of situations. Gyarados is my Primary Sweeper, and I love this guy. With one Dragon Dance he searches through their guys with Dragon Tail until he gets something he can kill with Waterfall or Ice Fang. Gliscor was there because I have never used him prior, ever. Sub + Protect is an amazing stall tatic, I've even used it to PP Stall, as boring as that is. EQ is there for STAB and Ice Fang is to deal with most things that are immune to EQ.

If I were to want to cut anyone, it would be Dragonite because I feel like he just can't keep up with the others.

"...you know, it's the specifics I appreciate about this..."

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Okay, I need some serious VCG critique.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-76696621
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-76697603
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-76698462

Is my team awful, or am I just very bad at using it? Maybe both?

e: other than me volt switching on a ground pokemon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Agent Rush posted:

What's your FC? Or have you added me already?

Mine is 2621-2782-4383. IGN is Camille.

FC: 0989-2944-5596
IGN is Clue.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Militree posted:

Okay, I need some serious VCG critique.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-76696621
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-76697603
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-76698462

Is my team awful, or am I just very bad at using it? Maybe both?

e: other than me volt switching on a ground pokemon.

Why Surf over Hydro Pump? It seems like a lot of the time you're hitting yourself without much to gain from it. Also, I didn't see a lot of ways of dealing with grass types in those battles.

FC: 0989-2944-5596
IGN is Clue.

I've added you, I'll be on and off most of today.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I am starting to seriously buy into the concept of weakness policy drifblim as a baton passer.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76717709

I do think 4 batonmen might be too many, and it tends to put a lot of strain on goofus and penn. both gallant and strindberg can sweep given enough stalling, but maybe I should switch out one of the passers for a dedicated special sweeper like I was using my nidoking for earlier.

edit: which is more awesome on a BP drifblim: substitute to pass more safely, or destiny bond to revenge kill a big tanky pokemon once i've passed and his hp is low?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 11, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Surely if I use as many stupid gimmicks as possible I'll win!"

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-76720846

I actually didn't think he would be perish trapping because no way would anyone load their team down with that many terrible gimmicks.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Ignite Memories posted:

I am starting to seriously buy into the concept of weakness policy drifblim as a baton passer.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76717709

I do think 4 batonmen might be too many, and it tends to put a lot of strain on goofus and penn. both gallant and strindberg can sweep given enough stalling, but maybe I should switch out one of the passers for a dedicated special sweeper like I was using my nidoking for earlier.

edit: which is more awesome on a BP drifblim: substitute to pass more safely, or destiny bond to revenge kill a big tanky pokemon once i've passed and his hp is low?

Substitute would probably be more generally useful, though it depends on what you see more of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

It's never going to be released is it?

• Locked thread