Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm planning on moving my older cat to wet food exclusively. She's always had bad teeth despite getting them cleaned annually and has lost quite a few over the years. This doesn't seem to affect her eating dry food, but all the same I figured she'd probably prefer something softer.

How much should I be giving her a day? She's a big cat in general and could probably stand to lose a pound or two, but I also don't want to starve her (that and she'll just go over to my other cat's food bowl and chow down there). I was planning on buying 5.8 oz cans of Royal Canin Urinary SO, and maybe dividing it so she gets half a can in the morning and half in the evening. Does that sound about right?

And assuming she doesn't eat it all in one sitting, is it ok to leave the wet food out? If it stays out for a few hours, should I add a smidgen of water to it to keep moist?

Sorry if these questions sound incredibly basic, but this'll be the first time in my life I've ever dealt with wet cat food with any regularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Wet food dries up pretty quickly and your cat probably won't want to eat it after a few hours. I feed my cats only wet food and usually scoop a big table spoon at a time so that they eat the entire thing and it doesn't go to waste. Your cat will probably need more than one can per day, but it really depends how big she/he is. I wouldn't add water. Just saran wrap it and put it in the fridge, or dump it back in the can. I'm pretty sure my cat's don't drink water. All the liquid they need is in the wet food.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

If there is one thing I pride myself on, it's science, and as of yet, you have yet to provide a source for that "adorable" claim post picture

Well then, in the name of science, meet Surma:

quote:

In this case, your best chance of avoiding nuclear butt is to buy another small bag of Science Diet to use to do a nice, slow transition to new food. Many of the "premium" diets can be very rich, and so cold switches from a diet like Science Diet can be... difficult.

As far as recommended diets, I recommend Wellness, Innova products (EVO, California Naturals... the wet foods.... they had some dry food production issues recently), Orijen... Taste of the Wild (though I'm not a big fan of how many varied protein sources they put in, it's still a good food). Remember to make sure to check for the AAFCO statement of "all life stages" or "for growth." Tested is best, formulated for is fine.

I bought a big bag of Call of the Wild and some more science daily for the transition, I also plan on making a lot of his treats, which should help a bit. Though after making some of the chicken liver from the second page I had to clean my oven, but that's probably just because it was dirty anyway and had lots of grime for the smell to stick to.

flyable
Feb 22, 2010
I'm currently feeding my dogs Blue Buffalo chicken and rice adult formula, but today when I was shopping I noticed BB has a new Freedom Grain-Free formula. Anyone tried it yet? I haven't been able to find a comparison, but these are the ingredients:

quote:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Peas, Potatoes, Pea Starch, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Turkey Meal, Pea Fiber, Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Chicken Flavor, Alfalfa Meal, Potato Starch, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Garlic, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Dried Chicory Root, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product

The only things that stick out to me is garlic (which I know some people are concerned about with anemia), alfalfa, and the tomato pomace (which I thought was a filler?), but I don't know that they are listed high enough on the ingredients list to be of concern. Also, caramel? That seems like a weird ingredient.

Comparatively, the regular chicken and rice formula is

quote:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Peas, Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Potatoes, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Alfalfa Meal, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Apples, Blackberries, Pomegranate, Spinach, Pumpkin, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Garlic, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Turmeric, Sunflower Oil (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Fish Oil (source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Dried Chicory Root, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product

It's also about the same price, so I'm wondering if I should make a switch.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I just got a new cat and I'm not sure which dry food to feed them. The old cat (Jimmy) hates the new cat (Wendy)'s wet food but she'll eat his wet food so that's easy but they like each other's dry food.

Both are Burmese, Jimmy is almost 10 and Wendy is about 5 and half. Jimmy is a bit chubby (probably between 5-6 on the scale) and Wendy is a 5.

Jimmy currently eats Royal Canin Oral Sensitive 30 due to a recommendation from a vet before to change his diet to a more dental-friendly one. They also recommended brushing his teeth and we tried that but yeah :v:

Wendy eats Royal Canin Persian (it's for all snub-nosed breeds according to Wendy's previous owner who was a breeder) and it looks like it's better quality than the dental food that Jimmy eats but I'm not sure if it'd be okay to switch away from that.

Would it be an awful idea to have two different dry foods for them to nibble on? Both are free-fed dry food, no problems there both only nibble on it a little. Jimmy tends to graze on his wet food over a length of time but Wendy just eats the whole portion in less than 5 minutes so I figure that we'll need to train Jimmy to eat wet food faster but I'm not sure how to do this.

Here's Wendy sitting in Jimmy's favorite bed and Jimmy being all :saddowns: about it behind her

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Tomato Soup posted:

Jimmy tends to graze on his wet food over a length of time but Wendy just eats the whole portion in less than 5 minutes so I figure that we'll need to train Jimmy to eat wet food faster but I'm not sure how to do this.

HAHA! I'd love to hear an answer for this. I've been stuck in this situation for 4-5 years. What I did was stop free feeding dry and portioning it out to feeding them twice a day and my orange kitty Squiggles who is very skittish eventually...kinda... got used to the schedule and runs in during feeding time, but Porch Kitty (indoor cat) still gobbles up a lot of the food in one gulp and then goes to steal Squiggles' food.

The slim cat has kinda helped with this since Porch Kitty can still get food all day with a little effort but it's still not a perfect situation since Squiggles won't use it.

I'd love to hear other options though. And your kitties are adorable!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Why is my dog so thirsty all the time? He's a Pembroke Welsh Corgi somewhere between 25-30 lbs and right now, with the weather as cold as it is, he's not doing a whole lot of running around. I give him a little over 2 cups of water when I get up in the morning and by the time I leave for work he's drank nearly the entire bowl. He'll even lick the snow off the ground or off my boots when I walk him. I try to give him only a little water when I get home from work so that he doesn't have to piss at night, but should I be giving him more water than that? Is dog food just really dehydrating?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

C-Euro posted:

Why is my dog so thirsty all the time? He's a Pembroke Welsh Corgi somewhere between 25-30 lbs and right now, with the weather as cold as it is, he's not doing a whole lot of running around. I give him a little over 2 cups of water when I get up in the morning and by the time I leave for work he's drank nearly the entire bowl. He'll even lick the snow off the ground or off my boots when I walk him. I try to give him only a little water when I get home from work so that he doesn't have to piss at night, but should I be giving him more water than that? Is dog food just really dehydrating?
It's not clear from your post how much water he's actually drinking in a day. If you're only giving him 2 cups in the morning, that's not enough. If he's drinking much more than about 5-6 cups of water a day, or if he is drinking and/or urinating more than he used to, you should get this checked out by your vet. There's a pretty long list of diseases that can cause increased water intake. I would let him drink as much as he wants in the meantime (short of vomiting it up or peeing all over your house, I guess).

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Found out my parents' dog has kidney problems and an estimated 6 months left to live because they gave him some of those Waggin' Train chicken jerky treats. He's about five.

:smith:

On an unrelated topic, I've been giving my cat freeze-dried treats. Should I be soaking them in water? He has been drinking a lot more since I started giving them to him.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Does anyone have an opinion on Dog Food Advisor? I've been feeding my 3-year-old Wheaten Natural Balance LID Sweet Potato & Bison Grain Free food since we got him as a puppy and I was kind of surprised to see it rated so poorly on the site.

I was considering switching to a brand that is easier for me to get (nearest pet store doesn't carry it, anymore) - but is this site accurate in its reviews? I looked through a few and they seemed to be reasonable.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

pocket pool posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Dog Food Advisor? I've been feeding my 3-year-old Wheaten Natural Balance LID Sweet Potato & Bison Grain Free food since we got him as a puppy and I was kind of surprised to see it rated so poorly on the site.

I was considering switching to a brand that is easier for me to get (nearest pet store doesn't carry it, anymore) - but is this site accurate in its reviews? I looked through a few and they seemed to be reasonable.

Dog Food Advisor should be called "Buzz word dog food advisor." They hate grains, think that pro and pre biotics are amazing and should be in everything, have problems with things maybe being genetically modified, and a bunch of other problems.

I don't use them, they're heavily biased to the "premium or die" mindset and push people to not taking prescription diets with as much hate as they throw on ingredients even though they always have the "use prescription diets yay" phrase that for some reason removes them from responsibility.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

pocket pool posted:

I did some manual research and chose Merrick Grain Free Real Duck & Sweet Potato. I haven't looked at Dog Food Advisor before, so I'm happy to report that the food we use is 5-Star rated, but I just use the info in the Nutrition thread to make a decision. Not sure if it would be easier for you to get or not. e:^^^ I'm less happy to report the high rating for my food

Have you looked at Petflow.com before? I know for the food we use it's a little more expensive/lb than buying locally and the pet store is literally 4 minutes from my house, so it doesn't do much good for us but it might be great for you to get food that might not be otherwise convenient to get.

mcswizzle fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 8, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
My dog has pancreatis and will need to switch brands.

She's doing a bland diet for a week or so, then will need to get on some kind of low-fat food.

Any suggestions? The vet is pushing the Purina brand that they get paid to push. Doing a google search shows a few others, but didnt know if anyone had first-hand experience or knew off the top of their heads to save me some research? I live in Vermont, so getting some of the brands you guys talk about won't be easy.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

mcswizzle posted:

I did some manual research and chose Merrick Grain Free Real Duck & Sweet Potato. I haven't looked at Dog Food Advisor before, so I'm happy to report that the food we use is 5-Star rated, but I just use the info in the Nutrition thread to make a decision. Not sure if it would be easier for you to get or not. e:^^^ I'm less happy to report the high rating for my food

Have you looked at Petflow.com before? I know for the food we use it's a little more expensive/lb than buying locally and the pet store is literally 4 minutes from my house, so it doesn't do much good for us but it might be great for you to get food that might not be otherwise convenient to get.
I was looking at Solid Gold or Blue Buffalo, (both of which they carry) but the price on the Merrick is a bit more attractive. Certainly more attractive than the Solid Gold. I'll check and see if they have it.

The pet store is super close for me, too, so I'd probably just swap his food versus ordering it. But thanks for the suggestion!

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

I feed Applaws dry to my 6 month old kittens (had ordered for adults but have the kitten food on the way to feed them up to 12 or 14 months, I had been feeding them wet food for cats and kittens too so I don't think they missed out on too much) because its the only one with a grain free kitten kibble that isn't as expensive as Orijin or Acana. We don't have the other brands that you listed over here, or at least I haven't seen them in the stores or on the internet sites.

Is Applaws a top dry food for cats?

DRY KITTEN FOOD
CHICKEN

Composition:

Dry Chicken Meat Meal (min. 58%), Dry Potato (min. 10%), Chicken Mince (min. 9%), Poultry Oil (min. 7%, source of omega 6), Poultry Gravy (min. 3%), Beet Pulp (min. 3%), Dry Whole Eggs (min. 3%), Salmon Oil (min. 2.6% source of Omega 3, EPA & DHA), Brewers Dried Yeast, Cellulose Plant Fibre (min. 1%), Minerals, Cranberry Extract, Sodium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Seaweed/Kelp, Cranberry, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Yucca Extract, Citrus Extract, Rosemary Extract.

Additives:

Nutritional Additives: Vitamin A (retinyl acetate) 25,305 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) 1,745 IU/kg, Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol acetate) 558 IU/kg; Trace Elements: Selenium from Sodium Selenite 0.13 mg/kg, Iodine from Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 1.75mg/kg, Iron from Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate 61 mg, Copper from Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 9mg/kg, Manganese from Manganous Sulphate Monohydrate 26mg/kg, Zinc from Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 140 mg/kg. Technological Additives: Tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin.

Analytical Constituents:

Protein 48%, Crude Oils and Fats 21%, Crude Fibres 3%, Inorganic Matter 9.9%, Calcium 2.0%, Phosphorous 1.5%, Taurine 2000 mg/kg, <10.5% Carbohydrates

No added artificial colourants, flavourings or preservatives.

Edit: After googling a bunch, it seems to be a good food. Half of their meals are canned food anyway so they should be fine.

lorabel fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 14, 2014

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

My dog has pancreatis and will need to switch brands.

She's doing a bland diet for a week or so, then will need to get on some kind of low-fat food.

Any suggestions? The vet is pushing the Purina brand that they get paid to push. Doing a google search shows a few others, but didnt know if anyone had first-hand experience or knew off the top of their heads to save me some research? I live in Vermont, so getting some of the brands you guys talk about won't be easy.

Veterinarians do not get paid to push pet food, don't perpetuate that stupidity. Your veterinarian is recommending the diet because it is clinically proven to work. If the thought of prescription diet makes you that sad, you can go to a service like [url=https://secure.balanceit.com/ balance it [/URL] and have a board certified veterinary nutritionist formulate a diet especially for the needs of your dog.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Enelrahc posted:

Veterinarians do not get paid to push pet food, don't perpetuate that stupidity.

Every single one of our dealers gets paid to sell our products. Sell 100 ton and get 10 cents per ton sold. Sell 200, get 20 cents per.

Sell our 20 pallets of our dog food and get a bonus check at the end of the month.

Do you know for sure that Purina doesn't cut the office a check at month/year end based on volume sold?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 11, 2014

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Spermy Smurf posted:

Every single one of our dealers gets paid to sell our products. Sell 100 ton and get 10 cents per ton sold. Sell 200, get 20 cents per.

Sell our 20 pallets of our dog food and get a bonus check at the end of the month.

Do you know for sure that Purina doesn't cut the office a check at month/year end based on volume sold?
This does not happen. Veterinarians make a profit on the food they sell, just like Petco or any other store does. Food companies may buy a clinic lunch in exchange for getting an hour of their time to teach them about a new product or something, but in my experience food companies just as likely to do this at a clinic that is not selling their products (because they want to get their foot in the door) as one that is. Most major food companies also have a clinic feeding program that allows veterinary staff to order a limited amount of food for their own pets at a slight discount up to a few times per year.

None of these "benefits" have anything to do with the quantity of food sold, and the same things happen with a lot of drug companies, distributors, etc. -- it's not unique to food. No one is getting cash kickbacks for pushing specific products.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The holistic supplement dealer actually buys us more lunches and sends more free stuff than Purina/Hills/Iams/Royal Canin combined, and we sell all those diets.

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
My dog is quite emaciated. We picked him up as a stray on Sunday in Arizona. The veterinarian who first treated him said to feed him adult formula so as not to introduce too much protein too quickly, and the vet he saw yesterday in New Jersey said to give him puppy formula to help fatten him up a little more quickly.

We're currently feeding him Nutro Ultra Puppy (got a small back of it for zilch), but I want to switch to Holistic Selects. A friend's dog does very well on it, and it's got less bad stuff than Nutro.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Crooked Booty posted:

This does not happen.

But... I work for a company that does exactly this, and we only started doing it because we were losing feed stores and other businesses to companies like Purina and Eukanuba.

That is why I find it nearly impossible to believe that vets aren't getting some kind of quarterly check based on volume of product sold. The pet shop that you buy your dog food at gets a check, so your vet might too. We don't sell to vets specifically, but if every other store is being offered a cash bonus from Purina to switch from our brands to theirs....

I may be wrong, and I hope I am, but people telling me it doesn't happen when I drat well know it happens everywhere else kind of annoys me.

Edit. VVVV that makes some sense then.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 11, 2014

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
The difference is that feed store owners aren't overseen by a state licensing board that investigates complaints about the ethics of their recommendations. Kickbacks to veterinarians are explicitly illegal in a number of states. I'm not sure what better evidence you want other than a bunch of veterinarians and vet students telling you it doesn't work that way.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Kickbacks being a no-no is even stated in the Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics with the AVMA!

https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Pages/Principles-of-Veterinary-Medical-Ethics-of-the-AVMA.aspx

Section V.

Edit: I am a vet, so that's where my experience in this comes.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 12, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I have been thoroughly humbled.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Also a vet, also not receiving any kickbacks for food sales. In fact, food is an incredibly low profit margin part of veterinary practice.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Spermy Smurf posted:

I have been thoroughly humbled.

Hey, you've got reasons to think so, dont feel bad. It's a very common thing for people to believe, and a lot of vets are very touchy about being accused of it because it leads to people not taking RX diets and questioning our ethics (and the fact that 99% of people in vet med aren't doing the job for money even though we should be trying to get more money with our crippling school debt). Heck, a few days ago a client declined a RX diet I recommended because they didn't like the ingredients. Even after explaining the reason why, they still didn't take it, and are using a sub-par (and in some cases contraindicated) diet for the disease I'm trying to treat for.

Now, there are unethical people in every field, but there aren't that many in vet med - they don't last long.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

Hey, you've got reasons to think so, dont feel bad. It's a very common thing for people to believe, and a lot of vets are very touchy about being accused of it because it leads to people not taking RX diets and questioning our ethics (and the fact that 99% of people in vet med aren't doing the job for money even though we should be trying to get more money with our crippling school debt). Heck, a few days ago a client declined a RX diet I recommended because they didn't like the ingredients. Even after explaining the reason why, they still didn't take it, and are using a sub-par (and in some cases contraindicated) diet for the disease I'm trying to treat for.

Now, there are unethical people in every field, but there aren't that many in vet med - they don't last long.

Actually, that guy came back two days later for the RX food. Made me super happy.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Dr. Chaco posted:

Actually, that guy came back two days later for the RX food. Made me super happy.

:3:

And why you tell me this in SA Nutrition Thread, of all places.

LyriumLove
Dec 8, 2013
We have seven cats. All free-fed Taste of The Wild. All fixed and healthy, etc. We used to feed them NAture's Balance (I think that is the name of it) but one of our cats developed a hairball condition related to it and vet recommended an RX diet. Cat just refused every single dry and wet food we bought.Switched back to Taste of the Wild dry, all is well in the realm. Problem is, we supplemented with a small amount of wet food, once a day, 5-6 times a week. But we were giving them Fancy Feast's Elegant medleys. They seemed to like the greens in them. After researching the ingredients, I decided to discontinue that brand. Now their coats look duller and of course they are quite displeased with me. We have tried a bunch of different brands from the vet's office but they don't seem to take to them. Any suggestions on quality canned cat food with greens in them, that seem to be well liked?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
I think I'm going to get some pics of Artemis and Jada and get the swarms opinion of their size. Neither of them seem fat to me, and I try to check their ribs every few days and adjust food relative to how they feel.

Artemis has a fairly pronounced tuck, her ribs are easily felt when rubbing her chest and for the most part she doesn't seem to have "loose" skin (not sure if this is an indicator or not). She does have a little bit of loose skin on her back near the back of her neck, basically the scruff. I imagine that's normal but it's dissimilar to the rest of her body. She's very muscular and solidly built. She's about 45-50lbs, and comes up to around my knee (maybe...12 inches? at the shoulder - I'm terrible at estimating length/height. Everyone looks short from way up here in 6'5"ville).

Jada is definitely a bigger dog. Bigger body, bigger appetite. She also has a fairly pronounced tuck, not quite as broad chest with ribs that are again easily identified. Honestly, I think that even though this is the case she might be slightly fattier than she needs to be. You can definitely feel the ribs and they are pronounced, but not as much as they are in Artemis. Considering this is a primary indicator of the level of obesity in dogs, is it common for two dogs of different body types to have such different feelings? Jada's ribs are easily felt, again, but not so much as they are with Artemis. Jada is closing in on (or might already be at) 60lbs, and is a solid 3-5" taller at the shoulders than Artemis. The biggest difference is Jada has a lot more "loose skin"...if you put your hands on her and shake her she wiggles like Fat Bastard from Goldmember post-lap band surgery. Jada has never been bigger than she is now so I can't explain it that way. I always attributed it to her still being a growing dog and that the skin is growing to accommodate for an upcoming growth spurt. Is that the way it normally goes?

I'll try to get some good above/beside pictures tonight when I get home of each of them. Sorry for the :words: version but maybe this will help with my understanding.

e: here are the pics. Don't mind the PJ pants or lovely looking runner

Jada profile:

Jada from above attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

Artemis profile:

Artemis from above attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

mcswizzle fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 14, 2014

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
These are my kittens: Chewie (front) and Cricket (rear):

Cricket is (and Chewie by default) on a prescription diet (Hill's bladder health). From looking at the ingredients, there's plenty of corn gluten in there and I was wondering if there are any higher protein prescription bladder health alternatives? To be clear, I'm not in any way interested in switching to a non-prescription brand, but figure if I had a name of a healthier alternative, I could ask my vet to order it for him.

Nickelodeon Household fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 14, 2014

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

spregalia posted:

Cricket is (and Chewie by default) on a prescription diet (Hill's bladder health). From looking at the ingredients, there's plenty of corn gluten in there and I was wondering if there are any higher protein prescription bladder health alternatives? To be clear, I'm not in any way interested in switching to a non-prescription brand, but figure if I had a name of a healthier alternative, I could ask my vet to order it for him.

If your vet wants you to stay with prescription foods then I think the only way you could make it healthier is just feeding the cat the same thing but canned. If it's too expensive only feeding your cats canned, try just switching out one meal a day with it.

lorabel fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 14, 2014

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

spregalia posted:

Unfortunately there really isn't. There are some "premium" brands out there that make "urinary health" foods but have never done testing on them to even see if they work. I've had patients switch over to have their issue flare again - Wysong is the worst culprit of this. The problem is that the testing necessary to prove that the diets do what they're supposed to costs money, which many of these smaller companies aren't willing to do.

For the prescription diets, unfortunately we're limited to Hill's, Royal Canin, Iams, Purina, and maybe one or two others.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Thanks for the responses. I didn't have high hopes to begin with, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

LyriumLove
Dec 8, 2013
I picked up the Get Naked cat treats for Furball control and Urinary Tract health a few weeks ago. My cats LOVE them and they really do help with their assigned issues. The litter boxes aren't as "stinky" and not nearly as many hairballs, virtually none recently from our long-haired kitty. I picked them up at my local Pet Supplies Plus but it seems you can also get them from Drs Foster and Smith and the Pet Supplies website. :)

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
My dog loves Stella & Chewy's, but it gets really expensive considering how much she eats. Anyone have ideas for a less expensive healthy food that can help us "fill out" the bowl?

We tried Innova EVO and Merrick dry food, but she hardly ever ate it and would just eat the yummies that my dad fed her (ground beef, leftover steak, etc.) and we ended up throwing a lot of it away.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
No sane dog is going to eat kibble when steak and poo poo are the other options. It doesn't matter what brand you pick. Stop giving her "yummies" if you want her to eat kibble (and god I hope you don't use that word in public).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

She may also learn that if she holds out that she'll get the good stuff, as in, she has your dad trained. Dogs generally won't starve themselves to death if there's food available.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
After finally moving out from my parent's house I've been able to monitor my pup Lily's food intake significantly better. My parents have three dogs that eat some form of Purina or whatever, and they constantly leave the food bowl full for them to graze on. I hated it because Lily was a rescue and had that thing going on where she would always need to eat food if it was around, probably from her previous life on the streets where she didn't know when she'd find food next.

Anyway, I'm feeding her Merrick now and have been measuring out her portions. She's a small dog (part chihuahua and some pit bull) but she plumped up at home. We've been moved out for about a month now and she's lost some noticeable fat and just seems happier. Her fur is also not stinky like doritos, hurray!

I was happy to check into this thread and see that Merrick was on the premium list. I basically went to Petco and spent an hour looking at every single food until I settled on that one, so I'm happy with myself that I made a seemingly good choice.

Thanks for all the info here, I need to now focus on my cat losing weight. I went with Blue Buffalo for her (not sure which kind exactly) but I may go with something else next time. She hates wet food so dry is the only option for me. She does, however, love water (no underlying issues, she just really likes to drink, especially from her own cup at the table while I eat). I've cut back on her food amounts (same issues with her at my parent's house that my dog had) and I think she's losing weight, her poo poo certainly doesn't stink as much as well. I also get more opportunities to play with her which I think is helping. I'm concerned that she may never lose the hanging pouch that she has though. I'm not sure if it's from being fixed or if she really was just that fat, hopefully it slims down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
What Ol' Roy doesn't even make the list? It's that bad?

I only asked because an acquaintance's dachshund has been upchucking it lately. It's like... Walmart's dog food brand.