Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Technical question, small and annoying:

I've had this MP3 of the Black & White theme for years. I'm reasonably sure I got it from the Lionhead website early in my internet history, back when the game first came out.

The problem is that while Winamp plays it just fine, almost every other program that uses MP3s (external MP3 players, car ones, tag-altering programs, you name it) refuses to deal with it or play it. The question is: why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

MisterBibs posted:

Technical question, small and annoying:

I've had this MP3 of the Black & White theme for years. I'm reasonably sure I got it from the Lionhead website early in my internet history, back when the game first came out.

The problem is that while Winamp plays it just fine, almost every other program that uses MP3s (external MP3 players, car ones, tag-altering programs, you name it) refuses to deal with it or play it. The question is: why?

It plays fine in Foobar2000, which says that the file actually uses the MP2 codec. Most devices probably don't support that.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

For the computer nerds out there, how come I sometimes see things pertaining to 32-bit versions of software labeled "x86" when the 64-bit versions are just labeled "64"? Why not just say 32?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Ezzer posted:

For the computer nerds out there, how come I sometimes see things pertaining to 32-bit versions of software labeled "x86" when the 64-bit versions are just labeled "64"? Why not just say 32?

x86 is the name of the old Intel 16-bit architecture (for the chip, 8086) that was extended to 32-bits. When they extended it to 64-bit they called it x86-64

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
There's was an incident back in the 60s or 70s I wanna say, school shooting type deal in the US. Girl in her late teens or early twenties decides to shoot at some kids with a rifle and when she was done called it "fun" (that was the most distinctive thing I took away from it besides it being a girl shooter). I'll be damned if I can remember any other details and haven't been able to find any articles since

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

There's was an incident back in the 60s or 70s I wanna say, school shooting type deal in the US. Girl in her late teens or early twenties decides to shoot at some kids with a rifle and when she was done called it "fun" (that was the most distinctive thing I took away from it besides it being a girl shooter). I'll be damned if I can remember any other details and haven't been able to find any articles since

Maybe start here.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alan Smithee posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_%28San_Diego%29 the girl was Brenda Spencer

You might remember this song based on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don%27t_Like_Mondays

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

miryei posted:

Does this style of collar have a specific name?

Yeah, it's right on the link. It's an asymmetric collar

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
What are those graphs called which have circles and each circles size is relative the to number it represents? Ie one circle represents 100 and is big and another circle would be 25 and a quarter of the size? It's a tough thing to google for. Thanks.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pympede posted:

What are those graphs called which have circles and each circles size is relative the to number it represents? Ie one circle represents 100 and is big and another circle would be 25 and a quarter of the size? It's a tough thing to google for. Thanks.

Venn diagrams?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

tuyop posted:

Yeah, it's right on the link. It's an asymmetric collar

That's not a particular type, though, that's just a vague descriptor.

It's a variation on a funnel neck. Basically an unbuttoned funnel neck.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pympede posted:

Bubble chart

burd
Aug 19, 2005
How do I put this formula:

396 = (.055x*2.1) + x

in the format of:

x =

Please and thank you!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

burd posted:

396 = (.055x*2.1) + x

in the format of:

x =

Please and thank you!

You have to do the same operation on both sides of the equal sign until it balances out.

Or plug it into wolfram alpha if you are a lazy person.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=396+%3D+%28.055x*2.1%29+%2B+x

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

burd posted:

396 = (.055x*2.1) + x

in the format of:

x =

Please and thank you!

I hope you're not asking me to do your homework... But here's how the basic algebra works.

Any equivalence will remain true as long as you do the same operation to both sides. So you want to get x by itself.

First off, simplify the expression in the parentheses. It's just multiplying by a single number.

Then you can simply add the terms on the right side if the equation together, since they'll both be multiples of x. This is another simplification step.

After that, divide both sides by the number multiplying x.

wolfram alpha will also do this for you

E:f;b

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I went across state lines for a vacation recently and bought something dirt cheap at Walmart while I was there. Used the self-checkout machine, thought it was neat, didn't think much of it. Returned home and realized they'd charged me $23 for something that was $2. I paid using my debit card and I am going to enter a dispute with my bank company, but I no longer have the receipt.

If this doesn't pan out for me (I don't expect it to, without any documental evidence), what other legal recourse do I have? It's insane to me that this can happen.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I use exclusively credit cards (different than debit cards), have disputed a few things over the years, and have never even been questioned by the credit card company - they just give me the money back and move on. I have reason to believe that on the most recent occasion the merchant would have fought it - I don't know if the merchant ended up losing the money, or if Visa just eats it to make both of us happy. Like in your case, it was on the order of $20.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

photomikey posted:

I use exclusively credit cards (different than debit cards), have disputed a few things over the years, and have never even been questioned by the credit card company - they just give me the money back and move on. I have reason to believe that on the most recent occasion the merchant would have fought it - I don't know if the merchant ended up losing the money, or if Visa just eats it to make both of us happy. Like in your case, it was on the order of $20.

Below a certain cost threshold, it would cost more to investigate than just credit you back the money and send a new card. As long as you're not doing it often, they'll just pay back small things without asking.

Generally Visa just eats it if it's small.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Edit: Nevermind

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
If you say something lovely about men or women it's sexist, about certain races it's racist, but what do you call it when you're stereotyping/talking poo poo about a particular country? Like if you say all Chinese people hate Wile E Coyote or every Swede has a tail (deliberately using nonsense to not rile any feathers). Would it just be xenophobic? Why are those types of things not usually as frowned upon by people as racial stereotypes?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ariza posted:

If you say something lovely about men or women it's sexist, about certain races it's racist, but what do you call it when you're stereotyping/talking poo poo about a particular country? Like if you say all Chinese people hate Wile E Coyote or every Swede has a tail (deliberately using nonsense to not rile any feathers). Would it just be xenophobic? Why are those types of things not usually as frowned upon by people as racial stereotypes?

Yeah, that's pretty much the definition of xenophobic.

I can only speculate on why those things aren't looked at the same as racism, but my speculation would be that it is because people interact with different races a lot more than they interact with different nationalities, especially in the US. So "all Swedes have tails" looks relatively harmless when you can go your whole life meeting a half dozen Swedes, while "all black people have tails" is going to have a bigger day to day impact.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

miryei posted:

Does this style of collar have a specific name?

I usually see those necks described as "split cowl". Example here.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

"Jingoism" is another term for what you're looking for

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ezzer posted:

"Jingoism" is another term for what you're looking for

I thought that had more of an aggressive connotation to it. Like active foreign policy that says 'our country is better so who cares if this policy kills a thousand Guatemalans' as opposed to 'French women don't shave' or whatever.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I enabled Google Drive Offline on Thursday, and now in the 'All items' view, I see hundreds of documents I don't recognize. Like random scripts from various users, text books in Telugu and spread sheets in Vietnamese that I can't make any sense of either.

Are these just all public documents in the world or something? Or is something happening here that shouldn't?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the definition of xenophobic.

I can only speculate on why those things aren't looked at the same as racism, but my speculation would be that it is because people interact with different races a lot more than they interact with different nationalities, especially in the US. So "all Swedes have tails" looks relatively harmless when you can go your whole life meeting a half dozen Swedes, while "all black people have tails" is going to have a bigger day to day impact.

Meh, xenophobia is more of a deep-rooted hatred of anything foreign, specifically a fear of that foreign culture integrating itself into your own. I don't think it really applies to a specific prejudice against a nation of people.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

These are the controls of my washing machine.

What does the "wash load" dial actually do? Under what circumstances would it be necessary to select "reset"?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
It lets your washer know how large the load is and therefore how much water to use. You would reset it any time you change the load size.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What poopkitty said. To expand on it, let's say you have a full load of clothes in there but started the cycle with Wash Load set to small (because your last load was small and you wanted to save water). "Oh poo poo", you think. "It'll only fill half way and the clothes are up to the top!" Just move the dial to reset and then large (and you may need to start the cycle again if it turns off when you click to reset).

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How dangerous would it be to microwave a laptop in a lovely second hand microwave we buy cheap and throw away after?

E: and would it look as cool as we think it will?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
My mother told me that you should not drape wet towels over the radiator to dry, otherwise the radiator will not work properly. Is this true? If so, what is the science behind it?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Baron Bifford posted:

My mother told me that you should not drape wet towels over the radiator to dry, otherwise the radiator will not work properly. Is this true? If so, what is the science behind it?

Not true; I guess there could be a risk in, if the radiator is unpainted / unfinished iron and the rag is very wet and left there for awhile, that it could induce rusting. But at the end of the day it's just a big chunk of warm-to-hot metal. It wouldn't affect the actual operation whatsoever.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How dangerous would it be to microwave a laptop in a lovely second hand microwave we buy cheap and throw away after?

Probably moderately dangerous. Even assuming you take out the lithium-ion battery (which you'd definitely want to do), there's still usually a small battery on the motherboard. Overheating a lithium-ion cell can cause a fire. Plus I imagine you'd have all kinds of toxic materials off-gassing as they heat up.
I wouldn't do it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Actually there's kind of some truth to this. Kind of. It won't warm the room as well when the towel is on it.

The radiator gets heat inside from hot water, and it gives heat out into the room. Heat transfer (unless it's radiation) works by temperature differential (the colder the recipient, the more heat gets transferred), so if the towel gets warm and the radiator is only touching the towel, the water will leave the radiator just as hot as it entered, and will not have given your room any of its heat. Of course, the towel will get warm, give some of that heat off, and in the end your room will get some heat. Just maybe not as much.

Also the towel will block line-of-sight radiation heat from your room, so the room might not get heated as evenly (and so not feel as nice) if this is a significant part of how the radiator works.

All in all though, probably not a big deal. I always keep stuff off of radiators because I'm fire paranoid, but in reality radiators do not get hot enough to start a fire.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

For this and all your microwave abuse questions: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7nrzWTrwntg

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Can anyone who works with MTBF calculations and expected failure rates explain it to me?

For some background, a supplier is claiming that a product with an 8-year MTBF has an expected failure rate of 12.5% per year. That means over the cause of a 5-year warranty, we can expect to have 62.5% of all deployed units replaced. By the end of the 8th year after deployment we can expect all units to have failed once.

Does this all sound correct? All my googling on MTBF suggests it does not even apply in this fashion but my knowledge is not good enough to argue with our supplier.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Does anyone know about car air con systems? I'd like to know which is more efficient in a typical car: Turning the air con on and off, or turning the temperature up? The manual never gets that specific.

Assume that for option one I leave the temperature dial on minimum (non-climate controlled car) but press the AC button periodically.

For option two I leave the AC on but move the temperature dial up a little, resulting in the same average temperature as option one.

The problem is I don't know enough about how a car's air con works to know which is better. I can guess two key questions:
  • When you turn the temp dial up above the coldest, does the AC do less work or does it just let some hot air in from the engine?
  • How long would the AC need to be off before the on/off method is more efficient than leaving it on?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Nition posted:

Does anyone know about car air con systems? I'd like to know which is more efficient in a typical car: Turning the air con on and off, or turning the temperature up? The manual never gets that specific.

Assume that for option one I leave the temperature dial on minimum (non-climate controlled car) but press the AC button periodically.

For option two I leave the AC on but move the temperature dial up a little, resulting in the same average temperature as option one.

The problem is I don't know enough about how a car's air con works to know which is better. I can guess two key questions:
  • When you turn the temp dial up above the coldest, does the AC do less work or does it just let some hot air in from the engine?
  • How long would the AC need to be off before the on/off method is more efficient than leaving it on?

I'm pretty sure you've got it right on the first point, it's just a matter of mixing. A car AC is just like your home AC, and your home AC is either on or off, depending on what the thermostat says. So, theoretically, it'd be more efficient to follow that pattern on your own (unless you've got an automated climate control system, which might do it on its own), but I kinda doubt it'd be terribly significant.

(Bonus fact: the speed at which opening the windows becomes a greater impact on efficiency than the AC is apparently somewhere in the 40s (mph), depending on how aerodynamic your car is).

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Thanks! Yeah, I did know that opening the windows was generally worse than AC on the highway. And yeah, I'm assuming a car without climate control here, just a big ol' cold->hot dial.

In reality I know it probably makes a tiny difference anyway, though there is a noticeable loss of power in my tiny car when the AC comes on. Just interested in what's actually going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Sanford posted:

Can anyone who works with MTBF calculations and expected failure rates explain it to me?

For some background, a supplier is claiming that a product with an 8-year MTBF has an expected failure rate of 12.5% per year. That means over the cause of a 5-year warranty, we can expect to have 62.5% of all deployed units replaced. By the end of the 8th year after deployment we can expect all units to have failed once.

Does this all sound correct? All my googling on MTBF suggests it does not even apply in this fashion but my knowledge is not good enough to argue with our supplier.

MTBF is Mean Time Between Failure. So if the MTBF is 8 years, 50% of them will have failed before 8 years, and 50% of them will still be running at 8 years.

Tell him he keeps using that word. You do not think it means what he thinks it means.