Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BluePacific
Apr 3, 2010
Dropped in an actual running engine into my 98' GS500, its the first time the bike has ran in almost 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
New pistons, rings, cylinders honed and a cylinder head rebuild. :suicide:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Didn't ride it, because apparently I'm down to the cords on my rear. Booo.

BluePacific posted:

Dropped in an actual running engine into my 98' GS500, its the first time the bike has ran in almost 6 years.

This is probably the most time invested in a GS500 ever :v:

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Stripped down my BS34s for a ultrasonic clean and rebuild. Junked a pilot jet slot with a badly chosen screwdriver (it was frozen all to hell anyway), so I'm bringing the carbs to a machinist buddy of mine to extract the little bastard.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Today I swap the whole wiring harness because my PO was a loving moron. Also, oil change, coolant replaced with distilled + water wetter, Woodcraft frame sliders installed, exhaust valve removed, FlashTune ECU installed, etc etc etc. I want to leave it as a streetfighter, kinda. Been riding it around with the front removed and I love it. I like how GSXRs can run without the cluster connected.

Monday/Tuesday it gets a new chain, Vortex steel -1/+0 sprockets, Vesrah RJL pads up front, and a new master cylinder (thanks for the recall, Suzuki).

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 7, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Monday/Tuesday it gets a new chain, Vortex steel -1/+0 sprockets, Vesrah RJL pads up front, and a new master cylinder (thanks for the recall, Suzuki).

Yeah I was going to have my brake fluid flushed so that recall conveniently saved me dollars! Thanks Suzuki!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Over the weekend my buddy and I finished installing the head on his ninja 250. Only to find a significant head gasket leak. After about a half hour of crying we took the bike entirely apart again to redo the gasket and apply copper gasket spray.

4.5 hours later I am riding the fucker around the block! No leaks.

Feels goodman.

Learned a neat trick for maintaining timing. Mark the cam gear and chain with a window marker. Makes reinstalling cam gears super easy.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Well poo poo, getting that pilot jet out was a total breeze with the right extractor, took all of 10 seconds. Probably didn't hurt that I'd been basting the fucker with penetrating oil all week. Gonna have to wait on ordering the ultrasonic cleaner and rebuild kits until after the new year though, my dog needs surgery to remove a cyst. My little buddy comes first!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you've ever wondered what the next-to-worst-case of not putting a manual cam chain tensioner into a bike that is known to have weak ones stock... well... today I figured out what started the cascading failure in my 675.

Until today I figured I'd just run into the issue a lot of people have of the bottom end sucking oiling wise, especially on the 06-08 motor.
Head - hmm, I never noticed that weird mark there before:

Ok... it travels down into the bottom end.

A lot of material missing on either side of where the cam chain travels:

Note the *CRACK and BULGE* in the engine casing where the chain was whipping against it - near where the case cover bolts up traveling up to some bracing cast in:

So I cut the case apart to take better pictures:

Needless to say... DEEP grooves cut into the engine casing. I'm now pretty positive that the motor ate the aluminum shavings knocked off of the engine casing walls around the cam chain, destroyed all of the bearings, and finally spun a crank and main bearing while on the track - seizing the motor.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 10, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

If you've ever wondered what the next-to-worst-case of not putting a manual cam chain tensioner into a bike that is known to have weak ones stock... well... today I figured out what started the cascading failure in my 675.

:aaaaa: drat that is a bit scary. If I ever buy one of those manual cam chain tensioner just jumped to the top of the list.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

:aaaaa: drat that is a bit scary. If I ever buy one of those manual cam chain tensioner just jumped to the top of the list.

General consensus over at the Triumph forums is that my cam chain was worn out and that was the primary issue... at the same time when I swapped to a manual CCT it stopped all the noise and chain whip. So yeah, the cam chain was the primary issue but the CCT sucking just let it all go.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Nothing too exiting:

Adjusted the clutch again on the FZR. I think I need some different springs as there's still a slight slip feeling when I get on it hard.

Adjusted the clutch on the SV650 so that I can start it again. Installed 'new' shifter peg on the SV650 so that I can shift it again. Finally bypassed the drat clutch switch. Bled the front and rear brakes again and realized it's not the bleeding, it's probably just the SV's lovely brakes that I don't like.

Moved the now-running 'racing' ninja 250 out of the garage for pickup by my buddy. Still kindof surprised that drat thing is done and back together again. We need a 'solution' for a choke. The lever thing won't work because he has no controls on the left grip anymore. Because race bike. I think it's just a cable+barrel thing, so any old plunger style choke knob should work on it.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I cut the butt off and filled it with LEDs:

E: oh and chucked some Oberon pegs on it too because the stock ones were slippery as hell and hit the ground way too early

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
This is kind of a cross post, I'm building an Ork warbike and put occasional updates in the warhammer modeling/painting thread. I though someone here might get a kick out of it.

I finished the fairing skull and fixed the teeth on the iron gob.

I also got the sights mounted for the yet-to-be-built Dakka cannons

Lastly, I pulled the front pieces off to do the final clay and plastic work on them. almost ready for the painter!

Speaking of, I have the tank ready for paint. Just waiting to here when is a good time to bring it to my guy.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

gently caress yes :hfive:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What sort of bike was that originally? Also what does that cluster come from (it certainly isn't a cruiser!) and why did you choose it specifically?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Rode it through 2ft deep flooding. Splashed the cars despondently deciding to risk it on the other side a little. Was pretty fun.

malal posted:

This is kind of a cross post, I'm building an Ork warbike and put occasional updates in the warhammer modeling/painting thread. I though someone here might get a kick out of it.

I also got the sights mounted for the yet-to-be-built Dakka cannons

Lastly, I pulled the front pieces off to do the final clay and plastic work on them. almost ready for the painter!

Speaking of, I have the tank ready for paint. Just waiting to here when is a good time to bring it to my guy.

Hands down the best custom I have ever seen!

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

malal posted:

Gotta send a "Waaagh-out" both because that's cool as poo poo and because I'm about to throw the same 7.62x1500 ammo can on the side of my bike.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

What sort of bike was that originally? Also what does that cluster come from (it certainly isn't a cruiser!) and why did you choose it specifically?

It's a yamaha V-star 1100.

I picked the instrument panel because I like having all important info in one spot, and this one is fully programmable. My other option was a series of gauges, but when I priced out what I wanted it would have been about 700 bucks. because I went into it with either ascetic in mind, the single cluster won out.

basically, I mostly ride cruisers and I'm jealous as hell of my buddy's triumph speed triple. Having the cluster right in front of your face somehow makes more sense then having it flat atop the tank where you cant see it unless you take your eyes off the road. Because It doesn't look out of place on my wacky build, I went for it.

^^^^
I was able to nab "WAAAGH" as my custom plate! and the Ammo cans kick rear end, they're pretty large hard bags. I made them removable so I can replace then with the Dakka-cannons for shows.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

malal posted:

basically, I mostly ride cruisers and I'm jealous as hell of my buddy's triumph speed triple. Having the cluster right in front of your face somehow makes more sense then having it flat atop the tank where you cant see it unless you take your eyes off the road. Because It doesn't look out of place on my wacky build, I went for it.

Function>form =/= cruisers, that's why.

That fuel tank is just amazing. Please tell me that's a radiator cap/filler cap from an old british car on the left.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The fuel cap is a radiator cap, I pulled it from the guts of a natural gas bus. I replaced the cap with a stronger rated one, it still has the over-flow hole and I wanted to avoid spilling gas!
The tank was the most fun to design, and the hardest part of the build so far. even re-jetting the carburetors (my first time ever) was a cake walk compared to getting the tank air tight.

Here's the tank before welding, I had two different guys at work help me with the TIG welds on it, took about three weeks to get it all done. (and redone!)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Took it on a quick jaunt:
http://goo.gl/maps/Gx388

ADV bikes are for babbies, do 75mph down hardpack on a sportbike.

PS California sucks don't move here.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 28, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
gently caress you bro. Cali is the promised land.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So what's the points cost going to be? :allears:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

I really enjoyed that stretch between King City and Coalinga a couple years ago. The schlep from there to Chico was less fun though.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

you should have invi- who i am i kidding i was riding bicycles. looks cool though!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

you should have invi- who i am i kidding i was riding bicycles. looks cool though!

You never come visit anymore Mr. PR.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

i know i know, I'll be more social again!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Put the old bike back together after a partial tranny rebuild. Now all that's left is to align the transmission on the engine -- run the engine with the transmission mounts loose and jiggle it around until it stops making a clattery noise and then tighten down -- and test ride a bit to see if it's ready for a few thousand mile trip in the summer. Please enjoy lovely basement pic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I love your bikes.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Stored it :(. I have to go out of town on a business trip. I'll be back in August.

So, complete detail, tank full of sta-bil, new clean oil. Coated everything exposed metal in chain oil, all the paint/plastic/anodized stuff in carnuba wax. Battery out and on a quality tender. Up on the center stand and front wheel off the ground, then under a quality cover.

I'm seriously bummed about the material condition. I was riding around the coast then had to park the bike for a couple of weeks. I came back and the forks are foamy, there's pits in the chrome, and there are flowers of corrosion on every aluminum part. Salt air sucks dick.

I'm not sure what kind of machine I'll be coming back to in 7 months.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I pulled my carbs off to clean them and investigate re-jetting to support replacing my bulky-as-gently caress airbox with pod filters. Discovered the carbs are a completely unknown model that has no references online, so I'll be going in blind in regards to re-jetting!

VVV: CV's can be be rejetted to work with pods, it's a matter of adding a tube between the filters and the carbs to act as a vacuum chamber while balancing the jet size for performance/MPG. MPG usually takes a hit due to going from 70/80 to 120-ish on the main jet, obviously.

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 6, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aren't pods basically impossible to jet because CV carbs need trumpets to work properly? Or has it got slide carbs?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've played around with velocity stacks on CV carbs on a dyno and they have a pretty minimal effect on everything. If you need that .5hp when racing, they might help, otherwise you won't notice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Aren't pods basically impossible to jet because CV carbs need trumpets to work properly? Or has it got slide carbs?

Pods are impossible to jet unless you have something to feed the air consistently into the carbs. Sort of like a box...that handles the air...so that you don't get weird crosswinds from moving your legs around on the bike. You can get them right-ish, until you look at a dyno or use them in the real world or the get wet in the rain or basically you're anywhere but a climate controlled box.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, after running the math the weight and space I save by ditching the airbox is entirely negated by how much my fuel consumption goes up with the bigger jets. Bollocks.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Post pics of your sweet cafe bike please.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Don't do it, n8r just wants to insult your bike. Don't fall into the trap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Don't do it, n8r just wants to insult your bike. Don't fall into the trap.

Should be the title of the 'post pics of your ride' thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Well after sitting for two weeks my bike refused to start this morning :smith:.

Did some troubleshooting and ended up replacing the spark plugs and now everything is happy but that was a terrifying day today. I'm about to go on a 1800 mile road trip and if that happened when I was in the middle of loving nowhere Texas that would have been rough.

After finally getting it fixed I dropped a screw from my fairing and it didn't fall out the bottom of the bike. I have no idea where that fucker went. :suicide: