Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

EC posted:

I got a new receiver and now I don't have that annoying pause when going from XBMC sounds to movie/TV show sounds. I don't know what black magic this is, but I love it. :D

What did you end up buying? I'm looking to replace my Onkyo pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Gunslinger posted:

What did you end up buying? I'm looking to replace my Onkyo pretty soon.

The Yamaha that was on super duper sale on Amazon during Black Friday (RX-V673). I probably should have gone for the 773 (dual HDMI output, "party mode" that allows audio inputs to be sent to both zone 1 and zone 2, etc), but I like it. It's $400 right now, but I think I paid like $250-300. Built in AirPlay (music only), Pandora, even DLNA (which is slow and ugly as hell, but still, it's there). It seems much quicker to switch inputs than my Onkyo, and doesn't make loud clicking noises when switching audio modes, either. I was really looking for something with 7-8 HDMI inputs, but just eventually dropped it and will buy a switch when I eventually get another HDMI device.

I've only used it for a day, but overall I'm impressed.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Le0 posted:

Auto updating? There is no such thing or is it? Only way for my library to be auto updated is when the download is finished it is updated by SickBeard.
If the box is offline when that happens no update occurs for me.

Neither the auto update nor SickBeard updates (nor the update library on launch) are working for me.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Twiin posted:

Neither the auto update nor SickBeard updates (nor the update library on launch) are working for me.

How is new content getting on your device? Could it be that auto update works but you aren't receiving new shows? If just SickBeard could it be that there's something wrong with it's configuration? I don't use SickBeard myself so I don't know it's operation.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

redhalo posted:

How is new content getting on your device? Could it be that auto update works but you aren't receiving new shows? If just SickBeard could it be that there's something wrong with it's configuration? I don't use SickBeard myself so I don't know it's operation.

Sickbeard and Couchpotato are downloading new material, and neither are being updated in XBMC.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Twiin posted:

Sickbeard and Couchpotato are downloading new material, and neither are being updated in XBMC.

Have you looked into the webservice? Maybe the port or password changed, or the address of the box, so SB/CP can't see it anymore.

XBMC still updates manually, right?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've been using XBMC for a very, very long time and I'm currently on 12.0 but I'd like to upgrade to 12.3.

I've always installed Ubuntu and then XBMC "manually" but I'm wondering if I should just use XBMCBuntu. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is there any advantage to manually installed Ubuntu + XBMC?

Also, what about OpenElec and the other distros? (I'm even thinking about Plex but I'll probably stick with XBMC)

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

Also, what about OpenElec and the other distros? (I'm even thinking about Plex but I'll probably stick with XBMC)

One reason I love OpenElec is because it will automatically search for, download and install updated versions of OpenElec. It is great because I don't really tinker with my setup - I like having the appliance-like experience.

However, I think OpenElec is only on XBMC 12.2 right now.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

I'll give this addon a try. Last time I tried Watchdog something and it was locking up my box.

Twiin posted:

You can try to see if Sickbeard is correctly configured.
Just start your XBMC box, open sickbeard go to configuration->notifications and under the XBMC part click on the Test XBMC button. This should print a dummy notification on your XBMC box.
If this works Sickbeard should be able to update your shows.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Sickbeard can send test updates just fine to XBMC. XBMC doesn't update the library, however.

EC posted:

XBMC still updates manually, right?

XBMC will not update manually. I cannot get new shows or movies to appear in the XBMC library by any means.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Twiin posted:

Sickbeard can send test updates just fine to XBMC. XBMC doesn't update the library, however.

XBMC will not update manually. I cannot get new shows or movies to appear in the XBMC library by any means.

Is the drive containing the library full? Or do you maybe have the library shared via MySQL and have read-only permissions to the database?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Mthrboard posted:

Is the drive containing the library full? Or do you maybe have the library shared via MySQL and have read-only permissions to the database?

Drive has plenty of space, not using MySQL.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Twiin posted:

Drive has plenty of space, not using MySQL.

Turn debugging on, try to manually update and then post the log to pastebin or wherever for us to look at.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
I recently picked up an Intel NUC (with the Ivy Bridge i3) and I'm currently using the latest stable Intel build of OpenELEC. I'm able to playback 1080p video no problem with VAAPI acceleration enabled, but I can't select "De-Interlace" on any of my TV shows that I ripped from my DVD collection. Under the deinterlace settings, it only has Auto, VAAPI Auto, Bob, and Bob (inverted) as options. Selecting Bob gets me the closest to what I'm looking for, but it makes the picture very shaky, and all of the other options do nothing.

However, if I turn off VAAPI in the options then it gives me the option for "De-Interlace", which is what I want, but without VAAPI enabled I get weird issues with 1080p playback, such as the framerate randomly slowing down. Is there an way to keep VAAPI enabled, and be able to get to a better deinterlacing method than just Bob?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Twiin posted:

I switched to a nightly on my Mac Mini and my context menu changed from "Update Library" to "Scan for changes". From what I can tell, scan for changes does not pickup new shows or movies. I enabled "Update Library On Startup" and that seemed to get it to update when I first start XBMC. Are you in the same boat as me?

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
Is there a way to send links to xbmc on iOS? On android you could do it with by sharing the link or clicking it and selecting to open with yatse.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
In a similar vain, is there ANYTHING like Yatse on iOS, in terms of being able to watch videos from your xbmc share locally on the ipad?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Legdiian posted:

I switched to a nightly on my Mac Mini and my context menu changed from "Update Library" to "Scan for changes". From what I can tell, scan for changes does not pickup new shows or movies. I enabled "Update Library On Startup" and that seemed to get it to update when I first start XBMC. Are you in the same boat as me?

Update Library has been moved into the sidebar menus for XBMC Gotham.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Good news, the XBMC nightly's have support for AML based systems like the Pivos XIOS M1 and M3:

https://plus.google.com/102926840947534443602/posts/j746uZg78rZ

Hopefully this is the start of good support for low cost Android set top boxes that we have been waiting for.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Le0 posted:

I'll give this addon a try. Last time I tried Watchdog something and it was locking up my box.

My XBMC session would always bloat and freeze after about a day. Until they fix the memory leaks on this, I would stay away from this add-on.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Has anyone ran into issues with XBMC stuttering during playback if left sitting idle for a while?

My living room HTPC is also my media/file server so it stays on 24/7 with XBMC also running 24/7... After a few hours of sitting idle, video playback in XBMC will have obvious pauses/stutters in it. Exiting and re-opening XBMC fixes it until it sits idle another few hours. XBMC is the only application affected in this way.. I can minimize XBMC and any other video application will play video fine.

Interestingly this occurs using either the on-board Intel video that doesn't have DXVA or using a PCIEx Nvidia card that does have DXVA.

Looking at CPU usage there are no obvious spikes when this stuttering occurs.

Edit: Guess I should have added that I am running on Windows 7, 64bit.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

^^^^^try using xbmclauncher and have it relaunch xbmc or something? XBMC on my windows machines is always awful with dealing with sleep or long idle times.

Anti_Social posted:

My XBMC session would always bloat and freeze after about a day. Until they fix the memory leaks on this, I would stay away from this add-on.

Don't use watchdog, use the library updater addon. Its worked perfectly fine for me for over a year or so.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

stevewm posted:

Has anyone ran into issues with XBMC stuttering during playback if left sitting idle for a while?

My living room HTPC is also my media/file server so it stays on 24/7 with XBMC also running 24/7... After a few hours of sitting idle, video playback in XBMC will have obvious pauses/stutters in it. Exiting and re-opening XBMC fixes it until it sits idle another few hours. XBMC is the only application affected in this way.. I can minimize XBMC and any other video application will play video fine.

Interestingly this occurs using either the on-board Intel video that doesn't have DXVA or using a PCIEx Nvidia card that does have DXVA.

Mine does this but not after a few hours... usually after a few weeks. It takes a reboot to fix it.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars
About six months ago I made a fateful decision to replace a broken old Geforce card in my Linux NAS/XBMC box with a Radeon 6450. Six months of hell followed. I was never able to reach an equilibrium of settings that resulted in smooth playback in every scenario (1080i/50hz, 1080p/24hz, SD-whatever/24/50/60hz). Something always stuttered, sometimes barely noticeably, sometimes to the point that it was basically unwatchable.

Yesterday I did a fresh install of Ubuntu following the instructions in this post to use the open source Radeon driver instead of fglrx. Everything is fixed. Everything is perfect. Everything plays at exactly the right speed, in sync, with minimal CPU usage. Deinterlacing of 1080i looks vastly better, and is so smooth I turned off frame interpolation on my TV. Flawless passthrough of every audio format to my receiver over HDMI.

If you're using a Radeon card in linux and having issues then the open source driver is your salvation.

NIGARS fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 8, 2014

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

stevewm posted:

I ran into this as well, although I was using a Radeon 7800 series card with Windows 7 x64. It would continue to do this even when I would restart XBMC, so I would have to do a full restart of Windows in order to get it back to normal. I eventually gave up on trying to resolve it and moved to using OpenELEC on an Intel NUC.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I'm running in to an issue with sorting my movies. I've been mixing RiffTrax and various commentary tracks in to some of my movies and I wanted a way to sort them easier. I was going to make a smart playlist to do the job, but then I realized the "audio channels" field wasn't what I wanted. Is there a way I can make a filter to show only movies with >1 audio tracks? Even better if I could filter them the audio track's name. I guess I could do it with tags, but I was hoping for something more automatic.

fattypigfatty
Feb 18, 2007

a walking stereotype of self-indulgence
Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

I had this problem for years on a windows 7 machine I had on 24/7 to also use as a server. I finally just got the cheapest intel nuc and put OpenELEC on it. It seems dumb to say it but it improved my quality of life more than I thought, never having to worry about rebooting that god drat server again or awkwardly exiting and reloading xbmc when everyone just wants to watch a stupid movie. It is a really horrible bug but I don't know if it's xbmc or windows in general. Either way openelec is just so much better.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Crumps Brother posted:

I'm running in to an issue with sorting my movies. I've been mixing RiffTrax and various commentary tracks in to some of my movies and I wanted a way to sort them easier. I was going to make a smart playlist to do the job, but then I realized the "audio channels" field wasn't what I wanted. Is there a way I can make a filter to show only movies with >1 audio tracks? Even better if I could filter them the audio track's name. I guess I could do it with tags, but I was hoping for something more automatic.

I did the same thing. Eventually I put all my Rifftrax movies in another folder than my regular movies. You can make a smart playlist that will show everything in a particular folder (or path). Now it's too bad my current skin (the default) doesn't allow you to make a main screen button for smart playlist. (Others have more game-breaking issues for me, like powering off the computer not working, ugly, etc.)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just picked up a celeron NUC and put openelec on it. It works great but whenever I switch sources on my hdmi switch it shares I lose the overscan settings. A reboot restores it but is there an easy way to bring them back? Look for wife ease here. I may just resort to powering it down when I'm done but who wants that??

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

IUG posted:

I did the same thing. Eventually I put all my Rifftrax movies in another folder than my regular movies. You can make a smart playlist that will show everything in a particular folder (or path). Now it's too bad my current skin (the default) doesn't allow you to make a main screen button for smart playlist. (Others have more game-breaking issues for me, like powering off the computer not working, ugly, etc.)
Rifftrax episodes are actually indexed as a tv show at thetvdb.com. Season 1 is features, Season 2 is Rifftrax Presents, Season 3 is shorts and Season 4 are iRiffs.

I gave up and renamed them in this manner so XBMC would index them (RiffTrax - S01E45 - Spider-man). This is probably less than ideal if you want the file indexed as the original movie and as a Rifftrax episode. Storage is cheap and I am lazy, so I just keep two copies if I actually care about the movie.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I didn't want to put them in as a TV show personally. I did have a skin that would add shortcuts to playlist on the main menu ("Rifftrax", "Movies" playlists), but the power off option didn't work. I should just see if that skin ever updated to fix that, as that was the only major bug for that skin. That, and the uptime was always wildly off, but I didn't really care about that. I'll have to fire up the HTPC after work and see which skin it was and if it updated.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TraderStav posted:

I just picked up a celeron NUC and put openelec on it. It works great but whenever I switch sources on my hdmi switch it shares I lose the overscan settings. A reboot restores it but is there an easy way to bring them back? Look for wife ease here. I may just resort to powering it down when I'm done but who wants that??

Sounds like a bug in your HDMI switch. That shouldn't happen, and indeed does not with a sensible A/V receiver. Don't know if there's any workaround you could try, other video drivers or whatnot.

On the plus side, it boots (and shuts down) so quickly the wife shouldn't have a problem with that either.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Sounds like a bug in your HDMI switch. That shouldn't happen, and indeed does not with a sensible A/V receiver. Don't know if there's any workaround you could try, other video drivers or whatnot.

On the plus side, it boots (and shuts down) so quickly the wife shouldn't have a problem with that either.

Thanks, I figured as such. It's kind of a complex set up since the HDMI port is busted on my DLP. I have a HDMI->Component convertor and then a 3-1 HDMI Monoprice switch before that. So there's lots of crap to get in the way of a proper handshake. Compound the problem with the fact that my DLP only does 720P and it is sure sounding like a new TV is in my future. I had considered getting a new HT receiver that has multiple HDMI inputs but would still be bottlenecked by the HDMI converter issue.

It seems that the overscan is NOT resetting to the correct position on a restart, but my wife apparently didn't even notice... now if there was only a script or something I could run that would reset the values so I don't have to go through the manual process it'd be much better.

I also have noticed (and so did my wife when she sent a panicked text...) that on the first reboot the NUC says that there isn't a bootable device. When you power it off manually it'll then boot into OpenELEC. Interesting behavior.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I've just purchased a 42 inch LG-TV....very happy with it, it looks great and displays 1080p content well. I play video and audio over an hdmi cable connected to my pc. I have a few questions:

1. Currently, audio only plays over my TV if I go into my control panel and make the TV the default device. I have to do this every time. Is there a way to automate this, so that once I turn my tv on my computer switches the audio device from my pc speakers to the TV?

2. Any recommendations on how to mimic the sleep functionality of a TV when streaming content via my PC? I know netflix automatically pauses after a few episodes, but I don't know if there's a way of creating a preset for that.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TraderStav posted:

I have a HDMI->Component convertor and then a 3-1 HDMI Monoprice switch before that.

[Edit: Removed erroneous statement. Nothing to see here.]

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 14, 2014

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Well, many new receivers would be able to take HDMI in and convert it to component out, eliminating the (possibly buggy) converter box.

Whether that would be cheaper than a new TV, I couldn't say. =)

Receivers can't convert HDMI to component.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Legdiian posted:

Receivers can't convert HDMI to component.

Oh, snap, I Googled this now and you're correct. At least, I've found no receiver that can go digital-to-analog on video. Many do the opposite, however, and though some receivers have component outputs, it seems they will only act as pass-though from the component inputs. :(

Editing my previous post to be less misleading.
[E:sp.]

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 14, 2014

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Oh, snap, I Googled this now and you're correct. At least, I've found no receiver that can go digital-do-analog on video. Many do the opposite, however, and though some receivers have component outputs, it seems they will only act as pass-though from the component inputs. :(

Editing my previous post to be less misleading.

No worries. Deep down I wanted you to prove my statement wrong and link me to a receiver that could do that conversion :) I've got quite a few "classic" displays that I could probably find a use for if the HDMI->component conversion process wasn't such a pain in the rear end.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can someone tell me what the deal is with volume controls within XBMC frodo ? While I was out of town my spouse somehow managed to mute the volume in XBMC. So she called me and I searched the xbmc forums for the mute shortcut. It suggested using the + sign. Ok so it's unmuted however now it has a volume. WTF? If I place it at 100 I get digital clipping. I don't want XBMC to have a volume control for the same reason I don't want my bluray player to have a volume control. I want reference standard audio going to my receiver and then the receiver controls the volume...

So in short, How do I make XBMC have no volume/do no gains or attenuation on the source media so that it's "bit perfect" going out the hdmi port ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redhalo
May 19, 2009

XBMC doesn't amplify past your system settings. If you scale your os's master volume to something like 80% you shouldn't get any digital clipping. Aside from that, possibly modify XBMC's keybinds for volume so that they can't be triggered.